Emergency Notification for 8/29 Sailing

Sea Hag

I got an email from Princess this morning. Some of what it said is below, and the part about selecting an arrival time is probably the most interesting. If you haven't selected one, this is what you'll get. I can only say that this applies to the 8/29 sailing, so others may have received something else for other sailings.

IMPORTANT NOTICES

CRUISE CHECK-IN AND EMBARKATION INFORMATION

It's almost time for your cruise holiday! Please make sure you have:

- Downloaded the MedallionClass app to complete required check-in items.

- Completed online cruise check-in and the mandatory Health Questionnaire

(MUST be completed by each guest at least 24 hours before your cruise).

- Bring your proof of vaccination

- Selected an arrival time to the pier on the MedallionClass app. For the

health and safety of all, do not arrive prior to your assigned check-in time or you will be asked to return at the correct time. If you have not selected an arrival time please arrive at the below time:

12:30 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E

1:00 PM - Aloha and Caribe Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & C

2:15 PM - Marina and Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with M & R

3:00 PM - Baja and Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.  I assume that Elite and Platinum guests were allowed to choose preferred boarding times in the app.  I hate to think about having a 3pm boarding time, but not the end of the world.

9 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Thanks for sharing.  I assume that Elite and Platinum guests were allowed to choose preferred boarding times in the app.  I hate to think about having a 3pm boarding time, but not the end of the world.

I can't say for sure how Princess handled this, but I think arrival times were available for Elite and Platinum before others. All I know is that we were able to get 11:30 to 11:45 as our arrival time, which makes me a very happy camper. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yeah, we're not waiting until 2:15 to board either

You've already selected your arrival time, haven't you?

14 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

You've already selected your arrival time, haven't you?

for late November, 2021 ? - uh, no - 110+ days - 40 days to final due

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, voljeep said:

for late November, 2021 ? - uh, no - 110+ days - 40 days to final due

In that case, I'll just give you this. I was able to select our arrival time BEFORE final payment. You may be able to do so as well. Or not. Who can say what Princess will be doing by then.

Edited by Sea Hag
change post
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Apparently the people on my cruise (August 22) were able to select arrival times beginning June 23--60 days before the cruise. I did not book until this week. All of Group A slots were full (11:30-11:45). There appeared to be Group B slots available on my app, but I couldn't get it to work. It kept giving me an error message. I called Princess. Initially, the rep told me the earliest group available was 1:00. I told her that was not acceptable. She found a way to get me into the noon group. 

One thing that I found upsetting about the experience is that I really don't have much control over when I get to the port. I'm taking a flight purchased through Princess and taking the Princess transfer to the pier. I can't imagine making passengers who did this wait outside the terminal for several hours just because they couldn't get the app to work like it should. 

The other thing I find upsetting is that Platinum and Elite passengers are supposed to have priority boarding. In the past, we just showed up at the terminal when we felt like it and got to wait in the separate lounge area for Elites if they had not started boarding yet. Usually we liked to time it so that we would get there just a few minutes before boarding started so we did not have a long wait.

Edited by geoherb
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I can't say for sure how Princess handled this, but I think arrival times were available for Elite and Platinum before others. All I know is that we were able to get 11:30 to 11:45 as our arrival time, which makes me a very happy camper. 

So very happy to hear that someone was a "very happy camper".  But it is erroneous to believe that being Elite, Suite, or Platinum will get you an arrival time before others.  There is no such thing as priority boarding.  There is no such thing as getting advance notice that the arrival window will open before the general public.  This is a very simple good will gesture that Princess could offer, but chooses not to.  There is nothing in writing as to when availability will open.  And OCEAN Navigator can see what we see on our broken app.  I mentioned the error message and was told "she" also was unable to get in to book me a time.  Princess needs to fix this....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So very happy to hear that someone was a "very happy camper".  But it is erroneous to believe that being Elite, Suite, or Platinum will get you an arrival time before others.  There is no such thing as priority boarding.  There is no such thing as getting advance notice that the arrival window will open before the general public.  This is a very simple good will gesture that Princess could offer, but chooses not to.  There is nothing in writing as to when availability will open.  And OCEAN Navigator can see what we see on our broken app.  I mentioned the error message and was told "she" also was unable to get in to book me a time.  Princess needs to fix this....

I don't think it's erroneous at all to believe Elite, Suite, or Platinum folks were able to get arrival times before others. I'm basing this on my own experience and on what others said about when they were able to choose a time. FYI, I never said I got advance notice, and, in fact, I did not. I was checking every day and found arrival times open on one of those checks. I do agree that I've seen nothing in writing about when availability will open. But I have seen in writing that they're saying priority boarding will be given within arrival groups. No idea how or if they're going to do that, but they did say it. Sorry to hear that you're having such a horrible time with the app. It's a real shame that Princess didn't get this more stable before requiring its use.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

Apparently the people on my cruise (August 22) were able to select arrival times beginning June 23--60 days before the cruise. I did not book until this week. All of Group A slots were full (11:30-11:45). There appeared to be Group B slots available on my app, but I couldn't get it to work. It kept giving me an error message. I called Princess. Initially, the rep told me the earliest group available was 1:00. I told that was not acceptable. She found a way to get me into the noon group. 

One thing that I found upsetting about the experience is that I really don't have much control over when I get to the port. I'm taking a flight purchased through Princess and taking the Princess transfer to the pier. I can't imagine making passengers who did this wait outside the terminal for several hours just because they couldn't get the app to work like it should. 

The other thing I find upsetting is that Platinum and Elite passengers are supposed to have priority boarding. In the past, we just showed up at the terminal when we felt like it and got to wait in the separate lounge area for Elites if they had not started boarding yet. Usually we liked to time it so that we would get there just a few minutes before boarding started so we did not have a long wait.

This must be really frustrating, and I'm sorry it's panning out this way for you. We used to show up at any time that worked for us too, and it's going to be a big change for us and a lot of others. It seems to me like there ought to be some sort of exception made for cases like yours, where you booked late and have EZ Air and Princess transfer. If you think of it, please come back here and tell us how it all worked out for you.

Princess says that priority boarding will still be given within boarding groups, but I have no idea what that's going to look like or if it will even happen. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

I can see that these are probably important notifications.

However, as usual, Princess doesn't understand the meaning of the word Emergency.

No emergency in these notifications.

I hope the deck department has a clearer understanding of what is an emergency...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

here is no such thing as getting advance notice that the arrival window will open before the general public.  This is a very simple good will gesture that Princess could offer, but chooses not to. 

I agree that Princess needs to fix this. Royal gave suite and Diamond passengers the ability to check in up to one hour prior to the regular boarding time (this was on the Adventure of the Seas out of Nassau 7/17/21). We had a 12:00 check in time but were able to board at 11:30. 

tg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There is no such thing as priority boarding.  

Priority Boarding Captain's Circle benefit starts with Platinum level.  I couldn't copy where it is in writing as it is in a PDF and I cannot copy and paste from a PDF, but if you click on this link, you can see the priority boarding listed at Platinum.

rewarding your loyalty - Membership benefits of Princess® Captain’s Circle

I hope this helps.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I can see that these are probably important notifications.

However, as usual, Princess doesn't understand the meaning of the word Emergency.

No emergency in these notifications.

I hope the deck department has a clearer understanding of what is an emergency...

Oh, I agree! I saw that "emergency" part and starting thinking the worst. Maybe people ignore it if it only says "important?" That's all I can think about that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Priority Boarding Captain's Circle benefit starts with Platinum level.  I couldn't copy where it is in writing as it is in a PDF and I cannot copy and paste from a PDF, but if you click on this link, you can see the priority boarding listed at Platinum.

rewarding your loyalty - Membership benefits of Princess® Captain’s Circle

I hope this helps.

From all of my conversations with Princess, "Priority Boarding" as a Platinum, Elite, Suite perk is a moot point.  If and when you can get into the Medallion App....If and when you are able to pick a boarding group, then, maybe, you will be able to board ahead of others in said group (this is not in writing).  

It would have been so much easier if Princess sent out a memo (not an "emergency notice") that the window for picking a boarding group will open in x days.  Or that Elite, Platinum, and/or suites, will be able to get Group A boarding before any one else.  Not hard to do.  And think of all the good feelings "loyal" passengers would have toward Princess.  There is inconsistency in who gets to see the boarding groups.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

From all of my conversations with Princess, "Priority Boarding" as a Platinum, Elite, Suite perk is a moot point.  If and when you can get into the Medallion App....If and when you are able to pick a boarding group, then, maybe, you will be able to board ahead of others in said group (this is not in writing).  

It would have been so much easier if Princess sent out a memo (not an "emergency notice") that the window for picking a boarding group will open in x days.  Or that Elite, Platinum, and/or suites, will be able to get Group A boarding before any one else.  Not hard to do.  And think of all the good feelings "loyal" passengers would have toward Princess.  There is inconsistency in who gets to see the boarding groups.  

I just wanted to point out that it is in writing.  What I found interesting several weeks ago was their change of language.  The perk used to be called "Priority Check-in" but now it states "Priority Boarding."

It may be that you get to go to the front of the line in your assigned boarding time group.  Who knows, certainly we don't and it seems like Princess is trying to re-learn the whole boarding process.  I don't plan to sail on Princess until they get the kinks worked out.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To continue having Priority Boarding as a real Elite/Platinum benefit they need to give first choice for Arrival Groups based on Captain’s Circle level because the new version of priority within group isn’t really helpful.

To continue this benefit they need to allow elites & then platinum passengers to get first choice. Now it’s based on who sees it’s available first so a first time Princess passenger could board first & elite passengers such as myself last. But Princess doesn’t understand, or chooses to ignore that the new system isn’t priority boarding for their most loyal passengers. I’ve expressed my unhappiness in writing & discussed it when they called about my concerns. Forwarding our opinions to higher Princess levels has apparently fallen upon deaf ears because nothing has changed.

I can better understand their reduction in benefits that cost them money than for a change that costs them nothing by giving Priority Boarding based on Captain’s Circle level & not upon luck to know when Arrival Groups are available to reserve.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

To continue having Priority Boarding as a real Elite/Platinum benefit they need to give first choice based on Captain’s Circle level because the new version of priority within group isn’t very useful.

To continue this benefit they need to allow elites & then platinum passengers to get first choice. Now it’s based on who sees it’s available first so a first time Princess passenger could board first & elite passengers such as myself last. But Princess doesn’t understand, or chooses to ignore that the new system isn’t priority boarding for their most loyal passengers. I’ve expressed my unhappiness in writing & discussed it when they called about my concerns. Forwarding our opinions to higher Princess levels has apparently fallen upon deaf ears because nothing has changed.

I can better understand their reduction in benefits that cost them money but not for a change that costs them nothing to give Priority Boarding based on Captain’s Circle level & not upon luck to know Arrival Groups are available to reserve.

Agreed.  They should open up boarding times for Platinum and Elites so they can be picked at the time of booking, not later in a wonky app.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Agreed.  They should open up boarding times for Platinum and Elites so they can be picked at the time of booking, not later in a wonky app.  

They should notify Platinum and Elite passengers when they open up arrival selection. I never got a notification on that, and I would have if they were notifying. I only got the arrival time I wanted because I was checking daily, and I can tell you I was happily surprised when it could do it.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Absolutely! 

During their SVP of Sales most recent webinar over 6 weeks ago he expressed that priority boarding wasn’t necessary because everyone can select an arrival group. To me that’s an example of how upper levels at Princess are ill informed about the desires of their most loyal passengers.

Many of us who want to begin our cruise ASAP and to not be one of the last to board with their new, and definitely not improved boarding procedure.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I got an email from Princess this morning. Some of what it said is below, and the part about selecting an arrival time is probably the most interesting. If you haven't selected one, this is what you'll get. I can only say that this applies to the 8/29 sailing, so others may have received something else for other sailings.

12:30 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E

1:00 PM - Aloha and Caribe Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & C

2:15 PM - Marina and Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with M & R

3:00 PM - Baja and Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

I guess I get to pick my own time since I'm on deck 6 on my Sept cruise YIPPIE!!!!! Now I won't have to call in 60 days before my cruise to the Ocean ready as instructed. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

6 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I guess I get to pick my own time since I'm on deck 6 on my Sept cruise YIPPIE!!!!! Now I won't have to call in 60 days before my cruise to the Ocean ready as instructed. 

I'm all about you getting to pick your own time, but what ship are you on? I realize now that I didn't specify that the ship is the Majestic, which doesn't have passenger cabins on deck 6. I suppose you're on a different ship and will be getting an "emergency" email like I got that will provide info for your sailing. Unless you actually do get to pick your own time! 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm all about you getting to pick your own time, but what ship are you on? I realize now that I didn't specify that the ship is the Majestic, which doesn't have passenger cabins on deck 6. I suppose you're on a different ship and will be getting an "emergency" email like I got that will provide info for your sailing. Unless you actually do get to pick your own time! 😂

I'm on the Grand and have a window suite. I wonder if each notice is customized or the same notice will go out regardless of ship. I was told by the Ocean ready person with whom I registered via phone  (without a smart phone) told me full suites will have priority boarding. But we know know the Princess reps aren't always accurate. 

3 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm on the Grand and have a window suite. I wonder if each notice is customized or the same notice will go out regardless of ship. I was told by the Ocean ready person with whom I registered via phone  (without a smart phone) told me full suites will have priority boarding. But we know know the Princess reps aren't always accurate. 

Yes, we all do know that about Princess reps. I was told this in an email from customer relations:

• Priority boarding – Platinum and Elite guests will continue to enjoy the Platinum and Elite lounge and priority boarding within their arrival group  

That operative part of that being "within ...." Who knows how it'll actually pan out. Anyway, I hope you get your priority boarding and enjoy your window suite. I had one of those booked last March, and we all know what went with that.