Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests

Richk582

4 hours ago, hubbards said:

So, for those who embark in Bahamas it sounds like the proof of Covid vaccine was not visibly seen until you flew to the Bahamas?  I’m getting mixed messages on this thread.  Is it accurate to say that after you booked the cruise, paid for it, flew to the Bahamas, did your pre-cruise whatever, the first time you showed your proof of vaccine was at the Hotel Convention Center for pre-testing and then check in?  

What I am trying to ascertain is at what point will Crystal know how many unvax pax are on the cruise?  I’d also like to know what the expectations are for a potential Miami embark.  Maybe the answer to that is not clear yet.

Hello sorry for the late response I was out cutting hay in the fields . We had to upload our proof of vaccine to the Bahamas travel site to get out travel voucher. If we did not do this we would have had to upload or present a PCR test when we arrived in the Bahamas 

I am waiting on my conformation for the Miami trip because we are both Vac. will do the rapid test before we get on. The less stress is when coming back to Miami to disembark we do not need to test as per the CDC and if we did and were positive we would be getting off in Miami  much easier to get home 

Hope this helps  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nancygp said:

hi Brian,

it might be helpful to repost this on a new thread since there are so many posts on this thread and some folks might not see this info. 😋😘

nancy

Nancy, full disclosure I have a pet peeve with multiple threads running on the same topic! 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

But if I see a new thread pop up that would benefit from what I posted, I will surely post on that thread as well. 👍

• Like 2

Well, this has been a fun couple of day. Felt like root canal without Novacaine.

I am in the process of rebooking my cancelled Crystal cruise.  Nobody ever said I was a Rocket Scientist. My new date could be Monday, September 6, 2021 departing from Miami.  That is if all the stars align, which simply has not happen on any cruise in almost two years. My wife after 8 days of Covid is getting her smell and tastes back. 

Crystal did a very poor job of communicating and being transparent. They need to change their client communication manager.  If they just would have been completely transparent, much of this would be not have happened.  Iconic Luxury Brands have had far worse things happen to them. An example is the first real Lexus.  The Lexus LS400 known to be the most perfect vehicle ever initially produced from day one.  Did you know, the LS400 had a serious issue that forced everyone to come back to the shop.  Lexus Division, had their communication center call every single client.  The offer was, we will pick up your car, drop it back off while giving you a free loaner for the day, OR you can bring it in yourself, OR we will refund your money.  How many asked for a FULL REFUND. Answer, less than 1%.  The rest is history.  Not common knowledge nor was it a huge issue. Because of the way they handled it as iconic luxury brand.

Ask yourself a very honest question.  If Crystal would have been transparent.  If they would have told all of us that based on other brands success leaving from Miami, they are choosing to do so.  If they would make it clear that all non-vaccinated children and other guests would be very limited. That the business reason was to sell the staterooms because they are so undersold.  Then they said that you could cancel with a full refund, go on the cruise, or move your cruise fare to a future cruise.  How would you have reacted?  My guess is a very few folks would have cancelled and the number that booked from Miami would very much overcompensate for the loss of those cancelations. I don’t have a Crystal ball (no pun intended).  That is my educated guess based on my knowledge of luxury brands issues in the past.

Crystal failed this test.  However maybe, just maybe they can learn from the mistake.  If Crystal has been the kind of brand you embraced in the past, do they deserve a second chance.  You decide for you. I decided to rebook because I am NOT afraid of unvaccinated guests that have been tested prior and after boarding, have restrictions on them so cruising on my sailing will be less than ideal for them.  That is the cruise industries work-a-round. I am afraid of covid. I also look forward to the first unvaccinated guest whom break the rules and are expelled from the ship. Love to have my Iphone with video going for that situation. Now all I ask is for you to look at this not from these isolated situations.  It is what it is.  Just my two cents.  

• Like 4

As I get ready to apply for our health  visas today for  our Aug. 14th sailing. I realize how ridiculous all the expense & work could have been avoided if we had the opportunity to leave from Miami, from the beginning. 

Such is life.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, CruiseAngel218 said:

As I get ready to apply for our health  visas today for  our Aug. 14th sailing. I realize how ridiculous all the expense & work could have been avoided if we had the opportunity to leave from Miami, from the beginning. 

Such is life.

Thank you!   Too late now. 

30 minutes ago, CruiseAngel218 said:

Such is life.

I think the earliest we can apply is Friday. All prepared. 

This just came out from Crystal. I'm willing to bet almost anything that a grand total of ZERO unvaccinated people will join the ship in Miami with these restrictions!

Unvaccinated guests will need to adhere to specific protocols and further testing requirements in addition to certain restrictions during their journey, which can be found here. Some of these restrictions for unvaccinated guests include mandatory mask requirement in all public areas except when eating and/or drinking, no access to certain public areas including specialty restaurants, lounges and night clubs, Crystal Life Spa and Crystal Life Fitness and they may not be able to go ashore at certain ports or attend gatherings onboard such as the Crystal Society party, etc. Dining will be assigned in a socially distanced area. Unvaccinated guests will be identified by a red bracelet while vaccinated guests will be identified by a green bracelet to assist the officers and crew in enforcing restrictions. These details will also be communicated in advance and must be agreed upon as a condition of travel.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiseAngel218 said:

We are staying @ The Baha Mar for 3nights before, so we needed to apply today. All done, waiting for approval.

Arriving Friday. Good luck. It has been an emotional roller coaster. Look for the green wrist bands. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CruiseAngel218 said:

Visa approved within ten minutes!😎

We survived the St Maarten airport last Saturday, so.  Im 3E514D09-AA4B-46E0-8626-3366C2E292D1.thumb.jpeg.9085cdb842f7c870a171879db8379eff.jpegsure we can survive a 50% capacity Crystal ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Well, this has been a fun couple of day. Felt like root canal without Novacaine.

I am in the process of rebooking my cancelled Crystal cruise.  Nobody ever said I was a Rocket Scientist. My new date could be Monday, September 6, 2021 departing from Miami.  That is if all the stars align, which simply has not happen on any cruise in almost two years. My wife after 8 days of Covid is getting her smell and tastes back. 

Crystal did a very poor job of communicating and being transparent. They need to change their client communication manager.  If they just would have been completely transparent, much of this would be not have happened.  Iconic Luxury Brands have had far worse things happen to them. An example is the first real Lexus.  The Lexus LS400 known to be the most perfect vehicle ever initially produced from day one.  Did you know, the LS400 had a serious issue that forced everyone to come back to the shop.  Lexus Division, had their communication center call every single client.  The offer was, we will pick up your car, drop it back off while giving you a free loaner for the day, OR you can bring it in yourself, OR we will refund your money.  How many asked for a FULL REFUND. Answer, less than 1%.  The rest is history.  Not common knowledge nor was it a huge issue. Because of the way they handled it as iconic luxury brand.

Ask yourself a very honest question.  If Crystal would have been transparent.  If they would have told all of us that based on other brands success leaving from Miami, they are choosing to do so.  If they would make it clear that all non-vaccinated children and other guests would be very limited. That the business reason was to sell the staterooms because they are so undersold.  Then they said that you could cancel with a full refund, go on the cruise, or move your cruise fare to a future cruise.  How would you have reacted?  My guess is a very few folks would have cancelled and the number that booked from Miami would very much overcompensate for the loss of those cancelations. I don’t have a Crystal ball (no pun intended).  That is my educated guess based on my knowledge of luxury brands issues in the past.

Crystal failed this test.  However maybe, just maybe they can learn from the mistake.  If Crystal has been the kind of brand you embraced in the past, do they deserve a second chance.  You decide for you. I decided to rebook because I am NOT afraid of unvaccinated guests that have been tested prior and after boarding, have restrictions on them so cruising on my sailing will be less than ideal for them.  That is the cruise industries work-a-round. I am afraid of covid. I also look forward to the first unvaccinated guest whom break the rules and are expelled from the ship. Love to have my Iphone with video going for that situation. Now all I ask is for you to look at this not from these isolated situations.  It is what it is.  Just my two cents.  

Should have bought a BMW. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CruiseAngel218 said:

Such is life.

I switch and now leaving from Miami. One call to crystal by me,one hotel and flight booked today by me. Easy, 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hubbards said:

So, for those who embark in Bahamas it sounds like the proof of Covid vaccine was not visibly seen until you flew to the Bahamas?  I’m getting mixed messages on this thread.  Is it accurate to say that after you booked the cruise, paid for it, flew to the Bahamas, did your pre-cruise whatever, the first time you showed your proof of vaccine was at the Hotel Convention Center for pre-testing and then check in?  

What I am trying to ascertain is at what point will Crystal know how many unvax pax are on the cruise?  I’d also like to know what the expectations are for a potential Miami embark.  Maybe the answer to that is not clear yet.

We also had to upload photos of our vaccination cards to obtain the Bahamas Visa (this was done 14 days before arrival in Nassau). Technically this was not Crystal checking but we would not have gotten to embarkation through Nassau or Bimini without showing the card first. Make sense? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I’m convinced this is the case. I believe they are only doing this so they can make it more convenient (to the vaccinated) to board in Miami. The upside is that if you also disembark in Miami there will be no exit test! I would totally do this in a heartbeat!

1 hour ago, CruiseAngel218 said:

We are staying @ The Baha Mar for 3nights before, so we needed to apply today. All done, waiting for approval.

I hope you get to go to the Jazz Bar at Baha Mar - live amazing music every night at 8 and it is phenomenal 

• Like 3

WE are booked on the Sept 25 th cruise out of Nassau. This change is really bad if you are on a budget.  I could have flown to Miami for 1/2 the price as round trip to Nassau - if I had known you could get on the ship there - this is really bad PR and client service - maybe Crystal will offer some type of compensation???  But I am not holding my breath!!!!!

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, LoveRoughSeas said:

WE are booked on the Sept 25 th cruise out of Nassau. This change is really bad if you are on a budget.  I could have flown to Miami for 1/2 the price as round trip to Nassau - if I had known you could get on the ship there - this is really bad PR and client service - maybe Crystal will offer some type of compensation???  But I am not holding my breath!!!!!

What airline are you traveling on that won't let you rebook so you could depart out of Miami?

I thought most carriers will allow changes for no fees. We have award tickets and we can just redeposit the miles and rebook. But if we had purchased we could change for no fee.

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This has nothing to do with Crystal, but is a perfect example of what you are talking about.  Years ago, I was on a flight from London to NY, my 1st time flying on Virgin.  Time to depart, but we're late.  What happens then - RIchard Branson comes on to the flight, speaks personally to every passenger on the flight, explaining why the flight was late, and that this was his call, so we should not take out any frustration on the crew.  He also gave each of us his business card on which he wrote a voucher for RT limo transfer to & from any airport - at his expense.   THAT is how to deal with frustrated customers.  It's no wonder his businesses were a success. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BEAV said:

FWIW, I tried to initiate a new booking on the Crystal website for a Miami departure Sept 6 sailing. Right from the start, you have to declare whether you’re vaccinated or not. If not, and you don’t plan on being vaccinated with 14 days of departure, you’re directed to call Crystal to continue with the booking process. If you’re vaccinated, you may proceed with your on-line booking. 

9F154838-4FCD-47F9-A51B-DB406702DFE5.png

D0C2B8EF-6131-475A-84FA-71E637A0C5F9.png

Thanks, Brian. I suspected that might be the case, but since we are not planning on going on one of these,.........🙂

31 minutes ago, gwesq said:

This has nothing to do with Crystal, but is a perfect example of what you are talking about.  Years ago, I was on a flight from London to NY, my 1st time flying on Virgin.  Time to depart, but we're late.  What happens then - RIchard Branson comes on to the flight, speaks personally to every passenger on the flight, explaining why the flight was late, and that this was his call, so we should not take out any frustration on the crew.  He also gave each of us his business card on which he wrote a voucher for RT limo transfer to & from any airport - at his expense.   THAT is how to deal with frustrated customers.  It's no wonder his businesses were a success. 

What a great time example.  Yes, Virgin air gets it. Before it was purchased, so did Norstrom’s.  Before Marriott bought Ritz Carlton they got it all so.  All brands made mistakes. All learn from them.  Thanks for posting.

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

What a great time example.  Yes, Virgin air gets it. Before it was purchased, so did Norstrom’s.  Before Marriott bought Ritz Carlton they got it all so.  All brands made mistakes. All learn from them.  Thanks for posting.

Not to defend Crystal's shore side communication, or any of the dust in the air concerning the Bahamas cruises, but I am a bit skeptical about the long term hit to the brand.

Maybe it's because I was just watching "Master and Commander," where they spend a lot of time bailing the ship, but it seems to me that's what Crystal is doing right now.   Trying to stay afloat.

And they're doing it, and they seem to be doing it with a level of service surprisingly similar to that provided in the before times. (Think about it: there is an understandable kerfuffle about the embark ports, but are there many complaints about the onboard product?)

Want to discuss brands?  VW survived dieselgate, and that's about as bad as corporate malfeasance gets.

• Like 4

I just finished one week on the Bahamas cruise.  It was a great cruise and I felt comfortable with the Covid precautions in place.   I got off at Bimini for a short self tour, was not impressed and then  only went to Exuma beach with a chair and umbrella which was clean and a beautiful pristine beach. I saw the Bahamians thoroughly cleaning the lounge chairs as people left. Masks were required on the tender and the shuttle.     I am most disappointed to hear that unvaccinated passengers are now going to be allowed to embark in Miami.  As a physician I see this as a reckless action by Crystal.   The Delta variant is raging and will kill thousands more in the coming months.   Even vaccinated individuals can be affected although not seriously at this point in time.  I am so glad I was able to enjoy the Crystal experience which required vaccination plus negative testing on day of arrival in Nassau and then testing on day prior to discharge.     The on board cleaning is going to have to be even more intense once non-vaccinated are allowed on.     Having flown there on full planes and less full going home all should be concerned about this and now add a ship a closed environment with  unvaccinateds. 

There is no way I would board A SHIP that welcomes the unvaccinated.    I urge all who have reservations to cancel them.    

I was sent a cartoon which most of you will find offensive-    chose a card for COVID  vaccination or 

a  toe tag if you are unvaccinated.   The choice is yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

Thanks, Brian. I suspected that might be the case, but since we are not planning on going on one of these,.........🙂

I’m not either. But curiosity was killing the cat....

And I’ll speculate that the special dining area set aside for unvaxed folks in Waterside is going to be one mighty lonely, quiet place. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, majcigar said:

This just came out from Crystal. I'm willing to bet almost anything that a grand total of ZERO unvaccinated people will join the ship in Miami with these restrictions!

I agree that I really don't see anyone  unvaccinated actually booking with these restrictions.  After concluding that, I would feel pretty comfortable after all being on the ship. (I'm vaxed)  I still don't like the way it was handled from a communication/refund perspective though!  I'll be watching how it all plays out.

~Nancy

• Like 4