ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Juneau August 2, 2021

Scrapnana

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

How can such a thing happen if I am on Deck 5 and those sailors are two decks below me?  And there are two decks of steel between me and them?  And, they would be throwing such lines in a direction different from where I would be?  Thanks for providing a possible reason.  Not accepted, however, by me, however.   

It's Captain's choice from what I have learned.  Whatever the Master's reasons maybe, I have no idea.  But, from a guest's perspective, it is significant as far as the enjoyment for scenic viewing when the ship sails into or out of a port.  

Thought you were talking about being on the bow behind/among those sailors! Like I said, ask a captain next time you sail. He, and/or his staff captain, would have the answer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Thought you were talking about being on the bow behind/among those sailors! Like I said, ask a captain next time you sail. He, and/or his staff captain, would have the answer

I have asked that question during Behind the Scenes Tours.  The only  answer that I have received has been "it's the Master's choice".  Appealing to the Hotel Director to have that deck open has resulted in the deck kept closed.

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have asked that question during Behind the Scenes Tours.  The only  answer that I have received has been "it's the Master's choice".  Appealing to the Hotel Director to have that deck open has resulted in the deck kept closed.

The HD has nothing to do with that decision! It's the master/captain who makes it, aided by his No.2, the staff captain, and my experience has been that it comes down to safety, i.e. high winds, inclement weather, in the process of mooring and/or unmooring, etc.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

my experience has been that it comes down to safety, i.e. high winds, inclement weather, in the process of mooring and/or unmooring, etc.

Perfectly good reasons.  I have sailed on too many HAL ships with these Deck 5 decks when there ought to have been no concerns about the safety of the guests during the docking or sailing.  From my perspective, of course.  

I repeat my questioning about the mooring and unmooring:  how can such events as you described impact guests two deck above where the lines are being handled, in a closed environment, many feet, two decks below, with the sailors on a diving board from where the lines are being handled? 

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Perfectly good reasons.  I have sailed on too many HAL ships with these Deck 5 decks when there ought to have been no concerns about the safety of the guests during the docking or sailing.  From my perspective, of course.  

I repeat my questioning about the mooring and unmooring:  how can such events as you described impact guests two deck above where the lines are being handled, in a closed environment, many feet, two decks below, with the sailors on a diving board from where the lines are being handled? 

Sorry, I can't help you any further Sir! Have yourself a grand evening and stay safe!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sorry, I can't help you any further Sir! Have yourself a grand evening and stay safe!

I appreciate your participation in our discussion.  Thank you.  

Good wishes to you as well.  And, I am a bit jealous that the Chief and you will soon be sailing on the beautiful Nieuw Amsterdam.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

You would have to ask each individual captain that question! Don't forget, sailors are throwing lines with a weighted ball at the end of that line, from the bow upon arrival, and you know what would happen if, God forbid, some of those nice pax would get too close to that activity and would wind up getting plunked in the noggin........................Can you say $$$ and a couple more ?.........

I was on a Russian River cruise and up on an observation deck taking pictures as we were docking, a deck above the sailor throwing a line from the ship. It went astray as he did some type of windup to throw it, and I was struck in the face by the weighted ball on the end! I now have a plate in my eye socket from an orbital blowout fracture it caused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I was on a Russian River cruise and up on an observation deck taking pictures as we were docking, a deck above the sailor throwing a line from the ship. It went astray as he did some type of windup to throw it, and I was struck in the face by the weighted ball on the end! I now have a plate in my eye socket from an orbital blowout fracture it caused.

Very sorry to hear about that unfortunate experience you had to go through! Take care and be safe!