Carnival - Port Canaveral disembarking questions

jk928

We are going to be on the Mardi Gras next month (9/4) and our flight departs at 12:20pm at MCO airport. Carnival recommends flights leaving no earlier than 12:50pm. We are Platinum and will try to self disembark. Has anyone taken a taxi from Port Canaveral to MCO? Are taxis usually waiting? What is the average cost? I was going to arrange a dedicated car service, but a little worried that they won’t show on time and be reliable as I know some of the services were impacted by COVID. Another option would be an Uber. We also have TSA precheck to hopefully help through the security lines at the airport. I would appreciate input for those that traveled from Port Canaveral recently. 

All depends on when you can get off the ship. If there is a medical emergency, you could be delayed until 11AM or later to get off regardless of status. You could run into traffic on 528 or an accident. I would arrange private transportation (not a shared shuttle). Most in the MCO area are extremely reliable. Call them and see if you talk to someone or they return your call quickly. Do not email them. The other issue is mask requirements and Uber/Lyft drivers limited. We ran into it last week in Orlando. Very few drivers and surge pricing because of supply/demand. Be prepared is all anyone can tell you. 

Another issue is the airlines there Sunday and today that canceled 100s of flights. Didn't matter what time you got there, there were no flights for those passengers. Its becoming more of the norm than the exception.

A taxi from port Canaveral to orlando would be expensive. It's like taking a taxi from Galveston to houston, kinda far.

Maybe a uber?

So many things going wrong lately, I cant imagine cutting it close. I'm a worrier.

29 minutes ago, jk928 said:

We are going to be on the Mardi Gras next month (9/4) and our flight departs at 12:20pm at MCO airport. Carnival recommends flights leaving no earlier than 12:50pm. We are Platinum and will try to self disembark. Has anyone taken a taxi from Port Canaveral to MCO? Are taxis usually waiting? What is the average cost? I was going to arrange a dedicated car service, but a little worried that they won’t show on time and be reliable as I know some of the services were impacted by COVID. Another option would be an Uber. We also have TSA precheck to hopefully help through the security lines at the airport. I would appreciate input for those that traveled from Port Canaveral recently. 

I would prebook a shuttle for sure….my recommendations would be:

Cruise Control Transportation 

Cortrans Shuttle

Cocoa Beach Shuttle

I've cruised out of Port Canaveral and used Cortrans Shuttle.  I chose the earliest shuttle appointment time and got to the airport in plenty of time for my flight.  I would have no issue using them again.  They were inexpensive, on time, and we got to the airport quickly. There might also be an option to use Uber.  I would have no problem booking a 12:20 MCO departure flight for a cruise out of Port Canaveral.

Last cruise we had on Carnival debarked at Port Canaveral. We had an 11:30am flight we made relatively easily. We chose to take an Uber from the port to the airport. Was pretty much a no fuss no muss trip. Fortunately, no delays with the ship returning, nor TSA or check-in issues once we arrived at MCO. Probably would not book a flight at that time post Covid, but an Uber ride was pretty efficient for us. I don't recall the cost though.

Why are you cutting your time so close?  Given the possibility of traffic delays and changes in flight schedules, I don't think your desire to do this is a world class choice.  

Do you have Clear? To use at airport? Fly first class? Super Golden Platinum Triple-Diamond Elite flyer?

That'd help...

I have Clear and I fly a lot....and live at Pt Canaveral and MCO is my home airport....so

I'd hire a private car through Blacklane. I like them. More expensive, but never an issue world wide. Seriously. They'll be there before you are on the dock and since private, you are their only concern. They'll get you there. Get you right to the door, no sweat.

If you have Clear or any of the above along with a dedicated car, I (me) could do it in an hour and 15 or less from Port Canaveral, and you don't want me driving you......so call it an hour and 45 with someone who drives fairly normal

Posted (edited)

MG is on its FIRST 'covid cruise' RIGHT NOW

how the 'get off' process will work NOW versus THEN is a complete unknown ......

check back next week and even THEN expect changes . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:27 PM, jk928 said:

If you want an extremely reliable private car service, we have used Tony Hinds for over 15 years on our minimum of yearly trips to Orlando.  He has never, ever been a second late, even when our flights have been delayed.  If he is double booked because your flight was changed, he will find someone to get you no matter what. He has a large network of sons and associates that will come get you if there are problems.  One time our plane was delayed from mid afternoon to the wee morning hours.  He was there when we got there. He keeps track of flights and knows when you will land.

When he has picked us up at the port or hotel to go back to the airport, he has always been waiting for us.  He has never been a minute late in 15+ years.

His communication is outstanding and prices are reasonable and in line with other private companies.  

He doesn't advertise much because word of mouth, especially from the DIS boards, keeps him very, very busy.

Here is his facebook page if you want to check him out.  We will be using him for our cruise next August. With covid curtailing travel so much, I have missed seeing his smiling face standing at baggage claim when we arrive.  Tony is always the perfect beginning to a vacation (or end.)

https://www.facebook.com/tonyhtransportation/?ref=page_internal

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2021 at 7:09 PM, Capt_BJ said:

I'd hire a private car through Blacklane

quick check shows them more than 2X UBER price .......

They're not cheap. I said so

But, like a limo, the driver will be waiting. The driver will text his arrival before you get off the ship.

But the big thing, if time is your issue, it's a private car and driver, ordered in advance that will be there waiting for you when you disembark. He will load everything and it's a luxury ride on top of it. Driver will drop you directly to your airline door, not after dropping off other passengers.

Uber, you have to order and wait for one available....Port Canaveral/Merritt Island isn't a large metropolis, if we have 3-4 ubers floating around at one time, that's a lot

The issue here was time, money was never mentioned. If I had to be fast, this is how I'd be fast to MCO.

Edited by EngIceDave

Posted (edited)

Thank you for all the responses. We are trying to get back home by a certain time that afternoon. If it doesn’t happen, we understand and are willing to be rebooked later that day or the next day if we miss our 12:20 flight. We are flying Delta to Detroit and have first class tickets. We also have TSA precheck. Timing was the most important factor and not the cost as that was why I asked about waiting taxis. I will check again after Mardi Gras docks this weekend and get feedback on how it was handled.

Edited by jk928