norwegian bliss

What actually can I prebook prior to sailing on the Bliss. I hate standing in line at restaurants and shows. Who would i book with? Also first day of cruise, would it be a good idea to go to the bar and grill for lunch instead of running up to the buffet like everyone else does/

12 minutes ago, tally111 said:

What actually can I prebook prior to sailing on the Bliss. I hate standing in line at restaurants and shows. Who would i book with? Also first day of cruise, would it be a good idea to go to the bar and grill for lunch instead of running up to the buffet like everyone else does/

We usually go to the MDR (main dining room) on day 1 for lunch. Usually open 1130-230 or close to that time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, tally111 said:

You can pre-book specialty dining using the website or app. Right now they're not accepting pre-booking for entertainment; this will presumably change as they get into the swing of returning ships to service. Only a limited number of dining reservations are available in advance, so if you can't get the date/time you want you can book as soon as you're onboard.

Your non-main buffet lunch options will be, assuming business as usual: The Local, at least one of the MDRs, and maybe American Diner (a la carte pricing). Also assuming business as usual, there will be a light lunch buffet in the Observation Lounge with sandwiches, flatbreads, salads, soups, breads, and desserts. 

Edited by coastcat

You can pre-book main dining room times, specialty restaurants, theater shows, and other services such as the thermal suite, and some other shows like the Wine Lover Musical.  On board the ship you can book entertainment through the box office.  Not a bad idea to head there soon after boarding to reserve things like comedy shows or the main shows if you haven't already. 

They will have an area set aside to book specialty dining for the slots they hold back.  You can also use the touch screens in public areas.

As far as the first meal aboard that is your choice.  If you want table service that is available in taste and savor.  It will take time to get through that meal.

The buffet will be crowded as always but it doesn't take long to grab a plate, table, and eat.  Its totally your preference.  I've done both.  Buffet seems to be easier for managing the carry on luggage we usually have.

If your priority is a relaxing meal after a long travel day(s) id vote restaurant.  If you want to explore the ship more while waiting for cabins to be ready you will free up time using the buffet.

Many cruise vloggers cover this on YouTube for even more insight.

Hope this helps.

To book stuff ahead of time, log into your NCL account and then select your particular sailing (in case you have more than 1 upcoming trip booked). Up top, pick Explore & Plan, and from there you can see all your options for dining, excursions, entertainment (if available to book), and add-ons and such.

image.thumb.png.8b6348f0ba99b837a207673cf4fe9947.png

To book dinner reservations, simply click the button for dining, find the restaurant you want then pick your day and time and book it.

image.thumb.png.5a3d77ee5dd3aff73e3065d5c186949c.png

• Like 1

As far as WHEN, vs. the HOW that others have shown you - as with any other ship in the fleet pre-booking opens 120 days before the cruise, 130 for Haven and suite guests.

• Like 1

sure appreciate the feedback. My son will celebrate his 50th birthday so quite a few people will join him. I hope we can find a space to do it. Just a dinner and happy birthday song will do it. then he can celebrate all over the ship. Actually he is looking for some relaxation away from his busy restaurant. His wife has never been on a cruise, so sweet to do that for him

It's all just personal preference.  We generally head up to the top deck and grab a drink or three just to celebrate being on the ship and looking forward to the spectacular days ahead of us.  Food is often overrated.... 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tally111 said:

Some of the entertainment (e.g., comedy shows) can only be booked onboard. You can use any of the touch screen kiosks in the public elevator lobbies to make reservations. Right now, main theater shows also can not been booked until you are onboard. 

Normally, we find that once we have our entertainment booked, our restaurant reservations are conflicted and need to be changed. You need to stand in line to make those changes on embarkation day. 

Specialty dining during "prime time" will sell out online and will sell out onboard. You need reservations. 

If you want to have a served meal, go to Taste and Savor MDRs for lunch. If you are not there close to opening, there will be a line waiting for second seating on embarkation day. Same with The Local bar and grill. 

1 hour ago, tally111 said:

sure appreciate the feedback. My son will celebrate his 50th birthday so quite a few people will join him. I hope we can find a space to do it. Just a dinner and happy birthday song will do it. then he can celebrate all over the ship. Actually he is looking for some relaxation away from his busy restaurant. His wife has never been on a cruise, so sweet to do that for him

You could always try to call NCL and maybe they can reserve a spot for your group somewhere. 

Maybe you can reserve a table at teppanyaki for everyone. 

26 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Normally, we find that once we have our entertainment booked, our restaurant reservations are conflicted and need to be changed. You need to stand in line to make those changes on embarkation day. 

We recently booked our specialty restaurants for our upcoming cruise at 6:00, 6:00 and 6:30.  Will that avoid these types of conflicts with entertainment bookings?  Even if the 6:30 is pushing it, I'm hoping if we show up at 6:15 we'll get seated early.  Those 5:30 bookings can't all squat for an hour, can they?

(I got on line 15 minutes after midnight ET 120 days out to book these)

@ChiefMateJRK you SHOULD be OK, though the 6:30 might be pushing it.  With the main theater shows on the BA and BA+ ships you generally want to be there more than 15 minutes before show time as they open the doors to the standby line at 10 minutes before.  Of course, this was pre-COVID, not sure how things will work with that these days.  That means you want to be making your way there 5-10 minutes before THAT, depending on where on the ship you dinner was and if you want to grab a drink or make a restroom stop on the way.

One key, and with the later reservations/seatings they may be proactive and ask - tell your server if you have a show reservation so they can be sure to move things along for you.  There CAN be a lot of 'slack' time built into meals on ships, it's amazing how fast you can dine if they know you have a constraint...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tally111 said:

I went on the Bliss last year and we were a large group. I emailed specialeventsbliss@ncl.com and requested some dining reservations (you can make them for the main dining room or the specialty restaurants). I did this about three months before the sailing. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback. It seems every YouTube video I watch of Bliss embarkation days the people line up in the Social to register for the shows, and I was hoping it could be done in advance online. 

Now if only they would do that for Vibe passes! 

19 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

The Bliss was great! We were able to get show reservations on board but did so right after boarding 

Were you able to do it through the app or did you have to wait in a line somewhere?

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Were you able to do it through the app or did you have to wait in a line somewhere?

As noted - app, the box office or use the touchscreens near/in the elevator lobbies.  They all have their pros and cons, going to the box office would allow you to book seats for others as long as you have their room number(s) while the app and the touchscreens will only allow you to book for your room.

• Like 1