NCL Epic from Barcelona

Nolsie

Hi everyone,

I am really struggling to find some information about the Epic sailing from Barcelona this summer, so was hoping that the community on here could weigh in with some answers.

Basically, my wife and I are UK nationals, and we are looking at booking this sailing as we just need to get out of the house. Does anybody know how the port visits to Italy will work, given current restrictions mean that you need to isolate for 5 days. Would we be prevented from embarking, would we be made to stay on the ship, or if we are on an NCL excursion in a bubble, would that be OK ?

And do NCL offer PCR tests as part of cruise fare, like some other lines do ?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Nolsie.

1 hour ago, Nolsie said:

Hi everyone,

I am really struggling to find some information about the Epic sailing from Barcelona this summer, so was hoping that the community on here could weigh in with some answers.

Basically, my wife and I are UK nationals, and we are looking at booking this sailing as we just need to get out of the house. Does anybody know how the port visits to Italy will work, given current restrictions mean that you need to isolate for 5 days. Would we be prevented from embarking, would we be made to stay on the ship, or if we are on an NCL excursion in a bubble, would that be OK ?

And do NCL offer PCR tests as part of cruise fare, like some other lines do ?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Nolsie.

Hi Nolsie, I’m from Malvern just down the road, we are booked on the first Epic cruise out of Barcelona on the 5th September.

We know that we have to do a independent PCR test within 72 hours before boarding ship, then you are allowed to travel by vessel to Italy for tourism, there are two main problems we can think of: 

1/ we are arriving in Barcelona on the 1st September so will have to book a test on the Friday there.

2/ Brits getting on at Rome, are they going to isolate in Italy 5 days before boarding ship? 
We are considering flying in on the Sunday morning and going straight to ship, we can alter that because we haven’t booked a hotel yet, we will know more on Thursday from the government so stressful times…

• Like 1

I'm on the getaway out of Rome in October and I have been looking into the 5 day quarantine us brits need to do, If you are in the country for less the 36hours and are traveling via private transfer then no need to quarantine, however i'm not sure how this works for port visits.

@Nolsie NCL offer a free PCR test a few days before disembarkation which we need to re-enter the UK

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cybergremlin said:

I'm on the getaway out of Rome in October and I have been looking into the 5 day quarantine us brits need to do, If you are in the country for less the 36hours and are traveling via private transfer then no need to quarantine, however i'm not sure how this works for port visits.

@Nolsie NCL offer a free PCR test a few days before disembarkation which we need to re-enter the UK

14 minutes ago, cybergremlin said:

I think that the independent test within 72 hours is to combat us travelling to Italy on a vessel, I just can’t see how it can work in Italy by air? 
NCL have got to start giving information out to the British because it’s not going to work.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments.

It just sounds too tricky. Was on the phone with an independent travel agent, and they werent so sure. They did say that the PCR test offered by NCL is done at the port prior to embarkation, so would have to stump up for a further test prior to travel to Spain.

Think we may go down the MSC route and do the British Isles - just too fluid.

Thanks again.

Nolsie

8 minutes ago, Nolsie said:

Thanks all for the comments.

It just sounds too tricky. Was on the phone with an independent travel agent, and they werent so sure. They did say that the PCR test offered by NCL is done at the port prior to embarkation, so would have to stump up for a further test prior to travel to Spain.

Think we may go down the MSC route and do the British Isles - just too fluid.

Thanks again.

Nolsie

Virgin or P&O will be better 

I have sailed P&O before, and just wasnt that impressed to be honest Trimone. It was on an older ship mind, so that may have done it. And I am holding off Virgin for now. Just not sure what to make of that offering, so will wait to read some reviews I think.

MSC would be new, the Virtuosa is a new ship, lots of features, so it looks OK. Just would have preferred heading out to the Med, but just seem like so much hassle.

Complete change of heart on this. After speaking with an NCL cruise consultant, we have decided to book on the sailing on Epic out of Barcelona on September 5th after all.

They mentioned that we should be able to do excursions, given that we are transitting through the country, and that the PCR test will be done up to 72 hours prior to boarding, so should cover the airline requirements as well.

So all booked and keeping fingers crossed that this goes ahead.

Cheers

Nolsie

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nolsie said:

Complete change of heart on this. After speaking with an NCL cruise consultant, we have decided to book on the sailing on Epic out of Barcelona on September 5th after all.

They mentioned that we should be able to do excursions, given that we are transitting through the country, and that the PCR test will be done up to 72 hours prior to boarding, so should cover the airline requirements as well.

So all booked and keeping fingers crossed that this goes ahead.

Cheers

Nolsie

Will see you there

Hi, glad you have booked! We are also on the epic on the 5th.

I agree that it isn’t very clear on what is happening with Italy but with everything changing so frequently I reckon any guidance would soon be out of date whatever they said. 

We are arriving on the 3rd so based on current guidelines would need to do a PCR the Thursday afternoon earliest in the UK to cover us for getting on the ship.

I am still not sure how it will work with Italy but if I am honest I will just be happy to get away and if we ended up not being able to get off at some of the ports then it wouldn’t be the complete end of the world. I’ve so far tried not to plan too much as didn’t want to be disappointed if we didn’t go but not sure when to start looking into port activities a bit more! 

We don’t know what to do at the moment, we have flights booked for 1st but can move them, we haven’t yet booked a hotel, we could arrive on the 1st hire a car and book a beach resort away from the city, or go on BA 6.15 am on the 5th and go straight to ship? Who knows 🙈

I am on the Getaway from Rome on Sept 13th and I am nervous as heck because I cant do the quarantine if its still in place.

I am wondering if the rule on transitting within 36 hours means that as long as we dont use public transport, as long as we board the ship within 36 hours of arriving in Italy, we'd be ok?

10 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I am on the Getaway from Rome on Sept 13th and I am nervous as heck because I cant do the quarantine if its still in place.

I am wondering if the rule on transitting within 36 hours means that as long as we dont use public transport, as long as we board the ship within 36 hours of arriving in Italy, we'd be ok?

I don’t think it does, I think you have to qualify those 5 days, once you land at the airport it’s quarantine and testing, the only thing that could happen is Italy removes the rule on or before the 30th August, as we are allowing Italian citizens into the U.K.

We stay in Menton when the racing is in Monaco and the Italians have a tank at the border with France, it’s the Mussolini attitude?

2 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I don’t think it does, I think you have to qualify those 5 days, once you land at the airport it’s quarantine and testing, the only thing that could happen is Italy removes the rule on or before the 30th August, as we are allowing Italian citizens into the U.K.

We stay in Menton when the racing is in Monaco and the Italians have a tank at the border with France, it’s the Mussolini attitude?

Apparently NCL have been telling people that if they get a transfer to the ship, they dont have to quarantine

7 hours ago, Nolsie said:

I have sailed P&O before, and just wasnt that impressed to be honest Trimone. It was on an older ship mind, so that may have done it. And I am holding off Virgin for now. Just not sure what to make of that offering, so will wait to read some reviews I think.

MSC would be new, the Virtuosa is a new ship, lots of features, so it looks OK. Just would have preferred heading out to the Med, but just seem like so much hassle.

Much prefer NCL but taking on board your worries, the MSC Virtuosa  is leaving Southampton for the med on September 12th.  Its found under the Northern Europe cruises on the site and is all inclusive on this sailing (water, coffee, in dining room, tips and premium drinks package).  We also found it on the Voyagers discount website so got an extra 10% off plus obc

11 hours ago, Trimone said:

That won’t wash at customs and immigration 

I'm just not sure what to do. The Peace of Mind is 15 days before you can cancel for free but the rules for entering Italy are ending/renewing 14 days before my Sept 13th cruise, 1 day short. So it's a lot of risk!

Edited by ScratchTheRat

This might help you all, I posted this for our HAL cruise in September, just pick and choose and double check which forms you need to fill in. I am not sure if UK have other rules.

All as there seems to be some confusion regarding the necessary COVID forms for each country and I am based in Europe and its raining I thought I would add the websites needed to enable all of you to enjoy your cruises. 

HAL seems to have give the impression that these are for Visas, they are not and if you don’t fill in the appropriate form they won’t be able to help you

Okay here goes.

Italy 

https://app.euplf.eu/ pls note one for each person, even though you can add people.

Croatia

Proof that you have had vaccination more than 14 days ago.

Montenegro

Proof that you have had vaccination more than 14 days ago.

Greece

https://travel.gov.gr/#/ pls note one for each couple

France

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Certificate-of-international-travel#from2

This is a new one for me basically it is just a health declaration, in addition of course to your proof of vaccination.

Spain

https://www.spth.gob.es/

Portugal 

https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card

Finally this one is for all of to check my information yourself. I will however not take any responsibility for anyone not getting the appropriate forms filled in. These websites are of course not applicable to all of you some of you lucky ones are B2B2B2B whatever etc. have a great cruise all of you.

https://visiteurope.com/en/covid-19-information-page/

Happy planning

Rosalyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trimone said:

Get it in writing off NCL about transportation from airport ? That’s the only guarantee 

I got written confirmation from the Italian Embassy today that the quarantine WOULD be necessary regardless. 😞

1 minute ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I got written confirmation from the Italian Embassy today that the quarantine WOULD be necessary regardless. 😞

More BS from NCL that could get people into serious troubles 

We’ve booked flights, transfers and 7 night Norwegian Epic cruise from Rome on 8 September. The whole package is booked with NCL.

If 5 days quarantine is required in Rome on arrival, NCL will just have to cancel the holiday and refund our money. We’ll be disappointed but no risk as such.

6 minutes ago, Notts1964 said:

We’ve booked flights, transfers and 7 night Norwegian Epic cruise from Rome on 8 September. The whole package is booked with NCL.

If 5 days quarantine is required in Rome on arrival, NCL will just have to cancel the holiday and refund our money. We’ll be disappointed but no risk as such.

The issue is you won't know if the quarantine is needed until 30th August when the rules are reviewed and that will be too late to get a refund from NCL as you'll be outside the 15 day peace of mind policy. So you're in the same boat as me. IF you wait, you lose 90% of what you've paid :(

2 minutes ago, Trimone said:

It’s a nightmare…..if they cancel I’m finished with them, life’s too short 

It's not about THEM cancelling. The cruise will go ahead, just without me XD - It's only UK guests affected and surely with NCL the amount of UK guests will be rather small. My only solace is that the media seemed shocked that the Italian PM extended the rule, so if it was shocking THIS month, it would be absolutely shocking as hell for him to extend it into September.

I think I'm confident the quarantine rule will be removed on 30th August, at least for fully vaccinated if not everyone.