New Covid Policy - Some of you will be forfeiting your $$$

2 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I'm sorry how I quoted you.  My comment was really for lazydayz which you had quoted and somehow I messed it up.  I think if people want to get tested at the port, that's on them if they wait until boarding time.

I wouldn't wait as I posted originally. 

I could even live with 4 days prior, but 3 days, IMHO, is ridiculous. Most people fly in one or two days before and that leaves so little wiggle room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

To board the Adventure, they tested everybody so I don't think the numbers were low.  

I understand the logistics involved, but if you want your business to survive, you do what is necessary.  Sending your customers out to do needless testing is not exactly making Royal my top choice these days.  

And it really is so unnecessary because it's possible to become positive after the test and still be able to board.  Total waste of my time and maybe $'s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mek said:

I certainly hope this is a wake-up call for those who have not been vaccinated. My husband and I were vaccinated back in late winter, but the majority of our family and a few friends are not. I don't even try to persuade them anymore to get the jab.  Their minds are made up and I don't think anything is going to change their minds.  Very sad.

Right there with you but if this is the case in your family, I would respectfully suggest that a gathering of 20 of them at your home JUST before your cruise might be rolling a very expensive pair of dice?  That could potentially be a lot of unvaccinated exposure.  

• Like 3

Just now, poocher said:

Right there with you but if this is the case in your family, I would respectfully suggest that a gathering of 20 of them at your home JUST before your cruise might be rolling a very expensive pair of dice?  That could potentially be a lot of unvaccinated exposure.  

Ok - say I get tested Thanksgiving morning, which comes back negative and allows me to cruise and then I have family over for dinner and catch whatever variant might be spreading by that time.  That is just how stupidly unnecessary pre-cruise testing is - at least IMO - people can test negative and still be positive on the ship.

And when I got vaccinated I made a promise to myself that I would never live my life like I did between March 2020 - March 2021.  We had no family get togethers for any holidays and I lost a year of my 6 year old grandson's life.  I did everything I was supposed to do - followed all of the rules.  I won't isolate myself from my family again and have been around them constantly since this March and will continue to do so.  I believe the vaccine is effective enough to keep me from seriously getting ill. 

The only reason I even have this cruise booked is because it was a L&S from 2020, that I booked in 2019 - long before Covid, it's not like I booked something during the pandemic, which if that had been the case, would prevent me from being upset about anything.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I feel that once one has booked a cruise then one has a strong obligation to protect the lives and vacation of the others who will also be on the cruise.  Socializing indoors with unvaccinated people, without a mask after the testing or actions such as failing to wear a mask in airports (whether vaccinated or not) while travelling (e.g. the recent post about Viking cruisers observing said activity) are shameful activities, on par with drunk driving.

That kind of careless can futher spread a killer disease, and individual wishes to see grandkids are no excuse.  If one wants that Thanksgiving after testing, cancel or dont book.  One's 'feeling the've done enough' is highly subject to doing what that person wants to do and ignoring risks others might not want forced on them.  You will be sharing air with at least several hundred others, so you are making choices for all of them, not just yourself, if not isolating yourself in a cabin.

A few weeks before the cruise, fine.  But a large social gathering with unvaccinated people a few days before is a horribly bad idea.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just refund everyones cruise fare and forget it. Every time you look at the boards something changes. Cruises are getting expensive then they want to put the burden of testing on each passenger. Have 2 cruises booked through RCI then I done with them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

I feel that once one has booked a cruise then one has a strong obligation to protect the lives and vacation of the others who will also be on the cruise.  Socializing indoors with unvaccinated people, without a mask after the testing or actions such as failing to wear a mask in airports (whether vaccinated or not) while travelling (e.g. the recent post about Viking cruisers observing said activity) are shameful activities, on par with drunk driving.

That kind of careless can futher spread a killer disease, and individual wishes to see grandkids are no excuse.  If one wants that Thanksgiving after testing, cancel or dont book.  One's 'feeling the've done enough' is highly subject to doing what that person wants to do and ignoring risks others might not want forced on them.  You will be sharing air with at least several hundred others, so you are making choices for all of them, not just yourself, if not isolating yourself in a cabin.

A few weeks before the cruise, fine.  But a large social gathering with unvaccinated people a few days before is a horribly bad idea.

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion. But what about the responsibility of the unvaxed?  I suppose you think they will be following all of the precautions you seem to think that I as a vaccinated person should follow?  I can tell you from personal experience - family and friends that no, they will not.  They were having parties and get together's last year during the worst of it and I have no reason to believe that they will suddenly become socially responsible and think about others because they are cruising. 

What about their responsibility to just say "no" to cruising because of their choice to remain unvaccinated?

Edited by mek
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mek said:

Ok - say I get tested Thanksgiving morning, which comes back negative and allows me to cruise and then I have family over for dinner and catch whatever variant might be spreading by that time.  That is just how stupidly unnecessary pre-cruise testing is - at least IMO - people can test negative and still be positive on the ship.

And when I got vaccinated I made a promise to myself that I would never live my life like I did between March 2020 - March 2021.  We had no family get togethers for any holidays and I lost a year of my 6 year old grandson's life.  I did everything I was supposed to do - followed all of the rules.  I won't isolate myself from my family again and have been around them constantly since this March and will continue to do so.  I believe the vaccine is effective enough to keep me from seriously getting ill. 

The only reason I even have this cruise booked is because it was a L&S from 2020, that I booked in 2019 - long before Covid, it's not like I booked something during the pandemic, which if that had been the case, would prevent me from being upset about anything.

This seems like kind of an irresponsible way to do it.  If you are planning a cruise 3 days after Thanksgiving, perhaps you could skip the festivities that year for the sake of safety.  I think they are assuming people will be smart right before cruising.

So, sure you could do this, but why would you?  Getting to go on a cruise right now is a great privilege.

• Like 2

I have the antigen test available because I live in a large city.  So I will do that one.  We also plan on locking ourselves down 2 weeks prior to testing so we aren’t positive and don’t take it on board.  Hoping by November this wave is long gone.

Travel over the holidays would be tricky.  I’d probably cancel that one simply due to trying to get test results.  

I would prefer it at the pier but then it’s long waits and if you test positive then what?  If you have flown in you’re in trouble.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

And you are definitely entitled to your opinion. But what about the responsibility of the unvaxed?  I suppose you think they will be following all of the precautions you seem to think that I as a vaccinated person should follow?  I can tell you from personal experience - family and friends that no, they will not.  They were having parties and get together's last year during the worst of it and I have no reason to believe that they will suddenly become socially responsible and think about others because they are cruising. 

What about their responsibility to just say "no" to cruising because of their choice to remain unvaccinated?

Understand that what you do is your decision but the “if they don’t have to act responsibly why should I?” excuse does not hold water.  I want to SCREAM when I talk to friends & family who refuse to get the jab!!  But their choice to, in MY opinion, act irresponsibly does not give me license to do so too.

My guess is you are a responsible caring person expressing the frustrations we all feel.  I wish you a bon voyage and fingers crossed it all works out for you.  BTW can you fit 2 more for Thanksgiving???

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mek said:

I agree with you.  The unvaccinated are a huge problem.  They are gambling not only with their own lives but those of their family and communities.  All over the country people are needlessly in an emergency room, wasting society's resources, some dying when it could have been prevented.  It is a horribly tragic situation and makes me very sad we educate our people so poorly and that in pursuit of power or monitary gain people are willing to spin the truth or justify clearly bad 'bets' in the name of convenience.

Cruising is a luxury, but like all luxuries, it comes with a hint of responsibility for those less fortunate, like the unvaccinated people at ports we may visit. Its funny how compulsory military service used to be the norm and considered an honor to protect one's country and now taking a safe vaccine with a possible minor inconvenient side effect vs getting a possibly fatal illness is considered too much for our government and society to ask.

Anyway, we agree. As noted by others, we are debating a straw man and you seem like someone who will be responsible.  I was responding to the hypothetical.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, tserface said:

This seems like kind of an irresponsible way to do it.  If you are planning a cruise 3 days after Thanksgiving, perhaps you could skip the festivities that year for the sake of safety.  I think they are assuming people will be smart right before cruising.

So, sure you could do this, but why would you?  Getting to go on a cruise right now is a great privilege.

For the sake of what safety?  These comments continue to amaze me.  Breakthrough cases are at .08% - well within the original projections of efficacy, yet people are acting like the sky is falling because unvaccinated people are coming down with the DV. Go after them, not me.  

If you are vaccinated, you have a very slim chance of getting Covid and even less of a chance of becoming seriously ill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poocher said:

Understand that what you do is your decision but the “if they don’t have to act responsibly why should I?” excuse does not hold water.  I want to SCREAM when I talk to friends & family who refuse to get the jab!!  But their choice to, in MY opinion, act irresponsibly does not give me license to do so too.

My guess is you are a responsible caring person expressing the frustrations we all feel.  I wish you a bon voyage and fingers crossed it all works out for you.  BTW can you fit 2 more for Thanksgiving???

I never said that I in any way believe  "if they don't act responsibly, why should I?"

I was simply making the statement that I don't believe many of the unvaxxed have acted responsibly in the past nor do I think they will suddenly change their ways prior to cruising.

I don't for one minute believe I am acting irresponsibly.  I am fully vaccinated  and have little fear or concern that I will become seriously ill just because I'm around a group of unvaccinated people and those who are vaccinated and cruise should not be concerned either.

But you can apparently still carry and spread the delta variant.  Just because we are unlikely to get seriously ill doesn’t mean we can’t make someone else so.  And not all the unvaccinated are that way by choice.

1 hour ago, Pizzasteve said:

I agree with you.  The unvaccinated are a huge problem.  They are gambling not only with their own lives but those of their family and communities.  All over the country people are needlessly in an emergency room, wasting society's resources, some dying when it could have been prevented.  It is a horribly tragic situation and makes me very sad we educate our people so poorly and that in pursuit of power or monitary gain people are willing to spin the truth or justify clearly bad 'bets' in the name of convenience.

Cruising is a luxury, but like all luxuries, it comes with a hint of responsibility for those less fortunate, like the unvaccinated people at ports we may visit. Its funny how compulsory military service used to be the norm and considered an honor to protect one's country and now taking a safe vaccine with a possible minor inconvenient side effect vs getting a possibly fatal illness is considered too much for our government and society to ask.

Anyway, we agree. As noted by others, we are debating a straw man and you seem like someone who will be responsible.  I was responding to the hypothetical.

And bottom line is perhaps the ports that cruise ships visit will ultimately be the determining factor in cruises only allowing vaccinated passengers on board while the DV spreads around the world. As an FYI, my husband and I had already discussed the possibility of not getting off the ship if things aren't going well with the variants.

If I wasn't a responsible person I certainly would not have taken all of the precautions I did last year to keep my husband and myself,(and others), safe.

I believe in the science of the vaccines and that is telling me those who are vaccinated are protected from becoming seriously ill.  I'm not sure why it needs to be more complicated than that.

7 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I’m going to gamble that things will get better.  We had to stop in CVS today and the line for vaccinations was crazy long. So, hoping as more get vaccinated things will ease up.

That's good to hear that the lines for vaccinations was long. It means that people are starting to take this seriously. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poocher said:

But you can apparently still carry and spread the delta variant.  Just because we are unlikely to get seriously ill doesn’t mean we can’t make someone else so.  And not all the unvaccinated are that way by choice.

I realize that there is a very small number of people who can't be vaccinated for one reason or another, but the majority of those who aren't vaccinated are because they choose not to, for one reason or another.

And I think the jury is still out about vaccinated people carrying enough viral load to infect someone else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Testing no longer matters to us. Our December and February cruises have been cancelled. :classic_rolleyes::classic_huh::classic_sad:

We're your cruises canceled by the cruise line or yourself?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, mek said:

I realize that there is a very small number of people who can't be vaccinated for one reason or another, but the majority of those who aren't vaccinated are because they choose not to, for one reason or another.

And I think the jury is still out about vaccinated people carrying enough viral load to infect someone else.

Perhaps but I am unwilling to take that chance around my grandchildren and even though I don’t agree with peoples decisions not to get the shot, I don’t wish Covid in any of its forms on anyone.  Clearly we have some points we agree on and some we don’t but I have tried to be respectful in my responses.   I hope for the same from you.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mek said:

We're your cruises canceled by the cruise line or yourself?

We are in the cruise line cancellations today. Vision in Dec. Rhapsody in Feb. I am sad again. We may L&S one and take a refund on the other deposit and see if we can book something else. I really thought we were out of the woods on cancellations. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mek said:

For the sake of what safety?  These comments continue to amaze me.  Breakthrough cases are at .08% - well within the original projections of efficacy, yet people are acting like the sky is falling because unvaccinated people are coming down with the DV. Go after them, not me.  

If you are vaccinated, you have a very slim chance of getting Covid and even less of a chance of becoming seriously ill. 

I apologize if it sounded like I was going after you. You posted a hypothetical example where some gets tested then has aThanksgiving party. I just think responsible cruisers wouldn’t do that!

2 minutes ago, poocher said:

Perhaps but I am unwilling to take that chance around my grandchildren and even though I don’t agree with peoples decisions not to get the shot, I don’t wish Covid in any of its forms on anyone.  Clearly we have some points we agree on and some we don’t but I have tried to be respectful in my responses.   I hope for the same from you.

I'm sorry if you can't get vaccinated.  I have a friend who even has a bad reaction to Epi Pens, and won't even consider getting vaccinated.  Most of her family are OK with her being around their kids, but one son and his wife make her quarantine for X number of days before she can be with their daughter.  Surprisingly, with all of her screwy allergy issues, she has never been overly concerned about catching Covid.

26 minutes ago, poocher said:

Those under 12 are the ones who are not able to be vaccinated and are forced to be on a cruise because the parents aren't responsible enough to hold off until they can either be vaccinated or until it's safe to cruise. If any adult who can't be vaccinated for whatever reason decides to take the risk it's their decision. Those of us who took responsibility to be vaccinated have done our part. If someone becomes seriously ill because they made a poor decision to take a cruise that's on them.  

• Like 4