Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests

Richk582

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, gwesq said:

I wonder if Crystal is reading this thread or the even longer one on FB? If so, they have to see the outrage of guests who were relying on Crystal to provide a fully vaccinated experience, only to learn now that this will no longer be the case.  Hopefully, Crystal will have a change of heart.  

Crystal reps know that a very small minority of their pax frequent the Cruise Critic or FB groups.  I doubt they get influenced by social media.

Edited by Cruise-y
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gwesq said:

I wonder if Crystal is reading this thread or the even longer one on FB? If so, they have to see the outrage of guests who were relying on Crystal to provide a fully vaccinated experience, only to learn now that this will no longer be the case.  Hopefully, Crystal will have a change of heart.   One point - I wonder how much of this may be a result of the State of Florida interfering, saying that if they want to stop in Miami, they must make it an embarkation point?    And then since it is illegal in FL to ask vaccine status, Crystal puts in restrictions that make it inconceivable anyone would book (unless they intend to just flaunt the rules).

Simple solution for Crystal… don’t stop in Miami. Why was Miami added to the itinerary? They can claim it was for bunkering or provisions or anything else under the sun. Or was it to embark guests who do not want to fly to the Bahamas? It certainly sounds like a $$$ issue and trying to fill the sailings. They may get some additional bookings out of this but I think they’re ruining relations with long standing Crystal loyalists… 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

So unvaccinated guests wear the wristbands? Those can be sliced off in an instant. This is absurd. 

You can just do it the other way around, if you don't have your green contact tracing bracelet on you can't come in.

Not that I am suggesting that I am in favor of this change; I'm definitely not.

2 minutes ago, TER777 said:

You can just do it the other way around, if you don't have your green contact tracing bracelet on you can't come in.

Not that I am suggesting that I am in favor of this change; I'm definitely not.

So the elevator stops on their deck. Who is going to say "You can't come in?"   Just a ridiculous change on Crystal's part.  I expect many cancellations.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

Crystal reps know that a very small minority of their pax frequent the Cruise Critic or FB groups.  I doubt they get influenced by social media.

Except that these sailings are not only their regular passengers. I wonder what percentage are first-time Crystal customers?

I'm really pissed that I booked my flights to/from Nassau already for my October sailing. I would much rather sail out of Miami and not have to deal with the Bahamas Covid nonsense. I can probably change my JetBlue flights, although I might end up with some credit since I won't get a cash refund. But dare I change it at this point, only to find out that they changed their minds again?

And they should not have given in and changed to Florida rules. Seems like they are getting desperate to fill the ship.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 7

I am livid. We booked this ONLY because it’s a fully vaxxed cruise, and went to the additional expense and time to get to Nassau to do it.  Un-freaking believable. 

I’ve written to our TA to ask about cancellation options, and will call Crystal in the morning as well and planning to unload - even if it won’t do any good. 

I don’t care about operational changes due to port restrictions or weather.  I want to be on the ship and enjoy a cruise. But allowing unvaxxed passengers - regardless of FL restrictions - is simply unacceptable.   

• Like 7

Text my agent who,away again.

shevis like tell me what to do.

cancel or fly to,Florida and get on there.

I could of gone to Europe in July or cruise July 3D.

I told  her to find out if I can get a refund  or at least get on in Miami. 
which means I lose two days one cruise and two another.

now all the vax people will be wearing masks everywhere  as they will be afraid. The new virus could kill us.

not happy 

• Like 2

Well, it seems like the Harbor Island and the Spanish Wells communities are indeed enjoying the last laugh.  Crystal proved itself to be catering to the riff raff; from Miami nevertheless; ooh laa laa!!  Should have guessed it from the loud, obnoxious, crappy music from the speed boats parked at the Bimini beach club.

On a serious note, we'd have been devasted if they had changed the rules on us before or during the cruise.  So, can't even imagine what some of y'all are going through right now.  

But, let me categorically state that literally swimming with the pigs is a far better exhilarating experience.  I hope y'all get to experience this at least once in your lifetime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

I am so glad I went on July 10. I would not and will not travel on a cruise that was not 100% vaccinated guests.  I just looked at a fabulous Celebrity itinerary and would have booked Aqua Class but they are accepting unvaccinated guests.  Hard stop for that whether Crystal or Celebrity or any other cruise line.  I guess they will accept unvaccinated on the Bermuda cruise.  Can’t wait to hear what the extremely careful to avoid covid cheerleaders will say about this.  A full refund should be offered to those that have booked and now want to cancel.

If they are following Celebrity’s lead well I believe they should change their brand name to a more suited one .. Crystalebrity perhaps? Very poor and disappointing on Crystal’s part, in fact I’m utterly shocked and appalled that they would actually go down this path 😟😟😟

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Except that these sailings are not only their regular passengers. I wonder what percentage are first-time Crystal customers?

I'm really pissed that I booked my flights to/from Nassau already for my October sailing. I would much rather sail out of Miami and not have to deal with the Bahamas Covid nonsense. I can probably change my JetBlue flights, although I might end up with some credit since I won't get a cash refund. But dare I change it at this point, only to find out that they changed their minds again?

And they should not have given in and changed to Florida rules. Seems like they are getting desperate to fill the ship.

This is the BIG question.  I'm afraid to change our whole itinerary to leave from Florida.  Airline frequent flyer, hotel at LAX, parking at LAX, hotel in Nassau, etc.  I cannot trust Crystal to change their minds again and then be out again.  How can we make any plans, especially nonrefundable ones when the rules change by the week?  I think Crystal has crossed the line with this last change.  I hope everyone calls Crystal to complain.  They are losing long time loyal customers.  It is really a shame.

• Like 9

I have no clue if there’s any recourse here - via my Amex, legal, or with trip insurance. Doubtful.  But can assure you that I’ll try every option, and will be cancelling our 11 day Alaska booked for next summer.  Hello Oceania, Seaborn or anyone else. 

I am also shocked and upset that Crystal made this change at this point. Florida COVID hospitalizations are skyrocketing right now.  At the very least, the change to Miami and allowing unvaccinated pax should have waited until several months from now.  BUT, I also wonder who in the hell would book a Crystal cruise and not be able to go into any of the alternate restaurants or bars, etc.??    I'll be very interested to see how this plays out.  

~Nancy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fisherboe said:

I have no clue if there’s any recourse here - via my Amex, legal, or with trip insurance. Doubtful.  But can assure you that I’ll try every option, and will be cancelling our 11 day Alaska booked for next summer.  Hello Oceania, Seaborn or anyone else. 

Have you looked at Azamara. They are doing drydock starting a few days from now. One ship,at a time, more casual and no sushi but very friendly officers and crew.

oceania O ships cabins are nice. Also look at Silverseas. Not done Seaborne. 

They will now start losing the people who were holding out for something this winter

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, oakridger said:

BUT, I also wonder who in the hell would book a Crystal cruise and not be able to go into any of the alternate restaurants or bars, etc.??    I'll be very interested to see how this plays out.  

~Nancy

Can’t they just lie about being vaccinated? In Florida you aren’t required to reveal if you’ve been vaxxed or not. But even if Crystal requires proof to enter those venues, it’s unenforceable and easy to circumvent. 

Edited by Cruise-y
  • Like 2

According to Crystal’s letter in post #1 announcing the inclusion of unvaccinated guests, this has been done because  “For cruising in particular, recent positive developments now allow ships to sail into and out of U.S. ports.”

I am not aware of any recent positive developments that give me any confidence that it would now be safe to sail under these revised health and safety conditions. 

Quite the contrary. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruise-y said:

Can’t they just lie about being vaccinated? In Florida you aren’t required to reveal if you’ve been vaxxed or not. But even if Crystal requires proof to enter those venues, it’s unenforceable and easy to circumvent. 

This is sort of the crux of the legal problem right now….  While they are following the CDC’s new guidance (recently tossed back out as requirements), the mechanism to execute this would be illegal in Florida.  The ban on figuring out which passengers are vaccinated or not remains in force.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

According to Crystal’s letter in post #1 announcing the inclusion of unvaccinated guests, this has been done because  “For cruising in particular, recent positive developments now allow ships to sail into and out of U.S. ports.”

I am not aware of any recent positive developments that give me any confidence that it would now be safe to sail under these revised health and safety conditions. 

Quite the contrary. 

+1!  I’m thinking they’re referring to the CDC guidance, but in the context of everything happening on the news and the wave of organizations finally starting to crack down on vaccination requirements, that statement is especially farcical.

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

What a mess.

That’s it in a nutshell!

Vince

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

This.

Bookings must have been unsustainably low for later sailings.  (The early ones had typical Crystal occupancy.)

I can’t see how this isn’t going to cost them more bookings than it’s going to get them, but what do I know?  Their target audience, whether they are prospects or current passengers, are typically vaccinated and in a higher risk category — the type of passenger more motivated to cancel a cruise like this than to book one.  They can pretend that starting today they’re going to build a new, completely different customer base in a different segment of the industry, but that’s a long and time consuming process, and in complete conflict with their current product.  That’s not going to happen by August — or even August of 2023.

Earlier someone asked about cancellation penalties.  I would have your agent demand to have them waived based on the change in policy, and if Crystal refuses, contact your credit card company.  This is a pretty significant change in the terms of your cruise, and some credit card companies (unfortunately not all) will likely see it that way.  Crystal has the right to change the terms, but after a certain subjective point they also have to offer you an out because they’re objectively no longer selling you the same product.

Vince

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

The only "positive" development is the latest court ruling that the idiot Florida governor's lawsuit against CDC cruising guidelines is valid and that vaccines cannot be required. And it would seem odd that a cruise line would consider that to be positive, given that I thought they were all in favor of the CD rules being implemented.

Was there a ruling on that case yet?  I think everything I’ve read so far has been the back and forth on the CDC case, and I haven’t heard much yet on the NCL DeSantis vaccine documentation case.  I admit I wasn’t looking though.

Vince

If I was the unvaccinated type that this change is meant to accommodate I would pitch the bracelet and leave the mask in my room.  How would anyone aboard know?

Why wouldn’t everyone be required to wear the bracelets?  Even if the unvaccinated person IS wearing theirs, it’s useless to know who has been exposed to them if everyone else isn’t wearing one.

Vince

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

I am booked on a Bermuda cruise out of Boston on Symphony, but given this news about the change to allowing unvaccinated people onboard Serenity, I’m worried Crystal may do something similar to those sailings as well.  I’ve asked my travel agent to pursue that issue with Crystal directly.  

I actually find this unbelievable – that Crystal would now allow on these cruises people who are unvaccinated after they sold these cruises as being limited to people who are vaccinated.  What a terrible thing to do.  When Crystal says that it will be guided by CDC health and safety regulations as well as Florida law on this issue, it is not actually possible to do both, since they are in conflict with each other (and the CDC and Florida are currently in litigation about this).  I believe what Crystal is doing here is a  violation of the trust that there should, and historically has been, between Crystal and its guests.  

If I am not assured that my Bermuda cruise will be limited to vaccinated guests, I will certainly be considering my options.  If we decide we can no longer go on this cruise, it is my expectation that Crystal would refund us for what we have paid for this cruise, and that no amount will be considered to be “forfeited”, nor would the refund be in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.  This would, after all, be something caused by Crystal.  It would be a violation by them of the contract we made in reliance on their representation that the cruise would be limited to vaccinated guests.  

In addition to having my travel agent pursue this, I am also going to write directly to Crystal with my views.  Perhaps if they hear from enough angry guests they might reconsider their position.

Letting the unvaccinated is allowed because of Governor Desantis. I think you will be ok leaving out of Boston