Jump to content

Mardi Gras Rooms and CPAPs


Recommended Posts

Asked on the John Heald FB page since there are so many videos showing the little light and USB beside the bed.   Jacinta replied that you need a longer extension cord or the cabin steward can assist you with one.    We'll be onboard in two weeks, if I remember, I'll update the thread.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am concerned about where to place the machine. Not sure if it will fit on the small shelf thing by the bed. Would I need to use the ottoman as a table to place it on? I will bring a long cord just in case there is no outlet by the bed. I have not seen any in John’s videos of standard cabins. There may be one underneath the bed, but not likely. 
 

I know a lot of cruisers use Cpap and other devices by the bed (not to mention cell phones). USB is a great feature, but I think a regular outlet would have been a better choice. Especially since USB C is becoming the new standard.

 

Other than that, really liking the colors and fit and finish of this ship.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at John Healds videos leaves me wondering also why there’s no outlet and table next to the bed. I would venture a guess that in this day and age at least 10% or more of the older passengers use a C-Pap

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It might be a slight inconvenience, but i'm not too concerned.   You are correct about the ottoman.  That might be the best choice.  Flip the top over for the table at night, then place the cpap inside the ottomon and flip the top back to a bench during the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your tube is long enough you can set your machine on the floor beside you.  You can find longer tubes easily enough. Extension cords are better way to go to plug in vs USB ports, IMO.  Not sure if CPAP power is adaptable to USB ports anyway.  

 

Lots of fretting and worryworting over relatively minor inconveniences that can be easily remedied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

If your tube is long enough you can set your machine on the floor beside you.  You can find longer tubes easily enough. Extension cords are better way to go to plug in vs USB ports, IMO.  Not sure if CPAP power is adaptable to USB ports anyway.  

 

Lots of fretting and worryworting over relatively minor inconveniences that can be easily remedied.

 

No, you cannot use the USB port and an adapter for a cpap.    You are correct on it can easily be remedied, but a little planning makes it practically not an inconvenience.  

 

I'm going to roll the dice and get a cable from the cabin steward, one less thing to pack!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RedBeard78 said:

 

No, you cannot use the USB port and an adapter for a cpap.    You are correct on it can easily be remedied, but a little planning makes it practically not an inconvenience.  

 

I'm going to roll the dice and get a cable from the cabin steward, one less thing to pack!

They'll give you distilled water too!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a 15 ft cheap extension cord from Lowes that I keep in my CPAP bag. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Source-15-ft-16-2-2-Prong-Indoor-SPT-2-Light-Duty-General-Extension-Cord/3135033 Hopefully the bottom of the silver shelf will accommodate the unit.  I think the ottoman is too wide to fit next to the bed and too tall to partially go under the bed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

If your tube is long enough you can set your machine on the floor beside you.  You can find longer tubes easily enough. Extension cords are better way to go to plug in vs USB ports, IMO.  Not sure if CPAP power is adaptable to USB ports anyway.  

 

Lots of fretting and worryworting over relatively minor inconveniences that can be easily remedied.

Yes, I am sure folks will be happy about putting their CPAP machines on the floor...quite the remedy! 

 

I don't understand the need to poo poo people's legitimate concerns. This is a brand new ship. In 2021 there should be counter space by the bed and a power outlet. We should not need to run extension cords across the cabin. Carnival is well aware and has the data on guests that use bedside machines. How many extension cords are stored on the ship for just this purpose? I think we are just disappointed they chose not to address this age old problem. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Don Kehote said:

Would it not work on the floor?

Sure it would. Just be sure to pack your extended hose and extension cord. Make sure it is not surge protected, though. Pray there on no floods or sewerage back ups to ruin a roughly $1,000 machine. (Happens more often than you would think)

 

I will make the small silver shelf or ottoman work. Everyone is happy to be getting back out on the open water, but come on! Placing your CPAP on the carpet is a ridiculous suggestion. Please don't pretend like it is not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, back-at-it said:

What about something like this ... My wife uses one now so it would be our first time cruising with it.  

 

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Folding-Camping-Adjustable-Portable/dp/B0746JD78Y/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=small+folding+table+for+cpap&qid=1627673834&sr=8-11

 

That would work assuming you can pack it flat in your suitcase. which seems to be doable.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, back-at-it said:

What about something like this ... My wife uses one now so it would be our first time cruising with it.  

 

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Folding-Camping-Adjustable-Portable/dp/B0746JD78Y/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=small+folding+table+for+cpap&qid=1627673834&sr=8-11

 

Thanks for the suggestion. That is a great idea! I am going to try to make it work without buying a solution, but will keep it in mind for future cruises.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They really should just have a regular outlet by the bed-even for USB devices-(phones, tablets, etc) USB is  slow charge compared to outlet

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, POACruzer said:

Sure it would. Just be sure to pack your extended hose and extension cord. Make sure it is not surge protected, though. Pray there on no floods or sewerage back ups to ruin a roughly $1,000 machine. (Happens more often than you would think)

 

I will make the small silver shelf or ottoman work. Everyone is happy to be getting back out on the open water, but come on! Placing your CPAP on the carpet is a ridiculous suggestion. Please don't pretend like it is not.

Maybe you have one that has air intake from beneath it?  I've spent the better part of a year with mine on a carpeted floor before with no ill effect to either myself or my device.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don Kehote said:

Would it not work on the floor?

You obviously don’t use a C-Pap so it’s understandable your thinking that putting it on the floor is good solution.

Unfortunately air is sucked in through the vents and most of us would be kinda grossed out thinking what is getting sucked out of the carpet and into the machine.

There is also the tube issue. I sleep on my side. Both sides. And if I’m facing away from the machine the tube goes across my face/head. If the tube flows downward instead of laterally to a table somewhat equal to the height of the bed it would be extremely uncomfortable.

Mardi Gras appears to be a fantastic, beautiful ship with very well thought out touches throughout. But they dropped the ball on this!!

 

 

On 7/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, vacruisin said:

That must be it.  A standard CPAP does not require any type of oxygen; just distilled water.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

Maybe you have one that has air intake from beneath it?  I've spent the better part of a year with mine on a carpeted floor before with no ill effect to either myself or my device.

The floor of your own home is different from a cabin/hotel room carpet. I do not doubt that no ill health effects would occur. The same could be said for food that falls on the floor in public places. I still won't pick it up and eat it. I am pretty sure most people would agree...

 

The air intake is on the side of the machine, but you already knew that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, amcankid said:

You obviously don’t use a C-Pap so it’s understandable your thinking that putting it on the floor is good solution.

I do use a CPAP nightly, and have for around 15 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same thought when I saw the videos. The little shelves are pretty small and don’t look ideal to hold anything other than a cell phone or small alarm clock. I guess I like the ottoman idea the best.. I guess we could pull that over next to the bed? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

I had the same thought when I saw the videos. The little shelves are pretty small and don’t look ideal to hold anything other than a cell phone or small alarm clock. I guess I like the ottoman idea the best.. I guess we could pull that over next to the bed? 

Of course you can! It's your room for the duration of the cruise! Rearrange any way you like. I would. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would flip the ottoman cushion over to the table side and wipe it down real good with Clorox wipes. We should be able to get it close enough to the head of the bed to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a few actual double beds on the Serenity deck so now the problem is determining how long of an extension cord is needed to sleep out there all night.
 

There is no snoring allowed on the Serenity Deck. 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I saw another video (other than the one John Heald did) of the cabin I will be in (Havana Cabana Suite)-the table next to the bed looks very similar to ones I've had recently in some hotels-

 

small, but able to fit my CPAP

 

I just needed to rotate the machine-instead of tube pointing towards me and the bed, out towards the room-(portrait not landscape, if that makes sense)

Edited by ngrund
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...