Grateful for Cruise Critic

Honestly, I know, or have read, that by far, most cruisers are not on CC.  It mystifies me how they figure things out.  We have just booked a Signature Suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the canal transit in October.  We started with a suite on deck 5, only to find, thanks to CC and Halfacts.com that we had a veranda that was only 4.5 feet wide, which was not disclosed by the HAL rep when we booked.

Had I not done the due diligence on CC we would have boarded the ship and been SO disappointed.  So, many thanks to one and all whose posts helped us not make a mistake. We are now on deck 6 and are excited to be back on HAL after a long sojourn to the world of Celebrity.  

Joanie

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate reading such a kind post.  It's rewarding for those of us who try to provide information that is based on our experience and knowledge to be reminded that we are able to provide a service that is of value to some.  Thanks to the existence of Cruise Critic.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been using the cruise critic resources for 16 years, they'll always be my travel partner.

And I want them to stay around, some of the other websites have long since vanished thanks to social media. So I'm doing my best to help keep it going by providing insight and feedback from a personal perspective, but I leave the real complicated stuff for the 10,000 and up clubs.😁

• Like 6

1 hour ago, julia said:

I've been on CC over 20 years and am still amazed at what I learn before each of our cruises!  

11 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

These boards have been invaluable to me over the years.  So many wonderful folks who want to help and inform.  Don’t know how I could cruise without my backup squad!

I feel the same way!  I think without Cruise Critic I would just stay home.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

but I leave the real complicated stuff for the 10,000 and up clubs.😁

Those of us in such "clubs" have no exclusive knowledge.  We "know what we know" and most of us realize that there is so much more that we don't know.  There cannot be any among us, at whatever CC status of posting level, that does not continue to learn and to benefit from the experiences and knowledge of others.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Those of us in such "clubs" have no exclusive knowledge.  We "know what we know" and most of us realize that there is so much more that we don't know.  There cannot be any among us, at whatever CC status of posting level, that does not continue to learn and to benefit from the experiences and knowledge of others.  

I know, that came out wrong, I didn't mean to imply people new to cruise critic don't have good experiences and advice to offer.

6 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I know, that came out wrong, I didn't mean to imply people new to cruise critic don't have good experiences and advice to offer.

I didn't take your post in any negative sense.  We "oldsters" don't know it all by any means.  We ALL keep learning!  

Best wishes for an enjoyable cruise on a beautiful ship that holds good memories for me.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Honestly, I know, or have read, that by far, most cruisers are not on CC.  It mystifies me how they figure things out.  We have just booked a Signature Suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the canal transit in October.  We started with a suite on deck 5, only to find, thanks to CC and Halfacts.com that we had a veranda that was only 4.5 feet wide, which was not disclosed by the HAL rep when we booked.

Had I not done the due diligence on CC we would have boarded the ship and been SO disappointed.  So, many thanks to one and all whose posts helped us not make a mistake. We are now on deck 6 and are excited to be back on HAL after a long sojourn to the world of Celebrity.  

Joanie

See you on board!

Have you found our Roll Call?  Lots of information.

My best,

• Like 1

This is the first time I have looked at CC in a couple of years. Even were it not for COVID we would not be cruising as my husband is quite aged and not up to travelling.  
However, during our cruising years I found CC to be a wonderful source of information which made our trips run smoothly.  We also met a host of wonderful people on this site, some of whom we went on to cruise with many times. 
I truly miss cruising and I especially miss planning my cruises and all the CC discussions that went along with it. 

• Like 4

I have mentioned this before, but us old people tend to repeat our self...

We were about two weeks from boarding the Carnival Splendor in 2009 for a 49 day cruise from Miami to San Francisco around South America.  My DD suggested that I take a look at CC, especially the roll call for the cruise.  I looked at it and saw that a few people were discussing their Brazil visas.  It took me about a day to become a member and be able to post as every time I suggested a user name it was already in use.  Finally I got on and asked if I really needed the visa as my TA had said it wasn't necessary.  The reply was "You won't get on the ship if you don't have one".  I contacted my online TA and she said she got misinformation from Carnival and to express mail our passports to the Brazil Embassy in Miami and she would pick up the extra cost.  I did and got them back in time and when we boarded there were at least 100 passengers that had to stay in Miami overnight, get their visa the next day and fly to the next port to board the ship.  That was when I learned the value of Cruise Critic and have used it since then for another 30 or so cruises.

Edited by USN59-79
wrong year and ship
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

I will echo others on the wonderful support from CC members. Without them I would not have met the iconic Patrick in Bora Bora. I would not have taken a wonderful early evening stroll through old town Cartagena with Marelvy Peña-Hall. I wouldn’t have met a teacher and her students on Fanning Island and given them some school supplies.  I would have missed a lot of great opportunities. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 3

On CC I have learned that

-all passengers must leave the ship in all ports

-it's fine leaving your balcony door open all the time

-it's not fine leaving your balcony door open all the time

- Mr. X got $200 back for something that went wrong, so everybody should demand at least $200

-it's fun to flush dinner rolls and other items in your cabin toilet

I have also learned that while CC is a great source of information and conversation, it is not necessarily a source of absolute truth.  Apart from one person's Best Pizza being another person's Worst Pizza, we still need to pay attention to our chosen cruise line's fine print, that of any tour guides we book, and the ports we want to go to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have belonged to CC for 10 years and love the information shared!  (I don't post much but I do read and add occasionally!)  The information that folks have offered has come in handy many times, from suggestions of what to see, to where to stay, what to avoid.  I have a notebook of ideas from CC for future travels!  I have also suggested to my friends to check out CC for ideas on their travels.  I appreciate the kindness and sharing!  I do know that my "bucket list" has gotten much fuller after reading CC!

Denise

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 7:08 PM, rkacruiser said:

Those of us in such "clubs" have no exclusive knowledge.  We "know what we know" and most of us realize that there is so much more that we don't know.  

As a member of the club, I am constantly learning from others here on CC!

• Like 1

I was touched last year all the people trying to help an elderly couple get home during covid from 

Australia.  And a relative from Canada was seeking help and advice as well.

And Cooper helped and went to the airport to help.  There was and hour by hour play by play that was like a good drama and comedy.  A lot of us kept checking back in many times a day.

it was a love fest for this couple and at the beginning of the pandemic too.

Happy sailing all  My next HAL is on the new Rotterdam 7 to Norway next spring.  in the mean time I will do some RCI and X cruises.