The Daily for Wednesday August 04, 2021

richwmn

57 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Didn't feel it either, Roy. In fact, this was the first I've heard about it!

It was not a big one, only 2.1,    They say the epicenter was Highland which I think is more or less midway between us.

Roy

• Like 9

Good morning and thanks all! 
@rafinmdThanks for the great lists.   I’m happy to report that my DSIL is recovering from the infection.   She will have radiation ahead but you can take her off the everyday list,   Thanks for the prayers and concern! 
@smitty34877 such delightful albeit scary for the parents news for Miss C!  
@StLouisCruisers yikes what a dilemma,  I’m so sorry you may have been exposed.  

713593F4-9C59-4196-B6DD-102CABD2FBF0.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for your concern.  If it were any other week we could reschedule an appointment or something but this grandson's graduation was delayed 15 months due to Covid running rampant then.  I'm feeling very depressed about it, but need to consider it could be worse.  What if a grandchild was getting married this weekend and I had to miss that!!😲

If you choose to stay home maybe someone can FaceTime the graduation. That way you wouldn’t miss it. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. 😊 Good news hearing that baby Camilla is coming home.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers...sorry to hear about the possible exposure. We have a Viking river cruise coming up in November and besides the vaccination card we are to have a Covid test 72 hours ahead of time. 🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

Looking forward to photos from today's port of call....additionally, thank you to all who post.

😎 Katie....❤ rainbows

0_16280947502563818981964480393557.png

20210804_094026.jpg

• Like 19

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It was not a big one, only 2.1,    They say the epicenter was Highland which I think is more or less midway between us.

Roy

I can't feel any quake less than a 3, sometimes not less than a 4.  Also depends on how deep it is besides how near.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

My heavens you take some absolutely gorgeous pictures 👍 

I second that!!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

@rafinmd we'd be fine taking a covid test if it was at the pier and administered by someone representing the cruise line, there's too much confusion with making people do it themselves, there are several threads on the celebrity board illustrating the nightmare they are in for Millie.  We still might try and schedule one before our cruise for reasons you pointed out, the idea of Dear Dad and I being separated on the ship involuntarily terrifies us.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Roy, @rafinmd, I was looking at the HAL Frequently Asked Questions yesterday, and saw this (although they don't seem to be doing testing in Alaska, so maybe they are just doing "screening" , so I wonder why they say "pre-travel testing")

"All guests and crew embarking a ship will undergo pre-travel testing for COVID-19 and enhanced pre-embarkation health screening in accordance with best practices such as health questionnaires and touch-free temperature checks as appropriate. Anyone exhibiting signs of illness will be referred for secondary medical screening and testing and may be denied boarding.""

Bruno, I definitely feel it has to be testing right at embarkation.  I've never sailed out of Seattle and don't know if there's sufficient space there but the ideal would be to do a test in the terminal before boarding.  I'm more familiar with the Crystal setup and there's no place to do it at the port in Nassau, so they are staging in a hotel, doing the rapid test there, and then shuttling people to the ship.  Not ideal in Seattle but probably possible.  I know a rapid antigen test is not as good as a PCR test but the difference is probably not enough to outweigh the advantage of the results being up to the minute.  I agree that expecting people to get a test on their own is a meal mess and don't like it either.

Ann, I haven't seen any references from any of the live reports about actual Covid tests being done, so I expect HAL may just be adding it to the conditions in case it becomes needed.

Roy

• Like 11

@VictOriann   I just read your post about leaving the internship camp. I am in awe of how difficult this must have been as a child.   I read a wonderful book called Forgiveness by an author from Alberta writing about his grandparents,  a grandfather who had been a Prisoner of war in China,  the other grandmother who was taken from Vancouver and placed on a sugar beet camp in Alberta.     It has stayed with me.  

• Like 12

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days! I love chocolate chip cookies, salute the Coast Guard, and kids are great (although I have none). Also a salute to white wine, although I prefer red.

Pork chops sound good (but too much sodium in that recipe); I'm making a spicy chicken dish for dinner. The drink and wine sound good too.

I haven't been to today's port.

Not doing too much today. We're having some nice cooler days. I was trying to schedule my MRI but it looks like there's only an auth for 1 part of it, and not the other. So working on that.

@grapau27 Nice. I miss the beach, having grown up at the New Jersey Shore.

@St. Louis Sal Good luck with the LP.

@smitty34877 Great news on Miss Camilla being out of the hospital! 

@StLouisCruisers So sorry you're going through this; such hard decisions but necessary to protect your family.

@rafinmd I agree about testing at embarkation before boarding. I think it would help keep any spread down.

@ger_77 Prayers for your friend's surgery tomorrow.

@mamaofami Enjoy your down time.

@durangoscots I'm glad to hear the Shelter Director is home, but dialysis can be tough.

@bennybear I'm glad to hear DSIL is doing better. Great picture.

Prayers for the Care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone and wear your 😷 if need be.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, summer slope said:

If you choose to stay home maybe someone can FaceTime the graduation. That way you wouldn’t miss it. 

I could ask someone to do that.  Not the whole thing but when his name is called and he walks across the stage to get the diploma.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good Morning,

Unlike some locales, we did not get a popup shower last night even though the sky darkened, our best hope will be Friday but I'm starting to lose hope now, as the trend this summer is to not have rain.  That happened to me one summer in Kansas City, storms never got close and if they did they'd fizzle by the time they arrived, it was as dry and parched as a desert and we had numerous days that were well over a 100.  The following year there was a shift in the prevailing winds and we were in a muggy sticky thick tropical soup all summer, the desert weather was way better when you have to work in it.  I moved back to Washington State the following year because I missed the rain.  

The last piece of luggage I ordered for our upcoming trip finally arrived, so we're set for suitcases, we're going to attempt a large suitcase and a smaller carryon for both of us, but I don't know, I think it might be a bit of a stretch to pull it off.  Perhaps I will watch a couple packing videos even though it never turns out for me the way it does for the people that film them.  I've got another week before I begin to assess the situation, we'll still have 3 weeks to go but I need time to send things off to the drycleaners, or outright replace something if necessary. 

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to all.  @smitty34877  Wonderful news on baby Camilla!  

Have a good day everybody!

PS I knew about Coast Guard day, in a state with a lot of water they are never taken for granted, those Cape Disappointment water rescues are harrowing on a good day. 

Bruno, have you seen Luggage Forward? It's on page 17 of HAL Table of Contents. They will pick your luggage up at your home and it will be delivered to your stateroom. 

• Like 9

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I know how difficult the decision was to stay home, but hats off to both of you for putting your family and others ahead of yourselves.  What a nice reply from the graduate.  Being outside, the chances are youd DH was not exposed, but the Delta variant is so infectious, the smart move was to not take a chance.  Is it possible they might be streaming the ceremony for those who cannot attend?

Our county is in the lower part of the state as far as vaccination numbers -- about 40% with one dose and 35% with both doses according to the latest from the state health department.  We are beginning to see more people wearing masks in stores now, and that includes us.  Unfortunately, we know of at least two in our neighborhood who refuse to get the vaccine, and there may be more.  When we visit with neighbors, we stick with the ones we are sure have been vaccinated or talk to the others ourside and as safely as possible.

@bennybear  The picture is outstanding.  Good to know your DSIL is recovering from her infections, and sending good thoughts for the other procedures she is facing.

@ger_77  Gerry, best wishes for a successful surgery and quick recovery for your friend.

@rafinmd  Roy, even testing at check-in is not a 100% gaurantee.  Someone could have been exposed but not actually become infected, but would be infected in another day or two.  However, that is also a problem with those who have been vaccinated then been exposed.  With the Delta variant, and the Lambda variant too, being so infectious, we are going to stick prietty close to home for a while longer.

@durangoscots  Good to know that your shelter director is home, and good thoughts that he continues to recover.

I knew this morning I was tempting fate when I said I could now like posts when using my tablet.  The next time I used it, the like button didn't work.  I would get a message saying something like there was a problem reacting to this post OK?  My thought was Not OK, but that was not an options. 😁 At least, so far my computer has not had that issue.

Please be careful out there, wear your masks 😷. and social distance.

Lenda

• Like 17

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Bruno, I definitely feel it has to be testing right at embarkation.  I've never sailed out of Seattle and don't know if there's sufficient space there but the ideal would be to do a test in the terminal before boarding.  I'm more familiar with the Crystal setup and there's no place to do it at the port in Nassau, so they are staging in a hotel, doing the rapid test there, and then shuttling people to the ship.  Not ideal in Seattle but probably possible.  I know a rapid antigen test is not as good as a PCR test but the difference is probably not enough to outweigh the advantage of the results being up to the minute.  I agree that expecting people to get a test on their own is a meal mess and don't like it either.

Ann, I haven't seen any references from any of the live reports about actual Covid tests being done, so I expect HAL may just be adding it to the conditions in case it becomes needed.

Roy

I've checked with several of the August roll calls and so far it is not being required.  If there's only one ship at Smith Cove departing each weekend day then I think they will have the space, in fact I think Port of Seattle planned it with that in mind.  In fact, I just looked again at the official schedule and that's still the case.  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you.  Yes, obviously this variant is transmissible even though vaccinated.  All three of my neighbors were vaccinated and Copeland even stayed in the lower level of their house away from his SIL Paul and still caught it.  We would never forgive ourselves if we spread the virus unknowingly to others.  I'm a little ticked at the neighbor for not cautioning DH to stand further away, even though he is very hard of hearing.  That's why DH was standing that close.  He would have come straight home if he'd known about Paul being ill already

To reassure you, it's not likely he will catch it having been outdoors, the only time outdoor transmission is a concern is with very close contact, ie. rock concerts and standing room only sporting events which I don't think are even allowed anymore since the Hillsborough disaster. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Bruno, have you seen Luggage Forward? It's on page 17 of HAL Table of Contents. They will pick your luggage up at your home and it will be delivered to your stateroom. 

No I have not seen that, but it sounds intriguing, I will have to check it out for times when we're not staying in a hotel the night before. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

No I have not seen that, but it sounds intriguing, I will have to check it out for times when we're not staying in a hotel the night before. 

I second Luggage Forward.  You can also have it sent to your hotel (we've done that).  Our hotel (Movenpick in Amsterdam) was right next door to the cruise terminal. I wanted to be sure we had our luggage before the ship departure -- paranoid 😉   They will also send it to the ship on embarkation day, you could have an overnight bag for the hotel. 🙂  It has to be certain airlines and cities, I believe, so something to check. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning all from another early gloomy morning (like @Mr. Boston).  We're expecting some sun later and a high temp of only 82F.  Yay for today's celebrations - kids, chocolate chip cookies, white wine and our Coast Guard.  Who hasn't sung the praises of the Coast Guard when we see them airlift sick patients off our cruise ship?  What skill!!

@grapau27 I admire your and Pauline's zest for life!  No dull, boring days for you two.  

@smitty34877Terry, what wonderful news about Baby Camilla going home with her parents!  Prayers she continues to do well.  I'm sure she will be well taken care of and monitored with all the help from family members.

@St. Louis Salgood luck today with your follow up and lumbar puncture.  I hope this one is not painful too.  Take care!

Prayers for all on our Care list today.  I'm so happy we have Baby Camilla off that list now.  She can be added to the Celebration list now with all our happy Daily members and their families.

We have a concern here in our household.  Remember I told you last weekend our next door neighbor (fully vaccinated) had come down with Covid?  We learned his wife and 91 year old FIL who lives with them have also become ill.  Surprisingly the 91 year old, Copeland, is feeling better than his daughter!  The problem is my DH was talking to Copeland Saturday for about 15 minutes and he didn't say a word to DH about Covid in their household.  Copeland sits outside in the open garage or at the door opening to wave to passersby who often stop to chat.  DH was picking up Damon's mail out of his mailbox as he does every day and stopped to chat with Copeland.  He said he stood about 4-5 feet away and Copeland was seated.  Now that we know Copeland came down with Covid the following day, we are in a tough position here.  Are we exposed and going to become positive?  We feel well but could be asymptomatic.  We could get a rapid test today and be negative, but come down with Covid on Friday.  Do we drive to Ohio tomorrow, stay with our daughter, have dinner with her entire family at a restaurant Friday night, and do we attend DGS's commencement ceremony Saturday morning??  Then we were going to visit DS in Michigan.  Right now the chances are not good we are going to be able to go.  Our DD is a teacher and goes back to school next week.  Our youngest DGS is asthmatic and unvaccinated right now.  I'm feeling heartbroken right now.😪

Oh Sandi that is heartbreaking news.

I would get tested to see if you are okay and again tomorrow which will be 5 days after your husband's potential contact with the neighbour and the time covid19 is likely to show.

Ideally 10 days isolation after being in contact is the safest option.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I definitely feel it has to be testing right at embarkation.  I've never sailed out of Seattle and don't know if there's sufficient space there but the ideal would be to do a test in the terminal before boarding. 

I’m not sure how I feel about the testing.  There have been enough false positives that I am flying all the way to Europe and then refused boarding and it subsequently turned out it was a false positive, I would be a very unhappy camper.

If the ships are sailing fully vaccinated, in effect, most symptoms would be very mild so I’m not sure if there is really a need for it or not.

If the tests were more accurate, I think I would feel better about it.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure how I feel about the testing.  There have been enough false positives that I am flying all the way to Europe and then refused boarding and it subsequently turned out it was a false positive, I would be a very unhappy camper.

If the ships are sailing fully vaccinated, in effect, most symptoms would be very mild so I’m not sure if there is really a need for it or not.

If the tests were more accurate, I think I would feel better about it.

I feel the same way.  Also, my friend who had breakthrough Covid recently had 2 negative tests before getting a positive. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'll take those chocolate chip cookies that Roy doesn't care for; many praises for those serving in the Coast Guard; kids should be celebrated every day - they need to know they're special, and even though I'm a red wine drinker, I'll open a bottle of Pinot Grigio to celebrate White Wine Day.  You know, take one for the team . . .

What wonderful news about little Miss Camilla; saying prayers that all goes well for her and her family.  I'm willing to bet there was very little sleep in that house last night!

@StLouisCruisers my heart goes out to you - what a position to be in.  People can be so blase about this virus, and don't realize how it will affect others.

The temps have cooled down overnight, so much so that it almost feels chilly at 16C (60F).  I'm not complaining though, as we're looking at highs of 30 again in a day or two.  I think I'll take advantage of the cooler day and make some cookies in advance of the DGS's arrival.  I'll make a batch of chocolate chip, and one of raisin for DH, as well as some banana bread that can be turned into great French toast.

I like today's menu suggestion, but we're going to have a repeat of last night's taco dinner, as there was lots, and we have some tortilla shells that need to be used.  We'll be able to enjoy dinner comfortably on the deck tonight.  And wine.

1433098189_WhiteWine.png.0d71a3e8cec77cf498f5b1171498eb66.png

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Asking for extra prayers for my friend who will undergo a double mastectomy tomorrow, hoping all goes well for her and the surgery team.  Raising the glasses together to cheer all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, tell your neighbours if there's Covid in your house, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Extra prayers 🙏 are on there way for your friend tomorrow.

🤞Hopefully she has a very successful operation.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I feel the same way.  Also, my friend who had breakthrough Covid recently had 2 negative tests before getting a positive. 

Now you know why we aren't going out for rapid tests, but instead are just staying away from everyone.🤷‍♀️

• Like 10

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning to  all. Thanks  for  the  Daily,  Rich and  thank you  Roy for  our  lists. I  like  the  recipe today  and  the  quote  is  a  good  one.

Miss Camilla  left  the  NICU  and  went  home  with her  parents last  night. My  niece  and  her  husband(they  are  both  nurses ) set  up  a  monitoring  system that will  help  keep  track  of  her  heart  rate. I  am  awaiting  new  pictures as  the  doting  grandparents and  my  great  niece were  there  for  a  while  to  offer  assistance. I  hope  all  went  well  last  night. There  were  a  few  happy  tears  shed  here in  our  2  family  household  as  we  were  eating  dinner  together  when  we  got  the  news.

It  is  so  wonderful  to  have  good  news  to  tell  everyone  today!

Terry

Congratulations on Miss Camilla ‘graduating’ from NICU! How wonderful that she is home.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1