Grand Circle Line Cancels

Woofbite

Just notified that our October 2, 2021 Budapest to Bucharest riverboat cruise has been cancelled. 

That's cruise number five gone over the last year.

The airline cancels are the bigger mess since they only refund in future credit and it has to be used

by middle/end of 2022. 

I guess we just have to fly around for the "enjoyment" of it to use them all up. 

Yipes!

Uniworld insisted yesterday that their 10 August Budapest to Bucharest cruise will depart as planned. Based on what, I asked the CS rep after 30 minutes on hold, since currently US citizens cannot enter the country? His answer was less than comforting, “ As we expect the restrictions to be lifted before the cruise begins.”

Yeah, sure!
Sigh…….

7 hours ago, Woofbite said:

Just notified that our October 2, 2021 Budapest to Bucharest riverboat cruise has been cancelled. 

That's cruise number five gone over the last year.

The airline cancels are the bigger mess since they only refund in future credit and it has to be used

by middle/end of 2022. 

I guess we just have to fly around for the "enjoyment" of it to use them all up. 

Which line?

On 7/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, PhD-iva said:

Yipes!

Uniworld insisted yesterday that their 10 August Budapest to Bucharest cruise will depart as planned. Based on what, I asked the CS rep after 30 minutes on hold, since currently US citizens cannot enter the country? His answer was less than comforting, “ As we expect the restrictions to be lifted before the cruise begins.”

Yeah, sure!
Sigh…….

How frustrating!

44 minutes ago, Coral said:

How frustrating!

Yes, it has been. On the bright side, I think my cruise will be a go. 2 days ago Uniworld changed my flights, so they must expect there to be a reason to keep changing my flights. About 9 days to go - I (might) fly out on Monday 9 August.

BTW, since this is a GCT thread, we sailed on their Paris to Normandy cruise in 2009(?). Was hit or miss depending on group tour leader. There were 3 tour leaders on our ship, and we got the dud. We had a lot of WWII vets, many of whom served during the Normandy invasion. It was incredibly frustrating and infuriating that the local guide who accompanied us on our tour of the Normandy beaches talked up the *** (“they weren’t so bad really……”) Along with much worse comments indeed.

Just now, PhD-iva said:

Yes, it has been. On the bright side, I think my cruise will be a go. 2 days ago Uniworld changed my flights, so they must expect there to be a reason to keep changing my flights. About 9 days to go - I (might) fly out on Monday 9 August.

BTW, since this is a GCT thread, we sailed on their Paris to Normandy cruise in 2009(?). Was hit or miss depending on group tour leader. There were 3 tour leaders on our ship, and we got the dud. We had a lot of WWII vets, many of whom served during the Normandy invasion. It was incredibly frustrating and infuriating that the local guide who accompanied us on our tour of the Normandy beaches talked up the *** (“they weren’t so bad really……”) Along with much worse comments indeed.

I see that the editor cut out the word that identified who invaded France during WWII. I think you can guess……

1 minute ago, PhD-iva said:

I see that the editor cut out the word that identified who invaded France during WWII. I think you can guess……

Yep - got it! Disappointing!

3 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

We will anxiously be waiting your reports! Hope it goes well!

• Thanks 1

It all depends if you use a particular word in Europe and I include the U.K. in this a certain word is acceptable but the name of the nation is an absolute no, no.

On a Seine cruse we had a tour guide who was somewhat similar but he went further back I.e. the Normans we including the Australians, New Zealander’s and Canadians just came back with - remember Agincourt, which upset him even more. Maybe he was one and the same.

5 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Wasn't me, Cruise Critic has a bot that scans all posts for banned words.  Don't even think about discussing Seinfeld's favorite deli guy [the 'Soup ****']

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wasn't me, Cruise Critic has a bot that scans all posts for banned words.  Don't even think about discussing Seinfeld's favorite deli guy [the 'Soup ****']

The “bots” got me!