If 100/0, does Carnival even need to test onboard?

BoozinCroozin

15 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

None.  My wife and I got the vaccines and we are PRO-VACCINE.  My kids are too young for it -- 9, 7, and 1.  I do not know how any parent would allow anyone to put something in their kids to be a test subject.  To me, it is common sense as a parent.  I never said I don't want my kids to ever have the vaccine either.  When the test trials are over and it has been around for a time where I deem it is safe for my child, then it will time.  Until then, nope.  Need to see the data and weigh all of the risks.  Every vaccine has risks.  None are perfect.  

How much data did you need before you got jabbed? Not blaming you, but I think you are holding your kids to a higher standard?

16 minutes ago, kleibo said:

Talk abut fear mongering.  Some experts.....

Back to the discussion -  100% vaxxed does not equal no cases of covid on the ship.  

100% has better odds than 95%. And who knows how many are lying about being vaccinated.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210730/threat-of-vaccine-proof-covid-variant

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/lambda-variant-shows-vaccine-resistance-study-675674

14 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

How much data did you need before you got jabbed? Not blaming you, but I think you are holding your kids to a higher standard?

My kids come first. Always. I researched a lot before I got the vaccine.  Got mine in March.  I had to because of my line of work and it was the best thing to do at the time.  My wife got hers in May.  She waited and was very hesitant because she was breastfeeding.  We waited for more data and we made a decision based on the data we had.  There is no data out for kids yet.  NONE.  We have seen some data from 12 and up though.  We have had a least two teens in our neighborhood that had issues from the vaccine but they are doing okay now.  Scary thing for parents.  Every parent needs to make the right decision for their family.  Right now... I wouldn't by looking at the data from Pfizer as it is now.  New vaccines are on the horizon and it will get better.  Only time will tell..... my kids are healthy and I don't think they are at risk of being hospitalized due to Covid.  I am not going to rush my small children into a vaccine to be a test subject over a miniscule chance of the virus affecting them.  

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Yes absolutely and I am for 100% vaxxed cruises, but you have to acknowledge that will not decrease the chance to zero.  As you know from my other posts - Viking Ocean has testing before, testing every day and mask wearing on the ship and during excursions and they have experienced Covid on their ships.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I am not going to rush my small children into a vaccine to be a test subject over a miniscule chance of the virus affecting them

"miniscule" - you're being generous....  🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kleibo said:

Yes absolutely and I am for 100% vaxxed cruises, but you have to acknowledge that will not decrease the chance to zero.  As you know from my other posts - Viking Ocean has testing before, testing every day and mask wearing on the ship and during excursions and they have experienced Covid on their ships.

No, but we know the ships aren't sick. Someone has to bring it on the ship. I think there are tests now that can detect if you have been exposed to covid in the past few hours.

2 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

That's my point. Carnival doesn't owe anyone any of that information, but people believe that they are entitled to know EVERY MINUTIAE of every event. I realize they can just say "we have one positive case of Covid". I still think tons of people will freak out.

Good on Carnival for not sharing. There are a lot of things that happen on cruise ships that they don't need to share with the busybodies. A handful of COVID cases is to be expected.

41 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

So what fear monger got you thinking you don't want the vaccine for your kids?

Young, healthy, males, are more likely to develop myocarditis from the vaccine than to die from COVID. What fear mongerer got you thinking kids need to be vaccinated?

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 8:33 AM, Lee Cruiser said:

That's not really an option since the CDC apparently said this week that vaccinated people can spread the virus as well. When a person takes a cruise they are accepting there is an inherent risk, health and or, financial. 

I just read that the breakthrough rate of infection for vaccinated people is less than 0.1%. So, as far as "spreading the virus", vaccinated people do not have much opportunity to spread the virus to anyone if they don't actually contract the virus themselves. This is still good news for vaccinated people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Young, healthy, males, are more likely to develop myocarditis from the vaccine than to die from COVID. What fear mongerer got you thinking kids need to be vaccinated?

Not fear but fact that kids can and are spreading to vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. Couple that with a cruise ship environment and you have the makings of a perfect storm.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html

The known and potential benefits of COVID-19 vaccination outweigh the known and potential risks, including the possible risk of myocarditis or pericarditis. Also, most patients with myocarditis and pericarditis who received care responded well to treatment and rest and quickly felt better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I just read that the breakthrough rate of infection for vaccinated people is less than 0.1%. So, as far as "spreading the virus", vaccinated people do not have much opportunity to spread the virus to anyone if they don't actually contract the virus themselves. This is still good news for vaccinated people.

Someone needs to share that with the CDC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Actually, I think the .1% refers to the percent of new cases that are breakthrough vs unvaccinated cases.   An important distinction.  I do not think we can yet calculate the likelihood of infection yet.  Just not enough data.  

The same study estimates that we are experiencing 35K breakthrough cases each week.  

But as you point out... it's mostly good news as the number of infections for vaccinated is much lower.

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

No, but we know the ships aren't sick. Someone has to bring it on the ship. I think there are tests now that can detect if you have been exposed to covid in the past few hours.

Aare we going to take those tests after each time in a new port, each day,  And all crew as well?

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Not fear but fact that kids can and are spreading to vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. Couple that with a cruise ship environment and you have the makings of a perfect storm.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html

The known and potential benefits of COVID-19 vaccination outweigh the known and potential risks, including the possible risk of myocarditis or pericarditis. Also, most patients with myocarditis and pericarditis who received care responded well to treatment and rest and quickly felt better.

That's why I would not take my unvaxxed kids on a cruise right now during this Delta variant.  Too risky and the kids are contracting this variant at a much higher rate even though they may not get the symptoms but they can spread the virus.  It can ruin a cruise with the post nightmare some have had and why take a chance now when you can wait for this to pass and hopefully this variant to calm down

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Good on Carnival for not sharing. There are a lot of things that happen on cruise ships that they don't need to share with the busybodies. A handful of COVID cases is to be expected.

My son's cardiology department from the second largest children's hospital in the country would beg to differ 🙂

The response to my concern over having my son with a heart condition get the vaccine was that developing Covid would be and still is more dangerous.

Thanks for trying to throw out random incorrect info in an attempt to prove that vaccines are unsafe 🙂

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Some countries randomly test everyone entering. Why not?

That's a hard pass for me. I don't want to test everyday on a cruise -  I have 3 cruises booked and I'll have to see what changes.  But that's a no go for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

That's my point. Carnival doesn't owe anyone any of that information, but people believe that they are entitled to know EVERY MINUTIAE of every event. I realize they can just say "we have one positive case of Covid". I still think tons of people will freak out.

I agree.

I think it would be ridiculous for Carnival to make announcements every time someone tests positive.  What good does that do anyone?  People shouldn't cruise if they are worried about positive cases because there will be positive cases.  If the ship announced 5 positive cases, how in the world does that help anyone?  I think some people really need to take a long break from cruising and probably from flying and traveling in general.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kleibo said:

That's a hard pass for me. I don't want to test everyday on a cruise -  I have 3 cruises booked and I'll have to see what changes.  But that's a no go for me.

I'd never agree to that either ..... screw that. 

On 8/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, deweytrader said:

For the cruise lines sake 100 percent is the eay to go for now.  Minimize the amount of onboard testing, the testing is leading to problems.  Again I will stress there was zero social distancing and mask wearing on the Carnival Cruise.  Unfortunately I was at sea with no internet when the CDC released the new guidelines about masking up.  I would have masked up.

They would have to be cruises to nowhere then so that no one brought it back on board.  Whether others dont social distance or wear a mask doesn't prevent you from doing it on your own.  I dont need the CDC to tell me that.  I guess that you still wouldn't have masked up anyways since the guidelines were for places of low vaccination rates and high case numbers.  Cruise ships don't exactly fit those parameters now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

They would have to be cruises to nowhere then so that no one brought it back on board.  Whether others dont social distance or wear a mask doesn't prevent you from doing it on your own.  I dont need the CDC to tell me that.  I guess that you still wouldn't have masked up anyways since the guidelines were for places of low vaccination rates and high case numbers.  Cruise ships don't exactly fit those parameters now.

There have been cases on cruises to nowhere. People can test negative at boarding and the next moment turn positive 

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

There have been cases on cruises to nowhere. People can test negative at boarding and the next moment turn positive 

then i guess even setting the requirements to a 100 percent vaccinated wouldn't work either.  So much for that theory.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kleibo said:

Aare we going to take those tests after each time in a new port, each day,  And all crew as well?

Viking does this for all passengers, not sure for crew (probably).  They can do this onboard all their oceangoing cruise ships.  While I appreciate the emphasis on safety, nothing screams "NOT NORMAL" like being tested - for anything - every day.

10 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

CV is here to stay, but at some point hopefully it will be manageable.

I could argue that it's manageable now.  For those who are fully vaccinated, their chances of becoming seriously ill or dying from this virus is truly minimal - probably lower than the flu at this point.

• Like 2