Florida, restrictions and ccl vs rcl

Hi,

When I return to cruising I am looking for a ship that mandates vaccines where I can enjoy as close to a normal of a cruise as possible without masks indoors and with minimal social distancing.

it seems like the odyssey vs Mardi Gras are completely different experiences despite both being out of Florida with carnival operating a normal maskless cruise vs Royal with social distancing and masks whenever indoors

I know the cdc requires 95 percent vaccination for no masks indoors or under 95 percent with masks and testing.

I thought that ships out of Florida were not allowed to mandate vaccines and go the 95 percent route.  But it seems carnival is requiring vaccines which in turn seems like everyone on the Mardi Gras is enjoying a normal cruise without masks.

What’s the difference among royal, carnival, ncl and virgin ships out of Florida?  Are carnival, ncl and virgin ignoring the Florida no vaccine status requirement and abiding by the 95 percent cdc guidance for a normal cruise whereas Royal is going the under 95 percent with masks and testing and social distancing?

Thanks.

• Like 1

As I understand it the Florida law prevents a business from requiring you to prove vaccine status...but it appears that Royal and Celebrity have found a work around... They do not require you to prove vaccine status BUT...in Royal's protocol is you don't wish to share your vaccine card...they assume you are not vaccinated and require that you pay for various additional tests, have covid travel insurance that meets specific requirements, wear a mask everywhere but out side and in your cabin and if you want to go into a port you need to be part of a cruise sponsored excursion and this last restriction includes vaccinated traveling with unvaccinated. Royal is more family oriented than Celebrity which is more adult oriented. In Royal's case they limit the number of non vaccinated to less than 5%. Like Royal they ask if you are vaccinated... if you are willing to share your vaccine card..you are considered vaccinated...if not..okay you can go...unless they have reached their 5% quota... in which case you will not be allowed to book... and I assume you will not be allowed to board if this is not discovered until departure (this last point is my assumption). Now the 95% vaccinated level was established by the CDC. NCL is suing Florida because they want 100% and will require proof. If they followed the 'voluntary' approach of Royal and Celebrity they would be okay... but Celebrity can say they accept nonvaccinate...it is just they have a set number... NCL would have more trouble getting around voluntary sharing of vaccine status...since they will not accept any. Not sure what Carnival is doing.

Ncl and virgin are the only ones I think trying to do 100%

Carnival is at 95%, but allowing some exemptions that have to be applied for.

It voluntary to show your vaccine card, and it voluntary they can say no you cant board without it right now. 

Things change daily. I'm not sure I'd book on today's protocols as what if they change tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ncl and virgin are the only ones I think trying to do 100%

Carnival is at 95%, but allowing some exemptions that have to be applied for.

It voluntary to show your vaccine card, and it voluntary they can say no you cant board without it right now. 

Things change daily. I'm not sure I'd book on today's protocols as what if they change tomorrow. 

Agree, whats today may change tommorrow. Look what happened just last 2 weeks. Then read beside Underage Kids Carnival was also making some Vaccine exceptions with Adults for Religious or Medical reasons. Not sure other Cruise Lines are doing same

We sailed on Celebrity Edge and all adults except for one woman who just didn’t have all 14 days after second shot were vaccinated. There were kids, but not many. There was no masks (except in ports) and life onboard was pretty much normal except for 50% pax 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, whats today may change tommorrow. Look what happened just last 2 weeks. Then read beside Underage Kids Carnival was also making some Vaccine exceptions with Adults for Religious or Medical reasons. Not sure other Cruise Lines are doing same

While it may say that from what we can tell the exemptions have been younger children. The exemptions are tested to board and before debarking. Insurance required for unvaccinated out of texas and florida now over age 12. ..carnival same as rcl making it expensive to board unvaccinated as a adult. There are no automatic exemptions. Do you really want to book a cruise and not know until the last minute if you get a exemption. .people are complaining carnival has turned into Hal. Those are who is vaccinated and booking lol, a older crowd. Not a good time for families.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

I think one issue with the changing protocols..is that ..those of us who signed up back in ..say April...before US sailings were approved... assumed that the protocols would ease up over time...not get more restrictive. So we started out reluctantly accepting testing ...vaccine requirements, social distancing and perhaps some masking... assuming... somewhat naively... that these would all change for the better... and by the time we sailed......whenever that was... that things would be almost normal. I don't think many anticipated the prospect that we could be facing more stringent requirements

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kearney said:

I think one issue with the changing protocols..is that ..those of us who signed up back in ..say April...before US sailings were approved... assumed that the protocols would ease up over time...not get more restrictive. So we started out reluctantly accepting testing ...vaccine requirements, social distancing and perhaps some masking... assuming... somewhat naively... that these would all change for the better... and by the time we sailed......whenever that was... that things would be almost normal. I don't think many anticipated the prospect that we could be facing more stringent requirements

Correct -- it was looking like the pandemic would soon be over but, alas, it came back in the form of Delta.  I still think cruising with all the protocols and precautions in place, is still far safer than most land activities at this point in time. It is also reassuring to know that sailing on RCI before Oct gives the added security of RCI making sure you get home free of charge should you test positive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kearney said:

In Royal's case they limit the number of non vaccinated to less than 5%. 

I don't believe that Royal is limiting the number of non-vaccinated to less than 5%.  If they were going to do so, they would not be doing the test cruises and they would not have the vaccinated, non-vaccinated areas.

RC has a lot of families onboard and the 5% max of non-vaccinated would not follow their marketing plans.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, katiel53 said:

I don't believe that Royal is limiting the number of non-vaccinated to less than 5%.  If they were going to do so, they would not be doing the test cruises and they would not have the vaccinated, non-vaccinated areas.

RC has a lot of families onboard and the 5% max of non-vaccinated would not follow their marketing plans.

I had intended to type Celebrity...but discovered the error too late to correct.

Number one.....remember this.  The pandemic will not end for a few years.  

Number two....If you are vaccinated, than your cruise will be normal.  The unvaccinated are having the unnormal cruises.

Number three.  Carnival is a family cruise line, so therefore, they either will stop families from going that are under 12

Number four, it is an executive order that requires a mask on ships and planes.  The cruise lines are working around it by having vaccinated shows, and dining areas only, 

Lastly, the Florida laws are to protect the constitutional rights of people to choose. 

IF you want to go on a cruise, than go......because wherever you live, you most likely will be exposed more easily than on a ship.  Since February I was on 6 different vacations, including two international trips.....with four of the after a vaccine.  Your vaccine protects you, and so go.  Stop trying to pick a vacation, about masks and vaccines......it's not going to be anywhere near the 100% perfection people are looking for.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Number one.....remember this.  The pandemic will not end for a few years.  

Number two....If you are vaccinated, than your cruise will be normal.  The unvaccinated are having the unnormal cruises.

Number three.  Carnival is a family cruise line, so therefore, they either will stop families from going that are under 12

Number four, it is an executive order that requires a mask on ships and planes.  The cruise lines are working around it by having vaccinated shows, and dining areas only, 

Lastly, the Florida laws are to protect the constitutional rights of people to choose. 

IF you want to go on a cruise, than go......because wherever you live, you most likely will be exposed more easily than on a ship.  Since February I was on 6 different vacations, including two international trips.....with four of the after a vaccine.  Your vaccine protects you, and so go.  Stop trying to pick a vacation, about masks and vaccines......it's not going to be anywhere near the 100% perfection people are looking for.

I am vaccinated, yet my cruise will most definitely not be "normal" on Royal unless Covid and the DV magically disappear between now and November.  There still always a chance that I might test positive right before sailing or even worse, test positive during the cruise and be quarantined and sent home.  Sorry, but that isn't what I booked in October, 2019 - long before Covid, and quite frankly, it isn't anything I'm interested in doing until this crap is over.

I'm not concerned about being exposed on a cruise ship vs land.  It's all of the other hoops people are made to jump through that are problematic to me.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mek said:

I am vaccinated, yet my cruise will most definitely not be "normal" on Royal unless Covid and the DV magically disappear between now and November.  There still always a chance that I might test positive right before sailing or even worse, test positive during the cruise and be quarantined and sent home.  Sorry, but that isn't what I booked in October, 2019 - long before Covid, and quite frankly, it isn't anything I'm interested in doing until this crap is over.

I'm not concerned about being exposed on a cruise ship vs land.  It's all of the other hoops people are made to jump through that are problematic to me.

Well since you are vaccinated you won't be tested on a cruise that departs from the US unless you are having symptoms and then you have to voluntarily submit yourself for testing.  Yes you could test positive before the cruise but that can happen prior to any cruise.  

I understand not wanting to mask up but that is just a decision you have to make, it won't stop our family.   Shrug it each their own.

Edited by mauraoel

27 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Well since you are vaccinated you won't be tested on a cruise that departs from the US unless you are having symptoms and then you have to voluntarily submit yourself for testing.  Yes you could test positive before the cruise but that can happen prior to any cruise.  

I understand not wanting to mask up but that is just a decision you have to make, it won't stop our family.   Shrug it each their own.

Only time will tell what the next few months holds fro cruising.  If you are cruising in August - you kind of know what to expect.  My cruise isn't until November - any and all things - good and bad - are possible by then.

I booked this cruise long before Covid but with a NRD, so I'm stuck with it.  I didn't book anything else during the pandemic and would not be booking anything right now either. I want a stress free vacation - which cruising is definitely not offering right now.

Edited by mek
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mek said:

DITTO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

Only time will tell what the next few months holds fro cruising.  If you are cruising in August - you kind of know what to expect.  My cruise isn't until November - any and all things - good and bad - are possible by then.

I booked this cruise long before Covid but with a NRD, so I'm stuck with it.  I didn't book anything else during the pandemic and would not be booking anything right now either. I want a stress free vacation - which cruising is definitely not offering right now.

The irony is that we have done land based vacation during the last year and for me they weren't stress free.  We rented vacation houses but guess who really didn't get a vacation someone (me) still had to cook, wash laundry,  and keep the house clean everyone else had a vacation but I didn't,  our next two cruises will be my vacation,  Papaw will cop a squat on the pool deck and be the Littles watcher, I am getting a massage.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

The irony is that we have done land based vacation during the last year and for me they weren't stress free.  We rented vacation houses but guess who really didn't get a vacation someone (me) still had to cook, wash laundry,  and keep the house clean everyone else had a vacation but I didn't,  our next two cruises will be my vacation,  Papaw will cop a squat on the pool deck and be the Littles watcher, I am getting a massage.

LOL - definitely not saying this to be snarky - honestly, I feel for you, but why were you the only one taking care of everyone?  Eat out, get carry-out, or tell everyone over the age of 16 that taking turns fixing meals and washing dishes is expected.  Not much to putting a load of laundry in, but the family would be responsible for taking stuff out of the dryer and as far as keeping things clean - well again, that would be a group project.

Enjoy the massage!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mek said:

LOL - definitely not saying this to be snarky - honestly, I feel for you, but why were you the only one taking care of everyone?  Eat out, get carry-out, or tell everyone over the age of 16 that taking turns fixing meals and washing dishes is expected.  Not much to putting a load of laundry in, but the family would be responsible for taking stuff out of the dryer and as far as keeping things clean - well again, that would be a group project.

Enjoy the massage!

Some good advice here.  My mom told me to never buy a summer home because for a woman it's "just a different kitchen sink" while the rest of the family has a real vacation. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, mek said:

Well, Covid will not disappear for a few years.....and the Delta variant is already being replaced with a new variant, most likely will be named soon as the Echo variant.  I understand your statement, but remember that skipping vacations for 3-4 years is still a choice.  My choice is to continue to going on vacations, and work around whatever rules are presented.  A vacation not exactly normal, is better than a vacation in my back yard. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, Covid will not disappear for a few years.....and the Delta variant is already being replaced with a new variant, most likely will be named soon as the Echo variant.  I understand your statement, but remember that skipping vacations for 3-4 years is still a choice.  My choice is to continue to going on vacations, and work around whatever rules are presented.  A vacation not exactly normal, is better than a vacation in my back yard. 

I completely understand what you are saying, but I have no intentions of skipping vacations - just cruises if there are too many hoops, restrictions, protocols .... call them whatever you want, for me to have a relaxing, carefree time.

And I have a wonderful backyard - LOL.

20 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

the Delta variant is already being replaced with a new variant, most likely will be named soon as the Echo variant. 

Actually, they're already up to lambda, which would make the next variant mu.

28 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Totally done with Staycations!!!

Celebrity is asking about vaccination status (including about mixed doses) through the booking agent side of things. They should have no surprises at the port and should be very close to 100% vaccinated. 

Presumably NCL could deny a booking to anyone unvaccinated and do any verification outside of the state of Florida, but that's pure speculation.  

It might be a good idea for Royal and Celebrity HQ folks...making the decisions on protocols... to get together do do a 'best practices session'... looks like the Royal pre testing process works better than what Celebrity tried to implement. Also... looks like there are different types of tests available..causing some confusion over what Royal will accept... good idea to spell that out more clearly. And it would be great..if they could find a way to allow passengers to click to a link that would help them locate testing services near them.. at least in the US if not other countries. Celebrity calling to check out vaccine status upfront..might be a good idea for Royal to do as well. This might help them get a early idea of the % of non vaccinated that they can expect.  Anyway after a few months of experience...now might be a good time to reconsider their processes and how to learn from each other on what works best...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

We are retired so basically we are on vacation 52 weeks a year, or it feels like it living in Arizona. We can sit out by the pool with no worries about chair hogs. Sure we have to grill are own meals, make our own drinks and the other things staying at home requires. We eat like kings, drink ourselves silly, thousands of dollars less than the cost of a cruise, plus air and hotel. If we want to get away, Vegas is only 4 1/2 hours away and Cali is about 6 hours away.