Antigen vs. PCR testing at boarding

Kate-AHF

We are supposed to cruise from "Venice" (note the quotes) to Istanbul in 76 days on Splendor.  Will Regent NOT do a follow-up PCR test at the dock if the antigen tests positive?  Kick us off the cruise if the antigen test alone says shedding covid virus?

Note that we are fully vaxxed with Pfizer, but the breakthrough infections noted in Massachusetts have me worried.  No longer worried that I will die, but worried I'll be stranded at the dock (with insurance) at Montfalcone, Ravenna, Trieste, wherever Regent decides their "Venice" port will be.

I'm already kind of shocked that this cruise is ending in a country where it may be possible to be repatriated, but pretty much impossible to go anywhere else afterwards.  and I note that Turkey is level 3 with the US state dept,, and Greece is level 4, so why you can travel from Greece to Italy and it's fine, but not travel from Turkey to Italy is no bueno.  

Kate, these unanswered questions are why we are not booked on any cruise on any line.  At one time, I understand Regent’s rules to be that all guests had to present proof of full vaccination to embark, and that was all. Now, it seems that repeated testing (and getting kicked off if positive) and ALL guests wearing masks indoors are part of the rules. And I keep hearing news reports about highly unreliable airline service, so I don’t know how one could get to a cruise reliably. These things probably aren’t the fault of Regent or any other line. But these things are certainly a deterrent to many of us booking, until matters settle down to the point that the rules when we book will be the rules when we sail.

• Like 3

I have not heard of any cruise line operating right now that would not follow up a positive antigen test with a PCR test before denying boarding. That was the case on our recent Crystal cruise, and I know also applies to Celebrity/Royal.

35 minutes ago, BBWC said:

I have not heard of any cruise line operating right now that would not follow up a positive antigen test with a PCR test before denying boarding. That was the case on our recent Crystal cruise, and I know also applies to Celebrity/Royal.

BBWC - I would hope that this would actually be the case for Regent, as well....i.e. following up a "positive" Antigen test with an immediate PCR test done a pier side.   But my understanding was (perhaps incorrect) that a PCR test can take up to 24 hours for a result  (is that wrong?)...if so, wouldn't the ship be "long gone" by the time a PCR result was ready?  Or am I missing some important detail?

Have you actually seen this 2-test procedure put in writing anywhere on the Regent website?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

BBWC - I would hope that this would actually be the case for Regent, as well....i.e. following up a "positive" Antigen test with an immediate PCR test done a pier side.   But my understanding was (perhaps incorrect) that a PCR test can take up to 24 hours for a result  (is that wrong?)...if so, wouldn't the ship be "long gone" by the time a PCR result was ready?  Or am I missing some important detail?

Have you actually seen this 2-test procedure put in writing anywhere on the Regent website?

There are rapid PCR Tests as opposed to lab-based PCR tests, which is probably what is being used. I did not see anything on Regent’s website. Then again, there was not anything on Crystal’s website, either. 

Clearly circumstances are changing rapidly.  We had both Pfizer shots (last in April).  We wear masks in public, practice social distancing, very cautious in all activities outside the home.

This weekend I tested positive after feeling not great.  Friends in Phoenix - both vaxxed twice - had friends from out of town staying for four days.  3 of 6 have tested positive.  Article in the Baltimore  Sun today by an esteemed Johns Hopkins Medical School epidemiologist - went to a party Sat. with 15 people - all were vaccinated twice.  Today, 11 of the 15 tested positive.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/op-ed/bs-ed-op-0804-breakthrough-covid-20210803-t32trfpiwzdf5okfar45f64whi-story.html

Fortunately, I am self-quarantined for 12-14 days, just coping with symptoms of a bad cold.

My point: this fast moving unpredictable variant is infecting a good number of us who had both shots.  That gives me great pause in light of Regent's new policy.  After passing through airports, planes, hotels and taxis to get to the port I worry: if I am fine prior to leaving home but two days later test positive and therefore denied boarding at the port.  An unknown unknown.

We have a number of Regent cruises booked for early 2022.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Glad that you have a mild case. Unfortunately, the game has changed again and the vaccines no longer provide the level of protection they once did. It is still wise to get vaccinated because the seriousness of the illness is much less in most cases. Showing that you have been vaccinated to go into a crowded venue like a cruise ship is no longer enough to keep people safe. Certainly, the cruise lines will have to test repeatedly during a trip, especially after land tours. Israel, who has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, is now dealing with a large outbreak, mostly people who were vaccinated earlier this year. They claim that it was caused by many people vacationing out of the country and bringing the delta variant back with them. I wish all of you safe travels who decide to get on a cruise ship but it’s not for me until this is better controlled. When will that be? Who knows, but until then I will keep my money in my pocket and wait for the air to clear. 

• Like 1

Kate-AHF  I'm already kind of shocked that this cruise is ending in a country where it may be possible to be repatriated, but pretty much impossible to go anywhere else afterwards.  and I note that Turkey is level 3 with the US state dept,, and Greece is level 4, so why you can travel from Greece to Italy and it's fine, but not travel from Turkey to Italy is no bueno.  

Not sure what you mean by "impossible to go anywhere else aftewards"  If you mean touring the  city of Istanbul and area, this is a wonderful, friendly city with many things to do.