Break Up Longer Cruise into Two Shorter Cruises?

Calnev1

I am thinking about booking a 26 day Princess cruise in November 2022 that stops in several Mediterranean ports before going Transatlantic.   Princess also offers the option to book this as two separate cruises:  an 11 day Med cruise (ending in Rome) followed by a 15 day Transatlantic.  I am debating whether to book this adventure as one cruise or two shorter cruises.

I see a couple advantages to booking as separate cruises.

First, I think I would get additional  shareholder and military OBC.   That is, if I booked it as one cruise I would get $250 of each OBC type,  but if I book it as two cruises I would get $350 of each, for a net gain of $200 when booking as two cruises.  But might Princess refuse to give me the additional OBC, since it would have been possible for me to book this as one long cruise??

Second, booking as two cruises would give me additional flexibility to cancel one or the other if I determined sometime in the future that I didn’t want the entire 26 days of cruising.

But I also see two DISadvantages with booking as separate cruises. 

The first disadvantage is the general cruise pricing.  Its seems that in this case booking as two cruises would be slightly more expensive, but only a few dollars more expensive.  Not nearly the $200 I would pick up in extra OBC.

The second disadvantage would be the requirement to disembark and check in again between the two cruises.  I am not sure how much hassle this is.  Perhaps those who have sailed B2B on Princess - particularly in Europe - can comment on this.  Do they make you pack up your cabin (assuming you have the same cabin on both cruises?).  Do they have special check-in arrangements for the second cruise?

Any thoughts/experiences here would be appreciated.  Also, have I overlooked any advantages or disadvantages?

A turn-over day in Europe is like another port day.  You can go and come or stay on board.

I always compare and from what you have posted, you are better off to book separately.  Just check that you can get same cabin on both legs so you don't have to move in between.

Princess system will realize your bookings are B2B and they will know on board you are staying for the full time.  You won't be checking in twice.

24 minutes ago, Calnev1 said:

I am thinking about booking a 26 day Princess cruise in November 2022 that stops in several Mediterranean ports before going Transatlantic.   Princess also offers the option to book this as two separate cruises:  an 11 day Med cruise (ending in Rome) followed by a 15 day Transatlantic.  I am debating whether to book this adventure as one cruise or two shorter cruises.

First, I think I would get additional  shareholder and military OBC.   That is, if I booked it as one cruise I would get $250 of each OBC type,  but if I book it as two cruises I would get $350 of each, for a net gain of $200 when booking as two cruises.  But might Princess refuse to give me the additional OBC, since it would have been possible for me to book this as one long cruise??

Second, booking as two cruises would give me additional flexibility to cancel one or the other if I determined sometime in the future that I didn’t want the entire 26 days of cruising.

The first disadvantage is the general cruise pricing.  Its seems that in this case booking as two cruises would be slightly more expensive, but only a few dollars more expensive.  Not nearly the $200 I would pick up in extra OBC.

The second disadvantage would be the requirement to disembark and check in again between the two cruises.  I am not sure how much hassle this is.  Perhaps those who have sailed B2B on Princess - particularly in Europe - can comment on this.  Do they make you pack up your cabin (assuming you have the same cabin on both cruises?).  Do they have special check-in arrangements for the second cruise?

Any thoughts/experiences here would be appreciated.  Also, have I overlooked any advantages or disadvantages?

We did a 14 day TA from FLL followed by a 14 day Northern Europe. I don’t recall it being any different than any ordinary B2B in the US.  No you don’t have to pack up unless you have to change cabins. If you do, just pack the things you have in drawers and shelves. They will transfer your hanging things and suitcases to the new cabin for you. Check the Princess site for a cabin that’s available for both legs if you don’t want to move.  You will scan off from the first leg and scan back on for the next leg. There will be an “in-transit” group of passengers who will all go together through the process. They will also probably have excursions available for you to book on the day of transit if you’re interested. The transition between cruises is easy-peazy. 

Our cruise could also have been done as a 28 day cruise, but we chose two 14-day cruises. We had no problem with OBC or owner’s loyalty OBC either.   Just do the math and weigh the pros and cons to decide which works best for you. 

It's always smart to check if the OBC works out differently. If you have two different booking numbers you will get the appropriate OBC for each booking.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, skynight said:

We do the math. If close we normally select to book each section separately. Provides more flexibility.

We usually do longer voyages and USUALLY the one segment is economically better for us.  It's all a matter of doing the $ math and seeing which one is better for you.  Enjoy your cruise! 

Btw, we might be on the same cruise.  We board the Regal on Oct 26th (2022) in Rome for 37 days...

Edited by LACruiser88
Error

12 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

There are often advantages to booking two cruises as you have described.  In addition, you can check prices on the separate cruises after booking and may obtain more savings.  Princess accommodates people doing B2B and it is usually smooth.  In US ports Immigration often makes you disembark but the system is quite smooth.  You do nothing for your cabin.  I've even changed cabins during a B2B and Security and cabin stewards make it easy.  (Took an Inside cabin for a Vancouver - Los Angles segment then a Balcony to Tahiti).

• Thanks 1

If booked as a single cruise you would receive $250 shareholder, and $250 military OBC, total $500 OBC

If booked as two cruises you would receive $100 shareholder, and $100 military for the 1st 11 days. At the beginning of the T.A.  $250 shareholder and $250 military OBC would be added to your account. Total $500.

Full total $700. Princess will not reduce these amounts if booked as two separate cruises. Any debit or credit balance from the first 11 days will roll over to the second leg of the voyage. You will receive one summary invoice on disembarkation in Ft. Lauderdale.

On turn around day in Rome (Civitavecchia) you will not have to disembark and check in again. It will be seamless just like any other port day. You may be confused by the turn around day requirements at U.S. ports where all passengers are required to go through immigration even if they are staying on for the next trip.  I have not experienced these immigration requirements outside of the U.S. If you are in the same cabin you will not have to pack anything. Your cabin steward will service your cabin just like any other day and your cabin door will remain closed. You may be requested to leave the cabin area for a few hours to make it easier for the cabin stewards to service the cabins for the new arrivals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:00 PM, RRFan said:

We did a 14 day TA from FLL followed by a 14 day Northern Europe. I don’t recall it being any different than any ordinary B2B in the US.  No you don’t have to pack up unless you have to change cabins. If you do, just pack the things you have in drawers and shelves. They will transfer your hanging things and suitcases to the new cabin for you. Check the Princess site for a cabin that’s available for both legs if you don’t want to move.  You will scan off from the first leg and scan back on for the next leg. There will be an “in-transit” group of passengers who will all go together through the process. They will also probably have excursions available for you to book on the day of transit if you’re interested. The transition between cruises is easy-peazy. 

Our cruise could also have been done as a 28 day cruise, but we chose two 14-day cruises. We had no problem with OBC or owner’s loyalty OBC either.   Just do the math and weigh the pros and cons to decide which works best for you. 

Thanks to all for your detailed responses!  Looks like in our case that the advantages of booking two cruises outweigh any disadvantages.

• Like 1