Aren't Cruise Lines Proving Vaccines Work?

I was just listening to the La Lido Loca vlog on youtube.  He just got off the Celebrity edge and said it was a 98% vaccinated ship.  They announced every covid case and by the end of the week, there were 7.  The ship sails with 2900 passengers at full capacity.  For arguments sake here, lets say they sailed with 1500.  Those 7 positives represent .4% of that of number. So 99.6% of passengers didnt get covid thanks to vaccines.  Now I know what some might be thinking and that how do you know they did not transmit it to others that will test positive this week.  So lets bring that number to 50.  Thats 3.3 %.  96.7% of the vaccinated passengers were fine if 50 people tested positive after the cruise.  Am I off with this thinking?  Shouldnt the cruise lines and the cdc be touting these numbers as proof?  I am no expert so curious what others think. 

• Like 6

In my opinion I do not think at this time it is worth the hassle. I would not risk my family for a cruise vacation right now.  After 57 cruises, we can afford to wait.  I love cruising and have been blessed to have seen the world but in my opinion the stress, risk and aggravation that comes with traveling is not worth it.  As for the cruise lines i find their protocols to be very inconsistent and that in many instances (celebrity edge this weekend for example) they are changing procedures haphazardly even though there may be a rationale for what they are doing.  I want the cruise lines to survive and i certainly respect those that have decided to sail.  I appreciate your question and I hope the replies are respectful and the discussion is

polite because there is too much divisiveness on these boards and its sad as its nit the way it used to be. Then again nothing is.  Smooth sailing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I agree, and you couldn't ask for a better "test" than the setup of sailing with 95% vaccinated cruisers in a controlled environment that is known from the past to spread disease easily.  Hearing of no major illnesses, just breakthrough cases or unvaccinated children but asymptomatic or minor illness.  Let's just hope it stays this way.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I agree, and you couldn't ask for a better "test" than the setup of sailing with 95% vaccinated cruisers in a controlled environment that is known from the past to spread disease easily.  Hearing of no major illnesses, just breakthrough cases or unvaccinated children but asymptomatic or minor illness.  Let's just hope it stays this way.

Yep.  We heard more about flu or other virus outbreaks on board than about COVID.  That is very good news.  Crossing fingers that it stays that way.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

Yep.  We heard more about flu or other virus outbreaks on board than about COVID.  That is very good news.  Crossing fingers that it stays that way.

Seriously, all I ever heard about was Norovirus, pre-Covid. I imagine it’s horrible to have, personally never experienced it in my 14 cruises, but don’t want it. Wish we could go back to that. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Seriously, all I ever heard about was Norovirus, pre-Covid. I imagine it’s horrible to have, personally never experienced it in my 14 cruises, but don’t want it. Wish we could go back to that. 

Yeah, we never gotten sick on a cruise either... knock on wood.  lol  Yes, I wish we could go back to that for sure.  Hopefully someday soon.

• Like 3

The cruise lines seem to be managing just fine.  Nobody is dying or being airlifted off of the ships.  People know there is a risk of getting the delta variant when they travel, vaccinated or not.    People should realize that if they test positive, they will have added expenses.  

The cruise lines are doing fine.  They aren't perfect, but then nothing is.  A few covid positive people per cruise isn't a big deal. 

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 14

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The cruise lines seem to be managing just fine.  Nobody is dying or being airlifted off of the ships.  People know there is a risk of getting the delta variant when they travel, vaccinated or not.    People should realize that if they test positive, they will have added expenses.  

The cruise lines are doing fine.  They aren't perfect, but then nothing is.  A few covid positive people per cruise isn't a big deal. 

Yeah that was my main point.  The headline from the other day of 6 people getting covid on a Royal ship should have been ONLY 6 people got covid.  But thats just me

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, historyteacher41877 said:

Yeah that was my main point.  The headline from the other day of 6 people getting covid on a Royal ship should have been ONLY 6 people got covid.  But thats just me

That doesn't make them money so that is why.  Negativity sells.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

My father-in-law had Noro on a Holland America cruise years ago. He was confined to his cabin for three days - luckily it was a balcony. After that I decided we would only travel in a balcony cabin 😄

• Like 4

Just now, BrotherCraig said:

That doesn't make them money so that is why.  Negativity sells.  

Negativity definitely sells for the media, but I’m thinking cruise lines want positivity? Prolly why they keep things hush hush. Like on my Horizon cruise on the July 18th sailing, there wasn’t a single mention of any one having Covid. And for the record, I came back fine and it’s been over a week. So, no news is good news? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snowballs mom said:

My father-in-law had Noro on a Holland America cruise years ago. He was confined to his cabin for three days - luckily it was a balcony. After that I decided we would only travel in a balcony cabin 😄

Don’t blame ya! Balconies are the only way I cruise. I’ll spend hours out there in the morning and hours at night before bed. Won’t cruise any other way! Sorry your daddy in law experienced that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Don’t blame ya! Balconies are the only way I cruise. I’ll spend hours out there in the morning and hours at night before bed. Won’t cruise any other way! Sorry your daddy in law experienced that. 

My mother-in-law has a really nice picture of him smiling on the balcony, wrapped in a blanket, with a glacier behind him.

Just now, snowballs mom said:

My mother-in-law has a really nice picture of him smiling on the balcony, wrapped in a blanket, with a glacier behind him.

Awww man! You’re talking Alaska! Balcony an absolute must for Alaska! Especially when in Glacier Bay! Favorite cruise ever! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They are proving vaccines are working and also proving vaccines alone are not sufficient.

Nothing will ever be 100% perfect, especially in medicine.  Unfortunately, people still get sick and die from curable illnesses all the time. As we learn to live with COVID-19 and it becomes endemic, vaccination will and has brought the risk down to a level that we are able to live with. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Nothing will ever be 100% perfect, especially in medicine.  Unfortunately, people still get sick and die from curable illnesses all the time. As we learn to live with COVID-19 and it becomes endemic, vaccination will and has brought the risk down to a level that we are able to live with. 

The majority of the world is not close to being vaccinated. I hope we never learn to live with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

In my opinion I do not think at this time it is worth the hassle. I would not risk my family for a cruise vacation right now.  After 57 cruises, we can afford to wait.  I love cruising and have been blessed to have seen the world but in my opinion the stress, risk and aggravation that comes with traveling is not worth it.  As for the cruise lines i find their protocols to be very inconsistent and that in many instances (celebrity edge this weekend for example) they are changing procedures haphazardly even though there may be a rationale for what they are doing.  I want the cruise lines to survive and i certainly respect those that have decided to sail.  I appreciate your question and I hope the replies are respectful and the discussion is

polite because there is too much divisiveness on these boards and its sad as its nit the way it used to be. Then again nothing is.  Smooth sailing.

Covid is here to stay.  Like the flu, covid will be a part of the annual vaccine routine.  And, we need to learn to just live with a new reality.  To not do what you enjoy is not living life to its fullest. I hope you see my point of view.  🤗

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, joelheather said:

Covid is here to stay.  Like the flu, covid will be a part of the annual vaccine routine.  And, we need to learn to just live with a new reality.  To not do what you enjoy is not living life to its fullest. I hope you see my point of view.  🤗

I have same view. Life is extremely short. Live it every day cuz you wont be here long

• Like 5

Where did all those people on CC just a few months ago that insisted they would be sailing unvaccinated day one and that cruislines would not dare make vaccines mandatory or there would would be hell to pay? Disappeared like a fart in the wind. Let's hope they keep these safety measures in place for as long as it takes.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, joelheather said:

I don't know about you, but I don't get polio vaccine, smallpox, etc, every year.

This pandemic isn't close to over, and I doubt it will be another 100 years before the next one. We can do better. We have to.

I agree there will be a new normal, like it or not.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know about you, but I don't get polio vaccine, smallpox, etc, every year.

This pandemic isn't close to over, and I doubt it will be another 100 years before the next one. We can do better. We have to.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I guess my dentist is very thorough then😜

A direct answer to the specific question, no. They are proving cruise ships are just like everywhere else. They (Carnival) are not disclosing cases. Unless someone says something about it, you will not know. Plus, cruise ships don't want to have to do mass testing because then it will get out to the news more. The more they don't know the better the cruise lines are. 

• Like 2