Nassau Airport and wheelchair assistance

Does anyone that has been on Adventure out of Nassau recently have any insight to having wheel chair assistance after the cruise?  Is it a different line or what is the process?  Also, my sister and I are flying first class, is that a priority line like it is in the states?  As well, she has to have wheel chair assistance to and from the gate.

Does not really matter either way, but trying to get a feel for what to expect after the cruise after reading about all the long lines, etc at the airport.  Thanks!

We were on the Adventure two weeks ago and flew on American Airlines. The Nassau airport is much larger than I thought it would be. I saw someone in a wheelchair, so I know they have them. You should request the assistance with your airline.

We were in first class on American and they did have a separate first class line for check in at the Nassau airport. However, after check in, you have to take your luggage to be scanned at one end of the departure hall and then go to the other end for the TSA procedure and US immigration. Everyone goes to one line for that.

We are sailing on Aug 14th.. DH needs wheel chair assistance... which I have requested from both AA and the cruise line. I have my fingers crossed... I am also bringing a collapsible walker (folds like a stroller) as our back up. We have had some mixed experiences sailing out of ATL early requiring assistance... so I hope this will not be an issue. I am sorry to hear that NAS is perhaps bigger than expected. If I get an opportunity..  I will post what happens on our cruise. In part because of this.. I am packing as lightly as possible..so no formal or cocktail dress type items... to keep us down to one suitcase. Plan on strapping the walker to the carryon with bungie cords.. and then gate check it ..so DH will have it once we get to NAS.  We are also renting a scooter onboard.. so again fingers crossed that this works out too. I am wondering..in general about accessibility in Nassau and around the port.

We are also on the 14th cruise so we will be with you.  We have already requested the wheelchair through American for the airport as well.  We will also have a collapsible walker with us.  She can walk,  but not for a long period of time.  She will use her walker on the ship, she is fine with that as we just take it slow.

She will also gate check her wheel chair, but we will have some checked bags, but another sister and brother in law will be with us as well so we will be fine with the luggage end of things.  

Thank you both for your responses.  I have a better idea of what to expect after the cruise.   

47 minutes ago, #1packerfan said:

One other thing, is there an option to get a porter to help take the luggage to get scanned or one of those rented carts like the bigger airports have?

I don't know for sure... but I can not imagine that they would not have porters... I am counting on it.

Last month at the Nassau airport we had three wheelchair attendants hit us up for a ride, both arriving and leaving.  They have plenty of them and they are looking for business.  We didn’t have it arranged with the airport.  All it took was the sight of my wife’s cane.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, #1packerfan said:

Does anyone that has been on Adventure out of Nassau recently have any insight to having wheel chair assistance after the cruise?  Is it a different line or what is the process?  Also, my sister and I are flying first class, is that a priority line like it is in the states?  As well, she has to have wheel chair assistance to and from the gate.

Does not really matter either way, but trying to get a feel for what to expect after the cruise after reading about all the long lines, etc at the airport.  Thanks!

For starters, you always need to request wheelchair assistance from the airline.  

Second, you don't mention if you have your own or not or the process for having your own or not.

Assuming no personal wheelchair, you need to go to check in counter, get your boarding pass, and ask for assistance.  It should already be on your ticket. They will push you through immigration and baggage to your gate.  

Priority lines are set up by the airlines, not the airport.  If you have TSA precheck, you might get a special line, but not always.  First Class is irrelevant for security. Only for boarding, but disabled usually boards first anyway, so no different.  Note, Bahamas has preclearance, so you go through Security, than also immigration for the USA.  So multiple stops. 

With a wheelchair guest, you will likely bypass the line on the way out, but not until security opens which was the delay when I was there in June. Once security opened for scanning, the line moved quickly. This really only applies if you are early off the ship. 

As others have said, the luggage drop off here is a bit of a hassle. You check-in with your airline, and then have to bring your bags to the far end, only to then head back to the other far end to enter security. 

As of June, they did not have TSA pre-check. I asked and was told it was coming soon. I suspect that's island time "soon". 

Once you are through security, you will see a Starbucks with a very long line. If you go left and walk a bit you will see a Dunkin Donuts with a much shorter line, if you are looking for coffee or a snack. 

It is bigger than some other island airports, but it's not BIG by US airport standards. There appeared to be a lot of staff offering assistance. Have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I sailed on Adventure in June and need a wheelchair at the airport.  After the cruise, we took a private tour of Nassau and when our guide got to the airport, he stopped at American and asked for a wheelchair before we even got out.  Our wheelchair guy was fabulous!  He took us to check in, bypassed all the lines for both the Bahamas and US customs, and to our gate.  Even though we were TSA pre-check, that was not an option but we didn’t need it anyway. Others took a minimum of 1 1/2 hours from check in to gate but we took 30 minutes.  

Just as a side note, TSA is a United States government run office.  Non US countries cannot offer a US government organization. 

Edited by sellwingri

6 hours ago, #1packerfan said:

One other thing, is there an option to get a porter to help take the luggage to get scanned or one of those rented carts like the bigger airports have?

When you arrive at NAS after your cruise, you are dropped in the airport parking lot where there is a big tent with luggage from the ship. There were some porters hanging around, but it is not a "normal" place for them to be. 

image.png.6df3cc891d1116b041afc4a0fd2ab713.png

image.png.1f67f496b847a1594a647c3c3d7fcea6.png

image.png.c83bae474630445500d640ed7e5a0239.png

12 hours ago, #1packerfan said:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information! It gives us a better idea of what to expect when we get back to NAS after our cruise.

I agree... I like to get a lay of the land, so to speak, when traveling in general... but with added needs for assistance ...it is particularly helpful.