Onboard Credit for Additional Gratuities

sunonfire

The last time we sailed on RCCL they had a form to allow onboard credit to be designated to a crew member as an additional gratuity. Normally we give cash but that cruise we still had onboard credit. I notified the crew members and told them how much they would receive. My question - does Celebrity allow you to do this?

From what I have been told and have done in the past, you can only designate additional gratuities for your cabin attendant. I’m not sure about butlers. You do this by going to Guest Relations and filling out a form. I have been told if you do this for a server the extra goes into a pool for all F&B staff. It is also recommended that you let the individual that you are doing this so they can look for it in their pay. Also, check your online account and make sure it is charged to your account. It may take a day or two. 

I spoke to the HR Manager at a Zenith luncheon and she advised that if you put the individuals name on the form it will go to them directly and they will be advised.   She indicated she has personal knowledge as the was the one who puts it on their pay slip.   I have left additional tips for special Baristas, Waiters, Assistant Waiters, Sommeliers,  Butlers and Room Attendants.   Being on a B2B they all thanked us personally. 

She did say if you just put an amount against a category then it goes to the pooled tip fund.   We always leave the Standard Tips in place.

Jim, I hope this is true. I didn’t want to take the chance on past cruises of the right person getting paid so I gave cash. I’ll use your method on our next cruise and follow up with the staff member. 

30 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Jim, I hope this is true. I didn’t want to take the chance on past cruises of the right person getting paid so I gave cash. I’ll use your method on our next cruise and follow up with the staff member. 

I was also the same.    Everyone I asked gave me a different story.   That is what I thought the HR Director was the right person to  ask sine she was sitting next to me.     I still like to give cash envelopes out and still I get different answers as to if you give your waiter a cash tip if they have to split it. 

I like to reward people how go above and beyond.   I one found some really pretty hand made silver pendants in Chile and gave them to the Bartender in Retreat and the Concierge.   They raved about them.   We use to also bring them chocolates.   Just something to brighten their day.

Also if you have a great staff member experience,  fill out the attention to detail card and compliment them - hopefully about mid-cruise.    They are called up front in their staff meeting and given recognition as well as a certificate for items in the shops.   Wait until you see their smiles the next time you see them.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I spoke to the HR Manager at a Zenith luncheon and she advised that if you put the individuals name on the form it will go to them directly and they will be advised.   She indicated she has personal knowledge as the was the one who puts it on their pay slip.   I have left additional tips for special Baristas, Waiters, Assistant Waiters, Sommeliers,  Butlers and Room Attendants.   Being on a B2B they all thanked us personally. 

She did say if you just put an amount against a category then it goes to the pooled tip fund.   We always leave the Standard Tips in place.

Interesting.  I tried to do this once, but was told I could only specify my butler and my cabin attendant.  Was told that tips for Luminae were pooled, and really everyone in Luminae had been awesome, so I did that.  Of course I wasn't talking to the HR manager.  My next cruise is a B2B and I have an insane amount of nonrefundable OBC on the first leg, so will give it a try and check with the people on the next leg.

9 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Interesting.  I tried to do this once, but was told I could only specify my butler and my cabin attendant.  Was told that tips for Luminae were pooled, and really everyone in Luminae had been awesome, so I did that.  Of course I wasn't talking to the HR manager.  My next cruise is a B2B and I have an insane amount of nonrefundable OBC on the first leg, so will give it a try and check with the people on the next leg.

Well as you well know.   Celebrity is consistently inconsistent.

We ate in Murano's for the complete cruise a couple times so removed the tips for Luminae and had them applied to Murano's instead.    I thought it was only fair as we hadn't even been in Luminae.