Pt 2 I was positive on AOS 7/24

3 hours ago, soremekun said:

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do a great job of assisting now.  I wonder how much they will help passengers sailing after October 31, 2021.

Please post if you have that info.

I wonder how many private evacs they'll have to do between now and then. OP mentioned the transport company had 10 that day from Nassau. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the follow-up and I am glad everyone is doing well.

Question for the moderators: why was the original thread locked? I think most cruisers find this information extremely useful. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I wonder how many private evacs they'll have to do between now and then. OP mentioned the transport company had 10 that day from Nassau. 

That 10 likely included Celebrity Edge which had a port of call in Nassau that day with 7 positives.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mek said:

I sent an e-mail to my TA this evening about the insurance I purchased in October, 2019 when I booked the cruise we will be taking in November.  Since Covid wasn't even on the radar at that time, I'm not sure exactly what is covered.  That just might be the deal breaker for me - if we have to buy extra insurance on top of what we have already purchased it just might cost more than what I will lose if I just cancel the cruise.

Sometimes the TA does not really know the details of the policy. They can sell them, but they don’t deal with coverage or claims. The TA should be able to send you the actual certificate of coverage or a link to it so you can read the document.

Since you bought it in 2019, it probably won’t mention Covid at all, but you should be covered anyway because you bought it well before there were any restrictions. Call the underwriter if you still have questions.

4 hours ago, soremekun said:

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do a great job of assisting now.  I wonder how much they will help passengers sailing after October 31, 2021.

Please post if you have that info.

I’m pretty sure the current assistance plans were part of their agreement to return to sailing. They expire when the CSO is set to expire. No other plans have been announced, and I doubt that either company will continue them voluntarily. They are just too expensive to maintain.  Insurance is already required in some instances for unvaccinated passengers. By this time, vaccinated passengers see what can happen and can decide for themselves if they are comfortable sailing without it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, exm said:

Thanks for the follow-up and I am glad everyone is doing well.

Question for the moderators: why was the original thread locked? I think most cruisers find this information extremely useful. 

I read the original. Toward the end someone made a political reference, and the usual reactions followed. Those were removed, and the thread was locked perhaps to discourage such posts.

11 minutes ago, Babr said:

I read the original. Toward the end someone made a political reference, and the usual reactions followed. Those were removed, and the thread was locked perhaps to discourage such posts.

Yes that and also someone was dissing Fl and making absurd assumptions and stating them as facts. 

47 minutes ago, Babr said:

Sometimes the TA does not really know the details of the policy. They can sell them, but they don’t deal with coverage or claims. The TA should be able to send you the actual certificate of coverage or a link to it so you can read the document.

Since you bought it in 2019, it probably won’t mention Covid at all, but you should be covered anyway because you bought it well before there were any restrictions. Call the underwriter if you still have questions.

I do know that, but just starting with the TA - after all of this time, almost 2 years, I don't even have a copy of the insurance policy I purchased.

And it's still my opinion, that people who purchased cruises prior to the pandemic should be given additional options to cancel a cruise, even with a NRD. I mentioned that to my TA and will see where that gets me.  Probably not very far, but it's worth a try.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mek said:

I do know that, but just starting with the TA - after all of this time, I don't even have a copy of the insurance policy I purchased.

I have a policy from a TA for my Sept cruise and they sent me an email with a link to the insurance policy but I haven’t even looked at it.  Guess I should but it’s only a 3 night cruise so I don’t think I’ll be using it.  I’ve always bought insurance with every cruise and never needed to file a single claim.  Fingers crossed 🤞

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I have a policy from a TA for my Sept cruise and they sent me an email with a link to the insurance policy but I haven’t even looked at it.  Guess I should but it’s only a 3 night cruise so I don’t think I’ll be using it.  I’ve always bought insurance with every cruise and never needed to file a single claim.  Fingers crossed 🤞

We always buy insurance and have had to use it 2X - once for a cruise and another time for a land based vacation, so I figure I have probably broken even.

Even though I booked with a NRD, I thought I had all of the bases covered because I always get  pre-existing coverage, so other than simply changing my mind, I was good to go - then along came Covid.  This is a L&S for last November and up until a few days ago, I thought we were in good shape.  Now I'm have second thoughts that have nothing to do with any fears of Covid or the DV.

1 hour ago, mek said:

I do know that, but just starting with the TA - after all of this time, almost 2 years, I don't even have a copy of the insurance policy I purchased.

And it's still my opinion, that people who purchased cruises prior to the pandemic should be given additional options to cancel a cruise, even with a NRD. I mentioned that to my TA and will see where that gets me.  Probably not very far, but it's worth a try.

I had seven unused policies from cancelled cruises and applied four of them to upcoming cruises last week.  They were purchased through insuremytrip.com.   The original rates were honored instead of new, higher rates, though two of the cruises were more expensive than the original cruises and I had to pay the differences (also at the previous rates) of $25 and $56.  All four of the policies now include a “To Whom It May Concern” letter with all of the details of the policy and a statement that COVID will be considered to be the same as any other illness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mek said:

We always buy insurance and have had to use it 2X - once for a cruise and another time for a land based vacation, so I figure I have probably broken even.

Even though I booked with a NRD, I thought I had all of the bases covered because I always get  pre-existing coverage, so other than simply changing my mind, I was good to go - then along came Covid.  This is a L&S for last November and up until a few days ago, I thought we were in good shape.  Now I'm have second thoughts that have nothing to do with any fears of Covid or the DV.

Can you L&S again or is it a one time deal?  Will you be able to get your NRD back since it was pre-covid?

43 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Can you L&S again or is it a one time deal?  Will you be able to get your NRD back since it was pre-covid?

I thought L&S were over and pretty much a one time deal.  Don't know if I can get the NRD back.  I have two weeks to decide what to do, or attempt to do.

1 minute ago, mek said:

I thought L&S were over and pretty much a one time deal.  Don't know if I can get the NRD back.  I have two weeks to decide what to do, or attempt to do.

Good luck with everything.  I’m cruising next month (if it’s still a go) and feel pretty confident I’ll be safe and in good hands.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Good luck with everything.  I’m cruising next month (if it’s still a go) and feel pretty confident I’ll be safe and in good hands.  

Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I had seven unused policies from cancelled cruises and applied four of them to upcoming cruises last week.  They were purchased through insuremytrip.com.   The original rates were honored instead of new, higher rates, though two of the cruises were more expensive than the original cruises and I had to pay the differences (also at the previous rates) of $25 and $56.  All four of the policies now include a “To Whom It May Concern” letter with all of the details of the policy and a statement that COVID will be considered to be the same as any other illness.

Which company under insuremytrip.com? They are just a website. You still had an individual company that underwrote your trips. 

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That 10 likely included Celebrity Edge which had a port of call in Nassau that day with 7 positives.

We were in Cozumel the same day as the Edge but not in Freeport.  I think the additional transports were also from hotel guests.  Not sure.  They just state there were 10 transports leaving Freeport that day.  My jet had done one to Tampa before getting me.