My Views On The Revised Crystal Serenity Bahama Itineraries Which Now Include Miami

Keith1010

Since Crystal announced the addition of Miami as an embarkation option for Bahama sailings, many people have reached out to me for my thoughts on this change.  After careful reflection, I’ve decided to share my thoughts but do so on a separate thread 

The major reason I didn’t post earlier is something I learned from the late Ken Rees.  As a foreign correspondent covering major world-wide events, he said one of the items he benefited from was back in the day when news was not instantaneous.  In other words, he could cover something and take 24 hours till he filed his report.  This allowed Ken to reflect on what he had witnessed and sometimes by not rushing to judgement, his views changed from his initial conclusions.  

So let me share my thoughts.

For those of you who are mad, feel betrayed and/or feel lied to or are just disappointed I completely understand your feelings.  Some of you want to cancel or have cancelled and I get that too.  You booked the voyage thinking everyone would be vaccinated and that could change if unvaccinated people book.  I get it.

Since the change was announced I have thought a lot about it.  I have also read the protocols for non-vaccinated guests multiple times.  The protocols are stringent and onerous with lots of requirements.  Those unvaccinated will be identified by the colored bracelet they wear.

Those not vaccinated must wear a mask inside the ship from the time they leave their room, except while eating/drinking.   They must take a PCR test a few days before the cruise, take the Antigen test the day of embarkation along with everyone else, and my understanding will go through daily testing.  Dining options will be limited to Waterside, Silk and I believe the Bistro.  In Waterside space is confined to one area and they cannot dine with others not in their party.   They cannot go to certain lounges.  They must social distance and cannot use the spa, salon or fitness center.  They might not be able to leave the ship in various ports.  Elevator protocols too.

Yes, I do realize this has to be enforced.

As a result, I ask myself do I know of anyone who would go through all of this to take a cruise?  I don’t think so.  While I realize the crew is wearing masks, having worn masks during our two Bahama cruises just for the time we were in the public area was challenging, and we didn’t watch lectures in person nor go to the shows.  I think it will be very uncomfortable for most people.  A few times it really got to me physically.   Once again, I ask myself who do I know would do this?  Would anyone?  I believe these protocols like the ones by RCI are intentionally designed to make the cruise unattractive for those not vaccinated. 

Then I think to myself maybe they will be safer than those who are vaccinated.  I believe sailing with those who are vaccinated poses risks.  The risks go beyond this including time spent at the airport, the flight, pre and post cruise hotels, transfers and visiting ports.   A couple of people had COVID-19 on the third sailing.   People I know are getting COVID-19 at home and they are vaccinated.  In Nassau you don’t have to be vaccinated to visit and that includes staying at the hotel and eating in the restaurants.  This means risk.

For better or worse I do look at things from a business perspective. This is imbedded in my blood and persona from my career.  In short, Crystal had no revenue since all their vessels were shut-down while incurring tremendous startup costs.  Once you get past the first set of Bahama sailings, occupancy levels decline. With higher costs, sailings running at low occupancy and relatively low cruise fares they likely are losing money.  You can’t sustain this model for very long.

As I see it, the challenge with Nassau is some people don’t’ want to fly or go through getting the travel visa, and are finding the hotel costs and airfares to be extremely high.  I booked the air and hotels for our Bahama Cruises on the first day sales opened along with the cruises.  A month later I went back, and the prices went up significantly for airfare and hotel.  I suspect this resulted from more people going to the Bahamas and returning home over the weekend.  In addition to Crystal, RCI introduced seven-day cruises starting and ending the same day as Crystal. Saturday is the busiest day at the Nassau airport and for those of you who have already taken your Bahamas cruise you have seen first-hand what a zoo the airport is.

By adding in Miami as an embarkation/disembarkation option it will attract many guests including those who don’t want to drive and live in Florida or nearby states.  There are more flight options and significantly lower fares for those wishing to fly and a greater number of non-stop flights.   More hotel options exist and at lower prices.

A win-win would have been to add Florida and require vaccines but as of now the last court ruling was the State of Florida can override the CDC and not allow the cruise lines to require only vaccinated guests to cruise.  

As I said I believe very few unvaccinated people will book the cruise due to the protocols.  And Crystal can capacity control this.  I do realize that one unvaccinated person is too much for some.  I am just reminded that while things like mask mandates were in place they worked well and believe all these protocols will be effective including all the testing.  

In the end each person needs to decide for themselves whether to sail or not.   Like most things this is a personal decision.

Final thoughts:

Covid-19 has turned our lives upside down in more ways than we could have imagined, and it is not over yet. We thought we were in a far better place just a few weeks ago and that changed with the spread of the variant.  The next weeks and months will be telling.

At the same time COVID-19 shut down the cruise industry and it is amazing that most of the cruise lines survived.  I believe to operate they may have to do some unpopular things and change course in very short order.  Some of this will not set well with the guests.  However, stay the course and the consequences could be dire.    

In closing, I will tell you from personal experience getting ready to travel and doing all that is required can be very stressful in the days of COVID-19 separate from whether everyone is vaccinated.  Things change all the time, and I am not talking only about Crystal.  Initially, Bahama required a PCR test only to change it if you were vaccinated.  However, their website to obtain the Travel Visa was confusing and when issued depending on the length of your trip could be equally confusing.

For Iceland only a week or so ago they changed their entry requirements so now you must take a COVID-19 test no more than three days prior to check in for your flight.  In addition to finding a place some of them do not test or do not provide results over the weekend so depending on when you are flying you might have had an issue.  For example, we had to adjust flights and incur additional expense not to mention changes to our pre-cruise hotel stay and other related changes such as private transfers.

On top of this you worry if you will test negative on the day of embarkation and for those returning to the USA and Canada you worry what happens if you fail your test at the end of the cruise.  

And with the variant, you now worry more in the airport where the odds say almost half the people won’t be vaccinated and some don’t wear masks and some play games by holding a cup with a straw for a long time without a mask.  You go on the airplane and the person near you who is not vaccinated is wearing eating or wearing the mask incorrectly.  And let’s not pick on unvaccinated people.  Some are vaccinated and they could have COVID-19 and know it or not know it.  

I say this with the utmost respect if you plan to travel, and it is a month or more out, be prepared for possible changes including last minute ones.  Unfortunately, COVID-19 is not behind us and doesn’t give up easily.  We continue to encounter new challenges, twists and turns, and bumps along the road.  Navigating through this and planning a trip can be very stressful.  

Some will agree with my thoughts, while others including some of my friends will disagree.  However, this is how I feel.  We all come at this with different views some of which can be based on our own personal situation including present health or that of a significant other and age.

This is not about me defending or not defending Crystal Cruises.  This is me sharing my personal views.  This is me taking the advice of Ken Rees who taught me many things including not always reacting to events the second they unfold. 

Please remember even if your cruise is considered 100% fully vaccinated this does not prevent you from getting COVID-19 for reasons I mentioned earlier (people who are vaccinated can bring it on board from the get go or in port.  My recommendation is not to be complacent. While there were social distancing stickers all around the ship and the Captain spoke about Social Distancing I saw people do things I would never do.  This included going into packed elevators.  For those who need the elevator I would wait for the next one.  Personally, I would wear a mask in the elevators or in areas you cannot social distance.  I am not saying this protects you 100% but it helps.  I cannot stress enough that to me you have just as great a chance of getting COVID-19 on a cruise which is 100% vaccinated than on one where a few people are not.  If the last week or two has taught us anything it is to not be complacent and  to remember the vaccine does not have 100% effecay.  

In these challenging times whatever you do please stay safe, well, and healthy.

Keith

• Like 7

• Keith1010 changed the title to My Views On The Revised Crystal Serenity Bahama Itineraries Which Now Include Miami

I appreciate your long and well-thought out response to this whole debacle. You have many good and valid points. For me, I'm not angry because I'm afraid of being exposed to Covid- I've already spent most of the summer traveling around Europe. I am angry because this is a bait-and-switch. I am angry because Crystal reneged on a promise that we were going to be offered a certain environment that is now not being offered. I have canceled my cruise in September not because of health concerns, but because I don't want to support a company that has such little regard for its clientele. I also think it's insane that Crystal won't refund me or even offer a partial credit. They've offered us credits for missed ports in the past, but won't offer one cent for this, which is much more impactful. They can keep my money, because after cruising with Crystal for 30 plus years, I won't be spending another cent with them. They are teetering on the edge financially now, and I can't say I'll be sad if they go over the edge. This is one of the most disappointing decisions I have seen a company make in a long time. Would other cruise lines act with such contempt for their loyal guests ? Maybe so. But until I get this treatment from another company, I'll continue to support them with my wallet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That was an excellent and well thought out response. Thank you, Keith! You hit the nail on the head with all of the stressful variables that comes with traveling at this time. I think what bothered me most about this whole thing was the suddeness of the change. I don't have the exact date of "the" email that told about the addition of Miami, but it couldn't have been more than 2 weeks ago, if that. It gave us all very little time to cancel (?), reschedule(?), or just suck it up. I honestly think Crystal treated us shamefully. We booked with the confidence that it would be a vaccinated ship. Until it was not.

That being said, I mentioned on another thread that the on board experience so often has nothing much to do with corperate and administrative actions, other than maybe carrying out specific policies.

I have no doubt that the food, service, ambience, etc will all be top notch. That's the Crystal way. Whether we sail with them again will remain to be seen. We're still a little shaken by this late in game change up. A little more advance notice and we might've felt differently.

So.....we're going....come hell or high water (giggle...) we'll be off for the Aug. 7th adventure!

• Like 3

Non vaxxed friends of mine (the only non vaxxef friends I have) are now looking to book RT Miami.  Huge Crystal fans and they were envious when i relayed how fabulous the cruise was,  They don't care about the limitations they just want to be on Crystal and enjoy the food and their Penthouse/balcony.

@Keith1010. I presume since all your posts stressed being careful and you travel with double masks and face shields that you would not book a cruise that allows unvaccinated guests and would cancel had you been on one of these sailings that do not comply with what we were originally told.

Are you currently a guest on Crystal Endeavor?

Having liked Keith's post I'm going to go a bit off topic and thank him for reminding us of what a blessing all the years Ken Rees had with Crystal was.  RIP Ken.

Roy

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Having liked Keith's post I'm going to go a bit off topic and thank him for reminding us of what a blessing all the years Ken Rees had with Crystal was.  RIP Ken.

Roy

aw....well done, Roy!

Funny that someone who says he's all business in his persona doesn't mention what we think is major reason for Miami stop:  getting food and other supplies will be much cheaper than in Nassau.

Crystal wants to save money and is redoing its schedules.

We have been thinking of booking one of these cruises.  We know Covid is disruptive.  But Crystal's changes and unpredictability and putting its interests (saving money, unvaccinated guests including kids, etc.) ahead of customers is not ok.

The constant apologizing for Crystal doesn't sit well with us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Westwoodfolk said:

Funny that someone who says he's all business in his persona doesn't mention what we think is major reason for Miami stop:  getting food and other supplies will be much cheaper than in Nassau.

We have been thinking of booking one of these cruises.  We know Covid is disruptive.  But Crystal's changes and unpredictability and putting its interests (saving money, unvaccinated guests including kids, etc.) ahead of customers is not ok.

I don’t plan to respond to most posts real time.I will follow what Ken Rees taught me.

However, I will make an exception.

Please tell me who has apologized because to the best of my knowledge no one has apologized?

I could have written another chapter with a business emphasis  but what I wrote was long  enough.  What I would say is the logistics of provisioning  is much easier in Miami than Nassau.  There were some items which did not make it to the ship in Nassau which in would have made it to Miami. To me that is a plus.  If cheaper-all the better.   A benefit is lobster which would have been served if sailing out of Miami but not in July in Nassau.  And it would have been more expensive but Crystal would have served it.

Keith

• Like 2

Well said Keith. We don’t like the change but are staying with our Aug 21st cruise. We might have changed to Miami but couldn’t get any flights from Canada that worked with the cruise dates so will stay with our plans and stay as safe as possible. I’m sure there are many reasons for the changes as Crystal would have to be crazy to make a change that they had to know would enrage their loyal customers if there was another option

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Westwoodfolk said:

Price is one point, there is a price differential with Nassau vs. Miami, but it's not huge since it's such a short hop with frequent lift.  The bigger issue is reliability.  We're having enough supply chain issues getting specific brands/products/flavors/formulations from food service distributors on the mainland right now -- that increases exponentially offshore...  And Crystal's guests are pretty specific about their food.  It helps meet expectations a lot if they can just degree with one degree of the problem and not 10 degrees right now. 

...And if it does save money in the process, then that's gravy.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think the notice was blunt. Oh, and by the way we are adding Miami and picking up the unvaxxed. Really. Included in the email should have been how restrictive it will be for those people to sail.  We could have sailed from Fort Lauderdale , but chose Crystal because of the vaccine requirement. Also, we were offered no options for a totally different package. Why not just offer an FCC if you don’t want to go. How about offering an incentive to go on the initial sailing. How about offering to change to the Bermuda cruise.We are still going, but not happy. Will be less social than we normally would be and constantly looking out for red wrist bands, and will be reporting those whose don’t wear their band. Will spend more time in our cabin and wont get off the ship. Will also wear a mask at all times. 

Edited by wesport
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

In our case, going on the July 3 Serenity sailing was only because it was a fully vaccinated cruise - and super happy we did it.  We were blissfully ignorant in believing that fully vaccinated equaled mostly unable to get or spread COVID (if it happened it would be rare).  Loved every minute of the cruise.  The great onboard experience (mostly) made up for the incredibly poor pre-cruise communications. 

Since then what has changed is the growing concern that fully vaccinated people can be infected and could become “spreaders”.  This issue exists everywhere.  It now impacts any travel decisions we would take.  If we’re correctly seeing this as “new facts on the ground”, it is not surprising that Crystal would also revise it’s plans with new information.  Not sure if we’ll do another cruise or not right now, but would likely view fully vaccinated versus almost-all-vaccinated as not as big of a difference as before.  Unlike before where we were happy to be on the first sailing, we’re going to wait and see what data comes from the early sailings under the new policy.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 3

Hi, 

Keith, thanks for your well-reasoned message.

One of the primary reasons that I booked my cruise on the Crystal Serenity departing from Nassau on September 18 was because there was a requirement that all passengers be vaccinated. Earlier this month, I sailed on a cruise on the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten and the cruise line retained its requirement that all passengers be vaccinated. My cruise had only 410 passengers (on a ship that can accommodate over 2,000 passengers), but this is a larger line that can better afford to operate cruises at a loss (at least for the short term). 

I don't like Crystal's sudden decision to allow unvaccinated passengers to sail on these cruises, but I understand the reasoning. Other cruise lines are following a similar approach to cruises departing from Florida. I decided to keep my booking and plan to enjoy the cruise. I am fully vaccinated and careful around other people. However, I live in a high-rise building in downtown Chicago and undoubtedly risk catching the virus on a daily basis. Because I live on a high floor, I need to ride an elevator several times a day.

My recent cruise on the Celebrity Summit was outstanding and I intend to have an equally wonderful time on the Crystal Serenity.

Chuck

• Like 1

I don't disagree with what Keith posted.  He was clever to avoid what we all know are the real reasons some of us are very concerning about this decision.  But I still think, very strongly, that this decision to sail out of Miami was made by Crystal purely from a short-term business perspective, with no respect for the consequences of this decision from a public health perspective.

Also with such an onerous requirement, it will further incentivize more unvaccinated people to lie about their vaccination status to board Crystal Serenity, since, after all, there is no way for Crystal to verify this, and as far as I know, there is no legal penalty for boarding a cruise ship with a fabricated vaccination certificate, especially in Florida.

I understand that Crystal, and many other travel-related companies, are truly struggling to survive right now.  But that fact alone does not make this particular decision any less irresponsible.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Also with such an onerous requirement, it will further incentivize more unvaccinated people to lie about their vaccination status to board Crystal Serenity, since, after all, there is no way for Crystal to verify this, and as far as I know, there is no legal penalty for boarding a cruise ship with a fabricated vaccination certificate, especially in Florida.

If people are going to go through all the trouble of forging CDC cards (no argument that some have), then what does that have to do with these cruises?  Wouldn't they have the exact same motivation to do that for Symphony's itineraries (for example), or Serenity's previous itineraries, as they would to avoid the restrictions?  I think on that point people are gonna do what they're gonna do, unfortunately.  😡 

Vince

• Like 1

We'll consider one of the last three sailings from Miami.   We'll decide two or three weeks before departure.   The Bahamas departure was never tempting.    I'd like to see the company succeed, but doubt they are in a better place today than a year ago.   The first two departures this month might have been the Golden Age for Crystal 2021.  Who knows?   

Cheaper to provision out of Miami.   That might have been 24th on the list of reasons make this change.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

If people are going to go through all the trouble of forging CDC cards (no argument that some have), then what does that have to do with these cruises?  Wouldn't they have the exact same motivation to do that for Symphony's itineraries (for example), or Serenity's previous itineraries, as they would to avoid the restrictions?  I think on that point people are gonna do what they're gonna do, unfortunately.  😡 

Vince

I think that the negative consequences of using a fabricated vaccination certificates is much less dire now that one can board the ship in Miami, in stark contrast to Bahamas, in many different ways.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I think that the negative consequences of using a fabricated vaccination certificates is much less dire now that one can board the ship in Miami, in stark contrast to Bahamas, in many different ways.

True, if they had a reason they needed to be on Serenity.  Otherwise they could have always just boarded in Boston or NYC the same way.  Point taken though.

Vince

4 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

True, if they had a reason they needed to be on Serenity.  Otherwise they could have always just boarded in Boston or NYC the same way.  Point taken though.

Vince

That's correct.  My point is that by boarding in Miami, Crystal is incentivizing *more* people to board Crystal Serenity to board with a fabricated vaccination certificates with almost no legal consequences.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rxlowry said:

So if your cruise had unvaccinated passengers, you’d still go on it or would you cancel?  I think that’s the question. 

i think the non answer is your answer and will most likely not be answered.  

Edited by cruisr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am fortunate enough to have booked for October so haven't made my final payment. I did read all the hoops that unvaccinated people would have to go through which would make you wonder who would agree to that. 

After thinking about that, I remembered something Keith said about getting on the first cruise.  He said how wonderful the staff were to see everyone and how happy all the passengers were to be there.  I remember feeling sad that I couldn't be there to see that joy.

That's when I decided to cancel.  Just listening to some of the comments, I believe the atmosphere will be different and tense. Maybe no unvaccinated people will be on but we would be spending a lot of energy being worried that someone  among was unvaccinated. Also, how many will want to interact with people they have just met in this situation..  Not conducive to a feeling of joy.

I understand and sympathize with Crystal needing to stay in business, but given the short notice, I do believe Crystal had an ethical and moral duty to offer FCC or an alternative  cruise at a later date for those who had already made final payment.

I am disappointed because I was really looking forward to trying Crystal and maybe I will someday. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TxnAquarian said:

I appreciate your long and well-thought out response to this whole debacle. You have many good and valid points. For me, I'm not angry because I'm afraid of being exposed to Covid- I've already spent most of the summer traveling around Europe. I am angry because this is a bait-and-switch. I am angry because Crystal reneged on a promise that we were going to be offered a certain environment that is now not being offered. I have canceled my cruise in September not because of health concerns, but because I don't want to support a company that has such little regard for its clientele. I also think it's insane that Crystal won't refund me or even offer a partial credit.

I understand why Crystal has angered and disappointed you and many others.  I’m sorry you believe that adding the Miami port is a “bait and switch” tactic. That terminology implies deliberate fraud and deception. 

Instead, I think management is too hastily, and irresponsibly, taking advantage of fresh money-making opportunities, without identifying and considering all of the ramifications involved.  If this managerial style continues much longer, Crystal bookings will resemble a bet on a roulette wheel in a Genting casino (i.e., win some, lose some).  Such unfettered, quick changes should not be allowed under their Ticket Contact. 

Poor handling of refunds had already damaged their reputation, and the Bahamas startup has done more damage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Please tell me who has apologized because to the best of my knowledge no one has apologized?

Apologies can be more than just saying <sorry>.  It can also be explaining.  

From our dictionary:

something that is said or written to defend something that other people criticize DEFENSE

The book is an apology for capitalism.

This from your long message seems an awful lot like an apology:

In short, Crystal had no revenue since all their vessels were shut-down while incurring tremendous startup costs.  Once you get past the first set of Bahama sailings, occupancy levels decline. With higher costs, sailings running at low occupancy and relatively low cruise fares they likely are losing money.  You can’t sustain this model for very long.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Psoque said:

I don't disagree with what Keith posted.  He was clever to avoid what we all know are the real reasons some of us are very concerning about this decision.  But I still think, very strongly, that this decision to sail out of Miami was made by Crystal purely from a short-term business perspective, with no respect for the consequences of this decision from a public health perspective.

I understand that Crystal, and many other travel-related companies, are truly struggling to survive right now.  But that fact alone does not make this particular decision any less irresponsible.

I agree.  The current itineraries were not being booked due to the costs associated with pax having to follow Bahamian rules for testing -- and for extra nights to coordinate flights in and out of Nassau.  AMany airlines fly non-stop to Miami from numerous locations - minimizing the risk associated with airports and changing planes.  No need to arrive in Miami a day early to catch a connection to Nassau and no worry about getting to FLL or Miami via a short ride to return home after the cruise.