Crystal is now allowing embarkation in Miami, as well as unvaccinated guests

Richk582

1 hour ago, hubbards said:

What worries me is that the staff, who can’t enforce no shorts in the dining room at dinner time, are asked to enforce this policy for unvaccinated.  

Precisely...it won't happen, nor should crew be forced into the situation in the first place.

• Like 2

We definitely do not love this change but can understand why they have done it. We will not cancel our Aug 21st cruise but  we will worry more.

• Like 2

Firstly, I am very much against this change in policy and we are considering cancelling our three booked cruises for later this year and in 2022.  Two of them embark in Miami.  We will think it through before we rush to a decision as final payment is a few weeks away. The issue to me is not only the contentious “science” of whether vaccinated individuals can catch Covid from potentially  unvaccinated carriers but also the potential change in the ambiance and atmosphere on the ship....different privileges for different classes of people based on a bracelet that could be removed. YIKES! 

Secondly, I was told...not sure if it is true...that Governor DeSantis’ position is based on the interpretation of the USA  federal HIPPA laws and that it is against these  laws to ask for one’s health status which would include vaccinations.  Would anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Thirdly....The  bottom line is Crystal is a business...not one’s second home....not one’s friend but a business...and as a consumer one has a choice whether to buy or not to buy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cruisers  can choose to stay away from the unvaccinated (check for those red wristbands in elevators and restrooms - how uncomfortable), but the crew - who live and work in tight accommodations and who also serve the vaccinated - can't. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

Firstly, I am very much against this change in policy and we are considering cancelling our three booked cruises for later this year and in 2022.  Two of them embark in Miami.  We will think it through before we rush to a decision as final payment is a few weeks away. The issue to me is not only the contentious “science” of whether vaccinated individuals can catch Covid from potentially  unvaccinated carriers but also the potential change in the ambiance and atmosphere on the ship....different privileges for different classes of people based on a bracelet that could be removed. YIKES! 

Secondly, I was told...not sure if it is true...that Governor DeSantis’ position is based on the interpretation of the USA  federal HIPPA laws and that it is against these  laws to ask for one’s health status which would include vaccinations.  Would anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Thirdly....The  bottom line is Crystal is a business...not one’s second home....not one’s friend but a business...and as a consumer one has a choice whether to buy or not to buy.

We will definitely rebook Alaska next summer as well.  

My issue with Crystal here is that this change removes my ability to choose. I would not have booked anything but a 100% vaxxed cruise - and did so on that condition. Now after I’ve paid in full and am out of the cancellation window, they’ve effectively removed that choice. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

HIPAA does not apply to telling vaccine status to businesses and non-medical entities. Schools routinely ask if students have been vaccinated for measles.

HIPAA Does Not Prevent Employers, Businesses From Asking Your Covid-19 Vaccination Status (forbes.com)

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

I was told...not sure if it is true...that Governor DeSantis’ position is based on the interpretation of the USA  federal HIPPA laws and that it is against these  laws to ask for one’s health status which would include vaccinations.  Would anyone care to enlighten me on this?

I can respond to this as a retired General Counsel for a teaching hospital in Boston, who worked there at the time HIPAA was passed and implemented.  I am horrified about the level of misunderstanding about HIPAA and its use as an excuse for people refusing to provide their own vaccination information when asked.

HIPAA only applies to entities that are covered by HIPAA – healthcare providers, health plans, and the like.  If an employer asks an employee to provide proof of vaccination in order to be allowed to work, that is not a HIPAA violation since HIPAA does not apply to most employers.  What would be a HIPAA violation is if the individual’s health care provider (doctor, hospital, etc.) released his/her vaccination information to the employer.  It is not a HIPAA violation for a cruise ship line to require from the potential guest proof of vaccination.  It would be a HIPAA violation if the potential guest’s health care provider released to the cruise ship line information it has about the person’s vaccination status. 

This is in fact why, when the Governor of Florida wanted to prevent employers from asking employees their vaccination status, he asked for and got a state law providing for that.  If it were a violation of HIPAA, he wouldn’t have needed to do that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Where is the lobsters, why did they change the way they do their afternoon tea, the boxed chocolates are awful

I expect the people on this board to give their honest opinions about things and not sugar-coated versions. I appreciate knowing the good and the bad  - whether I agree or not.  I understand perfectly why there was no lobster in the Bahamas, for example, but I still want to know that. It’s how we analyze to help make our own decisions for future experiences. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

If Crystal was smart and wanted to continue to be perceived as a top shelf cruise line---they would be offering compensation of some sort to those of us who booked based on only vaccinated passengers.

The cruise has been significantly devalued.

Add to that, most of us have paid more and will spend more time traveling to board in Nassau or Bimini.

They should, at a bare minimum, offer the opportunity to re-book out of Miami at no charge.

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, broker1217 said:

If Crystal was smart and wanted to continue to be perceived as a top shelf cruise line---they would be offering compensation of some sort to those of us who booked based on only vaccinated passengers.

Add to that, most of us have paid more and will spend more time traveling to board in Nassau or Bimini.

They should, at a bare minimum, offer the opportunity to re-book out of Miami at no charge.

As of right now, I see no option to book to embark in Miami. 

3 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Spent $1000 in airfare to be on a vaccinated cruise. 

• Like 6

Hi, 

I just spoke with a travel advisor at Crystal. As I noted above, I am booked on the Crystal Serenity's September 18 cruise. I certainly don't like the change concerning Miami, but I now feel a little better about the cruise.

Because of the very strict requirements that they are imposing on unvaccinated passengers (they won't have access to large areas of the ship or be able to go ashore in the Bahamas), they don't think there will be many unvaccinated passengers on the cruise. They expect that most passengers boarding the ship in Miami will be vaccinated. Unvaccinated passengers will be wearing a bracelet that is a different color.

She said that passengers were having difficulty making air arrangements to Nassau and that they needed to board more passengers in Miami to make the cruise viable. Otherwise, it sounds like they may have been forced to cancel the cruises because the passenger numbers were so low.

As everyone knows, Crystal is not in a very good financial position. Earlier this month, I cruised aboard the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten on fully vaccinated sailing. The cruise only had about 410 passengers (on a ship with a passenger capacity over 2,000) and obviously could not have been profitable. However, Celebrity's parent company (Royal Caribbean) is in a strong enough financial position to operate these low occupancy cruises in the short term. It sounds like Crystal does not have the resources to operate the low occupancy cruises and was forced to make the change of allowing passengers to board in Miami.

I am not happy about this change, but I have paid for my September 18 cruise in full. I paid a considerable amount of money to Crystal because I paid the 25% single supplement and booked the pre-cruise hotel package through them. At this point, I am not going to cancel the cruise.

Chuck

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I just spoke with a travel advisor at Crystal. As I noted above, I am booked on the Crystal Serenity's September 18 cruise. I certainly don't like the change concerning Miami, but I now feel a little better about the cruise.

Because of the very strict requirements that they are imposing on unvaccinated passengers (they won't have access to large areas of the ship or be able to go ashore in the Bahamas), they don't think there will be many unvaccinated passengers on the cruise. They expect that most passengers boarding the ship in Miami will be vaccinated. Unvaccinated passengers will be wearing a bracelet that is a different color.

She said that passengers were having difficulty making air arrangements to Nassau and that they needed to board more passengers in Miami to make the cruise viable. Otherwise, it sounds like they may have been forced to cancel the cruises because the passenger numbers were so low.

As everyone knows, Crystal is not in a very good financial position. Earlier this month, I cruised aboard the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten on fully vaccinated sailing. The cruise only had about 410 passengers (on a ship with a passenger capacity over 2,000) and obviously could not have been profitable. However, Celebrity's parent company (Royal Caribbean) is in a strong enough financial position to operate these low occupancy cruises in the short term. It sounds like Crystal does not have the resources to operate the low occupancy cruises and was forced to make the change of allowing passengers to board in Miami.

I am not happy about this change, but I have paid for my September 18 cruise in full. I paid a considerable amount of money to Crystal because I paid the 25% single supplement and booked the pre-cruise hotel package through them. At this point, I am not going to cancel the cruise.

Chuck

How does one book from Miami? Not on any websites yet. Cruises leaving shortly, so I doubt a lot of passengers will be added the first two weeks. Will crystal give us the option to board in Miami?

16 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Chuck

Doesn't this fail at the starting block?  It's Florida law that prohibits businesses from requiring proof of vaccinations.  It's SB 2006.

Is this new policy of accepting unvaccinated guests onboard applies to only the Bahama cruise ? Cruises that start from Miami ? Or all cruises regardless of where the embarkation port is ? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Chuck

Mostly agree with your assessment here but would add one thing: they cannot ask for proof of vax status for pax embarking in Miami.  

If you wanted to cruise and unvaccinated, you think they’ll be honest and stay in their cabins?  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Chuck

How will they know which Miami passengers are vaccinated? 

Will it be voluntary to provide proof of vax in order to get the bracelet that lets you go everywhere on board?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, fisherboe said:

Mostly agree with your assessment here but would add one thing: they cannot ask for proof of vax status for pax embarking in Miami.  

If you wanted to cruise and unvaccinated, you think they’ll be honest and stay in their cabins?  

This is one part I keep getting stuck on.  If they ACTUALLY knew who was vaccinated and who wasn't among the Miami passengers I would have more faith in that plan.  Taking everyone's word for it is no comfort for me, and they can't ask for documentation.

In my mind, it's going to be the seagoing version of the grocery store -- 55% of my county is vaccinated, and yet no one in the grocery store is wearing a mask, claiming they're vaccinated.  No one is going to self-identify properly because the restrictions are too onerous -- and the process is voluntary.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 10

This is not rocket science.  Florida law says you cannot require proof of vaccination.  Nothing says you cannot ask for them to voluntarily provide it.  if you provide it you are clean; if you either refuse to provide it or you have no proof you are unclean.  Seems pretty straightforward to me (and Celebrity and RCL and CCL and ...).

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

This is one part I keep getting stuck on.  If they ACTUALLY knew who was vaccinated and who wasn't among the Miami passengers I would have more faith in that plan.  Taking everyone's word for it is no comfort for me, and they can't ask for documentation.

It's going to be the seagoing version of the grocery store -- 55% of my county is vaccinated, and yet no one in the grocery store is wearing a mask, claiming their vaccinated.  No one is going to self-identify properly because the restrictions are too onerous -- and the process is voluntary.

Vince

Suppose you are vaccinated and wish to board in Miami.  Crystal can't ask to see your vaccination papers, but surely there will be a way to volunteer them.  I can't imagine how the conversation will go, though!

Edit to add:  I also have to chuckle.  The e-mail (see first post on this thread) uses the words "original" and "enhanced" itinerary.  Most marketing types would simply say "revised" itinerary!

Edited by crickette

3 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

It's going to be the seagoing version of the grocery store -- 55% of my county is vaccinated, and yet no one in the grocery store is wearing a mask, claiming their vaccinated.  No one is going to self-identify properly because the restrictions are too onerous -- and the process is voluntary.

Vince

Another cruise line sailing out of Miami does it this way. They make showing proof of vaccination optional. You show, you get the turquoise bracelet and the run of the ship. If you choose to not show, you don’t get the bracelet and you do get all the restrictions. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

This is not rocket science.  Florida law says you cannot require proof of vaccination.  Nothing says you cannot ask for them to voluntarily provide it.  if you provide it you are clean; if you either refuse to provide it or you have no proof you are unclean.  Seems pretty straightforward to me (and Celebrity and RCL and CCL and ...).

1 minute ago, crickette said:

Suppose you are vaccinated and wish to board in Miami.  Crystal can't ask to see your vaccination papers, but surely there will be a way to volunteer them.  I can't imagine how the conversation will go, though!

Just now, TER777 said:

Another cruise line sailing out of Miami does it this way. They make showing proof of vaccination optional. You show, you get the turquoise bracelet and the run of the ship. If you choose to not show, you don’t get the bracelet and you do get all the restrictions. 

Got it!  🙂. I totally wasn't thinking about that process at all.

Vince

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

If you do go the credit card route, just make sure your agent asks Crystal for a waiver on the cancellation penalty as a first step, and documents that conversation including who they talked with and what they said, even if they decline to waive the penalty.  Failing to do that could undermine a dispute.

Vince

Just spoke with my TA.  He said they will not waive the cancellation penalty.  To me, this is a breach of contract which specifically states:  "Guests must be fully inoculated with a COVID-19 vaccine (with both doses if recommended by the manufacturer) at least fourteen (14) days prior to boarding any Crystal ship and will be asked to provide proof of vaccination before embarkation."

• Like 5