Jump to content

NCL check in photo


Recommended Posts

We just did ours, too. My wife took a close-up picture of me with one of our plain walls as a background, and I had to take 57 pictures of her until she thought it was perfect. 😜

  • Like 6
  • Haha 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used the photo from my passport.

 

Scanned it

Used Paint to Crop

Down loaded to my computer (So it is there for future cruises too)

Added to the required document 

Changed the size to fit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Other than at check-in and if I lose my card, will anybody ever even look at my picture?  Do they do some sampling or automated facial recognition when you re-board at a port?

IIRC it pulls up at the bar when you're getting drinks as well (at least if you have the drinks package) to ensure that you're not giving your card to somebody who doesn't.

I don't know how often they actually look though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

IIRC it pulls up at the bar when you're getting drinks as well (at least if you have the drinks package) to ensure that you're not giving your card to somebody who doesn't.

I don't know how often they actually look though.

Thanks.  It sounds like I should retake my selfie after I've had a few drinks to maximize my chances of a "match."  🤣

 

@MorganClark@HuliHuli@CptBoatface?  Anybody?  Is this thing on??

  • Like 5
  • Haha 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kathy0329 said:

How is photo done online for check in completion?

 

I'm not quite sure what we're talking about. Are we talking about the photo that security uses to ID when you are getting off and getting back on the ship? As I recall, the security on the ship takes a photo of you during your initial embarkation and that photo is linked to your Sign & Sail card (or whatever NCL call theirs). Every time you want to get off or get back on the ship, you have to present your Sign & Sail card which security scans and it brings up your photo, which security does look at to make sure the photo matches the person in front of them trying to get off or back on the ship.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

 

I'm not quite sure what we're talking about. Are we talking about the photo that security uses to ID when you are getting off and getting back on the ship? As I recall, the security on the ship takes a photo of you during your initial embarkation and that photo is linked to your Sign & Sail card (or whatever NCL call theirs). Every time you want to get off or get back on the ship, you have to present your Sign & Sail card which security scans and it brings up your photo, which security does look at to make sure the photo matches the person in front of them trying to get off or back on the ship.

 

This ^ ..... they are pretty serious about it too. They always make me take off my sunglasses and have DH remove both his ball cap and sunglasses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  It sounds like I should retake my selfie after I've had a few drinks to maximize my chances of a "match."  🤣

 

@MorganClark@HuliHuli@CptBoatface?  Anybody?  Is this thing on??

 

Yeah, you have one for "tipsy", one for slightly drunk, one for drunk, one for sh*tfaced, one for totally sh*tfaced and one for passed out on the deck.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

This ^ ..... they are pretty serious about it too. They always make me take off my sunglasses and have DH remove both his ball cap and sunglasses.

 

And also, when you're going ashore in a port that requires you to wear a mask (i.e. Cozumel, Mexico), security will have you lower your mask when they're comparing you with your photo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

 

I'm not quite sure what we're talking about. Are we talking about the photo that security uses to ID when you are getting off and getting back on the ship? As I recall, the security on the ship takes a photo of you during your initial embarkation and that photo is linked to your Sign & Sail card (or whatever NCL call theirs). Every time you want to get off or get back on the ship, you have to present your Sign & Sail card which security scans and it brings up your photo, which security does look at to make sure the photo matches the person in front of them trying to get off or back on the ship.

Remember, we are doing the minimal contact, extra-speedy check-in these days. Instead of being photographed at the port, you upload a face photo onto the NCL app as part of the online check-in.

 

FYI, I completed the online check-in for my October cruise and it automatically displayed the photo I used for the August cruise. Guess I'd better not dye my hair blue in September.

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

 

I'm not quite sure what we're talking about. Are we talking about the photo that security uses to ID when you are getting off and getting back on the ship? As I recall, the security on the ship takes a photo of you during your initial embarkation and that photo is linked to your Sign & Sail card (or whatever NCL call theirs). Every time you want to get off or get back on the ship, you have to present your Sign & Sail card which security scans and it brings up your photo, which security does look at to make sure the photo matches the person in front of them trying to get off or back on the ship.

It's an NCL thing.  Blame Covid (like everything else these days).  I take a crappy selfie and upload it at NCL.com.  When I check in, they see if I uploaded a photo and the agent decides if they like it or not.  If not, then they just take one there (same as always).  Otherwise, they just use the one I gave them.

 

I will probably retake and update for both myself and DW.  I don't want to risk being rerouted to that "special" long line for Covid safe picture taking in the far corner of the building.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, coastcat said:

Remember, we are doing the minimal contact, extra-speedy check-in these days. Instead of being photographed at the port, you upload a face photo onto the NCL app as part of the online check-in.

 

FYI, I completed the online check-in for my October cruise and it automatically displayed the photo I used for the August cruise. Guess I'd better not dye my hair blue in September.

 

 

 

I don't remember uploading a photo of myself to the Royal app. in advance. The first photo was done by the security team on the ship when I first embarked. Or, my photo may have been taken when I checked in at the Colonial Hilton in Nassau. To be honest, I can't remember. @HBCcruiser, do you remember? I guess each cruise line may do it a little different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's an NCL thing.  Blame Covid (like everything else these days).  I take a crappy selfie and upload it at NCL.com.  When I check in, they see if I uploaded a photo and the agent decides if they like it or not.  If not, then they just take one there (same as always).  Otherwise, they just use the one I gave them.

 

I will probably retake and update for both myself and DW.  I don't want to risk being rerouted to that "special" long line for Covid safe picture taking in the far corner of the building.

 

I got "rerouted" by RCI when they rejected my negative pre-cruise pcr test because it was done more than 5 days prior to sailing date (when in fact, RCI's own written policy said "5 days before arriving in the Bahamas"). Turned out to be no biggie, they just gave me a rapid antigen test and I had my negative result via e-mail within 15 minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

 

I don't remember uploading a photo of myself to the Royal app. in advance. The first photo was done by the security team on the ship when I first embarked. Or, my photo may have been taken when I checked in at the Colonial Hilton in Nassau. To be honest, I can't remember. @HBCcruiser, do you remember? I guess each cruise line may do it a little different.

 

Yes, we did upload a photo similar to a passport photo. They used ours so no additional photo was needed when we checked in. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HBCcruiser said:

 

Yes, we did upload a photo similar to a passport photo. They used ours so no additional photo was needed when we checked in. 

 

 

Hmmm, I don't remember that option. I must've already started my cruise drinking.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

 

Hmmm, I don't remember that option. I must've already started my cruise drinking.

 

I think all of the big cruise lines will be doing this. Princess as well - although their app is a total MESS. They need lessons from Royal. 🙄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MorganClark said:

 

I don't remember uploading a photo of myself to the Royal app. in advance. The first photo was done by the security team on the ship when I first embarked. Or, my photo may have been taken when I checked in at the Colonial Hilton in Nassau. To be honest, I can't remember. @HBCcruiser, do you remember? I guess each cruise line may do it a little different.

 

The best time to take that photo is when you're at home, well rested and relaxed. Taking it at port after you've dragged your suitcase hither and yon over bumpy paths and up/down the shuttle steps, then waited for an hour in an endless line behind a group of people who don't understand the concept of "inside voice"... at that point, any photo they take will be of your "man, I really need a drink" face.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

 

I think all of the big cruise lines will be doing this. Princess as well - although their app is a total MESS. They need lessons from Royal. 🙄

 

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH. So true. I actually had no problem with the Medallion app for check-in... *after* waiting about a month for them to fix whatever was causing the app to display my upcoming cruise as a cancelled Coral sailing rather than the shiny new Majestic one.

 

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to trying out the Ocean Medallion tech. Wearing a little disc on a wristband seems less clunky than a keycard on a lanyard. I tried carrying my keycard in a pocket, but do you know how shallow pockets tend to be in women's clothes? Lost the blasted thing within an hour...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...