Jump to content

Don's Family Vacations - Testing Nightmare on Celebrity


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Thor17 said:

It seems strange that a PCR test that is usually 24-48 hrs turn around can be done in an hour now....guess there has been an improvement in lab techniques?

 

I believe most of the time is in transporting the sample to a lab and queued for processing. If the lab is at the collection site, testing time is reduced dramatically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was watching Don’s blog even though I’m not a subscriber. He had mentioned there were long lines at the FLL airport for the PCR test since so many international travellers had missed their flight from the Edge. It sounds like they were backed up at the airport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, poffles said:

 

I suspect the 1 hour to be the antigen?  One hour seems 😲 but awesome if PCR.

Test types and turnaround times for FLL testing:

 

Rapid Antigen test results are sent approximately 30 minutes after testing. The Rapid PCR test results are available up to 45 minutes after testing while the regular PCR test results are available approximately 48 hours after testing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fouremco said:

Test types and turnaround times for FLL testing:

 

Rapid Antigen test results are sent approximately 30 minutes after testing. The Rapid PCR test results are available up to 45 minutes after testing while the regular PCR test results are available approximately 48 hours after testing.

 

Ya just read that so guessing the regular test is what is required for Don's flight ... totally guessing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don did get his test results back late last night from the airport location so he did fly home today. He mentioned he’s off again in 3 weeks time to sail on the new Carnival Marci Gras. Hope the testing is better on that ship.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Magicat said:

We had an RT_Lamp PCR test in Buffalo, results emailed in an hour.  Was used to enter Canada.

 

I really appreciate you posting this as you have first hand knowledge of the testing requirements to enter Canada.

It is very good to know that the 'rapid" PCR test that comes back in an hour is allowed to enter Canada.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

 

I really appreciate you posting this as you have first hand knowledge of the testing requirements to enter Canada.

It is very good to know that the 'rapid" PCR test that comes back in an hour is allowed to enter Canada.

 

What I failed to mention is the test cost us $225 USD each for the tests.  Our insurance paid for it but if you don't have insurance to cover that, then you are on the hook.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Magicat said:

What I failed to mention is the test cost us $225 USD each for the tests.  Our insurance paid for it but if you don't have insurance to cover that, then you are on the hook.

 

Ooo it's covered by insurance? Your travel insurance I assume?

 

I haven't really looked into insurance yet as I'm waiting for Carnival to decide on vaccine rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 5:48 PM, Blackduck59 said:

As for the first comment there are still travel advisories and last time I checked the US border is technically not open to Canadians for "Non Essential" travel.

That only applies to land border crossings.  Air Travel is not restricted although it is not recommended is the way i read it

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

 

Ooo it's covered by insurance? Your travel insurance I assume?

 

I haven't really looked into insurance yet as I'm waiting for Carnival to decide on vaccine rules.

Check your policy before you go.  I think ours extended Covid related expenses until Oct 31.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

That only applies to land border crossings.  Air Travel is not restricted although it is not recommended is the way i read it


With travel advisories, they are advising to avoid all cruise travel, but Canadians are still cruising. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, K_e_short said:

 

I really appreciate you posting this as you have first hand knowledge of the testing requirements to enter Canada.

It is very good to know that the 'rapid" PCR test that comes back in an hour is allowed to enter Canada.

 

Over on the DIS (Disney) boards there are a few posters who have been traveling to FL over the last year.  They swear by booking the drive thru Walgreens NAAT Rapid ID NOW test, which is free. They just use their hotel address.  They have never been asked for insurance, etc as that is all option info when booking on the website.

 

I think I would book an extra hotel night the day of embarkation. Get tested that day and get the results within hours.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Over on the DIS (Disney) boards there are a few posters who have been traveling to FL over the last year.  They swear by booking the drive thru Walgreens NAAT Rapid ID NOW test, which is free. They just use their hotel address.  They have never been asked for insurance, etc as that is all option info when booking on the website.

 

I think I would book an extra hotel night the day of embarkation. Get tested that day and get the results within hours.

Exactly what we did.  We interpreted the Canadian entry requirements at the time, that we were to provide a negative covid PCR test performed in the US at the border.  The driver that we used checked to make sure we had the correct test.  He said the week before, he picked up someone without the correct test.  At the Canadian border, they were offered to pay the fine or get turned around back to the US to get the test.  Neither border services were happy with her that day.

 

Since the rules are continuously changing, it is best to review every countries entry requirements a day or so before you go.  Our experience was a land border crossing on June 19th to Canada and air travel on July 18th to US/Mexico.

Edited by Magicat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 6:00 PM, Travelexpert35 said:

Don did get his test results back late last night from the airport location so he did fly home today. He mentioned he’s off again in 3 weeks time to sail on the new Carnival Marci Gras. Hope the testing is better on that ship.

I just recently read on these boards, that Carnival is not doing testing - so it will be interesting to see how that works.  Does Don have a profile here, that I could follow to see how he makes out on the Carnival cruise?  Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jen1016_d said:

I just recently read on these boards, that Carnival is not doing testing - so it will be interesting to see how that works.  Does Don have a profile here, that I could follow to see how he makes out on the Carnival cruise?  Thanks


Don had to cancel his Carnival cruise due to no testing on board as he requires this to fly home. He would have had to incur more costs by staying in FLL for a few days after the cruise in order to get tested. It would be interesting to know how many international travellers are actually cruising with all of the red tape required. I would think that most cruises right now are carrying mostly Americans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:


Don had to cancel his Carnival cruise due to no testing on board as he requires this to fly home. He would have had to incur more costs by staying in FLL for a few days after the cruise in order to get tested. It would be interesting to know how many international travellers are actually cruising with all of the red tape required. I would think that most cruises right now are carrying mostly Americans.

I am planning to take a Carnival cruise in January, so this is a bit worrisome.  We haven't booked our flights yet, but I would like to fairly soon before the prices go up.  But without knowing what the rules be like regarding Covid testing etc, it is making things quite challenging 😞 !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...