Walk off the ship / get a tour / taxi

We hope to be on a Med. cruise in Sept. In the past, we have always planned our shore excursions before departure but on this trip we have no plans made at this point. I am looking for experiences from folks that have just walked off the ship and "gone with it" - both good and bad. Does not have to be in the Med. We are visiting Zadar, Hvar and then onto various Greek islands, ending in Athens. Thanks for any feedback / adventures!

Thumbs up from me on just "going with it". It really helps to have someone in your party who's good at negotiating/bargaining and someone who has a good idea of what to see. Have done it numerous times in the Med and Caribbean/Latin America. Especially for smaller places like Sicily or Kotor, it's a perfectly viable option to explore the surroundings. Most taxi/tour van drivers are very accommodating. However, for long multi-stop trips like in Naples or Livorno, a chartered tour is still preferable.  

We have certainly walked off the ship and either explored on our own or hired a local guide who offered services.

It can work well if you are not determined to see certain things.

There are some ports where I will pre-book either because the bes guides are worthy of having or the distance of where I am visiting.

Walking off can give you some really unique experiences and sometimes a bit of a disappointment so you need to be flexible.

Posted (edited)

Until very recently that is how we operated except in remote locations like the Amazon.  It is hard to advise you in the current climate.  Things are changing daily.  I just heard on the radio that Italy will be requiring a covid card or vaccine passport to enter tourist attractions beginning August 1.  Personally if I were sailing this year I would give careful consideration to HAL's excursions.   Tour operators may have gone out of business and with the worldwide shortage of cars and rental cars, taxis may be limited.  There were people on the Florida board discussing high cost Uber rides recently.

If you are a walker/hiker it might be easy to say "go for it"

Edited by Mary229