Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests

Richk582

1 hour ago, wesport said:

We are on the 8/14, and will probably go. Air and hotel all booked. No other options at this point. We will just be careful. We will take an antigen test two days before we leave for our flight. The only problem is if we test positive in our test to come home. 

We are also on the Aug. 14th sailing. Looks like will go or lose everything.  Talking to our TA this morning, he spoke to Crystal yesterday. Will keep you posted.

28 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

We were on the July 17 cruise. See my updated answer - we showed pictures of our cards about 60 days out to both Crystal and Bahamas Visa group. Then showed the cards in person at checkin.

we booked Alaska for next summer and we’re not asked at the time of booking.

Keep in mind this change only applies to the Bahamas cruises that touch Miami. Since the "global" policy is 100% vaccinated, if you booked Alaska before they made this change, there would be no reason to ask the question at the time of booking. It would be interesting to know if they are asking at the time of booking now for the Miami cruises

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, reenief said:

You only have a 24 hour window.  I got the Crystal change email after that expired.  I am not able to cancel my air to get a full refund.  I would have to receive a voucher. This was much to late in the process to change the game.  

Not that it's necessarily the case here, but sometimes that 24 hour rule doesn't literally apply to the hours. The airline I fly gives you until 11:59pm in the time zone of the original departure city on the ticket the day after issue to request a refund.  Just throwing that out there for others that it may still be worth trying to request a refund the day after, even if it's more than 24 exact hours since it was issued.

Vince

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I fundamentally agree, especially that this is an unforced error, but I think Florida is more of a problem here than you give them blame for.  Crystal didn't have to do this, but they are sort of backed into a corner on what options they have.

• The marketplace has flipped 180 degrees since these cruises were announced, and the trade-offs built into the original itineraries to allow them to sail are no longer competitive.  That responsibility lays on Crystal, BUT considering they were in completely uncharted territory, I can give you hundreds of similar examples all across the travel industry that didn't work out equally.  For the past year and a half we've basically been using our best judgement, but there's a factor of throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks and a factor of rolling the dice to each decision -- no matter how fact-based.
  • Their agreement with The Bahamas remains in place, limiting where else they can call geographically.  Buying out The Bahamas agreement and all of the vendor and supplier contracts under it has to be cost prohibitive to any major redeployments at this point.  This is a different type of deployment than Symphony had in Antigua, which was expensive enough to change as it was.
  • So that pretty much limits them to working with Florida, and Florida knows it.  Without any way to quickly overturn the documentation law, here we are.

As unhappy as I am about the decision, it's not like I see a better option for them.  They are literally ALL bad.  That doesn't excuse it, but it adds texture for sure.

Vince

If Crystal is somehow being "forced" to add Miami to the itinerary, Crystal should make the reasons behind it clear to all current and prospective customers.  This has not been done, and that's one of the reasons I find this whole situation very problematic.  But in my opinion, the whole situation was poorly thought out and half baked even before this week, and regardless of how it was possibly "unavoidable" does not make the current set of decisions acceptable in any stretch of imagination.  In my perspective, Crystal is putting its financial survival ahead of everything, including the health and safety of everyone, not just those who are booking their cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Keep in mind this change only applies to the Bahamas cruises that touch Miami. Since the "global" policy is 100% vaccinated, if you booked Alaska before they made this change, there would be no reason to ask the question at the time of booking. It would be interesting to know if they are asking at the time of booking now for the Miami cruises

Because unvaccinated people are initially put on a waitlist, wouldn’t they now have to ask the question at the time of booking Miami sailings? 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

I just checked our PCPC for our November/December cruises sailing RT  Miami after I read your post 5 minutes ago. .  I had not yet gone on to enter the usual information.   First of all you must acknowledge that  Crystal has the right at their discretion to change  all policies, procedures, etc.  It then asks you to attest that your rights are limited vis a vis medical services, the right to sue etc...We last cruised in December 2019.. I do not recall see all this wording in the past. It has to do with Covid and liability and they can’t protect you etc. ( my words) 

However it states 

For all voyages on all ships, guests will be required to be fully inoculated at least 14 days prior to departure date with a COVID-19 vaccine (both doses if recommended by manufacturer). Verified documentation and/or evidence of vaccination will be required at the time of boarding and failure to provide this documentation will result in denial of boarding. Guests will also be given a PCR or antigen test on day of embarkation and must test negative to board the ship. There is no cost for the embarkation test for guests. Crystal is developing plans to facilitate its guests to meet the antigen test requirement for air travel back to the U.S. This testing plan may vary by ship and guests will be responsible for cost of the test, which may be reimbursable by insurance

Edited by Cancun01

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Psoque said:

If Crystal is somehow being "forced" to add Miami to the itinerary, Crystal should make the reasons behind it clear to all current and prospective customers.  This has not been done, and that's one of the reasons I find this whole situation very problematic.  But in my opinion, the whole situation was poorly thought out and half baked even before this week, and regardless of how it was possibly "unavoidable" does not make the current set of decisions acceptable in any stretch of imagination.  In my perspective, Crystal is putting its financial survival ahead of everything, including the health and safety of everyone, not just those who are booking their cruises.

Crystal is of course putting their viability ahead of "total" safety, but the bigger problem is that the ENTIRE travel industry is literally doing the same thing, and with the current industry stats, the marketplace has spoken and said they are comfortable with those trade-offs between restrictions and compromises.  We see it with hotels and restaurants eliminating their precautions, with many airports turning a blind eye to mask enforcement, with cruise lines giving in and sailing out of Florida, accepting unvaccinated pax, etc..  On this point, I have wag the finger at consumers before I can wag it at Crystal -- they voted, and told Crystal what they wanted.  What we have yet to see is if consumers put their money where their mouth is and actually book this.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaterp53 said:

Please let us know if they will give you a full refund. We all booked this cruise in good faith and have been betrayed.  We are being penalized the 25% and this is unethical.  

If you feel that these actions have caused you to be betrayed, boy, have you led a sheltered and protected life.

On the betrayal scale, this barely comes close to even qualifying for consideration.

What Crystal has done is called simply "life".  Excrement occurs.  Thankfully, if this were to happen to me, I'd shrug it off as just another speedbump in the road of life.  Perhaps because I've had my share of hard knocks and genuine "betrayals".  But I'm so glad that your life has been smooth and easy, so that this is, to you, a genuine tragedy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you feel that these actions have caused you to be betrayed, boy, have you led a sheltered and protected life.

On the betrayal scale, this barely comes close to even qualifying for consideration.

What Crystal has done is called simply "life".  Excrement occurs.  Thankfully, if this were to happen to me, I'd shrug it off as just another speedbump in the road of life.  Perhaps because I've had my share of hard knocks and genuine "betrayals".  But I'm so glad that your life has been smooth and easy, so that this is, to you, a genuine tragedy.

I read it as betrayal of trust, which it is .

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Crystal is of course putting their viability ahead of "total" safety,

The sooner the public realizes that there is no such thing as "total safety", the better.  Countries have tried for "zero covid" - and it doesn't work.

28 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

On this point, I have wag the finger at consumers before I can wag it at Crystal -- they voted, and told Crystal what they wanted.  What we have yet to see is if consumers put their money where their mouth is and actually book this.

BINGO.

If I had a dollar for every time someone posted to CC about how much they didn't like the:

Flights to Nassau

Flights to Bimini

Lack of shore excursions

Lack of shore facilities

Poor shore experiences

and so forth, I'd have plenty of beer money for the next months.  The cries were for "I want to cruise out of Miami/Ft Lauderdale".

Well, you got what you complained for.

• Like 5

I was irritated with this change---primarily because I booked based on all vaccinated.

I prefer to avoid Florida so flying to Nassau (and no Florida stops) was a plus for me.

I'm accepting this as my mistake for booking on a cruise line that appears to be on life support.

Life will go on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jdfireman said:

We had to show our cards before we got tested at the hotel convention center

So, for those who embark in Bahamas it sounds like the proof of Covid vaccine was not visibly seen until you flew to the Bahamas?  I’m getting mixed messages on this thread.  Is it accurate to say that after you booked the cruise, paid for it, flew to the Bahamas, did your pre-cruise whatever, the first time you showed your proof of vaccine was at the Hotel Convention Center for pre-testing and then check in?  

What I am trying to ascertain is at what point will Crystal know how many unvax pax are on the cruise?  I’d also like to know what the expectations are for a potential Miami embark.  Maybe the answer to that is not clear yet.

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

Because unvaccinated people are initially put on a waitlist, wouldn’t they now have to ask the question at the time of booking Miami sailings? 

Yes they did, I moved a NYC to Bermuda, November "Symphony" cruise to Bahamas "Serenity" leaving out of Miami and was asked if we were vaccinated on the first page. They are waitlisting the unvaccinated. I wonder what the percentages of unvaccinated will be allowed?

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

28 minutes ago, hubbards said:

So, for those who embark in Bahamas it sounds like the proof of Covid vaccine was not visibly seen until you flew to the Bahamas?  I’m getting mixed messages on this thread.  Is it accurate to say that after you booked the cruise, paid for it, flew to the Bahamas, did your pre-cruise whatever, the first time you showed your proof of vaccine was at the Hotel Convention Center for pre-testing and then check in?  

What I am trying to ascertain is at what point will Crystal know how many unvax pax are on the cruise?  I’d also like to know what the expectations are for a potential Miami embark.  Maybe the answer to that is not clear yet.

FWIW, I tried to initiate a new booking on the Crystal website for a Miami departure Sept 6 sailing. Right from the start, you have to declare whether you’re vaccinated or not. If not, and you don’t plan on being vaccinated with 14 days of departure, you’re directed to call Crystal to continue with the booking process. If you’re vaccinated, you may proceed with your on-line booking. 

9F154838-4FCD-47F9-A51B-DB406702DFE5.png

D0C2B8EF-6131-475A-84FA-71E637A0C5F9.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The sooner the public realizes that there is no such thing as "total safety", the better.  Countries have tried for "zero covid" - and it doesn't work.

BINGO.

If I had a dollar for every time someone posted to CC about how much they didn't like the:

Flights to Nassau

Flights to Bimini

Lack of shore excursions

Lack of shore facilities

Poor shore experiences

and so forth, I'd have plenty of beer money for the next months.  The cries were for "I want to cruise out of Miami/Ft Lauderdale".

Well, you got what you complained for.

I'm easy. I rolled with all the port changes for my Sept 25 sailing out of Nassau, and quite frankly, was expecting additional changes prior to my sail date given the current cruise environment. However, the offer a fully vaccinated cruise was "The Product" for many of us in this case.  Being vaccinated was initially a non-negotiable requirement by Crystal and everyone who booked this cruise agreed to comply.

No one is complaining that Crystal is now offering Miami as a port. The issue is they are now allowing unvaccinated passengers on board at this port. “The Product” has dramatically changed. Allowing unvaccinated passengers is a significant modification, and at a minimum, Crystal should be willing to 100% refund those who feel this is a too much of a game changer. We all want to cruise, so it’s not as if folks are seeking trivial reasons to get out of their contract.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, BEAV said:

FWIW, I tried to initiate a new booking on the Crystal website for a Miami departure Sept 6 sailing. Right from the start, you have to declare whether you’re vaccinated or not. If not, and you don’t plan on being vaccinated with 14 days of departure, you’re directed to call Crystal to continue with the booking process. If you’re vaccinated, you may proceed with your on-line booking. 

hi Brian,

it might be helpful to repost this on a new thread since there are so many posts on this thread and some folks might not see this info. 😋😘

nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Good detective work.   That is a good sign that it is under control.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, hubbards said:

Good detective work.   That is a good sign that it is under control.

fully concur!  Appears to be a good work around

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

I am high risk for Covid and have been extremely careful since Covid started. We booked this trip primarily because it was promoted that everyone would be vaccinated. Not happy about the change in the itinerary but we realize when booking a cruise that can happen - so that was not the issue. The issue is Crystal putting people at risk without their prior consent to being with unvaccinated passengers. To think that people who won't get the vaccine are really going to follow the rules Crystal is putting in place is unrealistic.

Since we would loose all our money, we got Crystal to agree to rebook us for the same week on their cruise out of Boston to Bermuda - with all passengers and staff vaccinated. Felt this was a reasonable outcome although it would have been nice if Crystal did something (ie, upgrade) since we are out flights and hotel in Nassau.

• Like 6

IMHO Crystal could have done a better job explaining the situation. I think we all know they can book more passengers with the. Miami stop. When I do a mock booking, I can see a lot of cabins left for our 8/14 cruise.  If they sent out an explanation of how much restrictions an unvaccinated passenger would have to go through, it may have made the situation better than, oh and by the way we are stopping in Miami and letting the unvaccinated on. We plan on going, as I don’t think there will be many of the unvaccinated on the ship. To many hoops to redo to the Bermuda route. Ours is leaving in two weeks, so I don’t think many of the unvaccinated will be saying “let’s take an expensive luxury cruise” Will however think twice about taking crystal in the future. 

We're basically in the same boat, although a week earlier, Aug. 7th. I've been watching cabin occupancy for awhile now. At the last count, there were approximately 275 cabins available on our sailing this am. It will be interesting to see how the Miami stop, changes that up. I agree, that with all of the exclusions for non vaxed passengers, I would certainly not be spending 3k to sit in the "pariah" zone in the dining room, or be excluded from so many of the special venues. That all remains to be seen.

We will not cancel either. We've already jumped so many hoops to do this cruise, to change now, even though it's NOT what Crystal promised, would be defeatist. We'll be extra careful and vigilant and then go ahead and have as good a time as possible. We'll see how this shakes out...may be rethinking our loyalty to Crystal in the future but will at least give them a chance.

7 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

At the last count, there were approximately 275 cabins available on our sailing this am.

I apologize for my ignorance, but how are you able to determine how many rooms are available for a given cruise? Thanks!

1 minute ago, PJSchmoop said:

I apologize for my ignorance, but how are you able to determine how many rooms are available for a given cruise? Thanks!

There is an online cruise only agency that lists available cabins. Unfortunately, I cannot give out that web address per CC regulations. I wouldn't use those figures as an absolute, but it gives a very good assessment of what's available.

• Like 2