Thank you Carnival for going the 95/5 route!

MrMarc

12 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

it appears carnival is the only cruise line that is not informing their passengers about positive cases. if I was on a cruise ship I would want to know so that I could be tested when I got home and make necessary precautions.  My mother while vaccinated has underlying conditions that if I knew I was possibly exposed would not want to be around her.

Exactly my point.  It seems others don’t find the need to be informed. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deweytrader said:

My experience on Carnival was nothing like this.  polar opposite.  I will quote the doctor in the medical center one more time "The last thing Carnival wants is this getting in the news"

Got it, thanks Dewey. Sorry that this happened to you. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We mostly sail Royal and I have had this discussion with my husband.  I wish from the beginning Royal had gone the 95% route instead of what they are doing now.  And their constant flip flopping on information every single day is making me crazy!!

Hoping the Mardi Gras has a beautiful and uneventful sailing…

Completely agree.  Diamond on RC and was hoping to take advantage of those double points to get me to D+ .  I need to watch their process a little longer to see how it settles in.  
They are not having more infections than Carnival it seems but I like the way they’re handling them so far. 

3 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

the only assistance I received

16278414452517085067888386177417.jpg

this is what the gentleman in guest services kept referring to as the documents.  I was under the impression there would more than just this. Some way to contact somebody to transport us and just more official rules and regulations of what to do next. This was the official document I waited hours for!

22 minutes ago, pogoism9 said:

I would see a ship with passengers showing green as a problem more than orange/yellow. Carnival (and all the other lines) *have* to report cases to the CDC, they are under 0 obligation to report them to us. I fully expect to see yellow/orange across the fleet for those that are actively sailing with passengers. 

If they are following CDC guidelines and going 95/5, and CDC is not mandating testing/masks for the vaccinated, why does everyone assume the sky is falling? Hell, there was someone in another thread that openly declared "we are mere hours from mandated masks" (paraphrased). Where is the source of that? Why are people seemingly believing it? What we have at this moment is working until it needs to change.

I don't think the sky is falling at all, it just would not surprise me to see testing, and possibly masking inside, coming because of the Delta variant.  That doesn't mean it's time to panic or even get upset.  It means they are trying to make sure all you bring back from your vacation are overpriced souvenirs, too many pictures than you can look at, great memories (with a few of those memories not too clear) and possibly a watch or jewelry that you really didn't need and now wonder if you actually got a deal on.

• Like 2

With our CT numbers being so low both my son and I were spreading the virus voraciously without even knowing.  this shows that fully vaccinated people can spread the virus to others just as much as unvaxxed.  this is why I also believe I have the Delta variant..

56 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

it appears carnival is the only cruise line that is not informing their passengers about positive cases. if I was on a cruise ship I would want to know so that I could be tested when I got home and make necessary precautions.  My mother while vaccinated has underlying conditions that if I knew I was possibly exposed would not want to be around her.

Honestly - after any vacation, whether cruise or not, anyone with underlying conditions or showing any symptoms at all should be tested.   Unfortunately vaxxed and unvaxxed can transmit covid and it is literally everywhere.  Many have no symptoms at all so they won't even know they have covid and will transmit.   It's just where we are right now with Delta.  In other words, if you are worried at all, assume you've been exposed and get tested.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, keels81 said:

If it were me and my spouse was negative, I would've just rented a car and driven home instead of doing the quarantine thing. But that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

I'm glad I'm not your spouse as the last thing I want is my husband/daughter to be exposed to us and get the virus!  1800 miles in a rental car serms like a good way to transmit it to them...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deweytrader said:

With our CT numbers being so low both my son and I were spreading the virus voraciously without even knowing.  this shows that fully vaccinated people can spread the virus to others just as much as unvaxxed.  this is why I also believe I have the Delta variant..

Hi there.  Just need to let you one that just because your CT numbers may have been high, there is quite a bit of evidence that your transmission was limited because you are vaccinated.  Your son who was unvaccinated was most likely pretty contagious which is why he was able to infect you. However it seems based on what you said you didn't infect your husband which means the vaccine most likely muted your ability to spread.  That is great news for our vaccines and confirms what we've been seeing in latest studies.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I wouldn't necessarily want to know. I'm vaxxed, my whole family is vaxxed.  I already know the risk exists. A few isolated cases are not a major outbreak. In fact I think it is inevitable that several sailings will have a few cases.

I agree. If vaxxed, no need to test. Just get home, if anything arises, test at home and plan accordingly there.

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It is likely an automatic charge and a future process improvement coming, but enjoy your next cruise line.

It is still an insulting, unthinking, terrible charge to make.

And we have enjoyed all the cruise lines we have been on, some more, some less than others.

<begin rant>We all talk about these protocols in the abstract.  I run a paint-it yourself ceramics shop.  I require everyone who is unvaccinated, including children to wear masks.  I have families from all over the world coming to my shop, and I don't know where anyone has been recently, not to mention when dealing with kids and families I choose to err on the side of caution.  I have been brutally attacked on Facebook by a home  school group over my masking policies (there are about 250 comments on my post showing my mask protocol signs).I just had a situation where a family came in and said their kids would not wear masks.  None of the adults were wearing masks.  I decided to sit them outside.  I also had another family painting outside that were all wearing masks.  That family rushed to finish because I had seated the unmasked family near them.  I have a group coming in that have expressed that they want a table as isolated as possible.  The father from the unmasked family is coming in and out to get their paint and other tools.  I stressed about the situation for about 15 minutes and finally did what I should have done to begin with, ask the father if he was vaccinated.  He is (and I believe him).  But as a shop owner, I am in a no win situation.  So now I am sitting here, trying to calm down and stop sweating.  That is what a small business has to deal with right now.  Multiply that by a million or more, and that is what the cruise lines are going through.  They, like me, have to make a decision.  And once you've chosen, you have to stick to it.    Everyone needs to stop complaining about whatever protocols they choose and either go on a cruise or not.  Stop yelling at the customer service people, stop complaining on these boards, and just stop complaining in general.  There are rules.  You can choose to cruise under those rules or not cruise.  Sometimes the rules are going to change suddenly, and the cruise lines will do the best they can (ok, RCCL has dropped the ball with this one).  Believe me, it sucks to be trying to have your business survive, and then be stuck in these situations.<end rant>

• Like 6

3 hours ago, deweytrader said:

We were also responsible for our own transportation to our quarantine hotel I informed Carnival that most likely I would have to hire an ambulance they did not want an ambulance at the port and therefore did provide us with transportation to our hotel.  

Wonderful priorities, making sure no one sees an ambulance at the port. I guess not informing passengers that there was Covid on the ship goes hand and hand with that.

But at least they can still make money by charging you for quarantine room service. I guess that is another priority.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It is still an insulting, unthinking, terrible charge to make.

And we have enjoyed all the cruise lines we have been on, some more, some less than others.

It probably was either automatic or accidental.  As long as they are willing to fix it, it seems like a very small thing to take out all your frustrations on.  People and computers make mistakes.  The can be corrected.  Sometimes it takes a day or two to correct it because of the way some accounting systems run.  If the could, I am sure the ship would give her the cash back, but they can't.

3 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Where in Houston are you?  I live Southwest of Houston in Sugar Land.  If there is anything you need brought to you, although I know there are delivery services for everything already, and I can do it, I would be glad to.

That is a very nice offer. Kudos to you.

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

It probably was either automatic or accidental.  As long as they are willing to fix it, it seems like a very small thing to take out all your frustrations on.  People and computers make mistakes.  The can be corrected.  Sometimes it takes a day or two to correct it because of the way some accounting systems run.  If the could, I am sure the ship would give her the cash back, but they can't.

I'm sorry, it is a situation that they should have foreseen. It is just a terrible thing to do to a family whose vacation has just crashed.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Wonderful priorities, making sure no one sees an ambulance at the port. I guess not informing passengers that there was Covid on the ship goes hand and hand with that.

But at least they can still make money by charging you for quarantine room service. I guess that is another priority.

I really doubt that was why, they just made an exception.  This is their published policy:

If you traveled by air to join your cruise and test positive at embarkation and are not able to cruise – or test positive during the debark testing – you may be required to quarantine before traveling home. While Carnival will help make quarantine arrangements, all guests are responsible for expenses associated with quarantine.

So everyone is getting upset at Carnival for following their own rules.  Did you know you also have to pay for your own transportation to the airport?  She was most likely frustrated and upset, so someone from Carnival did a nice thing.  Ambulances meet ships when they come back all the time having nothing to do with COVID.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'm sorry, it is a situation that they should have foreseen. It is just a terrible thing to do to a family whose vacation has just crashed.

I am not sure what part of mistake you are not understanding.  Mistakes are made be people all the time, it's how we treat them when they do that really matters.   It is actually possible that the mistake was made because they were trying to do something differently than they normally do.   Sometimes when you try and be extra careful, you mess things up worse.  That is life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I really doubt that was why, they just made an exception.  This is their published policy:

If you traveled by air to join your cruise and test positive at embarkation and are not able to cruise – or test positive during the debark testing – you may be required to quarantine before traveling home. While Carnival will help make quarantine arrangements, all guests are responsible for expenses associated with quarantine.

So everyone is getting upset at Carnival for following their own rules.  Did you know you also have to pay for your own transportation to the airport?  She was most likely frustrated and upset, so someone from Carnival did a nice thing.  Ambulances meet ships when they come back all the time having nothing to do with COVID.

And reading Dewey's post, I guess helping you make quarantine arrangements is giving a list of wrong numbers for hotels. Just as unprepared for what was inevitable to happen as not thinking to have the delivery charge suspended for those under quarantine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deweytrader said:

One I am sorry to here you went through this.  But why would you want to know to get tested when you get home.  Do you not realize every time you go into a store with a pharmacy you are getting exposed to CVOID.    My wife works at an in store pharmacy I can tell you for a fact people with COVID are going shopping around the story  and then going up and picking up the medication the doctors sent in for them.   This is were the real problem is from.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

She wad tested negative upon embarkation, though.  How does this apply to her situation?