Best cabin location for South America cruise midship/suites

zitsky

My partner and I did South America in 2018 on NCL.  He still talks about it.  I see that X has a cruise and we are thinking to do it in 2023.

We are thinking to book a suite this time.  We generally prefer mid ship but I see many/most suites are aft?  We have a European cruise in an aft cabin but we are expecting less motion.

Just wondering if you have a suggestion about where to stay on the ship.  We have lots of time to plan.  I know some people book these really early!

40 minutes ago, zitsky said:

My partner and I did South America in 2018 on NCL.  He still talks about it.  I see that X has a cruise and we are thinking to do it in 2023.

We are thinking to book a suite this time.  We generally prefer mid ship but I see many/most suites are aft?  We have a European cruise in an aft cabin but we are expecting less motion.

Just wondering if you have a suggestion about where to stay on the ship.  We have lots of time to plan.  I know some people book these really early!

Zitsky our last actual cruise was on Eclipse in Jan 2020 around South America.  We stayed in a corner aft S1 sky suite.  Wonderful cabin to see the scenery! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Helps to name the ship you are inquiring about.

Infinity.  Hopefully revolutionized by then if not sold.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Zitsky our last actual cruise was on Eclipse in Jan 2020 around South America.  We stayed in a corner aft S1 sky suite.  Wonderful cabin to see the scenery! 

Motion? A bucket list trip for us is around the horn. I can definitely see the advantages of one of those aft sky suites, but would be concerned about seasickness - we are both reasonably good sailors, never had any issues that couldn’t be managed by Bonine, fresh air and a nap, even in the Bay of Biscay skirting around a hurricane - but the places where it would rougher are the places we wouldn’t want to miss?

Posted (edited)

32228124942_53d44f472c_b.jpg

We did a 15 night South America cruise on Infinity back in 2016.  Yes, it was a most awesome trip.  I have three comments regarding cabin location:

1. An aft cabin looking out over the stern of the ship is great from a scenery perspective, especially when sailing through the islands and channels in Chile and sailing through the Beagle Channel because there is something to see on both sides of the ship.  And the aft balconies give you plenty of opportunities to watch an albatross lazily soar behind the ship.

32258333121_c9b7596060_c.jpg

View of Chilean coastline from our Infinity aft cabin balcony

2. When you sail through the Beagle Channel, there are several tidewater glaciers on the north side of the channel that you can see.  If you are sailing from Chile to Argentina (like we did) and you want to see these glaciers from your cabin, then choose a port side cabin.  That way you can step out onto your balcony during the early morning hours as Infinity sails by them on her way to the port of Ushuaia.  If you are sailing from Argentina to Chile, choose a starboard side cabin to see the glaciers when you leave Ushuaia.

32339267676_1486dfa32d_b.jpg

Sailing by the Holanda Glacier at 6:33 am, Dec 31 2016.

3. When it comes to seeing Cape Horn, for our cruise Infinity performed several rotations to allow all cabins and passengers did get a view.

32228127192_246f6dc5e2_b.jpg

7:33 am, New Years Day 2017: an early morning view of the Cape Horn archipelago islands.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Zitsky, just curious/nosy, are planning a B2B?

No it will be just the one cruise.  Covid permitting! (in 2023)

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Good to hear of the experience in the Aft S1.   We booked  on  Equinox on a B2B starting September 5.   We got the last 2 suites (just booked last week) and they both ended up being After Corner S1's.     We have never sailed in an Aft cabin so was happy to get them.   Initially suites were sold out but suddenly they popped up.   I thought someone must have cancelled as I thought they were in pretty high demand.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Motion? A bucket list trip for us is around the horn. I can definitely see the advantages of one of those aft sky suites, but would be concerned about seasickness - we are both reasonably good sailors, never had any issues that couldn’t be managed by Bonine, fresh air and a nap, even in the Bay of Biscay skirting around a hurricane - but the places where it would rougher are the places we wouldn’t want to miss?

We did Chile around the Horn to Argentina.  There was some occasional rain and wind as we went south but we never experienced rough seas.  I’m sure that happens on occasion but not on our trip.  The area in Patagonia is pretty well protected from open ocean (and beautiful!).

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good to hear of the experience in the Aft S1.   We booked  on  Equinox on a B2B starting September 5.   We got the last 2 suites (just booked last week) and they both ended up being After Corner S1's.     We have never sailed in an Aft cabin so was happy to get them.   Initially suites were sold out but suddenly they popped up.   I thought someone must have cancelled as I thought they were in pretty high demand.

You will love the corner aft!  We try to get one for longer cruises if we can.  They sell out very quickly.