For those whose cruise was cancelled this summer

bobolz

We are still awaiting the ticketing of our air reservation for a cruise that is setting sail in less than 37 days, heading to UK. I’m curious for those who were notified of their cruise being cancelled, were  there any of you who were not alerted until 35 days or less of the cancellation. With all of the cdc and state dept alerts and warnings and the fact that the Uk has still not lifted the 10 day quarantine restrictions for us citizens, I don’t see how this cruise goes off. Any advice or experience is appreciated. 

thanks in advance 

We were not notified of our June 12 Galapagos cruise being cancelled until May 11, so we got a 30 day notice.  Ours was the last cruise to be cancelled before Silversea resumed its voyages in the Galapagos the following week on June 19.  I had seen others on this forum comment they were given 60 or more days notice, but now I think it varies and for some regions, they are truly waiting until the last minute to decide whether to resume sailing.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, bobolz said:

We are still awaiting the ticketing of our air reservation for a cruise that is setting sail in less than 37 days, heading to UK. I’m curious for those who were notified of their cruise being cancelled, were  there any of you who were not alerted until 35 days or less of the cancellation. With all of the cdc and state dept alerts and warnings and the fact that the Uk has still not lifted the 10 day quarantine restrictions for us citizens, I don’t see how this cruise goes off. Any advice or experience is appreciated. 

thanks in advance 

Bobolz, below is my response to your original thread from a couple of days ago:

We were not notified of our June 12 Galapagos cruise being cancelled until May 11, so we got a 30 day notice.  Ours was the last cruise to be cancelled before Silversea resumed its voyages in the Galapagos the following week on June 19.  I had seen others on this forum comment they were given 60 or more days notice, but now I think it varies and for some regions, they are truly waiting until the last minute to decide whether to resume sailing.

19 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

That would be nice, however we are not holding our breath. We would love to be able to book a transatlantic.

Alternatively we could return the complement and not let the US into the UK.

2 hours ago, labrasett said:

The UK has just lifted entry restrictions for fully vaccinated US and European travellers.

Apart from France i think!

I think the US has the uk on their red list?

All too complicated. You have to know not just where you can go, but who will allow you to!

41 minutes ago, les37b said:

Apart from France i think!

I think the US has the uk on their red list?

All too complicated. You have to know not just where you can go, but who will allow you to!

And also the ability to predict which countries will go back onto whatever list exists at the time. 

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Since the UK government has already made the change just what would be the point of that. Why on earth would we be so petty.

I know .......it was meant to have a touch of humour rather than be a factual possibility.Apologies will stick to factual only in future!

I think it’s so hypocritical of our current administration for not reciprocating and letting in Europeans and Canadians who’ve been vaccinated and test negative. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.Perhaps you could fly into Mexico,and simply walk across the border. You’d never know that there was restrictions down there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fdnycruiser said:

I think it’s so hypocritical of our current administration for not reciprocating and letting in Europeans and Canadians who’ve been vaccinated and test negative. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Well, not necessarily. If vaccinations are higher and cases are lower in one country than another, then it can make sense to allow travel in one direction but not the other. Fairness does not necessarily equal equality or reciprocity when it comes to Covid; it's not a quid pro quo situation -- it's about what makes the best sense in balancing public health against the desire for normal travel and commerce. Then layer on top of that the different health organizations around the world using different factors in making their decisions, and different timetables for their meetings and statistical sampling, and it's inevitable that things will be out of sync at times. 

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Well, not necessarily. If vaccinations are higher and cases are lower in one country than another, then it can make sense to allow travel in one direction but not the other. Fairness does not necessarily equal equality or reciprocity when it comes to Covid; it's not a quid pro quo situation -- it's about what makes the best sense in balancing public health against the desire for normal travel and commerce. Then layer on top of that the different health organizations around the world using different factors in making their decisions, and different timetables for their meetings and statistical sampling, and it's inevitable that things will be out of sync at times. 

I agree with the sentiment, but correct me if I'm wrong. The US has banned EVERYONE from entering the US apart from its own citizens. I think it's fair to say, many countries around the world have a far better (read lower) infection rate and many with higher vaccination rate, yet the US expects its citizens to have entry to those countries or at least isn't advising against. (Apart from the UK, which is a little ironic IMHO and probably more to do with politics than safety.)

Australia wont allow any non OZ citizens in - but then they are also advising against travel leaving Australia and notice that re-entry might not be as simple as they might have hoped. Please correct me if that's no longer the case. Things change too much!

20 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

And also the ability to predict which countries will go back onto whatever list exists at the time. 

Agree. I just amended a Viking cruise to sail to Croatia instead of Greece because of the impending changes. By the time we sail in September, this could all have been reversed and Croatia  amber plus and Greece green. Its a minefield.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I decided to move my credits to a Alaskan cruise that I knew was sailing and then one to 2022. Although UK has finally opened up, I don’t think I’m ready to deal with overseas cruises this year, with  breakthrough cases increasing,  I don’t want to travel that far in case we test positive. Also I believe UK testing protocols are still in place.