Hot Dogs on Princess Ships

I have rather pedestrian preferences when it comes to food so you will have to forgive these types of questions.  The one time I had a hot dog on Princess (which was on the Lido Deck of the Royal), I recall the bread being way too big for the dog.  And I recall the dog size was a little bigger for my preference as well.  Is there like a kid size dog with an appropriately proportioned bun that I can get quickly somewhere on the ship, like the buffet or one of the cafes?  One of things I occasionally find myself thinking is that I don't eat a hot dog anywhere near as much as I'd like.  It doesn't help that the vast majority of Wienerschnitzel franchises in my area have closed down over the past couple of decades.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As a fellow hot dog aficionado I can report that we had a cruise not long before Covid shut down. The roll was similar to the size of the dog. We got it from near the Pool area, so I am guessing similar to where you got yours. I don't recall seeing kids meal sizes with smaller doggies and I haven't seen hot dogs anywhere else on the ship, including the buffet or the International Cafe.  

• Like 2

When I have ordered a hot dog from room service, I slice the hot dog in half and eat that on the bun.  Alone in my room, I don't need to be all that neat.  🙂  Out on deck, I daintily nibble the dog, bun and all.  I love Princess hot dogs.  I get at least one every cruise.

• Like 4

Hot dogs from the lido deck grill are what they are, kind of fat ones. The other place I have seen hot dogs are on the DR youth menus, and maybe sometimes in a tray at the buffet. Probably the same hot dogs and buns as that is what they stock.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hunt182644 said:

Just when you think you have seen it all. Along comes a topic I have never seen before, will this become the great hot dog debate?😉😁.

Oh how I love this discussion! Not because I enjoy hot dogs (which I absolutely do), but because it is fun & frivolous. The fun questions are back. On our Nov. cruise I vow to have a hot dog & toast you, careless&confused, with my iced tea. 😊😊😊

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

I believe that they eliminated the bratwurst and knockwurst options from the poolside menu.

No brats or knockwurst.  I love them.  I never eat the hot dogs on a ship as they are very pedestrian.  Guess that it is time to change cruise lines.  BTGW - here is a link to the different hot dog types in the US - https://www.hot-dog.org/culture/regional-hot-dogs.

DON

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, memoak said:

In my opinion when they rebranded the grill on Lido to the Salty Dog Grill the hot dogs improved.  Or is my memory bad ?

I've not sailed yet since they changed from Trident Grill to Salty Dog (darn Covid) but the last time I had a hot dog, probably 11/2019, I wasn't impressed.  But I did love the Bratwurst with grilled onions.  We don't cruise again until March; maybe I'll like the new hot dogs better.

• Like 1

how are the condiments packaged for the hotdogs - like ketchup ? - Is is individual packets ( if so, what brand as I prefer Heinz , and may need to bring my own ) or is it in bulk , and if in bulk is there a server like in the buffet ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how are the condiments packaged for the hotdogs - like ketchup ? - Is is individual packets ( if so, what brand as I prefer Heinz , and may need to bring my own ) or is it in bulk , and if in bulk is there a server like in the buffet ?

🤣 you can walk around the pool deck with the ketchup bottle in your swim suit 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I have rather pedestrian preferences when it comes to food so you will have to forgive these types of questions.  The one time I had a hot dog on Princess (which was on the Lido Deck of the Royal), I recall the bread being way too big for the dog.  And I recall the dog size was a little bigger for my preference as well.  Is there like a kid size dog with an appropriately proportioned bun that I can get quickly somewhere on the ship, like the buffet or one of the cafes?  One of things I occasionally find myself thinking is that I don't eat a hot dog anywhere near as much as I'd like.  It doesn't help that the vast majority of Wienerschnitzel franchises in my area have closed down over the past couple of decades.

The best place to get a hot dog may be right in your backyard COSTCO! With a soda it costs a whooping $1.50. You don't have to be a member to go to the food court or pharmacy in any Costco. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, memoak said:

In my opinion when they rebranded the grill on Lido to the Salty Dog Grill the hot dogs improved.  Or is my memory bad ?

My last cruise was on the Royal (Regal?) in Dec of 2019.  The hot dog at the grill was the same as ever.  Those street tacos though...😒

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

Pre-covid the ketchup, mustard, mayo & IIRC pickle relish were in large stainless containers with a pump on top. Kind of like what you see at Costco (if you've seen theirs in the food court). No labels as to brands.

• Like 2

Hot Dogs... next Hamburgers, Fries and Pizza..... following   which Beer to wash it down.......

Going for a  Hot Dog on our next cruise        if I can remember  as it isn't till Nov 22

I remember the Hamburgers were pretty good...

• Like 3

It's been so long, I cannot remember the hot dogs on Princess 😭

Hopefully, the wait will be over this November!  I guess I can get a decent dog at Costco until then.  I did hear that Costco is not bringing back the onion dispenser though.  That's a conversation for a completely different forum entirely though! LOL!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kay S said:

My last cruise was on the Royal (Regal?) in Dec of 2019.  The hot dog at the grill was the same as ever.  Those street tacos though...😒

well that's more depressing than a flat tire on the autobahn 

• Like 1

I'm a real hot dog fan.  Growing up on Long Island there used to be hot dog trucks parked on the side of major roads that sold ice cold cans of soda and the most delicious hot dogs!

I like the taste of Princess hot dogs and they have always been well cooked, but for my personal preference they are a little thick.  I like a thinner, longer dog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

The best place to get a hot dog may be right in your backyard COSTCO! With a soda it costs a whooping $1.50. You don't have to be a member to go to the food court or pharmacy in any Costco. 

@cruzsnooze, have you been to Costco food court lately? Food court now requires membership card, changed last year sometime and widely announced. A get around if not a member Is have a Costco member buy you Costco cash card which you can use at the food court whether inside store or outdoor. Cash card does need to be used to pay for food court purchase too, so just showing one is not enough.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@cruzsnooze, have you been to Costco food court lately? Food court now requires membership card, changed last year sometime and widely announced. A get around if not a member Is have a Costco member buy you Costco cash card which you can use at the food court whether inside store or outdoor. Cash card does need to be used to pay for food court purchase too, so just showing one is not enough.

I didn't know they changed the rules. Good for somebody to know there is a work around buying a Costco cash card. I always have one anyway as a perk for booking some trips through them.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1