Port taxes and fees too high

2 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Depends on the ports. If it's a Panama Canal cruise then they are high for example . 

yeah i was looking at NY and even Florida and they seem pretty much higher than before. 

I think they're high in general.  But when you invest tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars in ports and dredging and all the other stuff that goes with it, they have to recoup their money somehow. 

There were no cruises for so long.  With no income for so long, they want to re-coupe as much as possible by charging high tax/port-charges for the suckers that come, I mean the enthusiastic cruisers that come their way.

15 hours ago, seaman11 said:

While trying to rebook , I am seeing very high port charges and fees. compared to other lines .  😪 Anyone else notice this?

Yes.  I noticed the same thing.  When doing a comparison of Caribbean cruises from several lines, the port charges and fees were significantly higher on NCL.  In one case, NCL's fees were nearly double that of a competitor with almost identical ports. With this being the case,  I wondered why no one had started a thread on this issue.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, lexxfield said:

Yes.  I noticed the same thing.  When doing a comparison of Caribbean cruises from several lines, the port charges and fees were significantly higher on NCL.  In one case, NCL's fees were nearly double that of a competitor with almost identical ports. With this being the case,  I wondered why no one had started a thread on this issue.

Why would one line have higher port fees than the other?  Do ports charge cruise lines different amounts or is NCL just inflating their fees?

3 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Why would one line have higher port fees than the other?  Do ports charge cruise lines different amounts or is NCL just inflating their fees?

Just an un-educated guess, perhaps, IMHO but I will look again "if and when" we are ready and decided to book a cruise in the near future ... quite possibly NCL is burying other misc. & administrative fees, indirect costs & overheads fees into that category of surcharges, i.e. Covid-19 recovery fees for all that extra PPE measures onboard, etc.  Afterall, disposable & consumable supplies for generalized infection controls measures carry a cost ... and, it is being passed along to someone.  

Slightly off-topic, we've dine in restaurants lately that chose to impose a Covid-19 surcharge here in the NY area, as permitted ... not to mention, the suggested tipping scale has been bumped up and rounded up, for one's convenience, at 18%, 20% and 25% plus a custom write-up amount.  I am sure FDR's team doesn't need to read this to get more ideas on imposing it.   Or, just chalk it off as the inflationary trend in general ... be prepared for shocking high dining menu prices, not at your local Red Lobster chains ... rather, it's the Applebees and alike, LOL.  

I think you folks are imagining things.  Actual data (all the same NCL itinerary, room type and cost category):

May 2018: $235.26 pp

May 2020 (cancelled): $281.51 pp

May 2021 (cancelled):  $295.52 pp

October 2021: $293.80 pp

Once again, perhaps NCL isn't as awful as many (in this NCL forum) claim they are.

• Like 1

I just looked at our January cruise (we booked on 9/30) and priced it again.

Port fees, etc. when we booked (for 2) were $484.88 and now are $493.26.  I personally don't think under $10 is a signifiant price increase.

And I'm on the  Bliss Panama Canal sailing in February (we booked last May) and those fees are exactly the same, now as we paid in May ($951.92).

while i wont swear to this, in defense of ncl (something i rarely and am loathe to do),i dont think they have any control over port charges and/or fees. also, since fuel charges are rising, im sure they have to incorporate that into their overall charge. 

sometimes even ncl needs to be cut some slack. we're booked into a 2 bedroom haven (before i get yelled at) im not bragging,  i just needed the xtra space on the getaway this nov, the 2 bedroom haven on the epic next january, and a 2 bedroom suite on the star nov 2022. i dont know about anyone else, but i found these prices reasonable, especially since 2 are haven and the star has no haven complex. 

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Just an un-educated guess, perhaps, IMHO but I will look again "if and when" we are ready and decided to book a cruise in the near future ... quite possibly NCL is burying other misc. & administrative fees, indirect costs & overheads fees into that category of surcharges, i.e. Covid-19 recovery fees for all that extra PPE measures onboard, etc.  Afterall, disposable & consumable supplies for generalized infection controls measures carry a cost ... and, it is being passed along to someone.  

After a class action law suit about 20 years ago, cruise lines are very strictly limited as to what they can include in "port taxes and fees", and basically none of what you list above can legally be included.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

I think you folks are imagining things.  Actual data (all the same NCL itinerary, room type and cost category):

May 2018: $235.26 pp

May 2020 (cancelled): $281.51 pp

May 2021 (cancelled):  $295.52 pp

October 2021: $293.80 pp

Once again, perhaps NCL isn't as awful as many (in this NCL forum) claim they are.

Your lucky, my Alaska cruise which was booked and cancelled in 2020 has doubled for 2022.  In 2020 I applied for many price reductions and saved a lot of money from the existing booking and I'm hoping the same happens for the 2022 cruise but I'm not counting on it.

It doesn`t make sense for NCL to keep the port fees and taxesartificially high cause in case of cancellation these fees and taxes have to be refunded anyway(as they only occur if the passenger is on board) So if they keep them high then the refunds are also high as well.

5 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Your lucky, my Alaska cruise which was booked and cancelled in 2020 has doubled for 2022.  In 2020 I applied for many price reductions and saved a lot of money from the existing booking and I'm hoping the same happens for the 2022 cruise but I'm not counting on it.

Your port taxes and fees doubled?!

4 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Your port taxes and fees doubled?!

by the way, it's you're not your. using "your" indicates possession or ownership. what you've said indicates he owns the luck (unless that's what you meant) "you're" is a contraction for you are, which in this case (your post. note the indication of possession) is the grammatically correct spelling.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

by the way, it's you're not your. using "your" indicates possession or ownership. what you've said indicates he owns the luck (unless that's what you meant) "you're" is a contraction for you are, which in this case (your post. note the indication of possession) is the grammatically correct spelling.

You're absolutely wrong on this one.  Your post is perhaps the silliest one yet!  🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

You're absolutely wrong on this one.  Your post is perhaps the silliest one yet!  🤣

if you think i'm wrong, you must have dramatically failed freshman english.

i've also noticed "your" constant attacks on my posts. 

so i can only conclude the following: you are terrific at dishing it out, but really suck at taking it.

and yes, it was supposed to be silly, but grammar is grammar. i didnt make this up.

so good buddy, i can only suggest you lighten up a whole bunch

• Like 1
  • Haha 2