Eclipse Schedule Changes

Auntiemomo

Looks like Eclipse is repositioning to the West Coast for a few coastal cruises then doing a B2B from Vancouver to Honolulu to Vancouver prior to her Alaska sailings.  My question is will this B2B violate the PVSA/Jones Act, or whatever it's called?  Previously, I was under the impression that Eclipse from Honolulu to Vancouver, then staying on board to do Alaska was a violation of the PVSA/Jones Act.  If that is true, wouldn't the B2B from Vancouver to Honolulu to Vancouver violate the PVSA/Jones Act.

Maybe I got some bad information.  Just don't want to book then later told l would have to cancel one of the two legs.  Celebrity says that's not an issue, but what do they know?  😉

Ask yourself a couple of questions as you look at potential itineraries

Will I be boarding in a US city and disembarking in a different US city without visiting a distant foreign port? And remember there are no distant foreign ports on the West Coast and Canada does not count as a distant foreign port. If you are boarding in one US city and disembarking in a different US city, you are in violation of PVSA

Am I boarding in a non-US city and disembarking in a US city? No violation.  

Am I boarding in a US city and disembarking in a non-US city? No violation.

Thanks, that clears up a lot.  I'm just wondering why folks taking Eclipse from HNL to YVR were under the impression they couldn't stay on and do the Alaska route from YVR and return and had to cross over the pier and take Serenade to Alaska???

5 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Thanks, that clears up a lot.  I'm just wondering why folks taking Eclipse from HNL to YVR were under the impression they couldn't stay on and do the Alaska route from YVR and return and had to cross over the pier and take Serenade to Alaska???

If their Alaska cruise started in Vancouver and ended in Seward it would be a violation.  But as a r/t Vancouver it is legal.  EM

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

Unlike you, I guess they just didn't bother to ask, or didn't specify that their Alaskan leg was a Vancouver RT. 

A few years ago there was a situation like this and people got stuck making last minute adjustments.  The ship went from Honolulu to Vancouver and then a one-way from Vancouver to Anchorage.  Neither cruise by itseld was a problem, but combining them violated the PVSA.

the new Eclipse scenario will be OK because the Vancouver to Alaska is a round trip, beginning and ending in Canada.

7 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

Looks like Eclipse is repositioning to the West Coast for a few coastal cruises then doing a B2B from Vancouver to Honolulu to Vancouver prior to her Alaska sailings.  My question is will this B2B violate the PVSA/Jones Act, or whatever it's called?  Previously, I was under the impression that Eclipse from Honolulu to Vancouver, then staying on board to do Alaska was a violation of the PVSA/Jones Act.  If that is true, wouldn't the B2B from Vancouver to Honolulu to Vancouver violate the PVSA/Jones Act.

Maybe I got some bad information.  Just don't want to book then later told l would have to cancel one of the two legs.  Celebrity says that's not an issue, but what do they know?  😉

I don't see anything on the website yet.  

10 minutes ago, nikel said:

I don't see anything on the website yet.  

If you are talking about the 23 Apr 2022 YVR to HNL?  It's up there now to book, but too pricey for me.  $5300 for the cheapest balcony, and the perks aren't that great.  I guess they are trying to make up for lost revenue.  I was hoping it would have been reasonable transportation to HNL.

4 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Can’t see all of these cruises on website yet….

there is one Coastal Cruise showing on 9 April 2022.  What will follow that?

Look here and sort by date:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-search?ship=EC

There are Pac Coastals on March 26, April 2 April 9, and April 16, followed by cruise to Hawaii April 23. Then the cruise from Hawaii that's been on the books for some time.

Most of these showed up late Tuesday.

15 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If their Alaska cruise started in Vancouver and ended in Seward it would be a violation.  But as a r/t Vancouver it is legal.  EM

What violation? I have  done 2 Alaska cruises from Vancouver to Seward one way in 2019 and 2015 .

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

What violation? I have  done 2 Alaska cruises from Vancouver to Seward one way in 2019 and 2015 .

You have to read the whole question this was a response to.

Basically if a cruise started in Hawaii, then connected to Vancouver - Seward cruise, the combination would be a violation.

it’s the B2B issue that is in question, not a simple one-way Vancouver - Seward cruise.

Edited by cruisestitch

I have just had a look at these new itineraries and there is one scenario that is problematic. There is a cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver, followed by a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. You would not be able to take both of those cruises back to back. That would put you going from one US Port two different US Port without having visited a DISTANT foreign port. Neither Ensenada  Mexico nor Vancouver Canada qualify. 

this is not what the OP was enquiring about, but it is part of the Eclipse deployment.

12 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

If you are talking about the 23 Apr 2022 YVR to HNL?  It's up there now to book, but too pricey for me.  $5300 for the cheapest balcony, and the perks aren't that great.  I guess they are trying to make up for lost revenue.  I was hoping it would have been reasonable transportation to HNL.

See it now.  The prices are crazy compared to what we are used to, so I guess I will stick with what I have and fly over.  Booked my air on FF miles which are refundable.  The hotels in Hawaii are also sticker shock price compared to what we are used to.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

You have to read the whole question this was a response to.

Basically if a cruise started in Hawaii, then connected to Vancouver - Seward cruise, the combination would be a violation.

it’s the B2B issue that is in question, not a simple one-way Vancouver - Seward cruise.

That is what we were booked on for 2019 when the pandemic hit and was cancelled anyway, but about three months before that Celebrity cancelled our Alaska portion as it was in violation.