Jump to content

Restart of international cruise sailings


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Today’s news - from Govt press release 

 

Following the close monitoring of epidemiological evidence, gained through the restart of the domestic cruise industry earlier this year, the UK government has also confirmed the go ahead for international cruise sailings to restart from England in line with Public Health England guidance. International cruise travel advice will be amended to encourage travellers to understand the risks associated with cruise travel and take personal responsibility for their own safety abroad.

 

To further support the safe restart of international cruise travel, the government and cruise industry have signed a breakthrough memorandum of understanding (MOU) to help the industry build back from COVID-19 while protecting British nationals from future pandemic-related disruption.

 

Update 

 

Newspaper article (no restart dates)

 

In further measures, it was announced that international cruises have also been given the go-ahead for the first time in more than a year.

 

Cruises will be able to start and finish in English ports – calling at foreign destinations in between – without requiring vaccinated passengers to quarantine on their return. It will provide a big boost to the cruise industry, which was effectively closed down at the start of the pandemic.

Edited by galeforce9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Today’s news - from Govt press release 

 

Following the close monitoring of epidemiological evidence, gained through the restart of the domestic cruise industry earlier this year, the UK government has also confirmed the go ahead for international cruise sailings to restart from England in line with Public Health England guidance. International cruise travel advice will be amended to encourage travellers to understand the risks associated with cruise travel and take personal responsibility for their own safety abroad.

 

To further support the safe restart of international cruise travel, the government and cruise industry have signed a breakthrough memorandum of understanding (MOU) to help the industry build back from COVID-19 while protecting British nationals from future pandemic-related disruption.

This doesn’t mean other countries will allow UK ships to use their ports unless they follow their own Covid protocols such as testing and quarantine if that is what their laws demand. It is a step forward but also dependent on others who may look at our infections figures and any possible new variants and say no.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

This doesn’t mean other countries will allow UK ships to use their ports unless they follow their own Covid protocols such as testing and quarantine if that is what their laws demand. It is a step forward but also dependent on others who may look at our infections figures and any possible new variants and say no.

Agreed but a step forward nonetheless and worthy of mention. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

Further update from BBC in last few mins:

 

International cruises will be able to start again from England from Monday 2 August after a 16-month break.

Does anybody really think any cruise line will be able to arrange an itinerary for an international cruise and sell a good number of cabins to make it cost effective in just 5 days? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, pete14 said:

Does anybody really think any cruise line will be able to arrange an itinerary for an international cruise and sell a good number of cabins to make it cost effective in just 5 days? 

No, and presumably neither do the cruise lines, since their ships are all doing seacations until mid September. However P & O already have international cruises planned to follow on after the seacations, and the other UK based cruise lines seem to have something similar planned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Does anybody really think any cruise line will be able to arrange an itinerary for an international cruise and sell a good number of cabins to make it cost effective in just 5 days? 

Well, we booked a cruise in January with  Princess,  who took a gamble, and rearranged their schedule, and we have got an absolute bargain!    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, we booked a cruise in January with  Princess,  who took a gamble, and rearranged their schedule, and we have got an absolute bargain!    

We have an Iona cruise to the Canaries booked for next October. Just waiting for a week, or 2 and may move it to this October. It's actually cheaper at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have an Iona cruise to the Canaries booked for next October. Just waiting for a week, or 2 and may move it to this October. It's actually cheaper at the moment.

It might not be cheaper tomorrow!  I can see Autumn cruise prices going through the roof.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

It might not be cheaper tomorrow!  I can see Autumn cruise prices going through the roof.

Earlier this week I got my December cruise cancelled and rebooked at the Saver fare which was much cheaper than I was paying previously - glad I did. I reckon its going up again very soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...