Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests

Richk582

Thanks tinaincc.

personally, I have a much higher amount for medical evacuation and very pleased with the policy I purchased.  I’ve always purchased a comprehensive travel insurance policy for our crystal cruises and for my upcoming cruise, it’s more important due to Covid.

Nancy

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

In my opinion they are handling it perfectly including the comment that the infected are being medically evacuated at RCCL expense.

Crystal is NOT doing that. It is imperative that you have your own comprehensive insurance (check for evacuation limits etc). The 5 people that I know of that have been with Crystal over the last few weeks and have tested positive have been “on their own”.

You are absolutely correct that everyone should have a comprehensive plan and one that would take you by private aircraft.  This way you could get home as soon as the arrangements are made versus if you have nothing or have a limited policy which involves a commercial aircraft I believe you might have to stay in the Bahamas at least for several days.

I am not of the belief Crystal should pay the cost to transport people since they have stressed the need for insurance and don't think it is fair to those of us who paid for the insurance.  

I do hope people who don't have insurance heed your advice and that of others.

Keith

• Like 3

RCCL requires unvaccinated guests provide proof of insurance beginning August 1. Crystal also requires proof of insurance, including medical evacuation for unvaccinated guests for the Bahamas cruise. This seemed to be in reaction to the first cruises to end up with COVID on board.

The only way the cruise lines could possibly cover evacuations/quarantines would be to build this into the price of the cruise---not sure folks would like that. It is not the cruise lines responsibility to repatriate. The fact that they have done so really sets a poor precedent and may lead to people having false expectations regarding what the cruise line will cover.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kptbylorraine said:

I have read the policy for our Bahamas Travel Health Visa. Is this considered proof of insurance for Crystal? It seems to include medical evacuation. 

First, I grew up in Huntington, NY.  I remember Massapequa well.  I think you are referring to the Health Visa coverage.  If that is your question, allow me to approach it another way.  Please consider an outside company Travel Insurance.  One that provides trip cancelation or interruption also. Mine was just over $500.00.  It saved me literally thousands.  I will let others address the Crystal Policy on the insurance they need.

Read Between The Lines

May I propose this is just a way for Crystal(and all cruise lines) to get around the Florida law banning vaccine requirement. Virtually 0 unvaccinated guests will be on the ship!

Who would book the cruise unvaccinated knowing they would be barred from most of the ship, wrist banded and treated like a diseased pariah?

Should Crystal have changed the sailing to include Miami. Probably not. They have to try to survive.

All of the cruise lines are putting major financial and physical restrictions on unvaccinated passengers,

if leaving from Florida. This is to circumvent Florida law, but still allow vaccinated guests to cruise.

They are working within the framework of the law. They cannot make you present vaccine card, but if you do not, you have to abide by Draconian restrictions on your vacation. Who wants that?

Would an average person agree to pay more, be treated like a 2nd class citizen, and be avoided by almost everyone agree to such terms and pay thousands of dollars. NO.

While it is aggravating Crystal made these changes, the ship is still going to sail with 99% of guest vaccinated IMHO.

• Like 6

Sure hope you're right as we're on the first, out of the gun, stop in Miami, cruise, Aug. 7th. Feel like a guinea pig much??!!! We will not get off the ship in Miami....It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Keeping fingers, toes, any braidable extremities, crossed.

32 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Sure hope you're right as we're on the first, out of the gun, stop in Miami, cruise, Aug. 7th. Feel like a guinea pig much??!!! We will not get off the ship in Miami....It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Keeping fingers, toes, any braidable extremities, crossed.

Keep us posted. We are on the following week. Apprehensive, but still going. Taking n95 and regular masks, and face shields to maneuver the airport. 

34 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I think the first couple weeks wont have many unvaccinated. Too soon to put a trip together. 

1 minute ago, wesport said:

I think the first couple weeks wont have many unvaccinated. Too soon to put a trip together. 

Hoping you're right on that!!! Counting on it!!!

Of course, our batting average isn't too good these days.....giggle!

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

No one’s is.  😊 We’re all just doing the best we can with what we’re handed — both personally and professionally.

Vince

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Hoping you're right on that!!! Counting on it!!!

Batting average, 0 for 5.  You might think that is horrible.  No, not at all.  Where it used to take me weeks to do all the details on an upcoming cruise vacation, now it takes me an hour or two.  I also have learned to quickly and accurately cancel every aspect of a cruise including doing the travel insurance claim in three hours or less.  "I got that going for me!!!"

Back on topic, we are now on the Miami Departure leaving August 23.  I hope the posts are right about to soon for the average person to book for the first couple of cruises.  We booked the JW Marriott Marquis the night prior to the cruise. American Express has a benefit if you book a Marriott property by end of business today, FYI. Miami is very easy to do transportation from Airport to hotel.

Because everyone has put up with me on this board, I will create a new post just before we leave focused on our experiences pre/during the cruise from a first time Crystal Cruisers stand point. Thank you everyone for your feedback and opinions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This just published by the Miami Herald. looks like all passengers will be required by the CDC to wear masks if they do not voluntarily comply to all CDC CSO.

Crystal Serenity will be the first to operate from a U.S. port without voluntarily complying with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “conditional sail order” since a federal appeals court ruled earlier this month that the agency’s COVID-19 regulations for cruise ships are not enforceable in Florida as part of a lawsuit brought against the agency by Gov. Ron DeSantis. All other cruise companies are voluntarily complying with the order, the CDC said.

Crystal spokesperson Susan Robison declined to comment on which aspects of the conditional sail order the company will not be implementing.

“We are complying with the regulations that are in place,” she said in an email. Because of the court’s order, there are no federal COVID-19 cruise regulations in place for Florida cruises.

Robison said the company “intends to meet or exceed the CDC recommendations including 100% vaccinated crew and capacity controlled unvaccinated guests with additional requirements and restrictions.” The company will recommend all passengers be vaccinated and require unvaccinated passengers to wear masks, purchase travel insurance and be restricted to certain areas on the ship. Robison said the company has agreements with a local hospital and transportation company to handle positive passengers who need to be taken off the ship.

The company requires passengers to undergo tests for COVID-19 prior to boarding, Robison said.

The conditional sail order requires ships to attest to the CDC that at least 95% of their passengers and crew are vaccinated, or perform test cruises before restarting with paying passengers. It also requires companies to test all crew members weekly for COVID-19 and report results to the agency and have CDC-approved legal evacuation and isolation agreements in place with U.S. ports and local health authorities, among other things.

Ships that don’t comply are still required to report COVID-19 cases and deaths to the CDC and allow ship inspections, said Shockey, the CDC spokesperson. Passengers on ships that don’t comply will be required to wear masks indoors at all times, in line with the federal mask rule for public transportation, Shockey said.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Batting average, 0 for 5.  You might think that is horrible.  No, not at all.  Where it used to take me weeks to do all the details on an upcoming cruise vacation, now it takes me an hour or two.  I also have learned to quickly and accurately cancel every aspect of a cruise including doing the travel insurance claim in three hours or less.  "I got that going for me!!!"

Back on topic, we are now on the Miami Departure leaving August 23.  I hope the posts are right about to soon for the average person to book for the first couple of cruises.  We booked the JW Marriott Marquis the night prior to the cruise. American Express has a benefit if you book a Marriott property by end of business today, FYI. Miami is very easy to do transportation from Airport to hotel.

Because everyone has put up with me on this board, I will create a new post just before we leave focused on our experiences pre/during the cruise from a first time Crystal Cruisers stand point. Thank you everyone for your feedback and opinions.

I just started a thread for the Aug. 23 cruise from Miami.  Please respond there.  We booked the Kimpton Surfcomber on Miami Beach for 2 nights prior to the cruise.  But I would like to look into the Marriott Marquis.  Can you tell me about the American Express benefit?  I don't see anything on the website.

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Gary, I will be joining the ship in Nassau on the 28th. Would like to meet you for a drink and a cigar in the Connoisseurs Lounge on the 29th.

Jeff (aka Majcigar) 

3 hours ago, smlnd said:

I just started a thread for the Aug. 23 cruise from Miami.  Please respond there.  We booked the Kimpton Surfcomber on Miami Beach for 2 nights prior to the cruise.  But I would like to look into the Marriott Marquis.  Can you tell me about the American Express benefit?  I don't see anything on the website.

@smlnd , I wanted to honor your request to post this response on your Aug 23 cruise thread.  I could not find it.  I know you dislike off thread topic and duplicate posts.  Please for give me.  I have stayed at the Kimpton in 2019 prior to a cruise.  Very nice place by the way.  We had a great room with a view of the water.  The JW Marriott Marquis in my opinion is a nicer place however you have to understand, I am a Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite Member.  When You go to your online American Express Account, below your most recent purchases are 100 benefits which are time based.  For what ever reason, I had check the Marriott benefit which gave me $40.00 off the reservation which is credited to my card account.  I also booked a Pre-Paid room.  Know that hotel, I was thrilled.  Please post a link to your thread, and sorry again.

1 hour ago, majcigar said:

Gary, I will be joining the ship in Nassau on the 28th. Would like to meet you for a drink and a cigar in the Connoisseurs Lounge on the 29th.

Jeff (aka Majcigar) 

MajCigar: let me think.  A cigar, in the Connoisseurs Lounge, on a Crystal Luxury Cruise, with a new friend.  It would be an honor sir.  

35 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

MajCigar: let me think.  A cigar, in the Connoisseurs Lounge, on a Crystal Luxury Cruise, with a new friend.  It would be an honor sir.  

Cigars are on me! 🙂 We will be in Suite 11018.

3 minutes ago, majcigar said:

Cigars are on me! 🙂 We will be in Suite 11018.

That is SOOOO, Funny. My trip that was leaving today that I had to cancel, I was in Suite 11019.  They have not issue me a Cabin yet.  I am working with them.  We will get together for sure.  Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

That is SOOOO, Funny. My trip that was leaving today that I had to cancel, I was in Suite 11019.  They have not issue me a Cabin yet.  I am working with them.  We will get together for sure.  Thank you.

😉

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@smlnd , I wanted to honor your request to post this response on your Aug 23 cruise thread.  I could not find it.  I know you dislike off thread topic and duplicate posts.  Please for give me.  I have stayed at the Kimpton in 2019 prior to a cruise.  Very nice place by the way.  We had a great room with a view of the water.  The JW Marriott Marquis in my opinion is a nicer place however you have to understand, I am a Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite Member.  When You go to your online American Express Account, below your most recent purchases are 100 benefits which are time based.  For what ever reason, I had check the Marriott benefit which gave me $40.00 off the reservation which is credited to my card account.  I also booked a Pre-Paid room.  Know that hotel, I was thrilled.  Please post a link to your thread, and sorry again.

My thread is in the Serenity rolls calls, not the general Crystal threads.  Hope I meet you on board.  Thanks for the info.  Looks like my party of 4 wants to be on the beach so they can walk out to the sand like we would have done at the Colonial Hilton in Nassau so guess we will stick with the Kimpton.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimmycruiser said:

This just published by the Miami Herald. looks like all passengers will be required by the CDC to wear masks if they do not voluntarily comply to all CDC CSO.

Crystal Serenity will be the first to operate from a U.S. port without voluntarily complying with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “conditional sail order” since a federal appeals court ruled earlier this month that the agency’s COVID-19 regulations for cruise ships are not enforceable in Florida as part of a lawsuit brought against the agency by Gov. Ron DeSantis. All other cruise companies are voluntarily complying with the order, the CDC said....

I've been following this Florida port/departure announcement and fear Crystal is underestimating what the CDC will do based on their not following the CSO.  The CDC still has vast power over cruise ships under the Public Health Act and is likely to enforce it in every way possible.  The results could be catastrophic for Crystal maintaining any schedule.  Just like with the Vessel Sanitation Plan, which if I'm not mistaken is also not mandatory, there is a reason the other cruise lines are still voluntarily following the CSO in Florida.  The CDC knows if they ignore Crystal's attempt to brush off the CSO other cruise lines would follow.

2 minutes ago, Até said:

I've been following this Florida port/departure announcement and fear Crystal is underestimating what the CDC will do based on their not following the CSO.  The CDC still has vast power over cruise ships under the Public Health Act and is likely to enforce it in every way possible.  The results could be catastrophic for Crystal maintaining any schedule.  Just like with the Vessel Sanitation Plan, which if I'm not mistaken is also not mandatory, there is a reason the other cruise lines are still voluntarily following the CSO in Florida.  The CDC knows if they ignore Crystal's attempt to brush off the CSO other cruise lines would follow.

What part of the CSO is Crystal ignoring?

1 minute ago, smlnd said:

What part of the CSO is Crystal ignoring?

As far as I can tell they have not filed any required EDC forms, have not filed an Attestation and plan of how they will verify >95% vaccinated passengers and crew, aren't approved for restricted sailings from the US, and basically have stated publicly that they feel the CSO is only a recommendation now.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Até said:

As far as I can tell they have not filed any required EDC forms, have not filed an Attestation and plan of how they will verify >95% vaccinated passengers and crew, aren't approved for restricted sailings from the US, and basically have stated publicly that they feel the CSO is only a recommendation now.

There's a threat of contempt of court already in place if CDC tries to invoke violations of CSO as reasons for punitive actions against Crystal.  CDC will most likely not act until there's an actionable event like an outbreak that is covered by other statutes.

That said, you are correct that Crystal volunteered themselves to get in the cross-hairs of the CDC.

Edited by pnsnkr