The Daily for Wednesday August 04, 2021

Good morning all!

We had a surprise rain shower yesterday!  It was brief but came down fairly hard, and more is expected in a couple days -- hurrah!

Chocolate chip cookies is the only kind I make, the only kind worth the work 😉 The grandkids love them and so do I.   Hooray for the Coast Guard and kids day!  If it's white wine day, why is the wine of the day a red?  🤔😄 The meal sounds really good, but we just had pork ribs last night so will save this for another day.  Have never been to Mozambique. 

We're a little excited today because we made a decision yesterday.  As I posted recently, we planned to cancel our Celebrity cruise out of FL in November (because X's 95% vaccinated and FL's high numbers).  When DH called to cancel, they offered to move our deposit to any future cruise between now and Sept. '22.  We looked, and we could get off the Volendam in Rotterdam on July 31 and onto the Apex the next day in Amsterdam.  We did something similar in 2014 when we debarked the Eurodam after a Baltic cruise and onto the Infinity for a Northern Europe cruise. The Volendam will be a North Cape cruise, the Celebrity cruise will be Ireland and Iceland. So, with hope that in a year things will be better and/or Celebrity goes with 100% vaccinated, that's what we'll do.  It will be nice to extend our time, and get back to Iceland too.

@rafinmdhow large was the earthquake?  

@St. Louis Salthinking of you today as you get your follow up and lumbar puncture. 

@smitty34877we're all grinning about Miss Camilla going home!!

@StLouisCruisersmy heart aches for you about your DH's possible exposure.  Given the distance he was from your neighbor and being outside, chances are good he's ok, but I understand the worry!

@ger_77prayers for your friend going through the mastectomy.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Another nice,  but dry day in the Pacific NW.  I have always had respect for Coast Guard members.  While in Vietnam in 1970 my repair ship did a lot of work on a Coast Guard cutter there.  I was surprised at the age of some of the electronics they had to work with onboard.  For @StLouisCruisers I believe the odds of your DH, as a vaccinated person being outside 4 or 5 feet from an infected person, are extremely slim that he could have been infected.   After all, that is why he was vaccinated.  

• Like 16

We've decided not to risk our family members catching this.  Have to assume DH is positive until we've quarantined 10 or 14 days.  We notified the kids, then texted the graduating grandson to tell him the bad news.  He texted back that our health is #1 priority and he will send us photos from commencement.  😪

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

"I may be a living legend, but that sure don't help when I've got to change a flat tire. - Roy Orbison"

Love the quote.

I baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday for drill at the fire station, not knowing that today was National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. Drill was cut short because lightning struck and knocked a number of trees onto a forest service road. 

IMG_2627.thumb.JPG.7455861362fe73eaf75fb613d4408a5e.JPG

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I believe the odds of your DH, as a vaccinated person being outside 4 or 5 feet from an infected person, are extremely slim that he could have been infected.   After all, that is why he was vaccinated.  

The problem is the Delta Variant is a lot more transmissible.  The vaccine protects against most & severe symptoms.  It doesn’t stop the vaccinated from potentially transmitting covid. I would have the same concerns if I were in StLouisCruisers’ situation.

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We've decided not to risk our family members catching this.  Have to assume DH is positive until we've quarantined 10 or 14 days.  We notified the kids, then texted the graduating grandson to tell him the bad news.  He texted back that our health is #1 priority and he will send us photos from commencement.  😪

I am sorry you had to make this decision. 😢   But, FWIW in my opinion, you did the absolutely right thing to protect your other family members.

I admire you for putting others before your own wants and desires ♥️ 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think I may be impervious to noticing earthquakes.  We had one last night about 15 miles from me and I never felt a thing.

Roy

I've slept right through 5.0's.  

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kazu said:

The problem is the Delta Variant is a lot more transmissible.  The vaccine protects against most & severe symptoms.  It doesn’t stop the vaccinated from potentially transmitting covid. I would have the same concerns if I were in StLouisCruisers’ situation.

I am sorry you had to make this decision. 😢   But, FWIW in my opinion, you did the absolutely right thing to protect your other family members.

Thank you.  Yes, obviously this variant is transmissible even though vaccinated.  All three of my neighbors were vaccinated and Copeland even stayed in the lower level of their house away from his SIL Paul and still caught it.  We would never forgive ourselves if we spread the virus unknowingly to others.  I'm a little ticked at the neighbor for not cautioning DH to stand further away, even though he is very hard of hearing.  That's why DH was standing that close.  He would have come straight home if he'd known about Paul being ill already

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 16

Good morning everyone. I have been busy the past few days... reading the Daily late at night. Today looks like it will be another busy day - so I will post a bit now, read later. Hope things are going well for all. I am reading the Alaska blogs and wishing I had taken the plunge and had signed up, but travel is just going to have to wait for awhile.

On the plus side of things - Home Depot has refunded the money the triple charged me. Hope I have heard the last on the patio door issue. And our Shelter Director is out of the Hospital. He is still on dialysis and we don't know about his return to work. There are still other issues to be resolved, but he is making progress.

Today will be spent cleaning, sorting and tonight there is a funding raising musical social that I need to attend. I intend to wear a mask. It is outside but too many people for my liking.It is outside but in a fairly contained area.  I will go to support the group and make my presence known and then leave fairly soon. I am just not comfortable being in a close quarters with other people.

Take care all....

Susan

• Like 22

Good morning Daily friends!

Love chocolate chip cookie (my DS is our usual baker and does a great job); kids day is every day (and I'm still a kid at heart so it's my day!!). The Coast Guard is so worthy of celebration - we have a Coast Guard station here at the Merchant Marine Academy, and they help protect all of New York Harbor.

@smitty34877 what wonderful news about Camilla! So glad she is home with her family, and that everyone will be watching out for her.

@kazu love your memes every day - they are a great smile producer!

@cat shepard thanks so much for your amazing narrative and pictures of Iceland! In spite of your injury, you really got to see some amazing places, and enjoyed some wonderful food! I can't wait to get there next year on a BHB!

@StLouisCruisersso sorry to hear about the possible COVID issues. It's really very inconsiderate not to let people know if you've been exposed and might have it. Sorry about your travel plans, but it's probably better not to take that chance.

@St. Louis Sal hoping that today's procedure goes well with no pain.

@ger_77 sending prayers for your friend, for an easy recovery.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day, with rain (where needed) and no rain (where it's been too much)!

Stay safe,

Laura

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

He texted back that our health is #1 priority and he will send us photos from commencement. 

What a gracious grandson!

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

I agree with Kazu.  While he was following the recommended protocol for outdoor socializing, the variant is 1,000 times more contagious, it was put another way, with original covid, 15 minutes was considered close contact in a room with someone that tested positive; with the variant it's 1 minute.  

@StLouisCruisers I'm so sorry you had an exposure and had to cancel so many plans, we have done several voluntary two week quarantines ourselves after visits to clinics and hospitals where there was a possibility of an exposure, and we're in one now because we cruise in a month.

@rafinmd we'd be fine taking a covid test if it was at the pier and administered by someone representing the cruise line, there's too much confusion with making people do it themselves, there are several threads on the celebrity board illustrating the nightmare they are in for Millie.  We still might try and schedule one before our cruise for reasons you pointed out, the idea of Dear Dad and I being separated on the ship involuntarily terrifies us.

• Like 12

Good morning, everyone, and thanks to Rich, Roy and all who make the Daily the place to be every morning!  @StLouisCruisers, how dreadful to have to miss out on a big occasion!  So good of you to back out though, just in case.  I must say, I am now suspicious of everyone, and if a person approaches me, I immediately back away, even if it seems rude.  You just never know where others have been.  Cases are mounting here, too, and testing has been reduced, if not done away with, so you never know if someone is asymptomatic.  I worry about the children who cannot yet be vaccinated.  And even the anti-vaxxers, who are most at risk.  Our son's DMIL, who is one of those, has moved out of their house and into a household of similar minded folk, and now I am worried about her.   Although I'm relieved that she is no longer in DS's house!

We haven't been to Maputo, but I was "around the corner" in Port Elizabeth at the age of 3.  No photos!  My mother and I were on an exchange ship after being released from a Japanese internment camp in Shanghai, and we were taken in by a kind family there for a few days while the ship re-stocked.  So I have fond thoughts of the area.

@smitty34877, I was happy to hear that Miss Camilla has made it home.  She will get lots of loving care.   In honour of chocolate chip cookie day I will get some out of the freezer.  Not that I need them!  My cousin was in the Canadian Coast Guard, I will remember him today,  and drink some white wine in his honour.  

We may get some rain tomorrow!  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from Sitka.

@aliaschief the app doesn't work on the ship I wouldn't expect it to work at home.

My recommendation to anyone who is considering buying the internet package is don't.   It has been horrible.   At this point I wouldn't recommend the have it all promotion.   While I know the internet is better in the Caribbean I'm considering shifting my bookings to bare bones refundable deposit. 

20210804_073126.jpg

20210804_073133.jpg

20210804_073208.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Roy, @rafinmd, I was looking at the HAL Frequently Asked Questions yesterday, and saw this (although they don't seem to be doing testing in Alaska, so maybe they are just doing "screening" , so I wonder why they say "pre-travel testing")

"All guests and crew embarking a ship will undergo pre-travel testing for COVID-19 and enhanced pre-embarkation health screening in accordance with best practices such as health questionnaires and touch-free temperature checks as appropriate. Anyone exhibiting signs of illness will be referred for secondary medical screening and testing and may be denied boarding.""

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning,

Unlike some locales, we did not get a popup shower last night even though the sky darkened, our best hope will be Friday but I'm starting to lose hope now, as the trend this summer is to not have rain.  That happened to me one summer in Kansas City, storms never got close and if they did they'd fizzle by the time they arrived, it was as dry and parched as a desert and we had numerous days that were well over a 100.  The following year there was a shift in the prevailing winds and we were in a muggy sticky thick tropical soup all summer, the desert weather was way better when you have to work in it.  I moved back to Washington State the following year because I missed the rain.  

The last piece of luggage I ordered for our upcoming trip finally arrived, so we're set for suitcases, we're going to attempt a large suitcase and a smaller carryon for both of us, but I don't know, I think it might be a bit of a stretch to pull it off.  Perhaps I will watch a couple packing videos even though it never turns out for me the way it does for the people that film them.  I've got another week before I begin to assess the situation, we'll still have 3 weeks to go but I need time to send things off to the drycleaners, or outright replace something if necessary. 

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to all.  @smitty34877  Wonderful news on baby Camilla!  

Have a good day everybody!

PS I knew about Coast Guard day, in a state with a lot of water they are never taken for granted, those Cape Disappointment water rescues are harrowing on a good day. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think I may be impervious to noticing earthquakes.  We had one last night about 15 miles from me and I never felt a thing.

Roy

Didn't feel it either, Roy. In fact, this was the first I've heard about it!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Unlike some locales, we did not get a popup shower last night even though the sky darkened,

I was really surprised.  The sky got darker and darker, but nothing happened and since the weather app said 0% chance of rain until Friday (ha!!) I didn't think it would happen.  Next thing we knew, huge heavy drops started pounding on the skylights.  It turned into a steady rain that lasted maybe 10 minutes.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

I was really surprised.  The sky got darker and darker, but nothing happened and since the weather app said 0% chance of rain until Friday (ha!!) I didn't think it would happen.  Next thing we knew, huge heavy drops started pounding on the skylights.  It turned into a steady rain that lasted maybe 10 minutes.  

Yeah I know....the weather channel certainly changed that in a hurry, suddenly it was a 40% chance of rain....it's pretty bad when they can't predict the weather an hour before it happens, and we're trusting them to tell us what it'll be like on Friday?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning to  all. Thanks  for  the  Daily,  Rich and  thank you  Roy for  our  lists. I  like  the  recipe today  and  the  quote  is  a  good  one.

Miss Camilla  left  the  NICU  and  went  home  with her  parents last  night. My  niece  and  her  husband(they  are  both  nurses ) set  up  a  monitoring  system that will  help  keep  track  of  her  heart  rate. I  am  awaiting  new  pictures as  the  doting  grandparents and  my  great  niece were  there  for  a  while  to  offer  assistance. I  hope  all  went  well  last  night. There  were  a  few  happy  tears  shed  here in  our  2  family  household  as  we  were  eating  dinner  together  when  we  got  the  news.

It  is  so  wonderful  to  have  good  news  to  tell  everyone  today!

Terry

Great news.  Thanks for letting us all know.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hello all.  I was locked out of CC yesterday.  Not sure how long, as it was a busy day.  We have passes to SeaWorld, and yesterday was a very pleasant day there with DD and DGD.

I was so happy to read here first thing that dear Baby Camilla is home.  @smitty34877, that is wonderful news.  I know we will all continue to pray for her that she grows stronger every day and has a happy adjustment to her new nursery.  Babies are a joy, and you've brought joy here to the Daily by sharing your little one with us.

Thank you, Rich, for the Daily.  I had wondered if the winning streak would be broken yesterday and that you would be unable to post.  But there it was, along with all the excellent work of all contributors.

Thank you all, and have a great day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Miss Camilla  left  the  NICU  and  went  home  with her  parents last  night. My  niece  and  her  husband(they  are  both  nurses ) set  up  a  monitoring  system that will  help  keep  track  of  her  heart  rate. I  am  awaiting  new  pictures as  the  doting  grandparents and  my  great  niece were  there  for  a  while  to  offer  assistance. I  hope  all  went  well  last  night. There  were  a  few  happy  tears  shed  here in  our  2  family  household  as  we  were  eating  dinner  together  when  we  got  the  news.

It  is  so  wonderful  to  have  good  news  to  tell  everyone  today!

How wonderful!

Celebrate.jpg.1add2c02a9e4aad40a3b19dc9f14e863.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We have a concern here in our household.  Remember I told you last weekend our next door neighbor (fully vaccinated) had come down with Covid?  We learned his wife and 91 year old FIL who lives with them have also become ill.  Surprisingly the 91 year old, Copeland, is feeling better than his daughter!  The problem is my DH was talking to Copeland Saturday for about 15 minutes and he didn't say a word to DH about Covid in their household.  Copeland sits outside in the open garage or at the door opening to wave to passersby who often stop to chat.  DH was picking up Damon's mail out of his mailbox as he does every day and stopped to chat with Copeland.  He said he stood about 4-5 feet away and Copeland was seated.  Now that we know Copeland came down with Covid the following day, we are in a tough position here.  Are we exposed and going to become positive?  We feel well but could be asymptomatic.  We could get a rapid test today and be negative, but come down with Covid on Friday.  Do we drive to Ohio tomorrow, stay with our daughter, have dinner with her entire family at a restaurant Friday night, and do we attend DGS's commencement ceremony Saturday morning??  Then we were going to visit DS in Michigan.  Right now the chances are not good we are going to be able to go.  Our DD is a teacher and goes back to school next week.  Our youngest DGS is asthmatic and unvaccinated right now.  I'm feeling heartbroken right now.😪

Oh, my gosh!   I know the correct answer is to stay home.  Although, the CDC said that vaccinated people did not need to quarantine if exposed.   But, that was before Delta variant.   So, I understand your dilemma.  This is a hard one.  

You can by at home rapid COVID tests at CVS, Walgreens and Walmart.  They come in packages of 2.  You can get a supply and test yourselves.   If negative, go to Ohio but stay in a hotel to minimize exposure to others.  Test before every encounter and make your decision based on the outcome.  That could get pricey, but it would allow you to go.   

Most likely since Copeland was in the garage with the door up and your husband was 4-5 feet away, you'll be ok.  But this isn't something to be betting on.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Sitka.

@aliaschief the app doesn't work on the ship I wouldn't expect it to work at home.

My recommendation to anyone who is considering buying the internet package is don't.   It has been horrible.   At this point I wouldn't recommend the have it all promotion.   While I know the internet is better in the Caribbean I'm considering shifting my bookings to bare bones refundable deposit. 

20210804_073126.jpg

20210804_073133.jpg

20210804_073208.jpg

I think part of the internet problem is the location of the ship and the satellites.  I believe the more north you go the further you are away from the key satellites?  That, or an incompetent IT person on the ship who doesn’t know  how to arrange the satellite to receive 😉 

I’m not sure how a pile of people on the ship with internet access affect it, either.  We didn’t have a problem on the Prinsendam as it’s had been upgraded.  Not sure if the N Amsterdam’s was or not?

Appreciate you fighting the internet and coming on to share your fabulous pictures and your experiences.  Love today’s pics 🙂 

Hope you are having a wonderful time on board 🤞 

• Like 11