Jump to content

Deja Vu all over again....EDGE sailing Eastern Caribbean in S2-8/17-8/24


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

The letters sent out said refund or FCC.

 

The website says "Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a Future Cruise Credit will be offered."

 

I guess one interpretation of the letter would be that either a refund or FCC will be offered at Celebrity's discretion.  I'm sure most would interpret it as the customers choice.

 

Typical inconsistent communication from them.  Want to bet someone who's uncomfortable sailing now will just not get a test and claim a refund.   From the letter you and I received I would expect that to be honored but I'm sure they will only get a FCC good until 9/30/2022.

 

Yeah….there’s some ambiguity there.  If I can’t complete testing because of the lack of a close testing facility, or the lack of appointment availability, or incomplete testing results, would I get a refund?  What if I’m just worn out from all the testing and don’t want to test any more?

 

Watching this week’s cruise closely to see how that goes.  I may punt and push this out further.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, graphicguy said:

Who'd have thunk it.  A little more than a month after my last EDGE cruise-Western Caribbean-  I'm sticking my toes back in the water.  Got 3 weeks, and I'm hoping to again do a ski-live report with pictures.  But, from what I'm reading, the Eastern Caribbean leg has much worse internet speeds than my previous Western Leg.  So, we'll see.

 

Details....details...details....

 

Wasn't expecting to do this, but really wanted to do a B2B the last time, but for a variety of reasons, I couldn't.  I'm solo (again).  Want to find out why?  Check out the link below.  

 

Kind of kicking tires on new cruises. And, given I've (we've) been dormant for the last couple of years when it comes to leisure time, I'm jonesing and trying to get my "fix".  

 

Being an NCL refugee (again, reasons are buried in the thread below), I was looking for different cruise hosts.  Carnival?  Maybe. That was actually the last cruise I took before the shutdown.  WAY different vibe.  And, not sure it was one I wanted to do that again, just yet.  NCL?  Nope...fool me once (or 3-4 times) shame on me again, and again, and again and again.  It takes a while, but I learn....eventually.  Royal?  Nothing against those folks, but dang...reading their posts over in the RCCL threads, probably best for me to let that whole brigade settle in a bit before throwing myself into that mosh pit.

 

So, why not Celebrity?  Again?  Alaska?  Alaska is something I want to do with my SO,  not SOLO.  Aruba?  St Kitts?  How about Eastern Caribbean.  It's different enough from the Western side to keep my interest.  I've been through the Eastern Route before, but it's been a good long while (say about a decade).  

 

Let's stick with Celebrity.  It's new enough to keep me interested, and it was so good, I was probably going to sail them again, at some point.  Why not now?

 

OK...Celebrity, again.  Caribbean, again.  Which ship?  Summit (Babados, St Kitts-Barbados, Curacao)?  Equinox (East/West Caribbean)?  Both look like interesting.  The EDGE?  Seriously?  Well, I liked the ship....A LOT.  I wouldn't spend the first 2 days wandering around aimlessly trying to find a bathroom or my cabin or a pool......

 

EDGE it is.  Not thinking of another Sky Suite.  Let's price outa Concierge Cabin and see where we're at.

 

Here's the breakdown...and oh, by the way, pricing among all of these are within $150 of each other regardless of ship or itinerary, in the same categories....

 

Concierge Cabin-$2300

Aqua Cabin-$2,900

Sky Suite-$3,700

 

Let me dissect this, 'cause I like me some Retreat.....

 

S2 includes Premium Bev package, Streaming WiFi, Tips, $600 OBC (refundable), my TA kicks in $225 as refundable OBC.  Taking the OBC into consideration, I can get a Sky Suite in the retreat for about the same price as an Aqua Cabin and about $600 more than a Concierge cabin?  Sky Suite it is.  I'm on it like flies on sugar.

 

That's where I'm at.  Taking the exact same flights on the exact same days as before.  I can see the furrowed brows and cringes from some of you.  But, I go by my own rules.....I'm a rebel like that.

 

Got a few weeks here to go.  So, the good stuff is coming.

 

 

If you can order school supplies with OBC, I’ll send the address of my school. 🤣🤣Looking forward to your posts, as I’ll be “into the thick of it” by then. 

Edited by stinkyenglishteacher
I wrote ports. I don’t think I want to see your ports. Enough of that on your last sailing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

If you can order school supplies with OBC, I’ll send the address of my school. 🤣🤣Looking forward to your posts, as I’ll be “into the thick of it” by then. 

When do you start up, again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

Tomorrow. The kids come the following week, but I have to survive a week of grown ups. Send help! 🤣

Best to you!  Remember….deep breaths!!!!!!!!!!!  Exhale!!!!!!!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

Tomorrow. The kids come the following week, but I have to survive a week of grown ups. Send help! 🤣

My son has a week of AP training starting tomorrow, and a couple of weeks before he has students.

 

My daughter starts marching band camp tomorrow (in the freakin' dessert), and the previous director did not leave her an updated student list, and the district hasn't assigned her official email address yet, so she's not entirely sure if her new freshmen are even coming. 

 

I no longer have students... and I am okay with that.

 

Thanks for the hard work you do, @stinkyenglishteacher. I appreciate it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 3:08 PM, graphicguy said:

Watching this week’s cruise closely to see how that goes.  I may punt and push this out further.

We're on Sept 11 and would be happy to meet you😷.  Thanks again for those sites to get PCR test.  That makes me feel more comfortable that I have options if disaster happens.

Do you see the option to book the Daniel Boulud Food and wine pairing dinner? I have booked it for my cruise but I see in FAQ that people can only dine with those they are travelling with.  Wondering how they will do that dinner. 

Also the booking is for 5:30pm day of embarkation so I'm pretty sure that must just be a place marker and you will find out on board when the actual date will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@cruisingxpert….did not see the Daniel Boulud/dinner-wine pairing available to book.  Maybe already sold out?  Still trying to decide whether I’ll do Specialty Dining this sailing…..

I don't see Daniel Boulud either under the dining options  unless I click Plan all cruise dining

 

Indulge your appetite for the very best with a cruise dining experience like no other.

MAKE A RESERVATION

PLAN ALL CRUISE DINING

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

I don't see Daniel Boulud either under the dining options  unless I click Plan all cruise dining

 

Indulge your appetite for the very best with a cruise dining experience like no other.

MAKE A RESERVATION

PLAN ALL CRUISE DINING

Actually, not seeing that area on my end.  Hmmmmm…….!!!!!!  Maybe I just don’t know where to look?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@graphicguy
 

I look forward to following your posts and reading about your adventures......if the internet does not let me down!😄  We will be on the Equinox at that time.

Did your GF like the gift from your last Edge cruise?

Edited by Arzeena
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Arzeena said:

@graphicguy
 

I look forward to following your posts and reading about your adventures......if the internet does not let me down!😄  We will be on the Equinox at that time.

Did your GF like the gift from your last Edge cruise?

Cool….looking forward to hearing about your sailing, also.  Love that we’re back at sea and able to report good times.

 

GF did indeed enjoy her gift.  I actually added some to the OBC credit I had and went a little over the top.  The results were more than worth it, though.

 

She’s slammed right now.   She said they are now petitioning for more intubation machines, which they haven’t needed since March/April.  

 

She doesn’t think there’s going to be any reprieve for at least a 60-90 days with the Delta variant going crazy.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

She doesn’t think there’s going to be any reprieve for at least a 60-90 days with the Delta variant going crazy.

 

She and all the healthcare workers have been and continue to be heroes.   I just wish we could all work together to get this thing under control so she can go on a cruise!

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

She and all the healthcare workers have been and continue to be heroes.   I just wish we could all work together to get this thing under control so she can go on a cruise!

Amen to that!

 

Edited by graphicguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Bet I know what this is.......

IMG_0294.jpeg

Awesome! I just got the 30 days out  " cruise documents " email today for my September 4 cruise, so  i knew it was time to go request my luggage tags!

It's practically the only thing exciting that shows up in the mail nowadays!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Awesome! I just got the 30 days out  " cruise documents " email today for my September 4 cruise, so  i knew it was time to go request my luggage tags!

It's practically the only thing exciting that shows up in the mail nowadays!

Boy, do I hear you.  Although, I do get a mailer from NCL practically every day wanting me to book something....LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2021 at 8:42 AM, graphicguy said:

Cool….looking forward to hearing about your sailing, also.  Love that we’re back at sea and able to report good times.

 

GF did indeed enjoy her gift.  I actually added some to the OBC credit I had and went a little over the top.  The results were more than worth it, though.

 

She’s slammed right now.   She said they are now petitioning for more intubation machines, which they haven’t needed since March/April.  

 

She doesn’t think there’s going to be any reprieve for at least a 60-90 days with the Delta variant going crazy.

Oh wow. Does she need anything for work? I know we rounded up all of my husband’s respirator masks (he works with chemicals) and got them to nurses. 
 

I know supplies are a little easier to come by now (well, on the mask front), but if there’s something we can get and send that would help, please let me know. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

Oh wow. Does she need anything for work? I know we rounded up all of my husband’s respirator masks (he works with chemicals) and got them to nurses. 
 

I know supplies are a little easier to come by now (well, on the mask front), but if there’s something we can get and send that would help, please let me know. 

Just showed her your post.  She said thank you and that she wished everyone was as nice.  She hears more narcissists who care about only about their wants and “rights”….until…..she sees them weeks/month later, infected, sick and scared.

 

The silver lining, the Fed and State are way more prepared this go round.  She said she’s good (for now).

 

I personally thank you for the offer, too!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Just showed her your post.  She said thank you and that she wished everyone was as nice.  She hears more narcissists who care about only about their wants and “rights”….until…..she sees them weeks/month later, infected, sick and scared.

 

The silver lining, the Fed and State are way more prepared this go round.  She said she’s good (for now).

 

I personally thank you for the offer, too!

Absolutely. If that changes, please let me know!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Boy, do I hear you.  Although, I do get a mailer from NCL practically every day wanting me to book something....LOL!

I have 3 Next cruise certs left. Bermuda, perhaps, next summer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this relates to this cruise, I'll post it here.  Pricing for a cruise is a little like trying to find the price on a new car.  Maybe a little different these days given the shortage of new cars.  But, by the time you go to the dealerships of the brand(s) you're interested in, and see all the promos they have going, you come away with your head spinning.  Once you buy, you still don't know if you got a good deal or not in most instances.

 

I have a good TA.  She's always on the lookout for me regarding promos and pricing.  Plus, she throws some of her commission my way given I've booked with her so much.  Not necessary, but nice, nonetheless.

 

Anyway, while completing entering my info for my xPress pass on Celebrity's site, I came across this.

 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/exclusive-offers/offer-details.

 

In brief, and the important part....."Now through August 31 for the first time ever, Classic members and above (which I am and as a Captains' Club member, which is how they track how many cruises you've taken with them, and starts after your first cruise) can take advantage of our lowest rate, plus save 10%, excluding tax and fees, on Caribbean and Alaska sailings in any stateroom category from July 23, 2021 -March 31, 2022."

 

Hey.....that's me....that's my current booking.  Hot diggity dog.

 

But, not so fast Sparky!  There are Ts and Cs and fine print.  Not going to quote them here, but reading over them, I still qualify.  Since I'm past the final payment, it states I would get OBC.  Is it a ton of money?  No.  But still, it's ~$350.  That's a gift for the GF.  Or, that's a couple of massages.  Or, that's a couple of excursions, or that's 4 minutes play time in the casino.

 

Not too shabby.

 

But why didn't my TA tell me of this?  Well, because she was on vacation and I talked to the person covering for her when I booked this cruise, last minute on July 26.  Contacting my TA's cover person, she says I'm already past final payment and there's nothing she can do.  But, wait a minute, this policy was in effect at the time I made the reservation.  If that's the case, I would have qualified right then.

 

Plus, I don't think this is quite true, given Celebrity's Best Price Guarantee policy, as follows....Our Best Price Guarantee ensures you will enjoy the lowest rate on your cruise fare and your preferred promotional offer."

 

Without quoting the whole policy, it goes on further to state even after final payment, the price difference and the promotional rate can be added to the booking.

 

So, given I've used a TA, it's up to her to get this added to my booking.  She just came back from vacation, and I sent all this info to her yesterday.  I'm sure she's swamped, but time is getting short, and I know how difficult it is to get a promo added AFTER a sailing has already taken place.

 

Funny, on Celebrity's WEB site, they even state to call them directly for the price and promotional benefit to be put as a part of the booking.  They don't even state to contact the TA.

 

There is a "Best Price Guarantee" form, which I also sent to Celebrity and my TA.

 

Let's see how this plays out.

 

Here's the conundrum, if it was $10, $25, even $75, I'd let this slide.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I have 3 Next cruise certs left. Bermuda, perhaps, next summer.

I used mine up.  For the firs time in many years, I have zero NCL Cruise Next Certs.  I saw a YouTuber last night put up an NCL Alaskan cruise.  They said it was a test cruise.  But, if memory serves, NCL's first Cruise is supposed to be this weekend to Alaska.  I hadn't heard they were doing a test cruise.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Since this relates to this cruise, I'll post it here.  Pricing for a cruise is a little like trying to find the price on a new car.  Maybe a little different these days given the shortage of new cars.  But, by the time you go to the dealerships of the brand(s) you're interested in, and see all the promos they have going, you come away with your head spinning.  Once you buy, you still don't know if you got a good deal or not in most instances.

 

I have a good TA.  She's always on the lookout for me regarding promos and pricing.  Plus, she throws some of her commission my way given I've booked with her so much.  Not necessary, but nice, nonetheless.

 

Anyway, while completing entering my info for my xPress pass on Celebrity's site, I came across this.

 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/exclusive-offers/offer-details.

 

In brief, and the important part....."Now through August 31 for the first time ever, Classic members and above (which I am and as a Captains' Club member, which is how they track how many cruises you've taken with them, and starts after your first cruise) can take advantage of our lowest rate, plus save 10%, excluding tax and fees, on Caribbean and Alaska sailings in any stateroom category from July 23, 2021 -March 31, 2022."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

@graphicguy - There are quite a few postings regarding this 10% discount for Captain's Club Members (I'm a Zenith member so that tells you how much I love Celebrity!!! and the way you're going you'll be a Zenith member too!!!)  and completing the Best Price Guarantee Form.  I definitely benefited from this promo.  I got the first email regarding this in early July.  My Sept 4 Edge sailing was paid in full but I completed and submitted the Best Price Guarantee Form and subsequently have a $290 Non-Refundable OBC on my sailing.  Final payments were not made on my November 3 and November 8 Summit sailing so my travel agent was able to re-price them saving me over $800 on each sailing.  Not too bad.  Since your sailing date is very soon your TA may have to call Celebrity and intervene to make sure the OBC gets issued in time.  

 

It's great that you have such a good TA.  Mine is good BUT she doesn't proactively look for reductions in price after the initial booking.  I am constantly checking prices, promos, etc and when I find one that applies I get in touch with her and she immediately reduces price, etc. but I'm the one who has to notify her that there's been a price drop (not the other way around).  Years ago I did outside sales for a local travel agency and I was constantly checking prices for my clients' current bookings and reducing pricing as applicable.  But I guess those "good old days" are gone -- it's "every man for himself".

 

Good luck getting your OBC applied in a timely fashion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...