Jump to content

Just checked in... what is the Guest Smile & Go Technology?


Recommended Posts

We wanted to get our preferred check in time, stayed up til midnight EST to check in.  In a hurry, accepted everything.  Got our time, boarding pass, luggage, etc.

 

In the process we agreed to Guest Smile and Go... what is that?  1984?  Please explain in laymans terms.  We are good with anything..just get me on a ship!  But what is it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the facial recognition program they are using onboard. They take your picture when you get on the ship, and then when you get off the ship in port, you just need to look at the camera so they know who is getting off, and back on in the ports. Also, it allows you to see all your photos they had taken all over the ship on iPads in Pixels. You don't have to look over hundreds of printed photos anymore.

 

They agree to delete the facial scan after the cruise is over, and not to use it for any other purposes. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the patent for the technology I read it also records your weight. This will be useful incase someone has the same facial artifacts as you. They will use the facial recognition throughout the ship and nag the unvaccinated who are not properly wearing their mask. The weight will also be checked at the Lido, and may

light up screens saying "No Buffet for you Porkchop." In the MDR the waiter will be advised to pull a face when people who should not have dessert try to order.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before you call Carnival with a yackiety-yack, I'm just kidding.

  • Like 9
  • Haha 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moviela said:

From the patent for the technology I read it also records your weight. This will be useful incase someone has the same facial artifacts as you. They will use the facial recognition throughout the ship and nag the unvaccinated who are not properly wearing their mask. The weight will also be checked at the Lido, and may

light up screens saying "No Buffet for you Porkchop." In the MDR the waiter will be advised to pull a face when people who should not have dessert try to order.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before you call Carnival with a yackiety-yack, I'm just kidding.

Guess I'll be eating in MDR....where the waiter will suggest a lovely celery stick with fat free cream cheese for Madam's dessert 😁😆😝

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Agree or don't agree, they're doing it anyway

They've been doing it for years, nothing new to see here move along folks lol

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, basketballdad said:

We wanted to get our preferred check in time, stayed up til midnight EST to check in.  In a hurry, accepted everything.  Got our time, boarding pass, luggage, etc.

 

In the process we agreed to Guest Smile and Go... what is that?  1984?  Please explain in laymans terms.  We are good with anything..just get me on a ship!  But what is it?

Are you on 8-14 too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Moviela said:

From the patent for the technology I read it also records your weight. This will be useful incase someone has the same facial artifacts as you. They will use the facial recognition throughout the ship and nag the unvaccinated who are not properly wearing their mask. The weight will also be checked at the Lido, and may

light up screens saying "No Buffet for you Porkchop." In the MDR the waiter will be advised to pull a face when people who should not have dessert try to order.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before you call Carnival with a yackiety-yack, I'm just kidding.

As long as it does not have a blood alcohol monitor I think I am good.....

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

They've been doing it for years, nothing new to see here move along folks lol

Haven't been doing it for years on the Carnival ships I have been sailing on.  We were on a sailing in 2019 when they were attempting to use it and it wouldn't work. They kept holding up boarding because the dang thing wouldn't do what it was supposed to, so they just went back to the old way.  

 

Other than that one failed attempt (and dang it if I can remember the ship), all my other sailings right up to January last year we have had to do the sail and sign to get on and off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Homeland security uses this technology for global entry now.  We went to Provinciales in T&C three weeks ago and flew back to jfk.  The process was easier (than Global Entry used be) and amounted to centering my head into bracket on screen.  30 seconds and done.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You can opt out

Sure, for you to use it in Pixels and so on

 

They still have a digital file of your face on hand, they can use that for security and internal needs.

 

Casinos do it already to kick players who've been 69'd

 

Don't need permission for security purposes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Sure, for you to use it in Pixels and so on

 

They still have a digital file of your face on hand, they can use that for security and internal needs.

 

Casinos do it already to kick players who've been 69'd

 

Don't need permission for security purposes

 

True. The casino has used for some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

 

 

Casinos do it already to kick players who've been 69'd

 

 

 

Actually 69'd is pretty nice, its 86'd I don't care for. 

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Moviela said:

From the patent for the technology I read it also records your weight. This will be useful incase someone has the same facial artifacts as you. They will use the facial recognition throughout the ship and nag the unvaccinated who are not properly wearing their mask. The weight will also be checked at the Lido, and may

light up screens saying "No Buffet for you Porkchop." In the MDR the waiter will be advised to pull a face when people who should not have dessert try to order.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before you call Carnival with a yackiety-yack, I'm just kidding.

What about no soup for you also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, basketballdad said:

We wanted to get our preferred check in time, stayed up til midnight EST to check in.  In a hurry, accepted everything.  Got our time, boarding pass, luggage, etc.

 

 

 

Can you check in midnight EST in all time zones (9pm PDT) or midnight each timezone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...