Jump to content

Negative COVID test Prior to Cruising


Recommended Posts

I'm seeing that some cruise lines are now requiring a negative cruise test for ALL passengers whether vaccinated or not prior to cruising. Anyone hear if HA will be instituting the same policy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven’t heard if there will be updates, and am aware of their stated policy that pre-cruise testing is not required for vaccinated guests.
This page does not mention testing: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html#FAQ
And this statement is quite clear: “Fully vaccinated guests will not require pre-cruise COVID-19 testing in order to embark the ship.” 
https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html

 

However, if you type FAQ in HAL’s website’s Search, this Q&A from a FAQs section is listed:
Q: How will you ensure guests don’t sail sick or bring sickness on board?
A: All guests and crew embarking a ship will undergo pre-travel testing for COVID-19 and enhanced pre-embarkation health screening in accordance with best practices such as health questionnaires and touch-free temperature checks as appropriate. Anyone exhibiting signs of illness will be referred for secondary medical screening and testing and may be denied boarding.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.health-safety.how-ensure-no-sail-sick.html

 

I don’t recall if that has been there for a while or not—perhaps this is an old FAQ page, as the first 2 links in this Post go to the newest protocols and are easily visible on the site—but it contradicts other sections. Searchable website pages should be updated to reflect the most current information to avoid confusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find it of limited value as anyone who is still incubating will probably be negative.  But the silliest test I see is taking one’s temperature.  

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I find it of limited value as anyone who is still incubating will probably be negative.  But the silliest test I see is taking one’s temperature.  

Agree it won’t catch them all, as it seems many of the cases were likely contracted en route. But I think with the cases aboard Royal Caribbean and Celebrity on their most recent sailings, they’re realizing finding those already contagious prior to boarding could prevent headaches later in the sailing. There’s so much to consider from all angles, I’m not sure what HAL will do. It’s been interesting to see the different approaches by various cruise lines. Viking passengers test daily, so if someone has repeatedly tested negative and suddenly tests positive (and they allow a 2nd test for confirmation), they have an idea of what they’re dealing with as far as timing. But I know many wouldn’t go for such an approach, cautious though it may be.

Edited by syesmar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I find it of limited value as anyone who is still incubating will probably be negative.  But the silliest test I see is taking one’s temperature.  

I agree.  One has to wonder if it is mainly for optics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I find it of limited value as anyone who is still incubating will probably be negative.  But the silliest test I see is taking one’s temperature.  

Especially if someone is experiencing a "personal summer" moment thanks to menopause!

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I agree.  One has to wonder if it is mainly for optics.

I agree, it's more for optics, much like what the TSA does at an airport.

 

Once, years and years ago, I walked in the summer to a Red Cross blood drive. They took my temperature, and it was too high. They sat me down for awhile and gave me some cold juice. And amazingly, I was cured and could donate blood.😃

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

IMHO.  If I were a betting person, there will be mandatory testing prior to cruising, and I see that Celebrity has just now made this mandatory.  In Juneau mask mandates have been implemented again, and I see that Sitka will do the same. https://www.kcaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Emer-Ord-2021-24-1.pdf

Edited by AKJonesy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A huge THANK YOU to Tfquig - I read earlier this morning about RCCL starting this for their sails and went into an immediate funk about another! hoop to make sure is done. Then was calculating when test should / could be done before TA flight. We actually embark in Venice but for now I will asume if CCL brands require this test, they will provide the testing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Especially if someone is experiencing a "personal summer" moment thanks to menopause!

 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Yikes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I would not be surprised in HAL did start to require negative tests, there is a difference.  Both Royal and Celebrity have allowed some unvaccinated on board (children for example).  They have had some cases occurring on board involving both vaccinated and unvaccinated.  With the potential (with Delta) for an asymptomatic infected, vaccinated individual being able to infect unvaccinated individuals on board. 

 

HAL on the other hand is requiring vaccination for everyone and is not allowing unvaccinated children on board.

 

So it could go either way.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's a logistical nightmare if everyone needs tests at the pier, take a look at the Celebrity boards right now.  2,000 people are waiting in the heat, all crowded together, for this test, they should have been on the ship by now.  And it's impossible to get test results on your own within the narrow window of 72 hours, or even the test itself if you sail on a Monday.

 

Knee jerk reactions to hysterical media coverage are not going to work, as a process needs to be studied, discussed, and tested before implementation.

 

Not to bring up Florida politics, but the writing was on the wall from the start on how this was going to turn out.

Edited by atexsix
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, nocl said:

While I would not be surprised in HAL did start to require negative tests, there is a difference.  Both Royal and Celebrity have allowed some unvaccinated on board (children for example).  They have had some cases occurring on board involving both vaccinated and unvaccinated.  With the potential (with Delta) for an asymptomatic infected, vaccinated individual being able to infect unvaccinated individuals on board. 

 

HAL on the other hand is requiring vaccination for everyone and is not allowing unvaccinated children on board.

 

So it could go either way.

I think the parallel is closer than you suggest.  I believe Royal and Celebrity were already requiring unvaccinated PAX to be tested so they changed policy only for the vaccinated PAX.  I think recent developments with the transmissibility of the Delta variant make pre-departure tests a lot more likely.  I'd rather be denied embarkation than be booted off mid cruise because I aquired the virus on the ship who already was a breakthrough case when they boarded.

 

Roy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was reading HAL's policies last night and they basically state they are in compliance with the destination you are sailing to/from.  If you are leaving from Seattle you must be vaccinated and no test is required.  Nothing has changed with the CDC as regards vaccinated sailings or sailings form Seattle

 

Celebrity and RCCL have chosen to go with unvaccinated guests.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think the parallel is closer than you suggest.  I believe Royal and Celebrity were already requiring unvaccinated PAX to be tested so they changed policy only for the vaccinated PAX.  I think recent developments with the transmissibility of the Delta variant make pre-departure tests a lot more likely.  I'd rather be denied embarkation than be booted off mid cruise because I aquired the virus on the ship who already was a breakthrough case when they boarded.

 

Roy

However, the big difference that occurred just prior to Royal and Celebrity changing their policy was the CDC's announcement that with Delta the viral load in an infected vaccinated person is much higher that with other variants and as a result they can infect others easily.  Prior to that point with other variants the view was that even in break through cases the vaccine reduced the viral load sufficiently to make infection spread from a vaccinated person unlikely.

 

As such Royal and Celebrity were testing unvaccinated before boarding because they were viewed as the only likely source to infect other unvaccinated patients.  Even breakthrough cases were unlikely due to reduced viral load.

 

After the announcement that all changed with Delta, that now breakthrough cases in vaccinated individuals are viewed as a potential source of spread to the unvaccinated on board.  Thus the need to test everyone if unvaccinated are allowed on board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tfquig said:

For Eurodam cruises out of Greece there will be covid testing for both embark and disembark.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2021/Greece-Cruise-Protocols-.pdf

Very interesting, and thank you for posting the link, @Tfquig!  I have added it on our roll call, even though we are sailing on Eurodam out of Venice, I imagine there will be some similar requirements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nocl said:

However, the big difference that occurred just prior to Royal and Celebrity changing their policy was the CDC's announcement that with Delta the viral load in an infected vaccinated person is much higher that with other variants and as a result they can infect others easily.  Prior to that point with other variants the view was that even in break through cases the vaccine reduced the viral load sufficiently to make infection spread from a vaccinated person unlikely.

 

As such Royal and Celebrity were testing unvaccinated before boarding because they were viewed as the only likely source to infect other unvaccinated patients.  Even breakthrough cases were unlikely due to reduced viral load.

 

After the announcement that all changed with Delta, that now breakthrough cases in vaccinated individuals are viewed as a potential source of spread to the unvaccinated on board.  Thus the need to test everyone if unvaccinated are allowed on board.

 

If, as HAL is apparently doing, not allowing any unvaccinated, the situation where one suddenly turns positive mid-cruise should not require that passenger to be disembarked because the any symptoms are apt to be much less serious.  However, if there are any unvaccinated aboard, the danger of catching and becoming seriously ill is a real problem.  Bottom line - only those vaccinated, passengers and staff, should be allowed on board.  Otherwise, why would one spend the $$$$ to cruise and take the chance that a break through happens and you get booted off.  Not I! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

HAL is very clear about this if you try to book a cruise for 2021, for example, here is the wording for Greece which is the same for all 2021 cruises 

 

Open for booking now, Holland America Line cruises from Greece are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2021 at 6:44 AM, silversneakers said:

I'm seeing that some cruise lines are now requiring a negative cruise test for ALL passengers whether vaccinated or not prior to cruising. Anyone hear if HA will be instituting the same policy?

SEE THIS VERY IMPORTANT UPDATE in Post 13:

 

Edited by syesmar
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2021 at 1:35 PM, nocl said:

While I would not be surprised in HAL did start to require negative tests, there is a difference.  Both Royal and Celebrity have allowed some unvaccinated on board (children for example).  They have had some cases occurring on board involving both vaccinated and unvaccinated.  With the potential (with Delta) for an asymptomatic infected, vaccinated individual being able to infect unvaccinated individuals on board. 

 

HAL on the other hand is requiring vaccination for everyone and is not allowing unvaccinated children on board.

 

So it could go either way.

I thought someone on the board said they had about 80 kids on the ship this week. I can't believe all were vaccinated.  Maybe someone can correct me if I misunderstood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...