If 100/0, does Carnival even need to test onboard?

I guess this would go for any cruise line, but since I have CCL booked, that is where I am looking. After reading about what happened on the Breeze and Carnival keeping covid cases secret, my question is why even risk it. If the cruises are 100% vaccinated with no exceptions what-so-ever, would anyone need to be tested onboard at all?

My personal feeling is that I am vaccinated, my family is vaccinated. There is no reason for us to be tested at all. If everyone else onboard is tested as well, there is no need to test. This way there are no evacs, special debarking to hide it, no quarantining, etc. We got vaccinated because we cannot afford 10+ days of quarantining. The only reason to test vaccinated passengers is due to exposure to an unvaccinated person that tests positive. This becomes a financial and potential life altering issue for many people like us. We could lose our job(s) because of an unvaccinated person. This is a burden unvaccinated passenger should have to assume as well. At $200/nt for a quarantine hotel, for a minimum of 10 nights, meals, etc, you are at about $3,000 minimum for quarantine. Beyond that, the expenses for things at home that need to be taken care of. It would cost at least another $1,000+ to have my pets taken care of, $100 for lawn maintenance at least, and other general expenses. This doesn't even count the additional missed time at work. Even if I could have our computers shipped next day air, there is a loss of sick leave we would have to absorb.

Cruise lines need to start making the liability of the unvaccinated far more than just themselves. They need to accept and agree to all of the other expenses that go along with it from the others that are affected. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Carnival is following local country and government requirement. Some country require a negative test a few days prior to arrival to enter that country. in additional, to get back to the USA after visiting an international country you might need a negative test

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I've been thinking about not getting off in the ports. I didnt know a covid test was required when I booked, but oct I'm booked b2b, so I have to get tested. I'm now worried what if I test positive. Will I be allowed to get my car and drive home or do I have to stay in a hotel. I live alone so it would make more sense to quarantine at home if I could get my car.

Dewey had to fly, i could drive straight home. We still dont really know what is allowed.

I wasnt worried until the last 3 days and all the positives posted from 3 different lines.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

Until everyone gets vaccinated and we have Covid on the run
(far from complete, as we speak) there will always be a need to test!

Prepare yourself

for the current status quo to continue well into 2022.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I've been thinking about not getting off in the ports. I didnt know a covid test was required, but oct I'm booked b2b, so I have to get tested. I'm now worried what if I test positive. Will I be allowed to get my car and drive home or do I have to stay in a hotel. I live alone so it would make more sense to quarantine at home if I could get my car.

Dewey had to fly, i could drive straight home. We still dont really know what is allowed.

This is an absolute mess. If it is 100% vaccinated, no questions, then there is no need to test anyone onboard unless they show symptoms. In most cases, they would not even know. This is why I think it has to be 100% vaccinated, no exceptions.

We just got back from Orlando area and theme parks. There is so little to do at them, the few things that were open are slam packed. No mask mandate until the day we left. It was crazy packed, lines mostly more than an hour, no social distancing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Until everyone gets vaccinated and we have Covid on the run
(far from complete, as we speak) there will always be a need to test!

Prepare yourself

for the current status quo to continue well into 2022.

Status quo is not the answer. We need a new status quo. 95/5 is no longer the answer. Carnival is 4 cruises or so in and have cases they are not announcing. They need to state these numbers and indicate the numbers by vaccinated vs unvaccinated. They also need to indicate if the unvaccinated were cabin members of the vaccinated that were positive. This is not good for an industry that can't afford a failure. 

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Status quo is not the answer. We need a new status quo. 95/5 is no longer the answer. Carnival is 4 cruises or so in and have cases they are no announcing. They need to state these numbers and indicate the numbers by vaccinated vs unvaccinated. They also need to indicate if the unvaccinated were cabin members of the vaccinated that were positive. This is not good for an industry that can't afford a failure. 

Someone on rcl started a thread we want to know. The gist was he can want to know all he wants, doesnt mean he will know the numbers. We can watch the ship colors, and that's about it. No way the ships are going to tell us.

• Like 2

Shareholders may have a different answer soon. The CDC still holds quite a bit of power even with the judge ruling. They could start to require ships to provide test records for 100% of people onboard in order to return to port. They could make cruise ships like all other transportation requiring 100% masks except when eating or drinking. I think it is time for the cruise lines to step up to the game since they were permitted to play ball. Do what is right to keep progressing. 

At least NCL is going to down what I think is the absolute right path of vaccinated cruising only. No exceptions. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've been thinking about not getting off in the ports. I didnt know a covid test was required when I booked, but oct I'm booked b2b, so I have to get tested. I'm now worried what if I test positive. Will I be allowed to get my car and drive home or do I have to stay in a hotel. I live alone so it would make more sense to quarantine at home if I could get my car.

I wasnt worried until the last 3 days and all the positives posted from 3 different lines.

I have read alot about travel in the past year... so do  not remember where I found the following information. If I recall correctly, if you test positive and are flying you are quarantined in a hotel for a period of time. If you are driving you can drive home making the minimum of stops.  If I find the link I will post it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You can drive your car home- that's in the CDC stipulations that Carnival is following. You just can't fly. Now I don't know if someone can rent a car and drive home, assuming like myself they flew but do live close enough to drive and turned up positive. That's what I would do assuming I was asymptomatic. That said I wouldn't mind seeing cruise lines go 100/0 if people are truly concerned about Delta- do that before masks and testing inmho. I know, I know, vaccinated passengers can still catch Covid but there's much less chance. If we have to weather this "crisis" as well then I prefer that way. In the end I think we just accept that there will be cases of Covid on ships, just like at the grocery store and there will be enough variants of this to use every letter in the alphabet because that's how viruses work. Keep in mind as well, that there haven't been any reports of anyone being seriously ill who tested positive either- it's not the catching Covid that's a problem, its getting seriously ill or dying from it.

Edited by Jasonsterling
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bevv said:

I have read alot about travel in the past year... so do  not remember where I found the following information. If I recall correctly, if you test positive and are flying you are quarantined in a hotel for a period of time. If you are driving you can drive home making the minimum of stops.  If I find the link I will post it.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/interim-guidance-transporting.html

Infection control measures during ground transport

• Public transportation, rideshare services, or taxis should not be used.
  • Unless they are alone in their vehicle, travelers should continue to wear a mask until they have reached the location where they will complete their self-isolation or quarantine.
  • If a traveler requires the assistance of a driver (e.g., family member), precautions should be in place to protect the driver. The driver should be informed of the potential exposure risk and provided with information about preventing transmission of COVID-19.
    • Driver and passenger(s) should both wear masks during the transport.
    • Driver and passenger(s) should remain separated by at least 6 feet when outside the vehicle. Passenger(s) should sit in the back seat of the vehicle.
    • Driver should avoid using the recirculated air option for the car’s ventilation during passenger transport; use the car’s vents to bring in fresh outside air and/or lower the vehicle windows.
    • Hand sanitizer containing at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol should be available. Driver and passenger should practice good hand hygiene.
  • The vehicles used for ground transportation of persons with COVID-19 or close contacts should be cleaned and sanitized after use.
  • Upon arrival to their home location in the US, travelers must follow U.S. federal, state, and local laws relevant to persons with COVID-19 cases or close contacts and until their isolation or quarantine period is complete.
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We only live 10-15 minutes from the port we cruise from, so the driving thing is great, as long as you make it all the way back to your embarkation port.

While I absolutely dislike the divisiveness of the vaccine conversation, I think 100% is the way to go for the next few months.  Sorry, but the unvaccinated kids do seem to be an issue and it seems they are the ones getting the majority of the exemptions.  School is about to resume, so maybe better off with no exemptions for a while.

To me, the largest issue is the ports of call and exposing yourself to a lot of unvaccinated locals.

Edited by balcony bound
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Cruise lines need to start making the liability of the unvaccinated far more than just themselves. They need to accept and agree to all of the other expenses that go along with it from the others that are affected. 

That's not really an option since the CDC apparently said this week that vaccinated people can spread the virus as well. When a person takes a cruise they are accepting there is an inherent risk, health and or, financial. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Someone on rcl started a thread we want to know. The gist was he can want to know all he wants, doesnt mean he will know the numbers. We can watch the ship colors, and that's about it. No way the ships are going to tell us.

And watching the ship colors doesn't help much with knowing how the cruise you are going to be on fares - other than just realizing there WILL be cases and being willing to accept that.

39 minutes ago, vintagegarage said:

Carnival is doing it right, Royal Caribbean is not.

Lol,you realize carnival is inch by inch following royals lead. Its happening hourly. So…………

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

That's not really an option since the CDC apparently said this week that vaccinated people can spread the virus as well. When a person takes a cruise they are accepting there is an inherent risk, health and or, financial. 

Anyone can get the virus.  It seems to me that the biggest risk is with families traveling with an unvaccinated person who will be required to get a covid test before returning to the home port.  If positive, that will trigger tests for the entire family.  I don't know why anyone would go on a cruise and take this huge risk by traveling with an unvaccinated person. I would rebook.

If testing is required for everyone in the future, then it would make a lot more sense to have everyone submit a negative covid test before boarding.  Vaccinated people do not need to be tested again unless they seek medical care on the ship.  If people who have unvaccinated family members would wait until next year to cruise, that would help a lot.  It's bad enough that airlines will let anyone fly and don't require tests.  That will be the highest risk situation I will be in when I cruise in a few weeks.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, balcony bound said:

And watching the ship colors doesn't help much with knowing how the cruise you are going to be on fares - other than just realizing there WILL be cases and being willing to accept that.

Which is kind of my pt. Other than someone coming back and telling us, the colors are the only way we can guess. .. we dont know and carnival isnt going to tell us.

49 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Which is kind of my pt. Other than someone coming back and telling us, the colors are the only way we can guess. .. we dont know and carnival isnt going to tell us.

And since most folks that cruise don't post here, we just won't know, or just hear of the occasional experience.

3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I guess this would go for any cruise line, but since I have CCL booked, that is where I am looking. After reading about what happened on the Breeze and Carnival keeping covid cases secret, 

What happened on the Breeze? I looked back in Cruise Critic, and then Google, and can't find it. (Maybe because it's secret? JK) I'm going on the Breeze several times in the future. I would like to know what the current problems are.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I guess this would go for any cruise line, but since I have CCL booked, that is where I am looking. After reading about what happened on the Breeze and Carnival keeping covid cases secret, my question is why even risk it. If the cruises are 100% vaccinated with no exceptions what-so-ever, would anyone need to be tested onboard at all?

Can you give more information on this as I have not read about it and can't seem to find any info?

52 minutes ago, JeanieTheMom said:

What happened on the Breeze? I looked back in Cruise Critic, and then Google, and can't find it. (Maybe because it's secret? JK) I'm going on the Breeze several times in the future. I would like to know what the current problems are.

Thanks!

Look for the thread Vista Now Orange. Deweytrader recounts her experience of testing positive on the Breeze. You can skip through it just reading her posts to see how Carnival handled her transportation and quarantine. Should be of interest to anyone sailing on Carnival anytime soon.

• Like 4

It is absurd to think coverups are happening. You see the color coding of ships change. There is no reason to start rumors the the cruise lines are not following CDC reporting requirements.

It is federal law (not CDC rules) that deaths and illnesses among passengers and crew be reported

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=8a82769f4950dc2f683da2316d17ac5e&node=42:1.0.1.6.59.3&rgn=div6

• Like 1

I’ve been watching JH’s lives from the MG and I don’t see anyone wearing masks. Young, old, 95%, 5%. He’s shown several children and they didn’t even have masks hanging. Thought that was pretty brazen. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

This is an absolute mess. If it is 100% vaccinated, no questions, then there is no need to test anyone onboard unless they show symptoms. In most cases, they would not even know. This is why I think it has to be 100% vaccinated, no exceptions.

We just got back from Orlando area and theme parks. There is so little to do at them, the few things that were open are slam packed. No mask mandate until the day we left. It was crazy packed, lines mostly more than an hour, no social distancing. 

I'm a little confused. You just got back from Florida - the epicenter of the Delta breakout. You went to the theme parks under all these circumstances. But cruising on a 95% vaccinated cruise is a bridge too far for you??

• Like 11
  • Haha 3