Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests

Richk582

4 hours ago, chitown84 said:

I was told this number for Miami, Monday 8/9, earlier today. 

I am absolutely delighted to hear this but will be on the lookout anyway. Thanks for info. We're ready to go!

On 8/5/2021 at 9:31 AM, ctjon said:

These things are not really Crystal's fault - Florida governor is forcing cruise lines allow unvaccinated people on board and Crystal is trying to make sure all is safe.  Why anyone would go anywhere near Florida - one of the states with most new infections, is a mystery to me. 

Because if tested at the port I can go to an American Hotel  or go to American hospital. I  do nit have to worry about getting back into this country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, Sthrngary said:

I was one of those folks Vince.  All me to explain.  I in no way was saying, I will get on a plane, NOPE. Not going to happen.  What I meant was, I can get tested again, I can isolate in my Country giving me some chance to see my options even if it means driving 12 hours home.  

Anything else would be disgraceful to other.  I hope I clarified that.  The stories of folks whom test positive in Nassau really kind of scared me. I hope that all makes sense. Sorry if I misrepresented my feelings.

If needed I can arrange a driver to take me home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BEAV said:

If what you heard is credible information, I’m not at ALL surprised. 

And I wonder what percentage of those 52 might be people that were originally booked out of Nassau/Bimini and switched to Miami. In other words, vaccinated folks. 

I get on a week from Monday and I was going out of Nassau, seems many switch as it was easier to get to,Miami.

6 hours ago, whystayhome said:

Yes.  I can’t imagine anyone who is not vaccinated would elect to sail on the Serenity, given the on-board restrictions that will be imposed.

Linda

Linda, this continues to be my view.

I just don't see many guests wanting to comply with all of this.  

I would just suggest to any thinking of it wear a mask pretty much all day if at home and see how one feels after a day or two.  

I know we wore masks inside the ship but not in our room and we spent a decent amount of time there plus I spent five to six hours a day playing paddle tennis.

If one wants to walk all around the ship indoors go to evening entertainment, go to lectures, go to other indoor activities wearing the mask and doesn't want access to several lounges, etc., etc., etc., etc.,  I think they will be the true exception.

I think with the variant I am more worried about my fellow vaccinated cruisers walking around the ship getting too close to me for comfort and not wearing a mask.  

Anyway time will tell but I just don't see many booking this cruise.IMHO.

Keith

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bitob said:

Looks like ncl just prevailed in court. Proof of vaccination will be allowed in Florida. I assume crystal will now require 

I hope all lines do.Then more people would get the vaccine 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bitob said:

Looks like ncl just prevailed in court. Proof of vaccination will be allowed in Florida. I assume crystal will now require 

Crystal Clean+ 7.0 coming up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bitob said:

Still confused.

Crystal was already asking those guests boarding to provide proof of vaccination via the CDC card or whatever other card from their home country.  

Maybe someone can help me understand this one better.

Keith

I think the preliminary injunction only applies to NCLH, which brought the suit. Perhaps there is a way for other cruise lines to come in and say, "me too."

1 hour ago, giustot said:

I think the preliminary injunction only applies to NCLH, which brought the suit. Perhaps there is a way for other cruise lines to come in and say, "me too."

It’s also a temporary injunction, subject to appeal.  The same appeals reversed the injunction on the other Florida battle, with the CDC.  I seriously doubt (even though I really want to hope) this is over.

Vince

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Still confused.

Crystal was already asking those guests boarding to provide proof of vaccination via the CDC card or whatever other card from their home country.  

Keith

Florida had passed a law banning companies from requiring you to show proof of vaccination and could not deny services to the unvaccinated which is why Crystal had to allow unvaccinated to board in Miami so they like all cruises from Florida ports adopted more stringent restrictions for the unvaccinated.

NCL sued the state on several grounds and a federal judge ruled Yesterday allowing NCL to require all pax show proof of vaccination. It is a a temporary  injunction which I am sure the state (DeSantis) will fight. Not sure if ruling applies only to NCL or other companies so not sure Crystal can or will change requirements yet.

• Like 1

Those interested, lost of articles that explain this well.  One is in Cruise Industry News does an ok job. The temporary injunction in short does a couple of things.  As we recall if you booked Crystal out of Miami, there was a question with a yes or no.  Are you planning to be vaccinated.  That is a fair questions.  If not, the client would be on a waitlist and have restrictions as we all know now.  That is all the major cruise lines "Work-Around".

With this ruling, NCL can both ask for vaccination proof, and only accept guests that are fully vaccinated allowing for fully vaccinated cruises.  If they did that in the past, it would have cost them $5,000.00 per guest.  The next question is it new "Temporary Ruling" going to apply to other cruise brands.  Eventually if it sticks, yes.  Initially the judge wording was very specific to NCL.  Hence in the future it will be precedent. 

Before any of us do back flips, FL with take this ruling as serious fighting words.  They will appeal so quickly it will make your head spin.  In our world, "Some folks would rather fight then accept they were wrong."  Cruise well every one.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Before any of us do back flips, FL with take this ruling as serious fighting words.  They will appeal so quickly it will make your head spin.  In our world, "Some folks would rather fight then accept they were wrong."  Cruise well every one.

It is a state law passed overwhelmingly by our legislature.  So the appeal will have the full force and resources of the State Government.   

Crystal was smart in their approach -- making vaccinations essentially mandatory if you wished to enjoy your cruise and not be in a ships brig..

NCL's CEO FDR and our Governor are the same Alpha dogs so neither will budge on their positions.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

It is a state law passed overwhelmingly by our legislature.  So the appeal will have the full force and resources of the State Government.   

It sure will.  Time to get some popcorn and diet coke for the show.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

It sure will.  Time to get some popcorn and diet coke for the show.  

I thought they outlawed dog and rooster (other word not allowed) fighting in Florida years ago.   But seems we have one in progress..  

In the right corner wearing the red, white and blue -- Ronald DeSantis.  In the left corner wearing blue trunks with the NCL logo -- Frank del Rio.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

I thought they outlawed dog and rooster (other word not allowed) fighting in Florida years ago.   But seems we have one in progress..  

In the right corner wearing the red, white and blue -- Ronald DeSantis.  In the left corner wearing blue trunks with the NCL logo -- Frank del Rio.

LOL, I saw that and did laugh though.  Great edit.  One wants to be President and the other one is already the CEO.  Politics meads Corporates America at its finest.  Seriously though, going to be a show and it is not over until the Supreme Court Sings.  We all just get to debate it during the process.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

My money’s on del Rio 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

I’m not sure what you mean to imply by the statement that it is a “state law passed overwhelmingly by our legislature.  So the appeal will have the full force and resources of the State Government”.  None of that is really relevant to a challenge in federal court of a state law.  

Here, the federal district court judge, who issued a 59-page opinion, found that the state “fails to provide a valid evidentiary, factual, or legal predicate” for its prohibition on vaccine passports.  In issuing a preliminary injunction, the court found that the cruise line has a likelihood of success on the merits at the trial level, and that the ban risks public health and infringes on the cruise line’s First Amendment rights.

I agree that Florida is very likely to appeal the ruling, and we’ll see what happens.  My point here is simply that the fact that a state law is overwhelmingly passed by a state legislature and has the backing of the state’s resources is not relevant to whether it will be struck down by a court. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Still confused.

Keith

As I understand it, the key word is "ask". They can ask for you to voluntarily show proof of vaccination before you board, but they cannot "require" you to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of booking/boarding. 

1 hour ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

I’m not sure what you mean to imply by the statement that it is a “state law passed overwhelmingly by our legislature.  So the appeal will have the full force and resources of the State Government”.  None of that is really relevant to a challenge in federal court of a state law.  

Here, the federal district court judge, who issued a 59-page opinion, found that the state “fails to provide a valid evidentiary, factual, or legal predicate” for its prohibition on vaccine passports.  In issuing a preliminary injunction, the court found that the cruise line has a likelihood of success on the merits at the trial level, and that the ban risks public health and infringes on the cruise line’s First Amendment rights.

I agree that Florida is very likely to appeal the ruling, and we’ll see what happens.  My point here is simply that the fact that a state law is overwhelmingly passed by a state legislature and has the backing of the state’s resources is not relevant to whether it will be struck down by a court. 

I only point this out as many people think this is DeSantis and only DeSantis issue.   It is not an executive order.  The law passed  prohibits any Florida business (which NCL is headquartered and operating out of the Port of Miami) from requiring a vaccine passport for admitting or serving its customer.  Rather broad law that its intention was to prevent restaurants, movie theaters, sport venues, shops from banning persons if they are non vaccinated. 

NCL's argument was that this was a political law/stunt (per FDR comments) and that the state has no business to regulate a cruise line (likely true).   This is a preliminary injunction and of course NCL filed the injunction request with a court and judge which would likely agree with them.   As I/you stated previously this is not over and will be going up the chain.