Jump to content

Tipping?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, FreestyleNovice said:

 

I knew lawyers make a lot of money but to tip the buffet cook?! :classic_huh: I have never seen people tip at the buffet line. Perhaps a waiter for some beverages. But thanks for learning how to recognize a lawyer on a cruise ship. :classic_laugh:

this post was completely unwarranted. if youve ever been at a buffet in las vegas, you'll find that most people leave a dollar of two for the person making the omelet . this has been discussed many times before. if you dont want to tip, dont ! as for how much money i may make, its non of your d**n business. im not flaunting  about my money or status, and if you wanted to know who i was if we were on the same cruise, just ask and i would have gladly told you. i have said before, im the one with a glass of champagne in one hand and an ice cold heineken inthe other

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

 

Not sure about cruise ships but at many all-inclusives ("land" resorts, LOL)...there is even a tip jar at the omelette station.  Not saying a lot of people do it, but it is there...and there is always some money in it, based on my experience.  Perhaps cruises are too "classy" to tip the plebes at the buffet?



I wonder how much of that omelette station tip jar money is seed money? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

 

I think there may have been several people posting who do tip "extra", but I don't think that should be extrapolated to the general population...after all CC is full of blow hearts (like me).   That isn't necessarily indicative of the broader population, and I do believe at least one "extra tipper" pointed out that it was unusual / uncommon to be tipping extra.

 

I would (again) hazard a guess that if the majority of people on cruise ships (or resorts...or wherever) tipped "extra" this would be a non-issue.

 

 

by the way, it's blowhards, not blow hearts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, complawyer said:

this post was completely unwarranted. if youve ever been at a buffet in las vegas, you'll find that most people leave a dollar of two for the person making the omelet . this has been discussed many times before. if you dont want to tip, dont ! as for how much money i may make, its non of your d**n business. im not flaunting  about my money or status, and if you wanted to know who i was if we were on the same cruise, just ask and i would have gladly told you. i have said before, im the one with a glass of champagne in one hand and an ice cold heineken inthe other

 

I'm with you here.  Seems like some get pretty defensive when they hear others tip in some situations, that they would not.   I don't think any of the "extra" tippers are suggesting that anyone should match them or even tip a penny extra if they don't want to.   It is interesting, however, how the ridicule comes out when some express their own practice of tipping...you know...to express gratitude.  You know a gratuity?

 

I'm interested to hear from others what their "worthiness" scale is?   Buffet staff - nope.  Bartenders - nope.  Butler - nope.  Not sure what warrants an additional tip in the minds of some, but clearly some have made their minds up that certain service workers are "unworthy" of a tip.  Must be nice to be so learned that you can discern who are worthy of a tip...based on their job, not their service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Is it appropriate to tip the Captain of the ship?

 

I'm assuming you were being facetious?  Maybe not.

 

The Captain makes enough.  The guy at the omelette station...not so much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thank you, gettothesun. my personal opinion is that these people deserve a tip, so i tip. if someone doesnt feel its necessary to tip (since daily gratuities are factored in) then let them not tip.

i think we've discussed the tipping issue to death.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, complawyer said:

thank you, gettothesun. my personal opinion is that these people deserve a tip, so i tip. if someone doesnt feel its necessary to tip (since daily gratuities are factored in) then let them not tip.

i think we've discussed the tipping issue to death.

 

Agreed, I'm tapping out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

 

Not sure about cruise ships but at many all-inclusives ("land" resorts, LOL)...there is even a tip jar at the omelette station.  Not saying a lot of people do it, but it is there...and there is always some money in it, based on my experience.  Perhaps cruises are too "classy" to tip the plebes at the buffet?

 

Tip jars are not common in Europe (although nowadays more than before but our wages are sufficient so don't feel obligated when in Europe!) vs them being at almost every spot where people interact or render a service in the US.

 

I am note sure it's about classy. Cruises have the DSC to not have to carry around tip money at (to me) not so common places. And don't forget that staff work different stations and venues, a buffet cook in the morning may be a pool waiter later in the day. Not that I am against tipping but the crew who interact with guest are not the poorest, as I said before. The only way to benefit them all is by adding to the DSC, that way you will also ensure the cook who cuts the pepper and onions, the back galley worker who gets the eggs and the guy doing the dishes to supply a steady line of clean dishes.

 

Turning the question around; what extra service does the line cook do to deserve a tip? Does he toss in an extra egg? 

 

Not questioning their standard salary or their hospitality. As said; it may seem like that any service rendered or moment of interaction would justify a tip. It may go as far as your first "Welcome on board!" greeting as soon as you set step on board, because why not; it's crew who is here to serve you, they are awaiting your arrival with their hospitality. But I've never ever seen anybody tipping the crew with the welcome aboard moment (on some lines there's even a free drink, still).

 

And to be clear, we tip extra, never removed DSC but I guess we are not big tippers. And I can only speak for my own experiences on board and that is that I never saw tips being handed out at the buffet. :classic_smile:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

this post was completely unwarranted. if youve ever been at a buffet in las vegas, you'll find that most people leave a dollar of two for the person making the omelet . this has been discussed many times before. if you dont want to tip, dont ! as for how much money i may make, its non of your d**n business. im not flaunting  about my money or status, and if you wanted to know who i was if we were on the same cruise, just ask and i would have gladly told you. i have said before, im the one with a glass of champagne in one hand and an ice cold heineken inthe other

 

A bit sensitive? I guess the tongue in cheek got lost in translation. :classic_blush: You are free to do whatever you like, please by all means. :classic_happy:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, billslowsky said:

When that "preferential treatment" results in people intentionally getting served out of order, I use the handy comment cards. 

 

It is rude when the bar tender goes out of order. How do they know you were not about to leave a good tip, and make him your favorite bartender as well? I wouldn't fill out a comment card, but it would affect my tip for sure. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

 

I'm with you here.  Seems like some get pretty defensive when they hear others tip in some situations, that they would not.   I don't think any of the "extra" tippers are suggesting that anyone should match them or even tip a penny extra if they don't want to.   It is interesting, however, how the ridicule comes out when some express their own practice of tipping...you know...to express gratitude.  You know a gratuity?

 

I'm interested to hear from others what their "worthiness" scale is?   Buffet staff - nope.  Bartenders - nope.  Butler - nope.  Not sure what warrants an additional tip in the minds of some, but clearly some have made their minds up that certain service workers are "unworthy" of a tip.  Must be nice to be so learned that you can discern who are worthy of a tip...based on their job, not their service.

 

Assuming your words are directed at me: I think you are confusing a thing or two; first I have never said or pointed out that some are unworthy nor that I feel anything in that kind of way.

 

We may have different points of view, one from a non-tipping culture/continent to a country where a tip is sometimes already given upfront. So any differences between us may originate there. :classic_smile:

 

To me a (extra on board) tip is a gesture of appreciation, together with a smile or a (pre Covid :classic_wacko:) pat on the shoulder, "thank you for doing such a good job/great service/your effort to arrange a table/extra seat etc". All above the DSC, without a DSC system I indeed would consider tipping some cooking my food yes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

thank you, gettothesun. my personal opinion is that these people deserve a tip, so i tip. if someone doesnt feel its necessary to tip (since daily gratuities are factored in) then let them not tip.

i think we've discussed the tipping issue to death.

 

44 minutes ago, GettotheSun said:

 

Agreed, I'm tapping out.  

 

Yes, we all got lured into another tipping thread. :classic_ninja: 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GettotheSun said:

 

Not sure about cruise ships but at many all-inclusives ("land" resorts, LOL)...there is even a tip jar at the omelette station.  Not saying a lot of people do it, but it is there...and there is always some money in it, based on my experience.  Perhaps cruises are too "classy" to tip the plebes at the buffet?

 No one is calling the buffet staff "plebes". Some of us have never been to an all inclusive, and did not know tipping at an omelette station was a thing. I have wondered about tipping the crepe maker though. 

 

In the past, on cruises, most tipping was done at the end. They would give out envelopes on the second to last day of the trip for you to give out on the last night. This was when you had the same wait staff in the main dining room all week. They suggested amounts for the dining room staff and room steward. Bartenders were tipped when you signed your drink slip. This was before beverage packages were a thing. Auto gratuities replaced the envelopes.  

 

There was no envelope for the buffet staff... That said, everyone can appreciate a little extra cash, and we do tip "extra", but we also feel that it is a personal choice to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve just taken the family out to probably the most prestigious French restaurant in our town; they seated us in the wrong place, immediately asked about drinks, we said give us a minute, the food was over cooked, my daughter told them.

The bill for five was £285.00 what tip would you give them?

We didn’t pay there percentage we set a challenge, a bundle of £5 notes and every five minutes we removed one they lost £15…

we had no reduction for new food cooked whilst ever body eat there’s…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

 

A bit sensitive? I guess the tongue in cheek got lost in translation. :classic_blush: You are free to do whatever you like, please by all means. :classic_happy:

im not at all sensitive, just your snide little comment about lawyers making a lot of money was completely out of line, even in jest. likewise, you are also free to do whatever you like, so if you dont want to tip DONT please by all means

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is out of control. You can't say one thing or another about what you think. 

 

Everyone is allowed and opinion, and if I choose to tip the porter I will! I mean it's my money! Why should anyone else care how you spend your money?

 

This is is my last comment. I'm done trying to have a debate about who to tip, who doesn't,  if you use cash or sign a paper. Everyone just do you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I’ve just taken the family out to probably the most prestigious French restaurant in our town; they seated us in the wrong place, immediately asked about drinks, we said give us a minute, the food was over cooked, my daughter told them.

The bill for five was £285.00 what tip would you give them?

We didn’t pay there percentage we set a challenge, a bundle of £5 notes and every five minutes we removed one they lost £15…

we had no reduction for new food cooked whilst ever body eat there’s…

just remember, sometimes the problems are completely out of the control of the server. wrong seating, overcooked food. im sure your server had nothing to do with these problems. as for drinks, i believe most servers will ask immediately to get you started.  sorry you had a crummy experience,but if it wasnt your servers fault he shouldnt have been screwed out of his tip. 

 

if he was incompetent at his job, the manager should have been notified.

 

moral to be learned: prestigious is not always synonymous with "GOOD,"just expensive. that's why i stay away from le bistro on all ncl ships, theyre to full of themselves

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

This thread is out of control. You can't say one thing or another about what you think. 

 

Everyone is allowed and opinion, and if I choose to tip the porter I will! I mean it's my money! Why should anyone else care how you spend your money?

 

This is is my last comment. I'm done trying to have a debate about who to tip, who doesn't,  if you use cash or sign a paper. Everyone just do you! 

very well said!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, complawyer said:

just remember, sometimes the problems are completely out of the control of the server. wrong seating, overcooked food. im sure your server had nothing to do with these problems. as for drinks, i believe most servers will ask immediately to get you started.  sorry you had a crummy experience,but if it wasnt your servers fault he shouldnt have been screwed out of his tip. 

 

if he was incompetent at his job, the manager should have been notified.

 

moral to be learned: prestigious is not always synonymous with "GOOD,"just expensive. that's why i stay away from le bistro on all ncl ships, theyre to full of themselves

Sorry get off your high horse, we are talking about cash

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

boy. just when i thought we were getting along smashingly. you completely either misunderstood or misinterpreted my post. just trying to say, sometimes its not the waiters fault the diners have a bad experience.

 

by the way my "high horse" is a small pony only 2 feet off the ground. its easy to get off.just put my feet down on the ground.  and i assumed you were talking about cash. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

 

Only if you get your picture taken with him you'll have the opportunity! Captains are not in the DSC pool so be generous.. for each port of call we tip, especially if he docks the ship on time and when we like his announcements. We take our time to hand the tip at the picture moment and also hand him a gift, a souvenir fridge magnet from the port with the best weather, we never see anybody else tipping him so hence his amazement!

 

:classic_wink:

I’m curious. Do you tip your Doctor ?  Your accountant?  Tip whomever you’d like of course, but the Captain of a Ship is a well paid, salaried professional….maybe it’s me, but that seems unusual.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...