Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

11 minutes ago, drmel said:

I really don't want to wear a mask all week in Alaska.  We just cancelled everything.😢

I do not blame you. You may want to look into Royal Caribbean (RCI). Currently, Vaccinated people do not have to wear masks onboard in designated areas (vaccinated only). We just returned from a wonderful RCI Bahamas cruise on the AOS! If Princess still has the masking rules in effect for vaccinated passengers in October, I will cancel and jump on the RCI Navigator out of LA! 

Edited by HBCcruiser

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Why all the moans and groans ? All us Brits are quite happy  to undergo a test at the terminal. 

Adds to the safety  of the cruise - surely it is a good idea to not let anyone on board that tests positive for CV19 ?

AFIK In the US we would have to find the test on our own.  Anyone correct me if I misunderstand something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Why all the moans and groans ? All us Brits are quite happy  to undergo a test at the terminal. 

Adds to the safety  of the cruise - surely it is a good idea to not let anyone on board that tests positive for CV19 ?

And have you read about chances of false positives with the antigen?

This is over-the-top burden for fully-vaccinated folks.  Statistical chances of Covid are so remote.  It's time to realize will never go away and need to live with it reasonably.  

I imagine the cruise lines are walking on eggshells until the CSO expires or is lifted.  I can wait to cruise and not deal with the extras.  Lucky are the first ones out the gate who could avoid this extra PITA.

• Like 10

Well, this is a game changer for me.  I was on the fence about booking the 8/22/21 Alaska cruise for myself.  But this seems like just too much of a pain.  Even If Princess were doing it at the pier for everyone a false positive is just not a chance I want to take.  I will just wait and watch and continue planning for my 2/27/22 Caribbean cruise.  Final payment is not due until Nov. so hopefully the uptick in positive cases will be under control before that.  If not, then I will probably cancel and do a wait and see.

• Like 2

I was so looking forward to our cruise restart.  We are due to sail on Monday on the Serenade of the Seas and RCI just dropped the bomb the other day for the COVID testing for all vaccinated people (which we are.)  I thought, ok, we can handle this.  Now, we have to test for Princess.  We get off the Serenade of the Seas and have just a couple of days to get the test before we sail with Princess.  Good thing I have plenty of chocolate, ice cream and soda to calm my nerves.  What a mess.  Things would be so much easier if the cruise lines tell us when to test:  Monday sailing --- get tested on this day, etc.

**Just got my "Emergency Notification" from Princess regarding the testing and mask wearing, 

Good luck to everyone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

COVID testing for all vaccinated people (which we are.) 

This was not bad for us. Our health insurance covered the costs. We did the drive through at CCS. Easy. Now masks on the other hand....

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

We are scheduled for 8/15/2021 but looks like we are going to cancel.  What next no shore excursions? Just not worth a 5 hour flight  and 4 days in Seattle for the chance of a false positive on a vaccinated person.

• Like 2

I’m sailing out of Southampton on October 5th on 4b2b cruises. The only way I can manage the 72 hour prior to boarding test is to pay for another rapid test in the U.K. in addition to my day 2 test and my 72 hour prior to flying test. It’s too much work and expense. I’m canceling all my Princess cruises and requesting refunds.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Esjung1 said:

I'm reading the updated FAQ's and I'm wondering if they are testing at the pier for cruises that leave 8/8/21.

image.png.528c934cbe6b5de1e3c736f99b25a257.png

And it does just apply to the unvaccinated folks.  Here's the text from one of the earlier FAQs image.png.6b206eefe8a2e105b12c3c167272f6a2.png

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

The previous 'unvaccinated people will have to wear masks' was silly.

How would princess know who should and who should not be wearing masks?

I'm sure there's a way to include that info in the medallion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise Crazy 62 said:

I’m sailing out of Southampton on October 5th on 4b2b cruises. The only way I can manage the 72 hour prior to boarding test is to pay for another rapid test in the U.K. in addition to my day 2 test and my 72 hour prior to flying test. It’s too much work and expense. I’m canceling all my Princess cruises and requesting refunds.

I just saw this regarding B2B. Princess will pay for the testing:

"Yes, back-to-back bookings will be available for vaccinated guests on voyages sailing from the United States. If your cruise itinerary visits international ports outside the United States and Canada, you will be required to have a COVID-19 test performed near the end of any voyage where you will be continuing on the following voyage; Princess will cover the costs of the COVID-19 test administered onboard the ship. Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be isolated and denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit."

Edited by HBCcruiser

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Actually, there is very,  very little evidence of false positives.  

RIght - it was more false negatives.  Anecdotally, I don't think it's going to be much of a benefit or added assurance for the fully-vaccinated.

• Like 3

You know, I can understand the cruise lines rationale for these measures but for us, we are so done with everything now involved with cruising.  Requirements are changing daily whether it is CDC or the cruise lines or airlines or federal governments.

We had four Princess cruises booked, cancelled those that had substantial deposits and if things dont stabilize by year end (not likely)the rest will go.  Not going to deal with the stress of Covid testing requirements for travel.  Land vacations now till things improve.  

• Like 6

Folks on our Nov. 30th cruise are cancelling because of this update, and we're seriously thinking of taking that route, as well---no fun to have to be masked virtually everywhere when we're fully vaccinated.  AND the final tipping point is having to obtain a negative covid test within 3 days of embarkation.  This really takes the fun out of getting back to cruising.

Our final payment coming up right around the corner--Sept. 1st.  Time for a decision we hoped we wouldn't have to consider.

• Like 6

I do have sympathy for those affected by the new rules in the US. Why does Princess not adopt the same policy as in the UK? Proof of double vaccination required, and then a test at the terminal, paid for by Princess.  Passengers are held in the terminal until the individual test results come through (normally within 30 minutes or so) and then are allowed to board.  

With regards to mask wearing, the UK policy is that masks must be worn when moving around inside, or whilst seated in the theatre.  That seems pretty reasonable to me.  

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

This was not bad for us. Our health insurance covered the costs. We did the drive through at CCS. Easy. Now masks on the other hand....

We need fast turnaround so we have to do rapid antigen and insurance doesn't pay since we have no symptoms --- $139 x 4 (2 cruises x 2 people) --- ouch!