Jump to content

Anyone else reevaluating?


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

After being cancelled on and rebooked NINE TIMES on three different cruise lines, I'm just ready to get on the ship... I'm hoping and praying that my Virgin Voyages cruise in October is a go...

I’m pulling for you..

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It's called "peace of mind".  I wasn't worried about me getting sick and dying....but the guilt of spreading it to friends/family if I knew I had the symptoms (sore throat and cough) and didn't bother to confirm that it wasn't covid.

 

FYI...it costs $0, a one minute walk from my apt..... and results are in less than an hour.  Getting tested couldn't be easier.

If you’re fully vaccinated, that chance is virtually nil. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

If you’re fully vaccinated, that chance is virtually nil. 

I know that....but, I could be that "1 in a million".  If I could be assured, with just about no effort, why not?  I have 3 upcoming dates.  Didn't want my friends to worry if I went into a coughing spasm!

 

My point about reconsidering really has nothing to do with me getting sick.  I went maskless outdoors two weeks after #2, maskless indoors as soon as I could....went to a B'way event Sunday (vaccinations mandatory, masks optional) etc.  Point being...I feel very confortable going out and about. 

 

But how do I know what's gonna happen in November.  Suppose I need to wear a mask?  Suppose there are other restrictions?  Why bother to pay for this?  Why bother to give NCL a substantial amout of money and if the trip gets canceled...yet another FCC for another "unknown". 

 

If I'm spending thousands of dollars...I could have a blast at my local casino, buy a major jewelry bauble, see shows, dine out for that money....all without the stress.

 

DH says "hold off canceling" until final payment...and he's the one who doesn't like cruising.  Lol!

 

Just wanted to add....who knows what "varients" will show up?  Who knows how long the vaccine will be effective?  Too many "who knows"......

If it were just "the status quo" from a week ago, that would be ok.  But every day it seems we get farther way from what was "the staus quo" a week ago.

 

 

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I re-evaluated my Greece cruise for October once I found out that masks were required on the ship. I contemplated changing to a Bermuda cruise from NY, but I finally decided that I will go on the cruise from Athens. I'd rather be on the Jade in Greece with a mask, than sit at home without one.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, craig01020 said:

I re-evaluated my Greece cruise for October once I found out that masks were required on the ship. I contemplated changing to a Bermuda cruise from NY, but I finally decided that I will go on the cruise from Athens. I'd rather be on the Jade in Greece with a mask, than sit at home without one.

The way it is looking you would be wearing a mask in Bermuda also - I would def take the Jade in Greece.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand many of the comments made, and support everyone's right to make their own decisions. For me, I'm 76 years old and have a list of bucket locations that I really want to go to. Who knows how long I have, but I sure don't want to wait. If I wait, it may be too late. I can't afford to do 3 to 6 cruises in one year, I have to spread them out, that is going to take years. Just tired of all this waiting, confusion, whatever. If NCL is going, mask or not, testing or not (am vaccinated) I'm going on a cruise in October out of Rome.

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

The way it is looking you would be wearing a mask in Bermuda also

Yup. The Bermuda option was primarily to avoid air travel and just be closer to home if I had the dreaded false-positive test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am glad I went on the RCL Adventure of Seas out of Nassau in June, seems like that was the sweet spot with Covid since the Delta varient hadnt taken hold.  Was great having no masks on the ship or private island.  Just needed masks in Cozumel which was fine by me.  I just cancelled my Jan22 MSC cruise out of FL and switched to a Jan22 NCL cruise out of New Orleans due to the "100%" vaccination requirement so I can avoid masks while on the ship and not have to deal with the FL vaccination law debacle.  Masks in port is fine with me but not on the ship, so hopefully NCL requirements hold past the current Oct21 plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Why bother to give NCL a substantial amout of money and if the trip gets canceled...yet another FCC for another "unknown". 

 

Why not give them the "substantial amount of money" and just get a cash refund if things go belly up?  I understand that other factors may drive a decision, but losing cash for an FCC isn't one of them.  If they cancel, you get your cash back.  😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why not give them the "substantial amount of money" and just get a cash refund if things go belly up?  I understand that other factors may drive a decision, but losing cash for an FCC isn't one of them.  If they cancel, you get your cash back.  😎

OK...you got me on that one!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't re-evaluated, but am cautiously optimistic that my cruise later this year will go.  Just paid my final payment on our first Regent's cruise.  However, I did purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance, which, while pricey, at least gives me options should things not go the way I hope.

Masking not so big an issue.  Not looking forward to it, but unfortunately, it looks like that's the way things are going to go.  That's why I book a balcony stateroom....if I have to, I can spend time reading and relaxing (maskless) in there!  I can tolerate short periods in a mask...we'll see if I am willing to fly overseas in a mask...but I knew about that when I booked.

Fingers crossed that things keep going well.....I am SO ready to get back to cruising....and would like the experience to be the way I remember, but I can deal with some changes!  You have to decide what works (or not) for you!

Good luck to all, whatever you decide!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BamaCruiser39 said:

Booked for 8/15 on the Gem and still fully plan on going unless NCL pulls the rug out from under our feet again.

Well you are a brave sole heading to Florida in just over two weeks to take an NCL cruise out of Miami. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

OK...you got me on that one!

 

 

I understand why you are reevaluating taking a cruise.  I am on the fence also.  I am not cruising until February 2022 so I have until October to make a decision. I won't have the choice of getting a refund only an FCC if I cancel because I don't feel it is safe unless they change their policies.  I really want to cruise in December also but I am holding off for that right now.  I am pinning my hopes on a booster shot being available that will slow this thing down or finally end it which is probably just wishful thinking.  Right now I am just going to wait and see what happens and make a decision when final payment is due.

 

No one knows what will happen in the future and if you told me two years ago we were going to have a pandemic I would say you were crazy.   I never wanted to get a vaccine (who does) but I did what I felt was the best for me, my family, and other people that I come in contact with.  I will also get a booster shot if once comes out.  I just want my life back or as close to it as I can get.  I am not getting any younger and I want to do the things I enjoy before I am too old to do that.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

  I never wanted to get a vaccine (who does) but I did what I felt was the best for me, my family, and other people that I come in contact with.  I will also get a booster shot if once comes out.  I just want my life back or as close to it as I can get.  I am not getting any younger and I want to do the things I enjoy before I am too old to do that.

I'm vaccinated and I'm getting on the first cruise that I can.  There are no guarantees in this life.  Those who plan their lives waiting for "things to get better" are making a very questionable wager.  Even if COVID is gone in twelve months, who knows what other "life" may happen before that point?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

 

 

No one knows what will happen in the future and if you told me two years ago we were going to have a pandemic I would say you were crazy.    I just want my life back or as close to it as I can get.  I am not getting any younger and I want to do the things I enjoy before I am too old to do that.

 

 

 

yes yes yes.  I got the vaccine and I feel that getting back in to cruising and theme parks can be done safely.  I will have all Balconies for my 4 cruises this fall.  I will wear that mask and I will mingle less, and stay to myself and enjoy the waves and the view of the water.  Life has to move on in some ways and I really hope more would get the vaccine.  Those in hospitals near death were begging for it and the doctors told them too late.  

 

At some point each of us has to decide when staying home and not travelling has to end.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings from South Beach. This is a resort but I still want to cruise. A victim of multiple cancellations and a recent widow, I booked a Studio on the Encore because I want to meet other solos in the designated lounge. My husband and I sailed PH's on Oceania, and Haven on NCL. I never met a solo in either of those categories. Everyone on  American Dream in  Singapore was confined to quarters when covid was discovered. The incident when the woman was Medevaced back to the Bronx although first testing negative twice including at boarding also has me worried. The idea of being confined in a Studio is unacceptable. I have claustrophobia that is manageable only if leaving is unrestricted. Final payment is due in November. There is time to see how things play out. It is reasonable to confine people who on board who test positive, and a retest is also reasonable. It is unreasonable to confine everyone else. If that is the new norm, the cruise industry will have trouble surviving. Destroying life as we know it because of a disease defies logic.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I am also worried about the entire ship being confined to quarters if a passenger or one of the staff tests positive.   That seems unnecessary if you are on a fully vaccinated sailing.     We are on a European sailing out of Rome at the end of September and I am most concerned about the potential closure of the major tourist sites and attractions.  I can't imaging spending all of that money to fly there and not being able to see the sites.  I have 2 more days until final payment.  Leaning towards canceling and then perhaps rebooking last minute dependent on circumstances.   Airfare already booked - I will just move to spring if needed.   

 

Edited by Cb2534
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, warburg said:

Greetings from South Beach. This is a resort but I still want to cruise. A victim of multiple cancellations and a recent widow, I booked a Studio on the Encore because I want to meet other solos in the designated lounge. My husband and I sailed PH's on Oceania, and Haven on NCL. I never met a solo in either of those categories. Everyone on  American Dream in  Singapore was confined to quarters when covid was discovered. The incident when the woman was Medevaced back to the Bronx although first testing negative twice including at boarding also has me worried. The idea of being confined in a Studio is unacceptable. I have claustrophobia that is manageable only if leaving is unrestricted. Final payment is due in November. There is time to see how things play out. It is reasonable to confine people who on board who test positive, and a retest is also reasonable. It is unreasonable to confine everyone else. If that is the new norm, the cruise industry will have trouble surviving. Destroying life as we know it because of a disease defies logic.

.

At this point I would only do a balcony or higher. I have considered going in December solo since everyone I would travel with are not interested. I know I would be claustrophobic also. Heck I was claustrophobic stuck at home during the dark days of the pandemic and I have a whole house and yard to walk around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

If you’re fully vaccinated, that chance is virtually nil. 

That’s what the fully vaccinated passengers on the Celebrity cruise to Alaska said earlier this week until they were escorted off the ship and medivaced home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BirdTravels said:

That’s what the fully vaccinated passengers on the Celebrity cruise to Alaska said earlier this week until they were escorted off the ship and medivaced home.

The chances of a vaccinated person getting very sick is still way below 1%.

However, the chances of an unvaccinated person with a fake vaccination card getting sick is much higher.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That’s what the fully vaccinated passengers on the Celebrity cruise to Alaska said earlier this week until they were escorted off the ship and medivaced home. 

Bird you’ve done a cruise since covid, how was it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I know that....but, I could be that "1 in a million".  If I could be assured, with just about no effort, why not?  I have 3 upcoming dates.  Didn't want my friends to worry if I went into a coughing spasm!

 

My point about reconsidering really has nothing to do with me getting sick.  I went maskless outdoors two weeks after #2, maskless indoors as soon as I could....went to a B'way event Sunday (vaccinations mandatory, masks optional) etc.  Point being...I feel very confortable going out and about. 

 

But how do I know what's gonna happen in November.  Suppose I need to wear a mask?  Suppose there are other restrictions?  Why bother to pay for this?  Why bother to give NCL a substantial amout of money and if the trip gets canceled...yet another FCC for another "unknown". 

 

If I'm spending thousands of dollars...I could have a blast at my local casino, buy a major jewelry bauble, see shows, dine out for that money....all without the stress.

 

DH says "hold off canceling" until final payment...and he's the one who doesn't like cruising.  Lol!

 

Just wanted to add....who knows what "varients" will show up?  Who knows how long the vaccine will be effective?  Too many "who knows"......

If it were just "the status quo" from a week ago, that would be ok.  But every day it seems we get farther way from what was "the staus quo" a week ago.

 

 

So if a mask in port is a deal breaker, that will not change in the near future. Many areas still have low vaccination rates and have masking rules that are enforced. We were on a cruise out of Nassau last month and the Bahamas still had a vaccination rate in the single digits. Masks were required in Nassau and Freeport and the locals warned that the police were going out of their way to give out $250 tickets to tourists who did not follow masking rules. Cozumel was the same. We had hand sanitizer squirted on us 4 times from the time we left the gangway to the time we boarded our dive boat just outside the cruise ship dock. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...