Jump to content

Every Feel Like You Just Can't Win But Can't Blame Anyone Either????


Recommended Posts

I was interviewed about a year ago for an article on Apple News about why cruise lovers are willing to cruise during covid-19.  I write op-ed on cruising frequently especially about NCL and the Haven.  Those that read my comments know I always attempt to be professional, realistic, and positive.  Just like many of you, I am now on my 5th cruise cancellation.  Three for NCL, one for Oceania and not one for Crystal Cruises. The last one for Crystal Cruises was exactly 8 days before we were about to leave from the Port of Nassau, Bahamas.  A fully vaccinated cruise.  

 

Different from that past cancelations, I was the one that had to cancel.  My wife was diagnosed with Covid-19 8-days prior to departure.  Before someone asks, she is doing fine and has a mild case most likely due to have being fully vaccinated.  Today she is going to have the Monoclonal Antibody Infusion.  We would be in deep financial trouble if we did not have good Travel Insurance and also a credit card that has a trip cancellation coverage. You have to count your blessing.

 

I read lost of angry posts on social media.  Blaming every cruise brand for their policies and decision.  Hateful posts to other members of the blogs.  I have every right to be really angry about my situation.  Crystal Cruises only paid me 50% of my fare.  I have to wait for insurance and Crystal to pay me back.  I am out thousands of dollars.  My NCL trip could cancel at the end of November 2021 on the Joy because of political fights with Florida. I have every right to scream at the top of my lungs a line from a famous movie, "I am mad as hell and not going to take it any more!"

 

However my reality is, it is NOT any cruise companies fault.  Not NCL, Not Crystal or anyone else.  It is Covid-19 fault.  I knew the risks after my first NCL cancelation and when the next one cancelled I was not surprised.  Disappointed but not surprised.  Then second, third and forth canceled. So I feel like I just can't win but can't blame anyone either.

 

Folks, life is sometimes NOT fair for sure.  We just have to keep a positive outlook and do our best, based on the information we currently have to make good decisions in the future.  Please attempt to be nice to each other when responding online.  We all have a story to tell and each one is emotional in its very personal way.  Cruise well everyone.

  • Like 26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Folks, life is sometimes NOT fair for sure.  We just have to keep a positive outlook and do our best, based on the information we currently have to make good decisions in the future. 

Amen!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sthrngary I am so sorry to hear that your wife got Covid and of your subsequent cruise cancellation. I am sure that she feels awful (even though it is NOT her fault!) and that you are both very sad to be missing your cruise. Covid is a very real part of our every day lives these days and unfortunately, there is no way of getting around it or even really avoiding it entirely. I am glad to hear that your wife is doing well and on her way to recovery. In the grand scheme of things, her health is far more important than any cruise. Our daughter is a nurse and she says that in the area she lives (which is one of the areas in the US being hit hard by the Delta variant) those that have gotten the vaccine are not getting nearly as sick as the unvaccinated. Definitely makes a case for getting vaccinated imho. I know that you are disappointed right now but I am also sure that you will cruise before too long. Fingers crossed for your November cruise! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SSFun said:

@Sthrngary I am so sorry to hear that your wife got Covid and of your subsequent cruise cancellation. I am sure that she feels awful (even though it is NOT her fault!) and that you are both very sad to be missing your cruise. Covid is a very real part of our every day lives these days and unfortunately, there is no way of getting around it or even really avoiding it entirely. I am glad to hear that your wife is doing well and on her way to recovery. In the grand scheme of things, her health is far more important than any cruise. Our daughter is a nurse and she says that in the area she lives (which is one of the areas in the US being hit hard by the Delta variant) those that have gotten the vaccine are not getting nearly as sick as the unvaccinated. Definitely makes a case for getting vaccinated imho. I know that you are disappointed right now but I am also sure that you will cruise before too long. Fingers crossed for your November cruise! 

Thank you, what a nice note.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It sucks, you're right..... you can't blame anyone other than yourself. You could have picked a "Safer" vacation. Unfortunately I see this being the norm for the next 6 months to 10 years.

 

Glad your wife if doing OK, it could have been worse

 

Just wait until the real stuff hits the fan, I'm talking about the dozens if not hundreds of people a week who get turned away at the pier for testing positive. Those who flew in are really up a creek. Try getting on a flight home

 

 

.

Edited by Laszlo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

It sucks, you're right..... you can't blame anyone other than yourself. You could have picked a "Safer" vacation. Unfortunately I see this being the norm for the next 6 months to 10 years.

 

Glad your wife if doing OK, it could have been worse

See, you are completely right.  It is my fault completely.  I could have picked a "A Safer" vacation.  In truth, we never go to get to the vacation.  She got Covid 8-days prior to sailing. 

 

A better quote might be, "You could have chosen a better state during a pandemic."  I love the great state of Alabama.  However the state is underutilizing the vaccine availability. That combined with the Delta variant makes for quite the cocktail.  

 

We the cruise, which was fully vaccinated.  Plus everyone at the port had to test negative to get on the ship.  That vacation was safer then going to my local grocery store where you don't know nor do you have any right to ask, if someone is vaccinated.  

 

I also agree with you that Covid-19 is here for a while.  The best we can do is be safe.  Yet, we have to live also.  Fine balance and everyone has to make their own decisions and live with them.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sthrngary  I am here to tell you one thing.  I am glad your wife is being treated and it is a mild case.  I wish you and her all the best and a quick recovery for her.

 

The rest is all small stuff.  You will get your money back because you planned well.  You will get on a cruise at some point soon, even with all the craziness in the world right now. 

 

Enjoy your time with her right now, that matters more then anything else.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary, that's good news about your wife's mild case... best wishes for her complete & uneventful recovery.

 

The rest is just window dressing.  We can get as upset as we want about cancelled vacations, but, keeping ourselves & our loved ones safe is the highest priority.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

See, you are completely right.  It is my fault completely.  I could have picked a "A Safer" vacation.  In truth, we never go to get to the vacation.  She got Covid 8-days prior to sailing. 

 

A better quote might be, "You could have chosen a better state during a pandemic."  I love the great state of Alabama.  However the state is underutilizing the vaccine availability. That combined with the Delta variant makes for quite the cocktail.  

 

We the cruise, which was fully vaccinated.  Plus everyone at the port had to test negative to get on the ship.  That vacation was safer then going to my local grocery store where you don't know nor do you have any right to ask, if someone is vaccinated.  

 

I also agree with you that Covid-19 is here for a while.  The best we can do is be safe.  Yet, we have to live also.  Fine balance and everyone has to make their own decisions and live with them.

You are right, that would have been better. Unfortunately Alabama along with a few others are going to turn into real S$%*# shows in the coming weeks and months. Like it or not, believe it or not the vaccines work. The proof is in the numbers. People can spin it all the want

 

Glad to hear your wife was fully vaccinated, unfortunately fully vaccinated people are still going to get it. Luckily for most of us it will be pretty mild

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sthrngary Doesn't Crystal have a Sail Safe policy like NCL? That is one thing that sealed the deal when we decided to cruise in August. We'll test at home before cruising so hopefully we won't get to the port surprised. Either way, we can get ouf money back. I admit that I don't follow other lines as close, but your story makes me thankful to have NCL...and insurance too of course 😊

 

I am so sorry about your wife. It is heartbreaking to hear of so nsny vaccinated people getting Covid. We try to be as safe as possible, but it's really out of our hands. I understand your frustration and feel you on the blane game. There is no blame; it's just the world we now live in 🙁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, AKR2011 said:

@Sthrngary Doesn't Crystal have a Sail Safe policy like NCL? That is one thing that sealed the deal when we decided to cruise in August. We'll test at home before cruising so hopefully we won't get to the port surprised. Either way, we can get ouf money back. I admit that I don't follow other lines as close, but your story makes me thankful to have NCL...and insurance too of course 😊

 

I am so sorry about your wife. It is heartbreaking to hear of so nsny vaccinated people getting Covid. We try to be as safe as possible, but it's really out of our hands. I understand your frustration and feel you on the blane game. There is no blame; it's just the world we now live in 🙁

No, Crystal Does not do the same policy that NCL and other brands do.  I knew that before I booked and accepted that part of their policy.  So no surprise to me.  That is why I am not angry at them.  As it relates to NCL's policies.  After three cancellations with them, I am an expert, LOL.  Regardless, I will always hedge my bets with insurance as you mentioned.  Much softer blow when you know your are covered.

 

I will be on  the NCL Joy November 2021 with my entire family so we have that to look forward too.  Thanks for the comments and cruise well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sthrngary  So sorry that your cruise was disrupted, but very happy that your wife is faring well.  I agree with other posters that loved ones are what matters most.  Certainly a disappointment, but not insurmountable!  And with prior planning, you have insurance that will hopefully cover your costs, even if you have to wait a while for it!

I have enjoyed your posts on CC, so wish you Godspeed on getting on another cruise that you can share with us!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...