PCR Testing Ending? (By CDC decree....?)

My understanding is that right now RCL requires negative PCR tests for some situations (pre-cruise, check in, mid cruise etc etc).

Based on the below link it seems that might be a limited time policy as well? Granted, end of year is a decent lead time, but this seems to say the CDC is withdrawing the "emergency use" of PCR tests for Covid?

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html  

Based on the current debacle with defining who is actually considered "vaxxed", I really hope they're a little more proactive and clear about any policy changes as a result of this.

Then again, maybe I'm interpreting the CDC press release wrong........

I just believe the testing is government paid for, as opposed to private insurance.  At some point in time, the test will end.  Many other tests can be used also.  As far as cruise ship testing, all that matters for me, is what I need to do for end of August

As long as COVID is not turning into a mild stage of nothing more than a little flue at most we will especially on cruises and other situations continue to see the need of testing, hence one year or even longer I would say at this stage.

I totally agree that RCI needs to be as communicative as possible about the rules. But keep in mind that RCI can impose testing requirements if it wants, regardless of the CDC. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

My understanding is that right now RCL requires negative PCR tests for some situations (pre-cruise, check in, mid cruise etc etc).

Based on the below link it seems that might be a limited time policy as well? Granted, end of year is a decent lead time, but this seems to say the CDC is withdrawing the "emergency use" of PCR tests for Covid?

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html  

Based on the current debacle with defining who is actually considered "vaxxed", I really hope they're a little more proactive and clear about any policy changes as a result of this.

Then again, maybe I'm interpreting the CDC press release wrong........

Laboratories performing testing procedures must adhere to whatever regulatory requirements set forth by the accrediting body they are certified by. This includes using methods accepted for use by the accrediting body. When Covid came out, The CDC approved on an emergency basis the CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel. This is a notice to certified labs that they have to switch to one of current certified Covid testing measure that have been developed and approved since the method approved under emergency use was authorized. So testing will continue, just under methods that now have permanent approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2