Jump to content

Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests


Richk582
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes I am sure Crystal is looking at this thread as they do all of them, but with only 270 people on the "fully vaccinated" present-day Serenity cruise and some of the "fully vaccinated" Bermuda cruises  not selling as hot cakes plus before they made the change many Serenity Nassau voyages at very low counts something had to be done.

 

Yes I wish Florida kept their butts out of CDC affairs so that the lines could sail out of Florida and require vaccines but...............they have not.  Maybe, just maybe, with things out of control in Florida they will back off but until this happens Crystal will make it as tough as possible for those unvaccinated to want to take the cruise.

 

The model just doesn't work with running cruises that are almost 2/3's empty.  

 

Many people have already switched to the Florida sailings and others I know have booked them.  

 

For those who want a fully vaccinated cruise I would be careful what hotel you stay at, what plane you get on and what things are like when you get off the ship in port and the private vehicle you go in to get to your airport you go in, and the food store you shop at, and the restaurant you dine at.  This is the life we live right now.  And remember on those fully vaccinated cruises some got COVID-19 including the variant.

 

Keith

Keith…. The difference is I know the risk going to hotels and restaurants etc.. the issue is they did not advertise FULLY VACINATED And take my money then change to unvaccinated! That is the issue.. I am sure they feel they had a reason but I will never feel they did the right thing to their loyal customers… including “CHANGING” my cruise 12 hours before departure to another port on another day on my expense!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BWIVince said:

It's probably just me, but the fact that people are more excited to book a cruise from Florida because in case they test positive they just just hop on an airplane with everyone else and fly home instead of quarantining, almost sounds more like more like the problem than the cure.  🤢  I get that the majority of them will be vaccinated and have a reduced risk of spreading the virus, but still...

 

Vince

I was one of those folks Vince.  All me to explain.  I in no way was saying, I will get on a plane, NOPE. Not going to happen.  What I meant was, I can get tested again, I can isolate in my Country giving me some chance to see my options even if it means driving 12 hours home.  

 

Anything else would be disgraceful to other.  I hope I clarified that.  The stories of folks whom test positive in Nassau really kind of scared me. I hope that all makes sense. Sorry if I misrepresented my feelings.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

It's probably just me, but the fact that people are more excited to book a cruise from Florida because in case they test positive they just just hop on an airplane with everyone else and fly home instead of quarantining, almost sounds more like more like the problem than the cure.  🤢  I get that the majority of them will be vaccinated and have a reduced risk of spreading the virus, but still...

 

Vince

Vince, in some cases people can hope in their car and go home.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the major reasons people want to sail from Florida have nothing to do with the test.

 

I believe they are simplicity for those who live in Florida or nearby states and can drive.

 

I believe it is the ability to take direct flights not involving changes of planes.

 

I believe it is to avoid long layovers.

 

This is why often those cruises that begin and end in the USA are popular.

 

Add to this lower costs for flights and lower costs for hotels with more choice and just familiarity.  Some people just don't know much about Nassau.

 

In the end I think it comes down to lower costs and ease of getting to and from the port.

 

Honestly with COVID-19 hanging over us it makes things more dicey regardless of whether you sail on a Cruise where everyone is vaccinated or if a handful are not.

 

Even today walking through the Streets of Reykjavik with our masks on which I would do in Nassau or in Miami as people were coming at us without masks it makes things a bit unsettling.  Maybe not for some of you but it does for me.  

 

Keith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Please finish the story.  Was it a false positive.  Did they test them again. Are they in quarantine.  Thank you

Hi there - this was my friend from 2 weeks ago. She was the one that tested positive at check in (and again when a second test was given when she was denied boarding) and was put into quarantine at the Nassau Courtyard Marriott until she paid out of pocket for private medical transport to FLL. Just wanted to let the poster above know that she did, on her own, take a test 24 hours before she left the US (on the Friday) and was negative yet on Saturday was positive in Nassau. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I was one of those folks Vince.  All me to explain.  I in no way was saying, I will get on a plane, NOPE. Not going to happen.  What I meant was, I can get tested again, I can isolate in my Country giving me some chance to see my options even if it means driving 12 hours home.  

 

Anything else would be disgraceful to other.  I hope I clarified that.  The stories of folks whom test positive in Nassau really kind of scared me. I hope that all makes sense. Sorry if I misrepresented my feelings.

Exactly what my friend did - medivac to FLL then rented a car and drove to Texas. Not a blast but better than having a guard outside your tiny room in Nassau.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I was one of those folks Vince.  All me to explain.  I in no way was saying, I will get on a plane, NOPE. Not going to happen.  What I meant was, I can get tested again, I can isolate in my Country giving me some chance to see my options even if it means driving 12 hours home.  

 

Anything else would be disgraceful to other.  I hope I clarified that.  The stories of folks whom test positive in Nassau really kind of scared me. I hope that all makes sense. Sorry if I misrepresented my feelings.

 

Thanks for clarifying Gary...  I was projecting some recent experiences with this more than quoting anyone here, I should probably have made that clearer -- no one here said that specifically.  OTOH, people are doing it, which bothers me a LOT.  Thanks to all of you who have or would drive as an alternative, and at least take appropriate precautions during the drive.  👍 

 

Vince

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, 

 

I have decided to keep my cruise on the Crystal Serenity that departs from Nassau on September 18 rather than change to a Miami departure. I have paid for my cruise in full and booked the two day package with Crystal at Baha Mar in Nassau. This will at least minimize my time in Florida. However, I need to change planes in Miami prior to my flight to Nassau. I realize that the Bahamas aren't great regarding the virus, but I live in a high-rise building in downtown Chicago and risk exposure every day.

 

Of course, my cruise is six weeks from now. It is impossible to know what the situation will be at that time. If the number of passengers remains so low, do you think Crystal might cancel the cruise?    

 

I cruised aboard the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten on July 10 (fully vaccinated cruise) and had a wonderful time. There were only 410 passengers on the cruise and the service was incredible. Even though this cruise was only a few weeks ago, a lot has changed (for the worse) since then.

 

Chuck 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keith et al,

 

I switched my cruise from a September 11 departure in Nassau to a September 13 departure from Miami almost exclusively because of the test. Like Gary, I was worried that I might, might, test positive for the virus at the end of the cruise and be stuck in a courtyard Marriott with an armed guard for 14 days in the Bahamas. On my dime. If I test positive in Florida, at least I’m in the United States and I have many more options regarding how I get home. My hotel room in Miami is also significantly less expensive than the one I had reserved in Nassau.  And I will absolutely not mingle with people in FL.

 

i, too, will isolate for two weeks before the trip and hope that all goes well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Exactly what my friend did - medivac to FLL then rented a car and drove to Texas.


Does she not understand the term isolation? It’s not when it’s convenient to you….

 

That cross country drive would have involved stops for gas and food - all the time, potentially, spreading the virus to others 

 

Mind you it was from one Covid infested State to another - so what’s the harm 😉😷😔

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:


Does she not understand the term isolation? It’s not when it’s convenient to you….

 

That cross country drive would have involved stops for gas and food - all the time, potentially, spreading the virus to others 

 

Mind you it was from one Covid infested State to another - so what’s the harm 😉😷😔

Your highly virtuous comments are unnecessary especially since many on this thread were discussing this approach being far better than being stuck in Nassau. 
 

When is your trip? Hope you stay well.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

I have decided to keep my cruise on the Crystal Serenity that departs from Nassau on September 18 rather than change to a Miami departure. I have paid for my cruise in full and booked the two day package with Crystal at Baha Mar in Nassau. This will at least minimize my time in Florida. However, I need to change planes in Miami prior to my flight to Nassau. I realize that the Bahamas aren't great regarding the virus, but I live in a high-rise building in downtown Chicago and risk exposure every day.

 

Of course, my cruise is six weeks from now. It is impossible to know what the situation will be at that time. If the number of passengers remains so low, do you think Crystal might cancel the cruise?    

 

I cruised aboard the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten on July 10 (fully vaccinated cruise) and had a wonderful time. There were only 410 passengers on the cruise and the service was incredible. Even though this cruise was only a few weeks ago, a lot has changed (for the worse) since then.

 

Chuck 

Good for you. Best of luck! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

 

I have decided to keep my cruise on the Crystal Serenity that departs from Nassau on September 18 rather than change to a Miami departure. I have paid for my cruise in full and booked the two day package with Crystal at Baha Mar in Nassau. This will at least minimize my time in Florida. However, I need to change planes in Miami prior to my flight to Nassau. I realize that the Bahamas aren't great regarding the virus, but I live in a high-rise building in downtown Chicago and risk exposure every day.

 

Of course, my cruise is six weeks from now. It is impossible to know what the situation will be at that time. If the number of passengers remains so low, do you think Crystal might cancel the cruise?    

 

I cruised aboard the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten on July 10 (fully vaccinated cruise) and had a wonderful time. There were only 410 passengers on the cruise and the service was incredible. Even though this cruise was only a few weeks ago, a lot has changed (for the worse) since then.

 

Chuck 

Chuck, I don't see the cruises being cancelled and I think overtime they will sell better leaving and returning to Miami.  But in these days of COVD-19 nothing in life is certain.  

 

While we didn't do much when we were in Nassau because of concerns with COVID-19  (we would do the same in Miami; not much) the locals were great and we loved the hotel we stayed at) and loved walking around the property of Baha Mar outside.  

 

I am sure you've done this but be sure you have a good sense of getting between flights in Miami if there are terminal changes and hopefully you have sufficient time between your flights.  

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

 

Our cruise was incredible as well and hope you feel the same way about yours.

 

Keith

 

Keith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just cancelled Serenity for Jan 5-17 2021  'Captivating Caribbean'  due to 

the  policy of Florida mandating unvaccinated passengers be allowed to board with heavy restrictions.

 

We booked this cruise in April hoping Florida would change its  policies or that the virus would be  more contained.  It doesn't look that way now. Now Florida is the epicenter for the Covid 19  variant and cases including hospitalizations and deaths are the highest of all states in the nation.  We have a "winter condo" in Florida and not sure we want to even travel back there for our sojourn this year. 

 

Even with Crystal's  restrictions for the unvaccinated, there are  dynamic risks and complications that could arise when a pandemic virus runs loose on a ship at sea.   There will be no escaping it.  For example we have The Diamond Princess and other ships  during the initial break out last March 2020, when passengers experienced cruises from hell and  were quarantined/ imprisoned in their staterooms for weeks on end. 

 

The many different  island nations on this 13 day Carib itinerary will have different policies regarding vaccines etc. which  most likely will complicate getting on and off the ship.     Also what are the policies if an unvaccinated passenger contracts the virus while on excursion and brings it back on board?  This is a conceivable and a probable event.  What would happen then;  quarantining of the ship?  

Would the ship have to be decontaminated and the passengers left off at the nearest port that would take them?  Miami presumably. 

 

Any way that is how we came about the decision to cancel this cruise.

 

Our next booked cruise embarking in Vancouver next July 2022  round trip to Alaska should only allow vaccinated passengers onboard?  Hope not have to cancel this one and fingers crossed!

Would anyone know if Crystal maintains a "vaccinated only policy'  for all other ports with the only exception being Miami?   

Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Embarker1 said:

Also what are the policies if an unvaccinated passenger contracts the virus while on excursion and brings it back on board?  This is a conceivable and a probable event.  What would happen then;  quarantining of the ship?  

Would anyone know if Crystal maintains a "vaccinated only policy'  for all other ports with the only exception being Miami?   


(Vaccination requirement)  Time will tell, it so far they have.  Only Serenity’s Miami sailings are covered under the unvaccinated policy, but of course this is subject to change depending on the feasibility of maintaining the vaccination requirement in the marketplace.  The rise of new variants may tamp down some of the initial tolerance for Florida’s policy, or it might not.

 

Realistically, the same thing will happen if an unvaccinated person brings Covid onboard as with a vaccinated person, just with a higher viral load.  This is where all of the other protocols come in, and why the vaccines aren’t the only procedure.  The wristbands give them the data on who has had the most exposure (even among vaccinated passengers), so I doubt they would need to quarantine the whole ship, but they could also proactively test daily to see how many of the passengers actually become positive.  It’s not perfect, but we have a lot more technology now than we did in the spring of 2020.

 

Vince

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, BWIVince said:


(Vaccination requirement)  Time will tell, it so far they have.  Only Serenity’s Miami sailings are covered under the unvaccinated policy, but of course this is subject to change depending on the feasibility of maintaining the vaccination requirement in the marketplace.  The rise of new variants may tamp down some of the initial tolerance for Florida’s policy, or it might not.

 

Realistically, the same thing will happen if an unvaccinated person brings Covid onboard as with a vaccinated person, just with a higher viral load.  This is where all of the other protocols come in, and why the vaccines aren’t the only procedure.  The wristbands give them the data on who has had the most exposure (even among vaccinated passengers), so I doubt they would need to quarantine the whole ship, but they could also proactively test daily to see how many of the passengers actually become positive.  It’s not perfect, but we have a lot more technology now than we did in the spring of 2020.

 

Vince

I am not a lawyer, let me say that again, I am not a lawyer; however there is a very interesting article about the NCL lawsuit against Florida I read today.  The long and short of it is, NCL is asking for a halt to the inability to have a Fully Vaccinated Cruise. That ruling looks like Florida is not being look upon favorably and it is a possibility that all cruise lines may be able to decline non-vaccinated guests if the judge agrees.  

 

After reading the article my hopes were greatly increased.  Basically, they are saying a business should have to right to protect their crew and guests without being fined $5,000.00 per guest. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am not a lawyer, let me say that again, I am not a lawyer; however there is a very interesting article about the NCL lawsuit against Florida I read today.  The long and short of it is, NCL is asking for a halt to the inability to have a Fully Vaccinated Cruise. That ruling looks like Florida is not being look upon favorably and it is a possibility that all cruise lines may be able to decline non-vaccinated guests if the judge agrees.  

 

After reading the article my hopes were greatly increased.  Basically, they are saying a business should have to right to protect their crew and guests without being fined $5,000.00 per guest. 

Currently living in central Florida and well aware of several lawsuits against DeSantis with a ruling by a Federal court on preventing companies from requiring proof of vaccination coming within a few days. Several law scholars say there is a very good chance the law will be struck down but knowing DeSantis he will appeal and it will probably drag on. Time will tell but hopefully by Nov. when we board it will be resolved?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2021 at 3:20 PM, Stickman1990 said:


Does she not understand the term isolation? It’s not when it’s convenient to you….

 

That cross country drive would have involved stops for gas and food - all the time, potentially, spreading the virus to others 

 

Mind you it was from one Covid infested State to another - so what’s the harm 😉😷😔

Unfortunately Covid has brought out the selfishness in many people -- from the ones who refuse to vaccinate to those who refuse to isolate.  I am certain that many who are "maskless" in stores are not vaccinated, despite the requirement here that the unvaccinated wear a mask.

 

The reality is we all have to protect ourselves because others will not protect us.  I am now double masking or using KN95 or N95 masks instead of cloth ones.  We are flying tomorrow and I will be disinfecting like crazy.

 

Even on our 2 weeks on Serenity, some people did not wear masks on tenders as they were directed to do.  Do I think it caused infection to spread?  No.  But my point is that there are those who just will not follow any rules no matter what the possible consequences.

 

My personal preference is for all employers to require vaccination and for proof of vaccination be required in order to fly on any airplane.  If we cannot get cooperation, let's use deprivation. It is happening slowly.  United CEO told his employees too get vaccinated or be fired.  CNN fired unvaccinated employees.  As Dr Fauci has said, once full FDA approval is a reality, more companies will issue mandates.

 

I do not care if I get flamed by the those who think it is their right not to get vaccinated.  It is our right to be safe  "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness") and we now have a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by bitob
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I am not a lawyer, let me say that again, I am not a lawyer; however there is a very interesting article about the NCL lawsuit against Florida I read today.  The long and short of it is, NCL is asking for a halt to the inability to have a Fully Vaccinated Cruise. That ruling looks like Florida is not being look upon favorably and it is a possibility that all cruise lines may be able to decline non-vaccinated guests if the judge agrees.  

 

After reading the article my hopes were greatly increased.  Basically, they are saying a business should have to right to protect their crew and guests without being fined $5,000.00 per guest. 


I’m in the same boat, but that’s the conventional wisdom in the travel industry as well.  Passenger shipping companies have had legal authority to dictate medical fitness for carriage for over a century, and these can include medical tests and proof of vaccination.  I’ve always had a hard time seeing DeSantis’s case here as it pertains to ships, but I’m no lawyer.

 

Vince

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whystayhome said:

A crew member told me today they are picking up 52 people in Florida later in the week and they are ALL vaccinated. 

Is it this Monday's embarkation on Serenity in Miami?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whystayhome said:

A crew member told me today they are picking up 52 people in Florida later in the week and they are ALL vaccinated. 

 

If what you heard is credible information, I’m not at ALL surprised. 

 

And I wonder what percentage of those 52 might be people that were originally booked out of Nassau/Bimini and switched to Miami. In other words, vaccinated folks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BEAV said:

 

If what you heard is credible information, I’m not at ALL surprised. 

 

And I wonder what percentage of those 52 might be people that were originally booked out of Nassau/Bimini and switched to Miami. In other words, vaccinated folks. 


I was about to say the same thing.  We probably won’t get a good idea of whether they’re attracting unvaccinated passengers for another 3-6 weeks, when we get in the range of new bookings.  Almost everyone embarking in Miami at this point will be rescheduled existing bookings from Nassau and Bimini.

 

Vince

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...