Thank you Carnival for going the 95/5 route!

MrMarc

9 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Anyone cruising for at least the next six months should plan on being flexible and calm, because things are changing daily, or even hourly.  Just be prepared and don't let yourself get upset.

It's so easy to sy sitting in the ac in your living room. Standing in the sun for hours without social distancing,  someone posted their back was killing them, afraid it's a super spreader event.

You cant decide on a dime like this. Friday afternoon send people a email or test starting tomorrow testing goes into effect. I would like a week, at least a few days notice. Some people have shuttles booked, returning rental cars. Hard to come late to board with no notice.

Rcl is getting very bad too about last minute changes. 

It's not just the test, it's the starting right now part got people screaming. Rcl boarding this weekend has to find a place for a covid test to bring with them. People need notice.

I guarantee people are cancelling. Just no notice. 

I'm firmly in the thank goodness I'm booked on carnival next camp.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's not just the test, it's the starting right now part got people screaming. Rcl boarding this weekend has to find a place for a covid test to bring with them. People need notice.

I agree, the last minute changes are the issue.  I am still confident that having 100% crew and 95% passengers vaxxed will keep Carnival from having to implement this, especially on short notice. Further I see little point as it's entirely possible for people to be uninfected 3 days out but not on embarkation day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got my email with details about procedures for my 8/7 sailing on the Magic ... nothing about testing.

We're fully vaccinated, but will probably lay low (we've been here in Orlando for a couple of weeks already) until cruise day.

I had a close friend that I was in close contact with for three days recently come down with Covid (got it from one of the unvaxxed children at her daughter's 1st birthday party -- she was vaxxed with Moderna), but I never had symptoms and tested negative twice over the course of seven days. 

I'm not naive enough to think the vaccine makes me invincible, but I am logical enough to know that being vaccinated means if/when I get it, I won't die ... or likely even get super sick. I go home to just my husband who is also vaccinated, and we aren't ever around kids (or unvaccinated people). 

Anyway. Looking forward to the Magic! I'm happy to sail on any ship that is going 95%. The Royal system seems like such a mess now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I agree, the last minute changes are the issue.  I am still confident that having 100% crew and 95% passengers vaxxed will keep Carnival from having to implement this, especially on short notice. Further I see little point as it's entirely possible for people to be uninfected 3 days out but not on embarkation day.

Yes, the timing is defiantly a huge issue.  RCCL has really dropped the ball on their communications and timing.   But I don't think that the testing is pointless.  Something doesn't have to be 100% to still be useful.  If you look at masks, social distancing, vaccines, and testing, none of them are 100%, but combined, they get much closer than if you leave any of them out.  If Delta continues to be as contagious as it currently is, then it may make sense to wear masks while inside, on land or on ships.  If you only look at the percentage of protection it provides, it is not a great number.  But if you take that percentage of the entire population that is at risk, it adds up to a lot of people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Is Royal requiring people to use ship tours or can they venture out on their own. I think ports are where people are picking up covid.

Same rules as carnival. Vaccinated can go out on their own, unvaccinated bubble tours.

I really think rcl make a huge mistake not doing vaccinated like carnival. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Is Royal requiring people to use ship tours or can they venture out on their own. I think ports are where people are picking up covid.

Only unvaccinated, and from comments I have read, enforcement is lax at best.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Same rules as carnival. Vaccinated can go out on their own, unvaccinated bubble tours.

I really think rcl make a huge mistake not doing vaccinated like carnival. 

I have a feeling they are thinking that same thing right now.  I actually have cruised a lot more with them than Carnival, but they have each area broken into "teams", but many time each team has their own interpretation of things, and they don't seem to be coordinated.  They really need to get all their teams on the same team.

15 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Celebrity Edge is just now departing from Port Everglades after their testing fiasco today. 7:30 pm departure after all that and they quit the testing partway through and abandoned the plan.

They did not. My co-worker was one of the last boarding groups, was still tested and is onboard now. It's flip comments like this that start drama that is unnecessary.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, keels81 said:

They did not. My co-worker was one of the last boarding groups, was still tested and is onboard now. It's flip comments like this that start drama that is unnecessary.

Okay well sorry then. I am getting this from passengers onboard ship right now, over on the other thread and now I'm past the 30 minutes to edit my comment.

I was on the adventure of the seas on 6/21 and obviously the Carnival Breeze on 7/24.  The protocols and policies on Royal Caribbean were far more stringent than on Carnival, in fact Carnival felt like there was no covix at all everybody was mask-free there was no social distancing. everybody was touching everybody in fact at one of the shows they did the hula hoop thing where 25 strangers were holding hands and passing a hula hoop through each other.  I believe this is going to lead to problems for carnival and they need to have stricter protocols on the ship. While no one likes restricted protocols the cruise line needs to do in order to keep in business.  At least until Delta is under control.

• Like 1

at breakfast the morning that we tested positive we went to the dining room for brunch they decided to sit us at a table 2 inches apart from the table next to us. I almost said something because there were a million tables available but I didn't want to be that person. why on earth they wouldn't have used a table that was further away from other people I have no idea...

• Like 1

when we were called on the internet to come to proceed to medical we were on cherry on top candy store My soon to be told covid positive child was touching all the cherry on top candy machines to see what he wanted to fill his bag with, do you think they got rid of all that candy and sanitized every container?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deweytrader said:

I was on the adventure of the seas on 6/21 and obviously the Carnival Breeze on 7/24.  The protocols and policies on Royal Caribbean were far more stringent than on Carnival, in fact Carnival felt like there was no covix at all everybody was mask-free there was no social distancing. everybody was touching everybody in fact at one of the shows they did the hula hoop thing where 25 strangers were holding hands and passing a hula hoop through each other.  I believe this is going to lead to problems for carnival and they need to have stricter protocols on the ship. While no one likes restricted protocols the cruise line needs to do in order to keep in business.  At least until Delta is under control.

That may be, but Royal seems to be having more cases than Carnival at this point.  Not enough to cause an issue, but a few popping up here and there.  I think the 95/5 is why,  If you think about how unvaccinated people act about COVID vs. how vaccinated people act (yes, I am generalizing and this may not apply to you specifically) in port  and in general may also explain why RCCl seems to have more of the pop-up cases.  I am sure if they start showing up, Carnival will change it's protocols, hopefully with more notice than RCCL is giving.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Easy to say though I see folks over on rcl who live in florida who say you cant even book a test for days. Have to book ahead. Not anywhere close to what you say. Adds stress.

You wait if carnival did it, people will not have this experience.

I was just in FL and returned today. We had to get a rapid test for a person that was with us (no symptoms or anything, but had to be safe for family when we got back). It took an hour for the paperwork mostly because I was not the parent and the parents weren't with us. We waited 2 hours to get the test and another 30 for the result. The tests are there, just extremely long waits. This was in Orlando while visiting there.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

That may be, but Royal seems to be having more cases than Carnival at this point.  Not enough to cause an issue, but a few popping up here and there.  I think the 95/5 is why,  If you think about how unvaccinated people act about COVID vs. how vaccinated people act (yes, I am generalizing and this may not apply to you specifically) in port  and in general may also explain why RCCl seems to have more of the pop-up cases.  I am sure if they start showing up, Carnival will change it's protocols, hopefully with more notice than RCCL is giving.  

I'm just comparing my experience on the 6/21 adventure versus 7/24 Breeze. The adventure i was on was at 93% vaccinated 7% unvaxxed vaccinated so fairly in line with the carnival ship at 95/5.

The BEST thing Carnival did was the "Exemption Process" -- yes, it's frustrating and last-minute ... but it's way better than what RCL and Celebrity are doing. CCL has a better concept of the passengers on their ships because of the exemption process. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

at breakfast the morning that we tested positive we went to the dining room for brunch they decided to sit us at a table 2 inches apart from the table next to us. I almost said something because there were a million tables available but I didn't want to be that person. why on earth they wouldn't have used a table that was further away from other people I have no idea...

I would have been "that person" because being that person is not a bad thing.  We need more of "those people" when a situation like that comes up.  And we need to stop think of cautious people as "those people."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deweytrader said:

I'm just comparing my experience on the 6/21 adventure versus 7/24 Breeze. The adventure i was on was at 93% vaccinated 7% unvaxxed vaccinated so fairly in line with the carnival ship at 95/5.

I haven't been keeping track, but it seems to me I have heard more about people testing positive on RCCL brands than Carnival, I may be wrong.  Or maybe Carnival is doing a better PR job, I don't know.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I would have been "that person" because being that person is not a bad thing.  We need more of "those people" when a situation like that comes up.  And we need to stop think of cautious people as "those people."

in retrospect they should have sat us at a table further from other to begin with.  

• Like 1

Just now, MrMarc said:

I haven't been keeping track, but it seems to me I have heard more about people testing positive on RCCL brands than Carnival, I may be wrong.  Or maybe Carnival is doing a better PR job, I don't know.

Carnival is hiding it 100%. they did not announce the three positive cases on my cruise in fact they did everything in their power to hide it from all passengers and their employees.  on my walk of shame to quarantine cabin they locked everything off and the couple employees  that saw me where screamed at to get the hell out of there.  The only reason why they paid for my transfer to the hotel I'm currently staying as at is because I told them I would have to hire an ambulance for transport. The last thing they wanted was an ambulance at that pier and then paid for our transfer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Carnival is hiding it 100%. they did not announce the three positive cases on my cruise in fact they did everything in their power to hide it from all passengers and their employees.  on my walk of shame to quarantine cabin they locked everything off and the couple employees  that saw me where screamed at to get the hell out of there.  The only reason why they paid for my transfer to the hotel I'm currently staying as at is because I told them I would have to hire an ambulance for transport. The last thing they wanted was an ambulance at that pier and then paid for our transfer.

Nah, I'm going to say this is on you because you took your unvaccinated child on multiple cruises knowing that they're carriers and spreaders of Covid. Did you mention that y'all had been out of the country within the last 30 days and do the on-site tests?

Edited by keels81
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I was just in FL and returned today. We had to get a rapid test for a person that was with us (no symptoms or anything, but had to be safe for family when we got back). It took an hour for the paperwork mostly because I was not the parent and the parents weren't with us. We waited 2 hours to get the test and another 30 for the result. The tests are there, just extremely long waits.

its getting crazy here in Florida, especially northeast.  We are sailing hopefully August 30 on Magic out of PC. After reading all the stuff with RCL this morning, I started looking for places nearby where we could go get a rapid or whatever Carnival may want, test. Every CVS  and Walgreens for 75 miles had no available testing appointments! We would probably go to our health department and wait in line, but don’t know if results would be back in time. Hope some of this dies down before the end of August!

• Thanks 1