Jump to content

What Do You Like Or Dislike About The Koningsdam


Recommended Posts

We had our one and only cruise on Koningsdam in 2016. It is the only HAL ship we dislike. Our two biggest complaints where the promenade deck ( or lack of ) and the long 20-30 minutes wait for the MDR EVERY night. Our favorite cabin on HAL is a Lani with the associated deck chairs. Koningsdam does not even have deck chairs. The MDR appears to be sized to drive guests to the specialty restaurants. With the sell of Prinsendam  and then four more of their smaller ships last year (our favorite Rotterdam) we are reassessing our future cruises with HAL. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Calypso54 said:

We had our one and only cruise on Koningsdam in 2016. It is the only HAL ship we dislike. Our two biggest complaints where the promenade deck ( or lack of ) and the long 20-30 minutes wait for the MDR EVERY night. Our favorite cabin on HAL is a Lani with the associated deck chairs. Koningsdam does not even have deck chairs. The MDR appears to be sized to drive guests to the specialty restaurants. With the sell of Prinsendam  and then four more of their smaller ships last year (our favorite Rotterdam) we are reassessing our future cruises with HAL. 

I wholeheartedly agree about the restaurant situation and came to a similar conclusion.  I don’t think it is necessarily size but staffing. They are using the same amount of restaurant crew but spreading them thin. 
 

I think this phase may be superseded by MDR dining with paid options.   I find the whole specialty dining venues tiring.   Those spaces could be better used for something besides eating even though cruisers tend to be obsessed with eating 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 8:39 AM, Cruising-along said:

Have sailed the Koningsdam twice.  First time was in 2017 when she was fairly new.  It's a good thing I give second chances, because that cruise wasn't the best.  Nothing wrong with the ship, we love the Pinnacle Class ships because of the extra entertainment and dining.  We still can walk completely around the promenade deck unlike on some other cruise lines.

 

What was wrong on that cruise was the service (the only time in 25 cruises that we had poor service from our cabin stewards), on-going billing problems with the Pinnacle and Beverage Dept., and several problems with our cabin.  

 

But we sailed the K again (it actually was our last cruise in Oct-Nov 2019) and everything was great. Just goes to show, always give second chances!

I feel the same.  I think everybody has had their share of less than ideal cruises, it stinks, but the best thing to do is just move on rather than hold it against HAL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm not understanding the issue with the MDR's.  Seems to me that they are pretty consistent on all HAL ships, what goes wrong here?  More people?  Layout/design?  Hideous wallpaper?

 

Never mind, I reread some of the posts again, I'm going to look at some pictures because I know so little about this ship.  We were thinking of sailing her too, but I don't think I'd like the promenade situation.  And getting DD into a restaurant is like pulling teeth, he's super old school, and in his day food is included in the cost of the trip, period!

Edited by atexsix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I googled the MDR and OH...MY...GOD!  That would take some getting used to.

 

Still hard to figure out why the layout doesn't work, guess you have to be there, but the deck plans read like there'd be some bottlenecks to get in/out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, atexsix said:

And getting DD into a restaurant is like pulling teeth, he's super old school, and in his day food is included in the cost of the trip, period!

Yep, the DH will have nothing to do with paid restaurants.  Me, I am happy with fresh, healthful food and don’t need the “experience “.   The early dining was much earlier than I recalled and I opted into anytime.   That was a mistake.  Those who chose early dining did not face the wait. Next cruise I am assigned early dining 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yep, the DH will have nothing to do with paid restaurants.  Me, I am happy with fresh, healthful food and don’t need the “experience “.   The early dining was much earlier than I recalled and I opted into anytime.   That was a mistake.  Those who chose early dining did not face the wait. Next cruise I am assigned early dining 

We don't always get fixed main seating, but even with anytime, we don't arrive until after 8:00 and they always seat us on the 2nd level which was never crowded or loud, but even the lower level was clearing out by then when they'd escort us up the staircase.  

 

On our last trip the very observant assistant manager noticed we were always there after 8 and converted us to a fixed table for two, I tipped him VERY well.  But it was also a much longer cruise with a ton of sea days and more time to get to know us, that doesn't usually happen on our 7 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We don't always get fixed main seating, but even with anytime, we don't arrive until after 8:00 and they always seat us on the 2nd level which was never crowded or loud, but even the lower level was clearing out by then when they'd escort us up the staircase.  

 

On our last trip the very observant assistant manager noticed we were always there after 8 and converted us to a fixed table for two, I tipped him VERY well.  But it was also a much longer cruise with a ton of sea days and more time to get to know us, that doesn't usually happen on our 7 days.

You should have no problem with late dining.  I am not a late diner but I know as I left the crowds had significantly subsided. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 1:49 PM, keysey222 said:

We loved the pizza and sandwich spot on the 2nd floor of the indoor pool area. The ship was beautiful and modern - didn't feel dated like some of the older HAL ships. I loved nearly everything about it, except for that fact that it felt more crowed than the smaller ships (even the Westerdam/Oosterdam class of ships). I'd sail her again in a heartbeat! 

I love 'dated 'ships...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

In general the old HAL is gone . Carnival corp to survive this covid disaster will bring out more & more modern ships into all the divisions For them it is just good business & they certainly know their business  .It is all about the top & bottom lines just like other industries 

 

 My personal opinion of the main dining room ,after 2 cruises  on Koningsdam is as good if not better than the old Ryndam ,Oosterdam , Old Rotterdam  .These are the 4 HAL sho[s we sailed but many more with Celebrity & Royal'as we have top tier status with both those ; lines .Over 80 cruises & very close to 90 cruises ,so we can make comparisons . In all aspects we enjoyed Koningsdam even more than all the Celebrity ships we sailed 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We loved the Koningsdam when we sailed her about 18 months ago.   We really enjoyed the salad bar in the Lido.   They had bowls the size of mixing bowls and we actually lost weight because we enjoyed the variety in those salad bowls.   We got to pick the ingredients and the server placed everything in the bowls.   Also enjoyed the casual spots for sandwiches and hot dogs and hamburgs and the music venues.  There was always good dance music to listen to and dance to.   Great for people watching as well.

 

We had a cabin that had a  partial blocked view that was large and a big balcony that we loved.  We still had an ocean view between the life boats.  It was a pleasant surprise.    Hope to sail on her again.   We are booked on the new Rotterdam in November and looking forward to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, atexsix said:

Okay, I googled the MDR and OH...MY...GOD!  That would take some getting used to.

 

Still hard to figure out why the layout doesn't work, guess you have to be there, but the deck plans read like there'd be some bottlenecks to get in/out.  

 

You piqued my curiosity and I googled the MDR. And then I QUOTED you.......OH. MY. GOD!!!!! Holy cats, it looks like you're dining from inside a whale (bones)! Hahahahahaha! Our first cruise on the K will be this coming December, looking forward to seeing it in person. Funny thing is that we love the specialty dining and have already booked 5 of 7 nights in the various restaurants (some of the restaurants will be our first time in that particular "brand" [Sel de Mer, Nami Sushi]). So if we find the MDR truly objectionable, we'll only be there twice an I think we can put up with anything twice!

 

Best wishes!

Edited by CruiseMGM
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Mary229 said:

   I find the whole specialty dining venues tiring.   Those spaces could be better used for something besides eating even though cruisers tend to be obsessed with eating

 

since you don’t do specialty dining then don’t deprive those that enjoy it and are happy to do it. 🙂.  Sel de Mer has been good on every cruise we have been on.  

 

Canaletto has been a relief when the MDR menu was meh.  And PG is always fun.  We’ve been lucky to have mostly good ones.

 

Specialty dining is not so much about eating (after all you do that in the MDR too) but about different food than is offered in the MDR.  Many enjoy it and are happy to pay for it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

since you don’t do specialty dining then don’t deprive those that enjoy it and are happy to do it. 🙂.  Sel de Mer has been good on every cruise we have been on.  

 

Canaletto has been a relief when the MDR menu was meh.  And PG is always fun.  We’ve been lucky to have mostly good ones.

 

Specialty dining is not so much about eating (after all you do that in the MDR too) but about different food than is offered in the MDR.  Many enjoy it and are happy to pay for it.

I think the multitude of restaurants take up valuable real estate.  There are other features I feel similarly.  Things will change with the times as new passengers have different interests.  I have no desire “to deprive” anyone but am voicing my consumer opinion.  
 

I know I will be met with these are money makers but there are other money makers.  
 

interestingly someone said the other day that instead of art galleries how about technology hubs where people can buy electronics.   I think that is a example of changing consumer interests.  I think it would be a winner 

Edited by Mary229
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I think the multitude of restaurants take up valuable real estate.  There are other features I feel similarly.  Things will change with the times as new passengers have different interests.  I have no desire “to deprive” anyone but am voicing my consumer opinion.  
 

I know I will be met with these are money makers but there are other money makers.  
 

interestingly someone said the other day that instead of art galleries how about technology hubs where people can buy electronics.   I think that is a example of changing consumer interests.  I think it would be a winner 

Years ago I was never one to pay extra for a restaurant when I could get a meal for free.  Then my ta purchased a meal for me in the pinnacle.  It’s head and shoulders about the dining room.  It also brings money into the hal coffers.  I spend a lot more of my cruise in the specialty dining now because it’s so good. I could say get rid of the main theatre or the picture gallery because that’s not something I like but I wouldn’t do that because it’s not my super yacht.  Just because you don’t like it, it doesn’t mean it’s wasted space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Years ago I was never one to pay extra for a restaurant when I could get a meal for free.  Then my ta purchased a meal for me in the pinnacle.  It’s head and shoulders about the dining room.  It also brings money into the hal coffers.  I spend a lot more of my cruise in the specialty dining now because it’s so good. I could say get rid of the main theatre or the picture gallery because that’s not something I like but I wouldn’t do that because it’s not my super yacht.  Just because you don’t like it, it doesn’t mean it’s wasted space.

For me it is wasted space, that is my consumer opinion. That does not diminish your opinion.   I have eaten in paid versions when I sail with family, I am not a foodie, Cuisine on ship is not a priority.  I am sure cruise lines keep a careful eye on trends and profitability which they garner from consumer opinions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

For me it is wasted space, that is my consumer opinion. That does not diminish your opinion.   I have eaten in paid versions when I sail with family, I am not a foodie, Cuisine on ship is not a priority.  I am sure cruise lines keep a careful eye on trends and profitability which they garner from consumer opinions.  

I’m curious, what would you put in those spaces that you would think wasn’t a waste of space that generates revenue?  Hal, or any other cruise line is not going to have tons of open space, just as no hotel would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m curious, what would you put in those spaces that you would think wasn’t a waste of space that generates revenue?  Hal, or any other cruise line is not going to have tons of open space, just as no hotel would.

I have no concrete ideas. I did like the technology plan I quoted above.  I do like the new photography studio which is basically a counter and a few computers, that definitely was a welcome change.  They took that space and put in a restaurant.The MDR could certainly welcome a little additional space and certainly sending more of the restaurant staff back to the MDR would be welcome.   Remember I am speaking of the Pinnacle class ships which have a plethora of private dining rooms which require a lot os space.  Also restaurant space is fixed and cannot be used for other activities.  It has no flexibility   
 

I do think as time goes on consumer trends will change and those spaces will be changed.  

Edited by Mary229
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m curious, what would you put in those spaces that you would think wasn’t a waste of space that generates revenue?  Hal, or any other cruise line is not going to have tons of open space, just as no hotel would.

Ps. Weren’t most of us glad when they removed the art auctions?  I offer this as a long time trend that finally disappeared.   We also now have a thermal spa, that is relatively new, I love it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have no concrete ideas. I did like the technology plan I quoted above.  I do like the new photography studio which is basically a counter and a few computers, that definitely was a welcome change.  They took that space and put in a restaurant.The MDR could certainly welcome a little additional space and certainly sending more of the restaurant staff back to the MDR would be welcome.   Remember I am speaking of the Pinnacle class ships which have a plethora of private dining rooms which require a lot os space.  Also restaurant space is fixed and cannot be used for other activities.  It has no flexibility   
 

I do think as time goes on consumer trends will change and those spaces will be changed.  

So just leave it open space?  No concrete ideas.  Sounds like a wonderful plan. Just because someone likes good food doesn’t mean they are obsessed with eating.  I find that very offensive. Some of us do enjoy very good food and are willing  to pay for it.  The fish was just perfectly cooked in Sel de mer in my last cruise on the n statendam.  I couldn’t get a piece of fish in the mdr that wasn’t incredibly overcooked no matter how hard I tried.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

So just leave it open space?  No concrete ideas.  Sounds like a wonderful plan. Just because someone likes good food doesn’t mean they are obsessed with eating.  I find that very offensive. Some of us do enjoy very good food and are willing  to pay for it.  The fish was just perfectly cooked in Sel de mer in my last cruise on the n statendam.  I couldn’t get a piece of fish in the mdr that wasn’t incredibly overcooked no matter how hard I tried.

I didn’t say I was a leisure expert and I did not diminish anyone else’s opinion.  Please don’t dismiss me for not being a leisure expert. I simply state that I see no use for that space and I feel it reduces staffing in the MDR. That is my opinion.   I am sure there are other uses of the space that I cannot imagine. You are on vacation, you shouldn’t care if I like what you are doing during your vacation, I certainly don’t concern myself with other people’s leisure time activity.  I don’t rock climb, parachute, zip line or take helicopter rides but don’t let it stop you.

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I didn’t say I was a leisure expert and I did not diminish anyone else’s opinion.  Please don’t dismiss me for not being a leisure expert. I simply state that I see no use for that space and I feel it reduces staffing in the MDR. That is my opinion.   I am sure there are other uses of the space that I cannot imagine. You are on vacation, you shouldn’t care if I like what you are doing during your vacation, I certainly don’t concern myself with other people’s leisure time activity.  I don’t rock climb, parachute, zip line or take helicopter rides but don’t let it stop you.

You said people are obsessed with eating.  Is that complimentary?  Time to update the ignore user function.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New question. We are taking our family and will eat in the Pinnacle and other specialty venues , do they have reduced rates for children that are 4 ? My 4 great grandkids that are all 4 are well behaved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...