Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests

Richk582

Letter that will be sent to passengers soon....

Dear Valued Guest,

As the entire travel industry continues to emerge from the restrictions of the global pandemic, Crystal continues to develop more meaningful experiences for travelers. For cruising in particular, recent positive developments now allow ships to sail into and out of U.S. ports. Given these rapid advances, Crystal will be adding Miami, Florida as both a port of call and embarkation option to all of our Luxury Bahamas Escape cruises effective August 7, 2021.

Regarding Crystal Serenity’s first stop and the embarkation of guests in Miami on August 9, please be assured that we appreciate and will be guided by CDC health and safety regulations as well as Florida law regarding the acceptance of unvaccinated guests. Crystal will welcome a capacity-controlled number of unvaccinated guests on board and additional protocols will be in place for unvaccinated travelers. Please note that unvaccinated guests may not be allowed to go ashore in in some ports of The Bahamas based on that nation’s policies.

Miami is as famous for its Art Deco Historic District as for its spectacular shopping, dining and boating. Explore South Beach for a glimpse of pastel-colored hotels, trendy shops and one of the most iconic beaches in the world. Savor Cuban cuisine in vibrant Little Havana, a center of Miami’s social and cultural activity. Explore the exotic Everglades, visit the quaint al fresco restaurants of Coconut Grove, Miami’s oldest neighborhood, or shop the eclectic galleries of fashionable Wynwood. Diverse and intriguing, this truly international city has a vibe and an allure all its own.

Please be advised that our website will be updated within the coming days to reflect this change. For easy reference, below are both the original and enhanced itineraries. The changes are highlighted in teal below:

Original Itinerary:

Day Location Arrive Depart
1 Nassau, Bahamas Embark pm 7 pm
2 Bimini, Bahamas 8 am Overnight
3 Bimini, Bahamas - 6 am
  Cruising the Coast of The Bahamas - -
4 Great Exuma, Bahamas 7 am 7 pm
5 San Salvador, Bahamas 7 am 7 pm
6 Long Island, Bahamas 7 am 5 pm
7 Cruising the Coast of The Bahamas - -
8 Nassau, Bahamas 6 am Disembark am

Enhanced Itinerary:

Day Location Arrive Depart
1 Nassau, Bahamas Embark pm 7 pm
2 Bimini, Bahamas 8 am 6 pm
3 Miami, Florida, U.S. 8 am 5 pm
4 San Salvador Island, Bahamas 1 pm 7 pm
5 Great Exuma, Bahamas 7 am 7 pm
6 Long Island, Bahamas 7 am 5 pm
7 Cruising the Coast of The Bahamas - -
8 Nassau, Bahamas 6 am Disembark am

For information on protocols and policies as they relate to embarking in Miami, please refer to our Crystal Clean+ safety measures found here.

Should you have any questions, please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations team at (800) 290-0032.

On behalf of all of us at Crystal, including our award-winning officers and crew, we look forward to welcoming you on board Crystal Serenity very soon.

Regards,

Crystal
Guest Services

• Like 1

I just received the email.  So our August 7 cruise will no longer be fully vaccinated. We are not happy about this complete change in policy. 

If we are able to go to Bimini why can’t we remain overnight? My guess is Crystal is hoping to increase the number of passengers bc due to previous cancellations of Bimini no one wants to risk embarking there. 

I’m also annoyed by the Miami port hype. It sounds as if it came straight from the Miami Chamber of Commerce. 
Lorraine

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Richk582 said:

Crystal will welcome a capacity-controlled number of unvaccinated guests on board and additional protocols will be in place for unvaccinated travelers.

Wow - I guess this is referring to children - but it’s interesting they haven’t limited themselves to that 

It seems the boundaries for these cruises are constantly changing - that will present challenges for some who booked based on one set of rules 

• Like 2

We received the e-mail as well.  The friends we are traveling with are most likely going to cancel due to all the changes.  But this last one will send them over the edge.  I'm sure there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people.  Everyone booked The Bahamas cruises because the feeling of safety for a fully vaccinated ship.  This is so much more than just an island port change.  They should be offering 100% refunds for such a drastic change.  We are not happy campers at this point.  When is enough, enough!

• Like 3

Make sure you click on the hyperlink for the special rules for unvaccinated pax:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-cruises-unvaccinated-ocean-guests-protocols

While I doubt they will strictly enforce all of these protocols, the unvaccinated guests are virtually isolated and easily identified by their masks and wristbands. Also cannot use many public areas.

On Crystal Serenity, certain public rooms will not be available to unvaccinated guests including Umi Uma, Prego, Churrascaria, Marketplace, Avenue Saloon, Pulse Nightclub, Stardust Supper Club, Silk Bar, Connoisseur Club, Crystal Life Spa and Crystal Life Fitness. Unvaccinated guests will dine in an assigned (socially distanced) dining area.

• Like 2

Hi,

I am booked on the September 18 cruise and just received the same email. I intentionally chose this cruise because all of the passengers were required to be vaccinated. I am thoroughly disappointed about the decision to allow unvaccinated passengers on this cruise. Also, I have the inconvenience (and additional expense) of flying to Nassau for the cruise. It is not right that people can now board in Miami. I would cancel this cruise if I already hadn't paid for the cruise in full. 

Chuck

• Like 5

While we were on the July 3rd initial voyage I would be highly upset of this change if on upcoming sailings. Many guests specifically booked with the understanding and expectation these would be fully vaccinated sailings. Given the smaller size of the ship I would be very leery of having unvaccinated passengers and being in the same vicinity for contact tracing purposes. Yes, the space per passenger may be greater than many mega liners, at capacity, however that space will be slowly consumed and smaller if they get to 900 passengers on a sailing… I do not feel this is fair to those who booked and are already taking risks in having to fly in/out of the Bahamas and test negative for return flights home. Poor on Crystals behalf and shows they’re looking for $$$.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Wow - I guess this is referring to children - but it’s interesting they haven’t limited themselves to that 

It seems the boundaries for these cruises are constantly changing - that will present challenges for some who booked based on one set of rules 

I wouldn't assume it is referring to children at all, because it doesn't say that. And because Florida won't let companies enforce vaccinations. I assume Crystal will have protocols in place for the unvaccinated just like the other mass market lines sailing out of Miami.  On RCL, I think the unvaccinated have to wear masks, social distance, etc. And I think the vaccinated ones wear wrist bands to show they don't have to comply.  Or something like that.  I'm surprised Crystal is succumbing to this.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Make sure you click on the hyperlink for the special rules for unvaccinated pax:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-cruises-unvaccinated-ocean-guests-protocols

While I doubt they will strictly enforce all of these protocols, the unvaccinated guests are virtually isolated and easily identified by their masks and wristbands. Also cannot use many public areas.

On Crystal Serenity, certain public rooms will not be available to unvaccinated guests including Umi Uma, Prego, Churrascaria, Marketplace, Avenue Saloon, Pulse Nightclub, Stardust Supper Club, Silk Bar, Connoisseur Club, Crystal Life Spa and Crystal Life Fitness. Unvaccinated guests will dine in an assigned (socially distanced) dining area.

So unvaccinated guests wear the wristbands? Those can be sliced off in an instant. This is absurd. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would never have booked this cruise and the one following if I hadn’t been told all staff and guests will be fully vaccinated.  This is on CRYSTAL since they didn’t have to change their itinerary and go to Miami.  This is not the cruise I was sold. 

While I realize Crystal will try to keep unvaccinated passengers away from those of us who followed the rules, this only works if they are honest and wear their bracelets.  They are on their honor, and they have proven they don’t honor CDC recommendations.  Or as I like to say, they have no honor.

This is a deal breaker for us.  I will be calling to cancel and get my money back first thing tomorrow.

I am furious and this has changed my opinion of this cruise line.

Yes, I am furious—I have looked forward to this cruise for 6 months

Mom C

Edited by MomC
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

So unvaccinated guests wear the wristbands? Those can be sliced off in an instant. This is absurd. 

Precisely. I agree 100%. 

So now the pax who have flown/ferried to the Bahamas can backtrack to Miami to pick up un vaccinated passenger. Plus most of us will have logistically added at least 1-2 nights to allow travel to Bahamas prior to embarkation. 

• Like 5

Well if it’s anything like the thousand other changes they have made since announcing this itinerary if enough people call and complain they’ll change it again next week 😝

But in all seriousness I think this is extremely poor on Crystal’s part. Soon they’ll be going down market to find some Carnival cruisers in Miami to fill the ship. 

• Like 2

I have since first sailing with Crystal touted how they always did what was best for their guests. How they cared about not only their enjoyment but also made sure they had the best safety measures. This shows me that this is no longer the case. If they do that, then my question is what else are they doing to lower their standards?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

I am booked on the September 18 cruise and just received the same email. I intentionally chose this cruise because all of the passengers were required to be vaccinated. I am thoroughly disappointed about the decision to allow unvaccinated passengers on this cruise. Also, I have the inconvenience (and additional expense) of flying to Nassau for the cruise. It is not right that people can now board in Miami. I would cancel this cruise if I already hadn't paid for the cruise in full. 

Chuck

I wonder if you have any legal recourse to cancel since this could conceivably impact your health.

• Like 2

I am booked on a Bermuda cruise out of Boston on Symphony, but given this news about the change to allowing unvaccinated people onboard Serenity, I’m worried Crystal may do something similar to those sailings as well.  I’ve asked my travel agent to pursue that issue with Crystal directly.  

I actually find this unbelievable – that Crystal would now allow on these cruises people who are unvaccinated after they sold these cruises as being limited to people who are vaccinated.  What a terrible thing to do.  When Crystal says that it will be guided by CDC health and safety regulations as well as Florida law on this issue, it is not actually possible to do both, since they are in conflict with each other (and the CDC and Florida are currently in litigation about this).  I believe what Crystal is doing here is a  violation of the trust that there should, and historically has been, between Crystal and its guests.  

If I am not assured that my Bermuda cruise will be limited to vaccinated guests, I will certainly be considering my options.  If we decide we can no longer go on this cruise, it is my expectation that Crystal would refund us for what we have paid for this cruise, and that no amount will be considered to be “forfeited”, nor would the refund be in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.  This would, after all, be something caused by Crystal.  It would be a violation by them of the contract we made in reliance on their representation that the cruise would be limited to vaccinated guests.  

In addition to having my travel agent pursue this, I am also going to write directly to Crystal with my views.  Perhaps if they hear from enough angry guests they might reconsider their position.

• Like 4

I am so glad I went on July 10. I would not and will not travel on a cruise that was not 100% vaccinated guests.  I just looked at a fabulous Celebrity itinerary and would have booked Aqua Class but they are accepting unvaccinated guests.  Hard stop for that whether Crystal or Celebrity or any other cruise line.  I guess they will accept unvaccinated on the Bermuda cruise.  Can’t wait to hear what the extremely careful to avoid covid cheerleaders will say about this.  A full refund should be offered to those that have booked and now want to cancel.

• Like 3

I wonder if Crystal is reading this thread or the even longer one on FB? If so, they have to see the outrage of guests who were relying on Crystal to provide a fully vaccinated experience, only to learn now that this will no longer be the case.  Hopefully, Crystal will have a change of heart.   One point - I wonder how much of this may be a result of the State of Florida interfering, saying that if they want to stop in Miami, they must make it an embarkation point?    And then since it is illegal in FL to ask vaccine status, Crystal puts in restrictions that make it inconceivable anyone would book (unless they intend to just flaunt the rules).

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

I am booked on a Bermuda cruise out of Boston on Symphony, but given this news about the change to allowing unvaccinated people onboard Serenity, I’m worried Crystal may do something similar to those sailings as well.  I’ve asked my travel agent to pursue that issue with Crystal directly.  

I actually find this unbelievable – that Crystal would now allow on these cruises people who are unvaccinated after they sold these cruises as being limited to people who are vaccinated.  What a terrible thing to do.  When Crystal says that it will be guided by CDC health and safety regulations as well as Florida law on this issue, it is not actually possible to do both, since they are in conflict with each other (and the CDC and Florida are currently in litigation about this).  I believe what Crystal is doing here is a  violation of the trust that there should, and historically has been, between Crystal and its guests.  

If I am not assured that my Bermuda cruise will be limited to vaccinated guests, I will certainly be considering my options.  If we decide we can no longer go on this cruise, it is my expectation that Crystal would refund us for what we have paid for this cruise, and that no amount will be considered to be “forfeited”, nor would the refund be in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.  This would, after all, be something caused by Crystal.  It would be a violation by them of the contract we made in reliance on their representation that the cruise would be limited to vaccinated guests.  

In addition to having my travel agent pursue this, I am also going to write directly to Crystal with my views.  Perhaps if they hear from enough angry guests they might reconsider their position.

Bermuda does not allow nonvaccinated guests, so I think the Bermuda cruise likely to be fully vaccinated. But then again, who knows at this point. So disappointing. 

Hi, 

I recently cruised on the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten (July 10-17) on a fully vaccinated cruise. The cruise was very nice and Celebrity did not change their rules. The atmosphere on the ship was wonderful, but I think it would have been very different without the vaccination requirement.

Chuck