New bookings Miami R/T - Visa needed?

Apologies if the answer is buried in one of the other threads, but if I, a US citizen, book the Serenity Bahamas cruise Miami R/T (embark/disembark Miami then go home), and I am fully vaccinated, do I need the Bahamas Visa?

Not that I wish "difficulties" on anyone, but we jumped through multiple hoops to do the blasted visa as we're some of the "stupids" that booked the whole Bahama thing. Guess we'll be out 80$+ for trying to be on the "vaccinated" ship......Yeah, I suppose we could re do the whole magilla by changing air, changing transfers,  pre flight hotels, etc. but since we have about a week before blast off, I would not be comfortable with trying to change up the itinerary..........another sigh. Crystal, at this point, you're not making me very happy........

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Not that I wish "difficulties" on anyone, but we jumped through multiple hoops to do the blasted visa as we're some of the "stupids" that booked the whole Bahama thing. Guess we'll be out 80$+ for trying to be on the "vaccinated" ship......Yeah, I suppose we could re do the whole magilla by changing air, changing transfers,  pre flight hotels, etc. but since we have about a week before blast off, I would not be comfortable with trying to change up the itinerary..........another sigh. Crystal, at this point, you're not making me very happy........

I wouldn't assume that the health visa doesn't apply to Miami-embarking passengers until Crystal provides clarification.  The updated protocols on the site still reference the Bahamian entry requirements, and calls out that Bahamian regulations require unvaccinated Miami passengers to have a PCR test.  Theoretically the government may accept the vaccination status on a digital manifest and only require the health visa from the unvaccinated passengers, but lacking any clear instructions yet they could also just require everyone to file a health visa and just reconcile the manifest that way.  

IMHO, we don't have enough info to draw a conclusion yet.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1

I assume that vaccinated passengers disembarking in Miami will still need a rapid test to re-enter the US.  But if you don't pay for it in The Bahamas VISA process, then what do you do?  Lots of unanswered questions at this point.  We are trying to move our trip to start and end in Miami but time is running short as we are within our 30 day window and I'd sure like some answers quickly.

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I wouldn't assume that the health visa doesn't apply to Miami-embarking passengers until Crystal provides clarification.  The updated protocols on the site still reference the Bahamian entry requirements, and calls out that Bahamian regulations require unvaccinated Miami passengers to have a PCR test.  Theoretically the government may accept the vaccination status on a digital manifest and only require the health visa from the unvaccinated passengers, but lacking any clear instructions yet they could also just require everyone to file a health visa and just reconcile the manifest that way.  

IMHO, we don't have enough info to draw a conclusion yet.

Vince

My TA spoke to Crystal this morning and was told that ALL passengers, regardless of vax status or point of embarkation, are required to obtain the health visa.

A cynic would note that the visa is a revenue stream for the Bahamas government so I am not surprised by this.

21 minutes ago, smlnd said:

I assume that vaccinated passengers disembarking in Miami will still need a rapid test to re-enter the US.  But if you don't pay for it in The Bahamas VISA process, then what do you do?  Lots of unanswered questions at this point.  We are trying to move our trip to start and end in Miami but time is running short as we are within our 30 day window and I'd sure like some answers quickly.

I don't think there is currently a requirement for testing on passengers arriving by sea into the US, but that could of course change at any moment.

Vince

29 minutes ago, smlnd said:

I assume that vaccinated passengers disembarking in Miami will still need a rapid test to re-enter the US.  

People on the Celebrity board report no test required to re-enter the US on cruises round trip from Miami. At the moment, that is......

• Like 2

I checked with a good source at Crystal Cruises who said transit guess (eg,., starting and ending in Miami) will still need the Bahama Travel Health Visa.  She noted this will be included in the vacation guide which you receive a few weeks before the sailing.  By the way when I read through the Bahama Travel Web Site although not always easy to understand what they are saying that was my takeaway too.

As to the COVID-19 test I remember PauMCO (I hope I have the CC name right) said for those returning from Bimini they won't need the test   As Brian note that is for the moment.  If you do need the test it will also be noted in the vacation guide and very easy to get the Test Voucher on the Bahama Site.

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I checked with a good source at Crystal Cruises who said transit guess (eg,., starting and ending in Miami) will still need the Bahama Travel Health Visa.  She noted this will be included in the vacation guide which you receive a few weeks before the sailing.  By the way when I read through the Bahama Travel Web Site although not always easy to understand what they are saying that was my takeaway too.

As to the COVID-19 test I remember PauMCO (I hope I have the CC name right) said for those returning from Bimini they won't need the test   As Brian note that is for the moment.  If you do need the test it will also be noted in the vacation guide and very easy to get the Test Voucher on the Bahama Site.

Keith

The CDC rules only CURRENTLY applies to air travel.  It is in the CDC FAQ for air travel testing.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

40 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Unless they really zip that "vacation guide" out, asap, it's 10 days before we pull into Miami....two weeks isn't going to help them much.

FWIW, the current version already does have some Miami info in it now, I expect it will probably just expand as more details become worked out and more questions get asked (the way Nassau did).

https://online.fliphtml5.com/gwsfl/fvni/#p=1

Vince

53 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Unless they really zip that "vacation guide" out, asap, it's 10 days before we pull into Miami....two weeks isn't going to help them much.

I would go ahead and apply for the Visa.  The person who confirmed this with me would know as the person coordinates whether or not visas are needed and what can and cannot be obtained by the ship.   Now please don't shoot me if the information turns out wrong but if it was me I would do it and the person I am dealing with has always steered me correctly.

Wait on the test voucher which you could always do on the ship. It sounds like you won't need it.

Keith

• Like 1

On a side note regarding Covid testing to re-enter the US without flying in…two weeks ago I drove from Canada to the US (border crossing in NY state). I read the Customs and Border patrol website that explicitly stated I needed a Covid test (PCR).  I ran around trying to get one before my trip.  I had to pay $200 CD for a travel test (argh).  Anyway, I get to the border and hand my passport and test results to the agent.  He says “what’s this?” I said it’s my negative covid test. He said I don’t need that.  WHAT???  Lesson learned, the left hand doesn’t always know what the right hand is doing.  No matter how much homework one does, it isn’t always foolproof.  Hopefully Crystal will sort this out a.s.a.p. for those on the August 7 cruise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Why would a Bahama health visa be required if you plan to embark and debarked from Miami and do not plan to leave the ship?

The ship still has to clear immigration upon arrival, and that’s more efficient to do as an all-clear.  If they had to process every passenger individually as they went ashore every time, it would be a mess.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

1 hour ago, Jimmycruiser said:

Why would a Bahama health visa be required if you plan to embark and debarked from Miami and do not plan to leave the ship?

It likely is because of all the ports being visited.

I did a mock one and they should an option for the visa when leaving Miami and visiting the Bahamas.

Keith

51 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

The ship still has to clear immigration upon arrival, and that’s more efficient to do as an all-clear.  If they had to process every passenger individually as they went ashore every time, it would be a mess.

Vince

Makes sense. Thanks.